[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else failed normie here? >master in mathematics >almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 57117b4f4b559.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
57117b4f4b559.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
Anyone else failed normie here?

>master in mathematics
>almost no job experience
>can't get nojobs
>live with parents at the tender age of 27
>thinking about suicide daily
>>
File: isol.png (404 KB, 830x639) Image search: [Google]
isol.png
404 KB, 830x639
>got STEM degree
>NEET 2 years
>Got STEM job for 3 years
>Got my own apartment
>Started getting invited out
>Got GF
>Quit job
>Broke up with GF
>Lived as NEET on my own for 4 years
>Ran out of money
>Had to move back in with parents
>Never leave my room

I was so close!!!
>>
Can't you solve one of those billion dollar prize problems or whatever?
>>
Become a math teacher? Maybe a private tutor?
>>
>>29739436
>masters in mathematics

that's a nice achievement, mathematics is not an easy major for most people
>>
>>29739509
Achievements don't put money in the bank.
>>
>>29739480
>got STEM degree
what major?
>>
>>29739515
Well money isn't everything
At least you can die knowing you proved yourself in the eyes of society and did your duty
Even it doesn't work out you passed the milestones set for you by our tribe
>>
>>29739577
information science, lowliest of the stems
>>
File: 1446889590167.jpg (75 KB, 656x547) Image search: [Google]
1446889590167.jpg
75 KB, 656x547
>>29739436
>go to grade school
>demolish everything with no effort
>dont study but still make As on tests
>go to high school
>im sure it will be just as easy, join honors classes
>they give you tons more work that's just as easy
>never did the work and got 0s on all homework assignemnts but As on tests which gives me just average GPA
>everyone thinks im a genius because of this
>clearly meant for higher education
>mother is a retarded conservative who herself went to veterinary school and advises me that not everyone has to go to college
>father is of course absent because retarded mother divorced him even though he's a genius
>believe mother and do nothing after high school because I assume everything will come to be because I can just pass aptitude tests
>end up working some shit deli job and think I'll get promoted quickly because of performance
>everyone there is a retard and so management thinks im retarded too
>treat me like a retard
>get mad, never get promoted
>cycle continues on and off while still being NEET
>eventually realize how retarded my mother's advice is and how college is a necessity thanks to IQ tests being banned because >racist
>just some random shitty community college credits here and there
>get rejected from university of texas due to shit gpa
>am about to turn 27
>life going nowhere and I can feel that my brain isn't as good as it used to be

how did it come to this
>>
File: 1464878296067.png (314 KB, 338x397) Image search: [Google]
1464878296067.png
314 KB, 338x397
>>29739586
I'm so sorry.

>>29739508
My cuck country requires a very specific 2 years education programme for even be eligible to apply for teaching jobs.

Private tutor is an option that I am unsuccessfully pursuing.
>>
>>29739616
Take more CC classes and get a decent GPA. Then transfer to university of shit. Not that hard.
>>
Go into finance. You could become an actuary or quant.
>>
>>29740028
This is just a meme unfortunately that largely died in the 2008 crash.
>>
>>29739436
>Masters in maths
>unemployed
>hasnt joined the Airforce yet

Goes to show that book smarts and a piece of paper mean fuck all, you dont even have basic common sense and assertion.
>>
>>29740044
Then my job must be a meme. Physics graduate working as a quant here.
>>
>>29740058
>implying that I am amerifat
>>
>>29740188
did you take a lot of statistic or economy classes?
>>
No, not really
More of a robot
Failed normie is a jizzardchan meme I refuse to accept as a label for me
I have a different definition of it and I think Robot is really a spectrum thing
>>
I used to be studying my dream jerb until i got hit with an auto immune disease.
Now i live with my elderly mother and am on welfare
>>
if you have any degree sign up to teach english in korea or japan or the philipines or basically anywhere in SEA.

easy job, force you out of your comfort zone, worst case scenario you cana do it long term (most people only do it for a year or two) and just live the life you're living right now except with a decent job in an exotic land with faster internet
>>
>>29740772
No, just learned by myself. It's not a requirement to have formal finance education.
>>
>>29739436

That's basically my situation, except I fell for the PhD meme.

Recently I've given up trying to find a real job, and am looking at postdocs. Maybe I'll have more luck there.
>>
>STEM degree from top uni
>NEET 2 years
>go to grad school 9 months
>get kicked out due to grades
>now 25 y/o NEET
how long will it be this time? i think i'll hold off killing myself until my parents get fed up with my leeching
>>
>>29740925
more info? any study guides you followed?
>>
>>29741152
The base book to be a quant is Hull (Options, futures, and other derivatives). If you can understand and learn it, you're well on your way to becoming a quant.
>>
>>29740759
Sucks to suck.

Have fun being a neet.
>>
>>29739436

H-how?

Isn't Advanced mathematics really relatable to many fields so employment shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>29741607
that's what they tell you at orientation
>>
Similar story to some of the anons here:

>ace school, excellent grades etc.
>loser nerd, but at least I have potential, right?
>do physics degree at top uni
>get first class (highest possible degree classification for you non UK fags)
>but summers were spent playing vidya so no work experience
>no gf, only friends online, KHV etc.
>not exactly a happy camper, but vidya keeps me going
>can't interview for shit so no internships
>have no real desire to wagecuck anyway
>figure doing a PhD is comfy and safe
>go to grad school for masters
>mental health gets significantly worse
>for no reason, I lose interest in subjects that I previously enjoyed
>massive anxiety about leaving the house
>trouble sleeping all year
>spend time playing vidya, watching films, browsing 4chan etc.
>closest I come to physics is posting on /sci/
>predictably fail a bunch of exams even when I drink enough to get me out of the house to take them
>no clue what to do now

I can resit the exams next year, but my parents have no idea that I've fucked up. They think I'm working hard, that my exams went well and that I'm generally living a great life ... that I'm going on to do great things. To be honest, I just want to stay inside with my hobbies for the rest of my life. I guess I can move back in with them, but they'll still expect me to get a job ... and I'm not sure I can put up with their disappointment. I feel like everyone expects me to be somebody and I've wasted all of that potential because I'm lazy and weak.

If I'd actually worked this year, I could have got a PhD and had a few more years without a job. I feel like people would put up with general spergishness/reclusiveness from a physics PhD. People say that it's not all it's cracked up to be though.

Like I said, I have no idea where this leaves me. The lack of work experience is a cavernous hole in my CV. Why hire me when you can hire someone with social skills and work experience?
>>
>>29739436
jeri?
>>
>>29741855
Why don't you just become numbers?
>>
File: promotions.jpg (18 KB, 252x221) Image search: [Google]
promotions.jpg
18 KB, 252x221
>Ph.D in math
>$0.00 starting
>all of the GBP I want
>>
>>29741998
Which uni did you go to? Britfag here as well, looking to do physics. How did you find it?
>>
>>29742550

(part 1)

Don't think that I should say because the number of people who fit those criteria is very small. Besides, my experience browsing /sci/ is that all courses cover much the same material and ideas.

But anyway, I definitely enjoyed the subject matter. It's a great degree. I'll make a few general comments:

You will spend a great deal of time learning mathematics in the first couple of years. I think that's why admissions care much more about maths grades than physics grades because physics at school doesn't really amount to much. Hence, you'd better enjoy and be good at maths. Moreover, I think that the barrier to success for many students is mathematical fluency, particularly later on in the degree.

Courses are structured in much the same way. You'll spend the first two years doing a mixture of mathematics and getting a general grounding in physics. Then you'll spend the following year or two choosing more niche options. The idea is to give you the general tools of any physicist at the start and then extend them to more complicated/niche/modern areas. And you'll probably have to do labs as well.

Labs are not actually that bad. I think that they're quite helpful in understanding the both the applications as well as limitations of physics. You spend a lot of time trying to understand why the results you have only approximately match the theories/expectations. Do computational labs if you can because good coding skills broaden your CV and lots of research makes use of them if that's something that you intend to pursue.

I think the reputation for difficulty is fair. You have to juggle difficult concepts as well as keep a firm handle on quite a disparate amount of mathematics. However, unlike a humanities subject, there is a clear idea of what has to be learned (in order to pass the exams). If you put the work in and make use of additional resources, then you can do very well.
>>
>bachelors in mathematics
>starting phd program in fall
>never had a job for more a month
>living with parents still
Maybe things will turn around
>>
>>29742550

(cont.)

I strongly recommend actually looking at the suggested textbooks for your courses. Lecturers always suggest them and then basically no one pays any attention. They are a goldmine. I cannot tell you what difference it makes to see essentially the same ideas/information expressed in a slightly different style. Sometimes, if you can't make much sense of your lecturer, reading someone else's take on the material is invaluable.

Take any maths course you can. If you want to do physics options instead, you might still find benefit in looking over the maths in your spare time. Do maths over the summer between years.

If you want to go on to further study, all anyone cares about is good grades. If you have your heart set on MSc, PhD etc. then put in the work at undergrad. Seriously, getting a first is good, but putting in very high marks (>90%) looks very impressive. Likewise, if you have a 'final project' of some kind, invest serious time because it will crop up in interviews.

If you just want the degree, obviously doing well is great ceteris paribus, but not at the risk of becoming a depressed, alcoholic robot. Employers really do care about bullshit like social skills and work experience and internships. Even if you can't get a summer job for work experience, volunteer or do something so that there aren't massive CV gaps. Clubs/societies are good CV fodder too and you can pick up new stuff. However, many are full of casuals (or at least people unwilling to reveal their power level).

Don't do what I did. Don't get horribly depressed and then not seek any help for fear of looking weak, self-medicate with alcohol and general waste away, leading you to screw up the entire trajectory of your life. Don't do that. Getting depressed is fine, not seeking help isn't.

Anyway, where we you thinking of applying/where have you applied? What do your predicted/achieved grades look like? What else would you like to know?
>>
>>29743189
Wow, thank you for the (You), was really informative. I do Physics, Maths, Computing in sixth form and Further Maths externally, and got predicted A* in physics, A* in maths and an A in computing, but I screwed up Further Maths bad (probably gonna get an E, was focusing on core subjects + own life)
Went to a Cambridge open day recently and looks really nice there, but I probably won't get in. I'm planning to apply to some of the Russell group unis like Durham, Bath and Warwick though.

What kind of mathematical topics did you encounter on your course?
>>
>>29739436
at least you're smart

im like you but only have highschool diploma

so go earn 100k a year you fucking faggot you dont have any right to complain
>>
File: 1464879932252.png (378 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
1464879932252.png
378 KB, 960x768
>>29743026
>mfw too shit to do phd
>>
>>29740058
this

how can you fucking haev a master in mathemetics but am too dumb to find a job?

OP is full of shit
>>
>>29743578

Typically, they'll have to spend a while making sure that everyone is on the same page, because students have done all kinds of syllabuses, so don't be surprised if it starts off easy. Course-wise, this is the sort of thing that I'd expect to be covered in most physics courses:

- Analysis: limits, series, calculus, numerical methods, maybe some set theory
- Complex Analysis: basics, functions of complex variables, calculus in the complex plane
- Linear Algebra: vectors and matrices
- Multivariable Calculus
- Statistics: types of distributions, errors and uncertainty (crucial to experimentalists)
- Fourier Series and Transforms (maybe Laplace Transforms too)
- Differential Equations

There are more advanced topics that you may encounter:
- Group Theory: this is really a study of transformations and symmetry operations, but has some very neat applications to physics
- Differential Geometry: if you do any general relativity or high level field theory stuff then you'll end up doing a lot of DG.
- Computational: if you do any computational physics, you'll learn a lot about numerical methods for solving equations - computational physics is basically solving mathematical problems which are relevant to physics (read: complicated differential equations).

Most branches of physics pick and choose bits from these. Most of these have their own little quirks of notation or use additional bits. I suppose you can argue that quantum mechanics has its own separate formalism; certainly it has additional notation and operators which would probably qualify it as a separate mathematical branch.

Moreover, if you do a lot of theoretical options, then the line between maths and physics becomes increasingly blurred.

Also, if you want good university advice, you're probably better on thestudentroom than here (or /adv/ or /sci/)
>>
>>29739436
>Dick around in high school but get into UNC as an out-of-state student
>Good school, and I qualify for a program that let's me attend for 4 years without having to pay any tuition
>A free $120,000~ education
>Do fine with grades, but I skip classes I don't enjoy so I fail the ones that have mandatory attendance policies, end up on academic-probation so I leave after my first year and move back home
>Been working at Five Guys for 5 years after that
>Almost make it again, get a literal 10/10 girlfriend who is my first, and I'm her first. Pure virgin.
>After 2 years she falls out of love with me and cheats on me
>Still a virgin because she had vaginismus and after falling out of love with me she made no efforts to improve her condition
>tfw had a really beautiful girlfriend, still a virgin, still got cucked
>Around people I can alternate between being the funniest guy ever and being the most awkward guy ever
>This is because I joke a lot, so I'm bound to make a few ones that aren't hits. I might say something I think is really funny, I'll laugh hard, and everybody will just look at me oddly
I guess I blew my chances a few times. I think I could definitely still get a really beautiful girlfriend and lose my virginity, but after my whore of an ex, I've just lost the motivation to ever deal with women again as many men before me have. Feels bad man.
>>
>>29743970
What is autism, Alex?
>>
>>29739616
>get rejected from university of texas due to shit gpa
Tbh getting in is hard if you don't have automatic admission. They probably give all of the spots to minorities too.
>>
>>29739579
>money isn't everything

Bahahaha! Might as well kill yourself or go live in the fuckall Amazon and feed yourself with idealism, because on this rock MONEY. IS. ALL. Period.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.