[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legit question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Why the fuck are people so cynical these days, and only care about money and achievements?

It's like in the older days, people used to be much more sincere, passionate about non-materialistic goals, but today, it seems like all these companies and brands, that have acquired better and better means of production to produce things of better quality, they still push towards quantity and overproduction, to the point where we have so much shit in our stores and warehouses that consumers can not ever hope to consume, which all goes to waste, in the dumpsters.

What has happened to innocence? What happened to people just taking time to appreciate simple little things they have in their lives? Why is it that people live in constant craving of new everything, while taking so little time to appreciate what they've got, to recycle it, to use it more than once?

Fuck all this irony and postmodernist bullshit. Why can't people just be considerate, practice proper manners and respect each other, instead of hiding behind irony and cynicism, in order to cover their apathy, bitterness and cowardice?

Could /r9k/ tell me where has innocence gone in today's modern world? Where could it be found?
>>
>>29628724

>Atheism is the problem!! Those damn atheists!!!
>Men aren't "real men" anymore
>Leftist cucks are ruining everything and destroying civilization with their policies

There, I just summarized the three main types of replies you will get. I see them brought up frequently in these types of discussions.
>>
File: 1443559255132.jpg (78 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
1443559255132.jpg
78 KB, 500x490
>>29628724

I don't know about you OP, but I recycle my memes, and I use them more than once.
>>
>>29628724
>money
>achievements
>these days

Stopped there. I'd recommend a history book.

Smh
>>
>>29628744
I didn't mean to blame it on leftists, conservatives, cucks, atheists or believers or any other specific group of people. The whole system is flawed if it maintains overproduction as a default value. More importantly, instead of blaming anyone, I would like to know if you do know where we can still find innocence in the modern world, anon?

>>29628749
Good for you, fampai. New memes are shitty anyways. A proper meme is like a good wine, gets better with age.
>>
I work in retail for a big tech store and I genuinely have to control myself from getting mad at people by how pathetic they sound talking about themselves and what else they need in their lives after having told me they have the latest and greatest of this and that

I do feel it's gotten more competitive but I also think that's just growing up.

Move to the country and have all the passion and creativity you want.
>>
>>29628765
I am talking about society's overall emphasis on money and achievements these days, pushing aside every other goal in life, not implying that those values are new or groundbreaking.
>>
>>29628795
Money and achievements have always been the focus of society. Nothing has changed.
>>
>>29628779

>More importantly, instead of blaming anyone, I would like to know if you do know where we can still find innocence in the modern world, anon?

No. I have a fleeting sense of innocence and decency in the back of my mind, but the world has shat on that for years now, and shits on the very idea every single day.

Keep in mind I've been wondering about this stuff since I was a teenager, and that was many years ago now. You need to find a way to solve all of your own problems and find some "inner peace". Does that sound cliche? Probably, but it's the only solution I can think of, and it's the one most accessible to you.
>>
Post your aspirations, robots?
>financial stability so never have to worry about going homeless
>amassing cooking materials so that i can whip up recipes for people and see them take joy in the food i make
>being able to make many people feel warm and happy with my presence
>becoming well read
>having a small garden, for herbs/flowers
>not being an autistic tranny
>>
Most ppl that enjoy the simple things, mind their manners, and value innocent pleasures and concepts are quiet about it. They have no reason to be boisterous. They have no reason to shout and scream and direct attention to these things because these things are inherently good and its much easier to enjoy them than advertise.
Most things that NEED attention might be enjoyable but always lead to either misfortune or emptiness. Most car salesmen know which cars are excellent machines and which are piles of shit. One sells itself while the other the needs the ravings and false advertising to get off the lot. Simpletons take everything at face value, unknowning what they bought is a lemon until it dies. It drives, but somethings die sooner than others.
This applies to most things in society.
>>
>>29628765
This. I'd recommend a borderline caveman society that has had minimal contact with the western world. The trobriands of papua new guinea.
>>
Honestly I think the cynicism comes from a lack of struggle sort of thing, the generations before us experienced the worst of humanity due to wars and I think that makes them enjoy the little things more. Its sort of like first generation immigrants, where they're happy even with a shitty life compared to the average westerner. Just my theory though
>>
>>29628724

>the old times meme

People always were fucktards and always will be. Everytime someone says something like you do it is induced through the confirmation bias of todays heavy information flow. You simply have more opportunities to see the vile nature of a human being, but it was always there.
Honestly, read some historical books, people always used to be extremely judgemental, stepped on each others toes for no reason and so on. The average pleb was not too much into his materialistic desires because he knew that he will never be rich, absolutely apathic. I do not even know what you mean with innocence, a living human will never stay innocent, appreciating the little things was always situational and a luxury the average pleb simply did not have. The whole thing about manners and consideration is some fairy tale shit, it does not exist how you picture it.
In general people are better today, no matter how much you will delude yourself into believing there were better times. The extremely feeble tension of civillization and society only holds itself on the materialistic base you hate so much. Take the luxuries from the people and they will eat each other like they used to. I have no idea where you take your idealizations from, some aristocratic outtakes are not representative of the general society, but I would advise you to quit this stupidity.
>>
>>29628878
Same guy,
Look them up or read the ethnographies by Annette B. Weiner (1994) or Bronislaw Malinowski (1922/1929). It literally shows how its human nature to summarize people based on financial, physical, societal standing.
>>
fuck off

people have bitched about this since sumer

Pro tip: people are naturally cunts
>>
Dude, I know right.

Listen to typical music from back then and compare it to typical music now.

Then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLRd4neGGE

Now (well okay about a decade ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ffu7u9gvSU
>>
File: kidasa.jpg (90 KB, 570x285) Image search: [Google]
kidasa.jpg
90 KB, 570x285
>>29628780
I can relate to this. People don't even realize how materialistic they are when they speak about latest and greatest tech and all the shit they absolutely need to have.

As a graphic designer, I make advertisements by living, but at the same time, I am absolutely disgusted by advertisements, because it's all about spooks and lies, that the middle-management and company shareholders sincerely believe to be a cool thing to do for clients, and I feel stupid that people actually think that "Sale -60% off" means that it doesn't mean only product being -60% and rest being only like -10% off or something.

Moving to the country sounds real tempting, but I don't want to do it until I have found the kind of gf who shares my idea and is also tempted by it.
>>
>>29628908

>People always were fucktards and always will be.

Then why was there so much music about being kind to others (especially weak, sad, or lonely people) during the 60's and 70's, whereas now music glorifies being rich and shitting on others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Jx9nqnxOM

I could keep posting examples all night.

Society has changed. You can see it.
>>
>>29628779
Dude. Did you just refer to me as "fampie"?... Like senpai/senpai?..
>FUCK YOU.
>SERIOUSLY, FUCK YOU.
>>
File: 1242112-bigthumbnail.jpg (132 KB, 450x281) Image search: [Google]
1242112-bigthumbnail.jpg
132 KB, 450x281
>>29628852
sounds fairly reasonable. I like your goals, anon.

>>29628846
It doesn't sound cliche at all, I think it sounds like the only way to survive in the busy urban environment.

>>29628858
I think that sincere activities can also get the same attention as commercial activities if people are serious enough about those sincere events and happenings. Good example is all sorts of volunteer activities, small indie festivals in the woods and educational events like Ted-talks or public debates about the world-concerning issues (not small issues, but huge stuff, like environment, political system, issues in society etc.) Otherwise, I agree that short-term satisfaction is not a suitable source for long-term happiness, which is unfortunately what very many people fail to recognize.

>>29628878
Not true. We don't have go cavemen in order to bring back sincerity into the world.

>>29628931
Doesn't mean you have to be a cunt, fampai.
>>
>>29628724
Short answer: Facebook is making us all narcissistic. Genuine human interaction is replaced with shallow praise.
>>
>>29628908
I see your point, and I agree that we are doing better than we used to, but I don't agree that we have to push forward with the capitalistic nonsense in a world where consumers demand more and better while not actually consuming or even appreciating that more and better they get. Somebody needs to say "fuck you" to those people, so that they learn to become humbler and appreciate more harmonious values in life.

We have everything we need, why do we always need even more and better? Why not use all the technology and advanced knowledge to push more into recycling and greenness, which would be a very awesome application of today's tech and knowledge, instead of producing more cellophane bullshit?

>>29628974
Today's music can be great too, but so fucking tiring. Sometimes a lovely beatles track sound better than some overproduced Enya bullshit.

>>29629021
Reported your ass for being underage, you immature retard.
>>
>>29629102
This
We're also very self-conscious and impatient
>>
>>29629102
this

originalcommentbloxyblox
>>
Real answer? The Elite actively eliminating and assassinating middle class existence and culture.

Everyone is a desperate least common denominator now obsessed with getting ahead and stepping on everyone else.
>>
>>29628908
clueless millenial retard detected. contrary to your liberal media propaganda. people weren't angry, depressed, lgbt faggots up until the last decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbe-35_BaA

this is what a happy society looks like
>>
File: 1461650439180.gif (997 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1461650439180.gif
997 KB, 500x700
>>29629206
This is true. I am an atheist, but sometimes I think we need more religion just so we could say that "god wouldn't approve of this rat race" and people would just chill the fuck down with stepping on each other.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.