[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Therapy thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Anime marijuana.png (257 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Anime marijuana.png
257 KB, 450x450
Has anyone here been to therapy? Did it help you? What can I expect from my first therapy session?

I'm going to a therapist over my insecurities over my height and numerous other things and health anxiety.

What is it like, /r9k/?
>>
File: 1467286169879s.jpg (3 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
1467286169879s.jpg
3 KB, 250x186
>fell for my therapist the moment we met
>still check out her facebook and have an increasing number of photos of her on my computer
>not even that into her anymore, I just like looking at her
>>
>>29678790
It varies wildly based on the therapist you see

You might have to try out multiple therapists until you hit the right one
>>
I've been to therapy before, but I don't go anymore since I feel okay.

What exactly did you want to know about it?
>>
I'm about to go in right now. To be honest a lot if it seems to be repetitive, but it's helpful even just to get bad feels off of my chest. The overall theme I've been getting is the obvious long-term versus short-term satisfaction from your actions, and if you can make your actions align with your long-term desires, you're likely to be happier, or at least more fulfilled. He made a good point too, just like stubbing your toe is a short moment of pain, happiness is the same way. When you laugh at a joke, eat tasty food, hold someone close, the happiness is temporary, and always will be.
>>
Did CBT for OCD for about eight months. Therapist taught me some coping mechanisms (breathing exercises and so on) to curb anxiety. It was marginally helpful. I certainly wouldn't bother if i had to pay out of pocket for it. This was on the government's dime because it was a referral from my regular doctor who referred me psychiatrist who referred me to therapist.
>>
>>29679057
Oh, to OP re; first appointment, they will just ask you a bunch of questions about your history and current problems. This will take up the first few appointments.
>>
I think I'd like to see one. But I don't know how. I've never even made a doctor appointment before, I don't have a "primary care physician" or "family doctor" or whatever who would refer me to one. I have insurance but I've never used it and I don't know how.
>>
>>29678790

>First therapist I ever saw
>Extremely chill Indian guy
>Would very gently correct all my weird assumptions and beliefs that I had as a result of my robotdom
>Tended to focus on the physical side of mental health: lots of emphasis on meditation and stretches
>My panic attacks stopped
>I decided I didn't need therapy anymore
>Stopped seeing him

>Second therapist I saw
>Nice, but extremely patronizing and dismissing of a lot of the things I said
>I ignored that red flag like an idiot
>I was 17 at the time
>One day he decided to get my parents involved, he called them, and he told them a bunch of stuff about me being weird and suicidal and lonely that I didn't want them to know
>They yelled at me
>Stopped seeing him

>Third therapist I saw
>Actually a psychiatrist
>Nice guy, but ultimate Normie chad
>Handsome, 6'3'', came from wealthy family, was athlete in High School, went to Ivy League college, married a beautiful wife, become a successful psychiatrist with his own practice
>Nice and extremely helpful when it came to prescriptions and finding the right medication
>But he gave the worst Normie tier advice
>"Be yourself" had always worked for him, so he assumed it worked for everyone
>He assumed that, if I wasn't as successful as him, it was because I wasn't trying - even though at that point I was working out, getting my grades up, and forcing myself to go outside more, he still assumed that if I was single it meant I just wasn't putting in effort
>I realized that I'd started dreading appointments
>Had nothing in common with Chad psychiatrist
>Stopped seeing him

>Fourth therapist I saw
>Still seeing her
>I'm currently in college
>A girl rejected me because I'm short, so I went on to talk about in therapy one session
>Therapist told me that girls don't care about height
>What
>Fucking normies
>I sperged out and, next session, brought in a bunch of different studies about how much girls care about height and just how bad being short is in every way
Cont.
>>
I went to therapy in college. didn't really seem to help too much, but it was nice to go. I just say I want to change, but never do anything about it.
>>
>>29679238
Cont.
>This sperging out basically sets the tone for all future sessions
>Lots of arguing
>She is extremely feminist
>But shes nice
>Unlike Normie chad, she actually makes an effort to relate to me despite having nothing in common with me
>Still seeing her because she's easy to talk to
>>
>>29679108
OP here.

Thank you, anon.
>>
>>29679223
You go to a walk-in clinic, tell doctor you are having problems with depression/anxiety whatever it is, ask for referral. This is the usual procedure as psychiatrists don't normally take appointments without a referral anyway.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.