[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were there really people who laughed when he took his mask off?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 20
File: STARWARS-kylo-ren-awakens.jpg (47 KB, 640x379) Image search: [Google]
STARWARS-kylo-ren-awakens.jpg
47 KB, 640x379
Were there really people who laughed when he took his mask off? I was in the theatre today and nobody even said a word when it happened. I'm European though, maybe it's different in America.
>>
I didn't hear people laugh at that, but some woman was cackling every time something remotely funny happened.
>>
My dad laughed and called him ugly at a later point in the movie
>>
File: 239852599.png (208 KB, 396x492) Image search: [Google]
239852599.png
208 KB, 396x492
Unsurprising. Dumb audiences (the kind of people Jar Jar Abrams' films cater to) need to be told, through cheap psychological tricks, what to think throughout a film. So if it's not clumsy expositional dialogue, it's subliminal shit. Brave and strong characters are played by the likes of Channing Tatum, with his burly jaw and attractive neanderthal features; cowards are played by Paul Dano, with his weak chin and more boyish features.

Kylo Ren's personality is that of a coward who wishes to front as a badass on the same echelon as Vader, so he wears a mask and deepens his voice and wields an intimidating weapon. He wants so badly to be feared and respected. He's actually the most interesting part of that shitty film because he's more than just a mustache-twirling Machiavellian or a thick-headed brutish bastard. He has insecurities, motivations, and depth.

But of course, girls are too stupid to overcome their biological urges, so they see Kylo Ren's weak face and they think "eww what a creep lol"
>>
File: holy_newt.jpg (20 KB, 275x254) Image search: [Google]
holy_newt.jpg
20 KB, 275x254
>>25359847
i sat in front of a retarded kid who was still laughing about the animated film trailer from 40 minutes before
>>
>>25359847

jesus wtf is it with this board and falling for every stupid meme that pops up?
>>
I had to try really hard not to laugh when Kylo asked Rey to join the dark side when they were fighting. It was really poorly delivered.
>>
He reminds me a lot of Anakin from episode 3, and I guess that's what they were aiming for. I wonder why he wants to be in the dark side even if he feels the call to the light, we're probably going to get that answered in the later movies.
>>
>>25359847
Hes like the typical white autistic kid that will shoot up his school
>>
I was there a day after it came out and there were no gasps in my packed theater.

Personally I thought he was hot and most of the people I've talked to have agreed.
>>
No, but there were many laughs when the First Order did their nazi salute thing
>>
>>25359847
No one laughed in my theater and it was packed full, I live in the Midwest US
>>
I didn't hear anyone laugh then but there was a obnoxious autust who was booing really loudly when the star trek trailer came on
>>
>people on this board actually saw this normie film
>even went to the cinema
what the fuck is wrong with you? I thought this was robot9001 not normie9001
>>
>>25359847
I think the audience where I was in only audibly laughed when BB-8 used his flip-lighter thing to give Finn a thumbs up.
>>
>>25359847
Am I the only one who thinks this was a terrible, terrible movie and only Kylo was interesting?
>>
Everyone in the theatre clapped when he took the mask off here.
>>
>>25360867
Why? Because he wasn't chad?
>>
>>25359940
glad I'm not the only guy to go with his dad. it's the only thing we really share. He grinned like an idiot when C3PO popped up.

He said the film was a bit meh. Then again he's shown in the past that he likes star wars for all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>25360762
Same here. It didn't make me laugh at all but normies are different I guess.
>>
>>25360822
Oh forgot to add I also thought BB-8 was pretty cool.
>>
>>25360822
Nah I agree, the movie was terrible and only kylo/Finn were interesting, Luke looked cool too for the whole 60 seconds they showed him.
>>
>>25360822
You must be a faggot and underage if you think Kylo was at all interesting.
>>
>>25360822

Nah it was a piece of trash. Han and Kylo's arc was the only thing that almost resonated. The rest of the movie is noise.
>>
>>25360916
Im neither, faggot
>>
File: 1450254399421.jpg (23 KB, 552x424) Image search: [Google]
1450254399421.jpg
23 KB, 552x424
>>25359847
I only laughed because my girlfriend is anti semetic and she'd been blaming the jews throughout the movie

I might need to get her to stop being racist though
>>
>>25360982
The denial is strong with this one.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 618x411) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 618x411
i think he's kinda cute desu..

and no, nobody laughed.
>>
File: 24c.jpg (41 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
24c.jpg
41 KB, 625x626
>>25360982
dont take the bait anon
>>
>>25359949
>He's actually the most interesting part of that shitty film
>Not TR-8R
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 677x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 677x460
We all agree that Poe is super attractive, right?
>>
Also, Kylo Ren isn't actually in the original SW lore right? Abrams just made him up, as far as I could tell.

I'm not even a SW nerd and even I thought that was retarded.

Pic related, it's the cuck himself
>>
>>25361098
I liked Kylo Ren and Finn both better than Poe actually
>>
>>25361062
Hes the type of guy you want to have a beer with, and sit in your basement playing WoW and Dayz with. People make fun of him because they are jealous an average looking guy actually made it far in life. Most of the time you have to look like a goddamn Hollister Model to make it. But this time and average Joe out of the Marines did. And it pisses people off because they always used excuses for why they never made it, but when they see this guy they realize none of their excuses were valid ones.
>>
>>25361111
The Expanded universe was redubbed 'legends', so everything other than the 6 previous films, and the two animated series' is now, not canon. This got rid of a lot of characters and plot points that could be expanded on, thus the new characters.

A number of new novels and comics are being released though, these will be considered canon, and may affect future installments.
>>
>>25359847
One of girls sitting right by me sounded like she wanted his dick
During the mask off reveal she said "Heeeey~"
>>
>>25361111
In the expanded universe, Leia and Han Solo had twins. A boy and a girl.

But it was all retconned for this/JJ's story.
>>
>>25361146
>>25361149
Interesting, thanks.

Are there any legit SW nerds here who are like really mad about this? Because I'd be pretty mad I think.
>>
>>25361149
>But it was all retconned for this/JJ's story.
That has yet to be confirmed, it wasn't even confirmed that Mary Sue was Luke's daughter, there's still room for some roundabouts.
>>
>>25361117
Poe reminded me of Han, thats why I like him
>>
>>25361172
I'm not a legit nerd, but I did have a grimace on my face and shook my head when he took off his mask.

He looked nothing like his parents, and his story was probably the worst plot device I have ever seen. It's literally a baby throwing a tantrum/fit because daddy issues.

The dark side is supposed to be about attaining power from negative emotions to act as a reason to attain such power. Like fear of losing a loved one, to your own mortality, or ruling the universe.

But because you hate your dad for letting your uncle train you in how to calm your temper and focus your control of the force? Lame as sin.
>>
>>25360822
It was awful. Character development was sacrificed in order to have more events so it was hard to care about anything that happened. This should have been a BBC series like game of thrones. Imagine having the first game of thrones season packed into 2 hours, thats what the movie was.
>>
>>25361394
But from what I understand they are planning to make a lot more SW movies. Why did they stuff so much into 1 movie when more are coming?
>>
>>25361438
because the rich people in charge of this stuff are downright retarded, just like their audience
have you ever seen an executive write a letter? they can't fucking write in proper english, what they see on facebook they bring into real life
>>
>>25361438
I don't know. Maybe they thought the audience would get bored if there wasn't an explosion every 5 minutes. Apparently the next movie will have a different director so it might be better.
>>
>>25361217
It was confirmed the moment Han Solo and Leia saw Rey. She isn't their daughter.

In one of the trailers, Luke talks to Rey. About the lineage of her powers, the force. "My father had it, my sister has it. I have it, and now you have it." We did not see this at the end of the movie, but it will most likely turn up in the next.

Luke is Rey's father, the Lightsaber is from The Empire Strikes back, after he got his hand cut off, as he still has his Green Lightsaber he built.
>>
>>25359847
He is kind of young, average or nerdy looking. People laugh when they are expecting maybe an older scarier looking dude.
>>
>>25361518
Also adding: Kylo wants the blue Lightsaber as it is Anakin's lightsaber when he finally went full dark side. You know, killing the Kids to attempting to kill Obi Wan. He wants Darth Vaders strength.
>>
This'll sound like worse fanfiction than the movie itself: The theatre I sat in was half filled with little lolis that d'awwwd and giggled at anything.
>>
File: darth revan.jpg (92 KB, 746x1056) Image search: [Google]
darth revan.jpg
92 KB, 746x1056
>>25361111
Ren is just a reimagining Darth Revan from KOTOR.
>>
>>25361098
Very forgettable character, it doesn't help that he suddenly disappears and then reappears with no explanation whatsoever, also the ace pilot trope and so on.
>>
File: Draper 2.jpg (10 KB, 215x276) Image search: [Google]
Draper 2.jpg
10 KB, 215x276
>>25359949

Audiences have been conditioned out of understanding subtext. Ham-handed dialogue explains shit to them, but you can tell they think it was clever and low key and "deep" when they wrote it.

I remember watching Mad Men while my sister had some of her female friends over one time. They were fucking around on their phones of course, and when it was over they all said some variation of "omg I heard nothing ever happened on this show and it's true. But he's (Jon Hamm) SOOOO HAWT!"

As for Kylo he was definitely interesting. No one laughed when he took off the helm when I saw it.

He tries to be something he's not, and can't be. A Vader fan-boy. Even the First Order higher-ups kind of thought he was a joke.

Next time I want to see why he turned to the dark in the first place.

Rey is a boring ass Mary Sue who somehow went from asking Han if the Jedi were real one day, to mastering Force powers and saber combat 2 days later and beating a guy who's been trained the most powerful Sith and Jedi currently alive.
>>
File: 1362684290165.gif (248 KB, 320x176) Image search: [Google]
1362684290165.gif
248 KB, 320x176
>>25361769

>Disney killed the EU
>there will be no Revan or Bane movies
>>
Can someone explain to me why Star Wars is even popular? Serious question, I don't really understand the appeal. I'm not a hater but it seems to be meh-tier sci-fi.
>>
>>25362408
It was amazing for the 70s, so that gen liked it, which was then passed down for two generations, the prequels happened which gave it a bad name, then the promise of a new big trilogy that would right all the wrongs comes along, gets previous fans excited, and generation XD bandwagons on because they're herd mentality faggots.
>>
>>25362408

>Completely original universe
>Unmatched special Effects made people shit their seats in the theatre
>Likeable Characters
>Good music tracks
>Rythm
>>
>>25359847
Saw it twice. Both times women in their late teens to late 20s bursted out laughing at his face. They did the same thing every time his face was shown.
>>
>>25359847
Saw it once so far, a couple people chuckled the first time he took off his mask but that was it. IMO he was the most sympathetic and interesting character in the film and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the next few movies.
>>
>>25361062
you know, he kinda looks like wojack
>>
>>25361062
He has a fucking amazing head of hair
>>
There was a big laugh at BB-8's thumbs up, but nothing else
>>
yeah, some dudebros in the back chuckled when he took it off
>>
I have to say I was disappointed cause I expected someone really attractive, like the guy who played Anakin, but he got more attractive to me as the movie progressed. The bitchout rage scenes took away from it though.
>>
File: 1419582371712.png (164 KB, 409x325) Image search: [Google]
1419582371712.png
164 KB, 409x325
I expected him to never take off the mask.
>>
>laughing at the only character who was remotely enjoyable in this shitty flick
why
>>
>>25359926
Fucking this. The number one reason I hate movie theaters in America. Massive laugh for anything that's barely funny.
>>
>>25359847
It was audible in Germany. Strangely only during the scene where he revealed himself to Han, not the first time when it was to Rey. I think it fit better because it was supposed to be more dramatic with Han.
>>
>>25361098
>just a mustache-twirling Machiavellian or a thick-headed brutish bastard. He has insecurities, motivations, and depth.

he's a faggot tho
>>
>>25362688

>completely original universe

It was actually a mash-up of already existing stuff. Tattooine stuff was Dune, droids was Asimov, Jedi were like buddhist samurai, etc etc etc
>>
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 896x1151) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 896x1151
Enough! Non-canon!
>>
>>25366788

The bitch-out rage scenes was the point of his character, being likable or attractive in any way wasn't
>>
>>25367856
ADMIRAL ACKBAR!
>>
File: han-solo-dies.jpg (30 KB, 650x606) Image search: [Google]
han-solo-dies.jpg
30 KB, 650x606
Don't care what anyone says, the dialog in this scene was cool and made kiling off Han Solo justifiable. Besides, Han will return as a ghost, calling it right now.
>>
>>25362267
>mastering Force powers and saber combat 2 days later and beating a guy who's been trained the most powerful Sith and Jedi currently alive.

This. How the hell did she defeat Kylo? Even if she's a natural in the force Kylo is undoubtedly a better spar-er than someone who's just started using a sword.
>>
File: 1450747594480.jpg (13 KB, 240x311) Image search: [Google]
1450747594480.jpg
13 KB, 240x311
>>25359949
>Kylo Ren's weak face and they think "eww what a creep lol"
Girl literally said this while laughing about him while walking out of theater. Another one with her mocked his voice and said "uugh I don't have girlfriend, I hate you dad!"
>>
>>25368128

At this point it's just a Mary Sue, but they could also be building her up for a big fall in the future. Episode VIII has to have a "Luke, I am your father" moment, and she seemed to have been abandoned on purpose for some reason.
>>
>>25368189
>uugh I don't have girlfriend, I hate you dad!"

Normie slut doesn't realize that is instrumental to his character.
>>
>>25368204
>Episode VIII has to have a "Luke, I am your father" moment, and she seemed to have been abandoned on purpose for some reason.

Absolutely everything is magical and thus nothing is. Han Solo isn't some human badass nor Leia they're force sensitive. Rey isn't some random scavenger she's x's daughter and force sensitive. Nig trooper isn't some random clone trooper with a conscience but force sensitive. Pilot isn't really dead nor is Han Solo if he's expected to come back as a ghost.
>>
>>25368128
Who's to say Kylo or Snoke know shit about anything? Kylo is an amateur who's barely been trained and Snoke probably barely knows anything about the force.
>>
>>25368288

No way is Han coming back as a ghost. Maybe in flashbacks. Harrison Ford wanted Han to die in the original trilogy so he didn't have to play him again, this was likely his conditions for playing the part again
>>
>>25368301
>Who's to say Kylo or Snoke know shit about anything? Kylo is an amateur who's barely been trained and Snoke probably barely knows anything about the force.

Kylo has several years of sparring practice almost definitely having grown up a jedi and trained by Luke. Snoke is the most powerful Sith in the galaxy.
>>
>>25368355

We'll see if it's just Mary Sue or if it's part of her backstory.

She was abandoned for a reason. Maybe she was the next Chosen One and they tried to stash her away because they remembered what happened with Anakin last time around.
>>
Imagine Kylo Ren played by Michael Fassbender lads.
>>
just one lady let out a revolted gasp but quickly stopped herself
>>
>>25368355
Who says Luke let them spar? Maybe Kylo killed someone the first time he touched a lightsaber.

Nothing suggests Snoke is a "sith" and even if he was the most powerful dark force user that might mean nothing.

It's just as easy to make a reasonable explanation for things as it is to search for plot holes.
>>
>>25361769
Pls don't compare Revan to this trash its very disgraceful
>>
some girl screamed "ugly hoe"
>>
I did too. I don't know why.
>>
>>25368521
That weird orange lady even distinctly referred to the New Order as being different from the sith
>>
>>25360822
It was shit
PEW PEW PEW, mary sue girl luke, no plot or charactet development at all
The movie just said "this is happening" instead of explaining why
>>
>>25368117
I don't think anyone who doesn't have any force powers can be a ghost
>>
File: fran.png (188 KB, 661x372) Image search: [Google]
fran.png
188 KB, 661x372
>>25361062

this, desu i think he have a few things going for him: mainly his hair and height. In the movie "frances ha" he even plays a chadhipster womanizer/player (pic related
>>
>>25361098
oscar isaac's natural charismatic and suave nature sold me on poe. he's not dark or riddled with ptsd, which was a good balance from kylo ren's complicated situation.
>>
>>25370018
This guy's an interesting actor. I've seen him in Inside Llewyn Davis, Ex Machina, and this movie, and I've always liked watching him but I've never recognized him from movie to movie (it doesn't help that I'm really bad with faces). It will be cool to see him in more stuff.
>>
I laughed because of his hair, not his face. I mean what kind of a fucking sithlord has fuccboi hair?
>>
>All these people hating the new movie
It might be thematically identical to episode 4 but I really liked it and I'm gonna see it a second time. And you fags can't do anything to stop me from enjoying myself.
>>
the guy sitting next to me in the theater said "that's the dark side..." when Ren stabbed Solo.

What the fuck did he mean? I'm trying to figure out how it's not just a retarded verbal tic. The guy was also clapping when anything happened (chewie and han appeared, the falcon appeared, some old shit appeared, etc).
>>
>>25367856

For me canon are only movies 4,5,6 and two comics: Darth Vader Purge and Darth Vader Ghost Prison.
>>
>>25359847
WHO IS REN WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?!?
>>
>>25371144

This. I just like the story of Vader. When he wasn't some kinda Space Jesus, just a guy who felt betrayed and was manipulated, then become monster and at the end redemed himself.

Why they make this jesus crap "hurr i'm special snowflake, no training, but i can do everything"
>>
File: 1451463012636.png (803 KB, 842x842) Image search: [Google]
1451463012636.png
803 KB, 842x842
>>25369779
>Disney
>>
>>25368117
You have to be a force pontiff to unlock the ghost power.
>>
File: GOD-AWFUL.jpg (17 KB, 336x425) Image search: [Google]
GOD-AWFUL.jpg
17 KB, 336x425
If the first order is an upstart group of fascist reactionaries, why didn't the republic stop them?

Don't they have an Army?

Kylo Ren blows up like six planets that apparently govern the galaxy for some reason. Literally who were they?
>>
>>25368128
Well, he was shot by Chewie's crossbow bolt laser gun thing, in his side. And we know that weapon is supposed to be a OHK. And he even sprinted ahead of Finn and Rey when they had a head start getting out of the base.

He also may have been further exhausted during his duel with Finn and then had a disadvantage.
>>
>>25359847

I saw it three times in the same threater; don't ask why.

Some people laughed at the face reveal only during the third showing (last sunday).

I don't know, man. Some people are just like that.
>>
>>25359949
>>25362267
>2deep4u

damn son, why don't you guys go to some literature academia, you'd make tones of friends there
>>
>>25371327
The Chancellor of the Republic before it got rekt was named Lanever Villecham. Villecham is a reference to Neville Chamberlain.

That should clue you in as to why the First Order got as powerful as they did.

Poetry
>>
Holy fuck I hate being ugly so much
>>
I laughed when he had his fits of rage
>>
>>25359949
I think Kylo's a pretty amazing character and that these movies will probably be mountains better than anything Lucas ever produced.

The biggest issue in star wars is when the stories are god awful black and white (dark side/light side) shit shows. Kylo is looking like he's being built up to become some sort of "Grey Jedi". If Abrams actually does end up doing that I think the movies will be great and Kylo's character will be as well.

Also I think he's really cute.
>>
>>25361172
>Are there any legit SW nerds here who are like really mad about this?

I don't really care because my head canon is all that matters. The Clone Wars Anakin and the movie Anakin are two completely different characters and the Clone Wars Anakin is pretty awesome so he's my head canon vader.

I don't give a fuck what some kike director tells me is canon, or what some losers on the internet tell me is canon. It's a fucking fictional universe with spaceships and lightsabers I'll believe whatever the fuck I want to about it.
>>
>>25367239
There was this obnoxious woman, possibly a mother, who kept laughing at each little joke they made even the ones that weren't supposed to be funny! I assume she was using her phone and laughing at what she was looking at instead but still annoyingly none of the less. Also there was these kids who probably thought they were hot shit since they "knew" everything and said "OH HE DIED" or "HE'S LUKE" holy shit I wanted yell at those kids. Next time I'll remind myself to pirate the movie since, most of the time, the experience isn't worth it.
>>
>>25372472
This, he was hurting bad during the entire fight.
>>
>>25359847
The movies might have been good had they been designed with Kylo as the main character. Seriously he's the most intriguing character in all the seven films, besides maybe Boba Fett.

>seems like a hardcore badass who doesn't take shit from anyone
>actually he's a scrawny twerp who wants to appear tougher than he is, and rule with an iron fist he doesn't really possess

fuck Dindu and fuck the girl, this guy could have a great self-discovery arc.
>>
>>25362408

The special effects were revolutionary in the 70s, it follows archetypal literary tropes almost perfectly, and its marketability is absolutely insane.
>>
File: camel.jpg (5 KB, 332x152) Image search: [Google]
camel.jpg
5 KB, 332x152
First time I saw it the theater was packed and a few people laughed. Last night I watched it in a theater empty except for me and one other dude. We were both silent the whole movie but this guy giggled like a schoolgirl when Kylo sperged out and destroyed that wall of monitors. Which one of you was it?
>>
>>25367114
That is how it should have been. The emperors face was mostly obscured by the hoods shadow. Darth Vader had his head gear. Give some sort of mystery to them, not give it away, especially if you are going to make sequels with them in it.
>>
>>25376562
2001 outdid it in the 60's.
>>
>>25371224
He trained in the prequels.
>>
>>25377141
Why did you watch it twice withing a few weeks??
>>
>>25361378
or maybe because he's the most powerful force user ever and everyone wants to hold him back from his true potential. I mean, I can see how that would make a young guy angry as fuck
>>
>>25361062
He's rather qt imo. Conventionally attractive men are forgettable.
>>
>>25360822
Nice edges, you fuck. It was literally the same exact film as the first series from the 70s. If you didn't like it, you don't like Star Wars. It was a remake of A New Hope.
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.