[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is college a scam? Should I just drop out and become a wageslave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Is college a scam?

Should I just drop out and become a wageslave now so I don't get into any more debt?
>>
>>29538145
how is it a scam? why are you asking this obviously retarded question
>>
>>29538145
>Is college a scam?
no but you get out what you put in

if you go there and play league all day and fail your classes obviously you won't get much out of being at college
>>
The entire system of modern western society is a scam.
>>
>>29538145
everything you have ever done is a scam.
College scams you out of your money, then your soul once you get out.
Wageslaving robs you of your soul and only your soul
>>
>>29538145
depends what you want to learn.

humanities is obviously a scam, in terms of recouping your investment.

but a degree can be helpful/mandatory for for many STEM employment positions.
>>
>>29538145
Drop out. Save up enough money to be able to sustain yourself on odd jobs alone. Travel. Live off the grid. You won't have as many luxuries if you're homeless but at least you'll be free.
>>
>>29538247
>humanities is obviously a scam, in terms of recouping your investment.

this is not true, some humanities majors are good
>>
>>29538180
this

except replace
>play league all day and fail your classes
with
>doing anything but networking
>>
>>29538271
maybe fields like economics or finance, but you still need to have a network of contacts or be a minority to actually have a chance at employment. It's not something robots can do.
>>
>>29538145
you'll probably end up working the same job with or without a degree so yes its pointless
>>
counterpoint. Your brain is developing until 24 and skills you learn early will give $$$ over a lifetime

if you don't get a shit degree, it's not worthless.
>>
>>29538145
I would stay in. I hear all these children bitching about their college, but ever single uni educated person I run into is earning a lot more money than me. Either that or get a trade. Don't end up unskilled.
>>
>>29538453
I disagree, you might not think employers give a shit if someone has a college education/degree but most corporate/industry jobs of certain fields ask for AT LEAST a Bachelor's Degree. Trust me, I'm a fresh college graduate who's been sending out resumes and a lot of places list on their requirements page for you to have a bachelor's degree.

I kind of hate how people say "Oh you don't NEED a college degree to be successful" and yes, part of that is true I suppose. You don't NEED a college degree but society kind of says you do NEED a degree to be successful, some people don't need one. If you can land a nice job making good money without a degree then go for it, most trade jobs pay well and don't require college education/degree because they pay based off skill and labor. Things like welding or oil rig jobs, all you need to do is go to a trade school and learn things like that and you can still land a job paying good money. See, the thing is not everyone WANTS to be a welder or do some sort of trade job. Some people go to college just because they think/believe it makes them better than other people, or it raises their self esteem and self confidence because they have a college degree while others don't. Who gives a shit what you major in, my uncle majored in Waste Management or some crap and he's making triple digits every year. He works in a field that doesn't even utilize his degree, but my uncle is probably the smartest man I've ever met. He's like one of those intelligent/sophisticated older guys straight out the 1920's, he speaks eloquently and knows so much information. I digress though, my point is people pursue college for several reasons but most people go because they want better jobs, and it's hard enough getting a good paying job without a college degree. If you don't get a college degree then you'd have to go to a trade school or get a trade job, that's really your only option.

Just my two cents
>>
>>29538501
I got a B.A in Communication but the fact that I have a college degree makes me feel better about myself, I already had shit self esteem and self confidence. I like to think I'm better than people without college degrees even though I know that isn't entirely true, it might be to a degree but I don't like to be bias even though it's hard for me not to be.

I feel like some people treat you better if they know you have a college degree, it's a bit sad that people judge others based off their education but I guarantee you the guy with a college degree makes a better impression on people than the guy without a college degree, wanna know how I know? Because I've seen it happen first hand, I've had people treat me better and with a bit more respect after they knew I had a college degree. The one's who didn't in my opinion were simply envious or jealous that I had one and they didn't, I don't even brag about having a college degree. If they ask I tell them, then suddenly some of them get a bit upset, can't say blame them but it's not like I'm bragging about my degree to strangers faces.
>>
>>29538388
mathematics and statistics are humanities majors at my university

http://www.arts.auckland.ac.nz/en/about/programmes/bachelor-of-arts.html
>>
depends on your major and how good you are at college, but for the vast majority it's a good investment
>>
Kind of but also not really. In today's day and age what you pay for is your degree. There is nothing that college can teach you that you can't learn on your own. If you're going to college for an education and nothing else, then yes. But if you want to do something with your knowledge, then no; unless the degree that you're trying to obtain is useless to begin with.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.