[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>There are people on this board right now who actually believe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 37
File: DisgustedPepe1.jpg (101 KB, 1024x904) Image search: [Google]
DisgustedPepe1.jpg
101 KB, 1024x904
>There are people on this board right now who actually believe the earth is flat.

Fucking why? Explain yourselves, flat-earthers.
>>
because they need to be AS EDGY AS POSSIBLE

You see, a round earth has no EDGES
>>
There is literally no reason to believe a rounded earth. Have round-earthers never been outside and seen the earth is flat? Do they just completely ignore all observable evidence?
>>
File: coyote.png (666 KB, 895x565) Image search: [Google]
coyote.png
666 KB, 895x565
>>29331954
>evidence
i pity you sheeple
>>
>>29332172
Fuck off, reddit shill.
>>
>>29333704
kek how was this original?
>>
>>29331872
Everyone knows that earth is round and hollow.
>>
>>29331872
Rollin for the hobos
>>
File: JVI4V.jpg (492 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
JVI4V.jpg
492 KB, 1824x1368
Tokyo is the largest metropolitan area on Earth.

If the Earth was round, you would be able to see the buildings point away in different directions due to the curvature.

Instead, it just points straight up, like all the buildings are on a FLAT SURFACE.

Second, why else would civilians be banned from antarctica? You will be killed if you make any attempt to explore without government approval.

They're hiding something.
>>
>>29331872
Explain why you think it's round fuckface.
>>
>>29333704
>this is original

Hahahahahaha oh my kek
>>
>>29335269
Haven't you seen pictures of the earth from space?
>>
>>29335252
>Second, why else would civilians be banned from antarctica? You will be killed if you make any attempt to explore without government approval.
What? This is the first time I've heard of this.
>>
>>29335071
The earth we live on is the hollow earth, space is actually inside of Earth and bends space-time. The space on the inside is Hell, we are closer to hell than heaven.

The hollow earth is inside of the flat earth. Heaven is above the flat earth, which can be accessed through cracks in the deep sea or the hole in the "south pole". This land is Eden, and is protected by the waters, or the oceans.
>>
>>29331872
It is flat go to Antarctica and see for yourself. Oh wait that's right the government will stop you from ever getting close. Gee wonder why
>>
>>29335252
My elementary school science teacher went to Antarctica. She also told us things fall at the same speed, not with the same acceleration due to gravity.
>>
if the earth is flat why isn't my floor curved?
>>
>>29335269
No, fuck you. Burden of Proof lies on those making an positive claim that supercedes accepted norms. Telling me to prove the Earth is roughly spherical is as retarded as telling me to prove the ocean is salty.
>>
>>29335292
there are pictures of earth from space where it's a disc. don't know what photoshop is supposed to prove
>>
>>29335368
> a member of the western indoctrination conspiracy lied to you and you believed it

Teachers are just in on brainwashing the youth to believe lies ofor the devil
>>
>>29335383
So you don't confuse it with a mountain.
>>
>>29335350
A: no they won't, independent research teams and vessels enter the arctic circle all the fucking time
And
B: even if the gov't did prevent you from going there, that in no way contradicts THOUSANDS of years of corraborative observation concluding the Earth is spherical.
>>
>>29335403
>No, fuck you. Burden of Proof lies on those making an positive claim that supercedes accepted norms.
no, burden of proof lies on those trying to prove things. flat earthers didn't make this thread bitching about your stupid round earth belief, they're not trying to convince you of anything. so prove it or stop sperging out about how people can believe different things than you
>>
>>29335418
Earth is round but it's still flat. It's not a globe, it's shaped like a satellite disc with antarctica being a frozen barrier to prevent life from making it to the edge. The moon and sun revolve around the earth like hands on a clock.
>>
>>29335438
>THOUSANDS of years of corraborative observation concluding the Earth is spherical.

Such as? You can't make these claims without any supporting evidence.
>>
>>29335418
Well now you have to prove every photo of the earth being round is photoshopped, or you have to prove the earth to be flat without using any cameras or footage. Good job debating yourself into a corner fucknugget
>>
>>29335466
no i don't. you have to prove all picture of flat earth are photoshopped. you're the one trying to change people's minds here. i'm just pointing out that you don't have any evidence of your beliefs
>>
File: truth.jpg (61 KB, 572x422) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
61 KB, 572x422
you all could do yourself some good by opening up your minds and moving past the ignorance
>>
>>29335451
You flat out don't know what Burden of Proof is. Good job.
>>29335463
Yes, I can, because the evidence is widely publicly available.
Now, I choose to give you a link to a page breaking down the first known attempt to calculate the circumference of the Earth by Eratosthenes, so unless you can actually disprove his mathematics, you have no real argument

http://www.windows2universe.org/citizen_science/myw/w2u_eratosthenes_calc_earth_size.html
>>
File: its out there.jpg (37 KB, 630x371) Image search: [Google]
its out there.jpg
37 KB, 630x371
>>29335527
this image really makes you think. its the undeniable truth that the earth is not round
>>
>>29335535
>Burden of Proof
you're the one trying to prove something. you have burden of proof. it's not that hard you fucking retard. burden of proof isn't "well the burden of proof is on anyone who thinks something that i feel is unreasonable"
>>
>>29335318
elaborate. sources on that?
>>
>>29335535
Are you fucking retarded? You've disprove your argument with your own picture. Notice how the water and ground in the diagrams are flat, not curved?
>>
>>29335524
Burden of Proof applies specifically to those making either a positive claim or an extraordinary claim that defies previously accepted science. The scientific method itself exists largely so that those backing accepted science don't have to spend hours re-proving the science every time it gets brought up.

So, again, either you have to prove your stance, since it is a positive claim (i.e. you're not just saying "I don't believe the Earth is round", but instead positing another theory) and since it conflicts with accepted science.

Or you could just not, but at that point you admit that you're positing an ideology and there's no discussion to be had.
>>
>>29335567
you can dig infinitely far 'down' without ever coming out the other side of the earth. try it sometime
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
>>29331872
What if the earth is a dome?
Maybe both sides are half right...
>>
>>29331872
Ok my problem with that is those scientists dudes. geographists or whatever

i mean how can you straight up believe everything they say when you never seen earth with your own eyes? i'm just sayin like i never seen earth. how do i know it's really round you know
>>
have you ever been to "space", faggot?

have you ever personally journeyed across the earth to make sure it's round?

if not you have no proof, it may just be flat
>>
>>29335602
Can't tell if subtle troll or not.
>>
>>29335603
i'm not making a positive claim, dipshit. i'm willing to accept people having different opinions. you're making the positive claim by pretending it's unreasonable to believe in a flat earth. i'm just saying you have no supporting evidence. and you don't which is why you're sperging out going "but muh popular opinion"
>>
>>29331954
I have circumnavigated the globe.
>>
>>29335567
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tll9ioIUexQ
>>
they're trolling.
>>
>>29335611
Earth physically could not be any other shape and still have gravity work the way it does, and even if it started another shape gravity would force it into a sphere
>>
>>29335655
>Everyone who disagrees with me is a troll.
>being this brainwashed.

Kill yourself.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 189x200) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 189x200
>>29335252
>if the Earth was round, you would be able to see the buildings point away in different directions due to the curvature.
Is this bait?
Tell me there actually aren't people stupid enough to think the earth is small enough to show curvature over a fucking city.
>>
File: 145299098258.jpg (7 KB, 250x222) Image search: [Google]
145299098258.jpg
7 KB, 250x222
>>29335617
Who's to say what you see with your own eyes is real?
>>
>>29335661
>gravity is a uniform force between all matter
please tell me you don't believe this meme too
>>
>>29335661
What if the earth doesn't exist in space? What if it's actually a terrarium on a much larger planet?
>>
>>29335636
>i'm just saying you have no supporting evidence
Yes I do, but it's simply not my job to educate you on knowledge publicly available for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.
And yes, you ARE making a positive claim. You're not saying "I am skeptical of round earth", you're saying that flat earth is correct or, at least, possible, which you have to provide evidence for if you're going to claim that. Otherwise it's just ideology and value judgment
And I already have posted Eratosthenes' earliest calculation of the circumference of the Earth, which you choose to remain ignorant of.

Learn basic argumentative logic anon, otherwise every debate you ever try to have is going to just be "waahh nuh-uhh you first" nonsense.
>>
>>29335719
>please tell me you don't believe this meme too
>science is a meme
I'm done
MODS
BURN THIS THREAD
>>
File: 1-bluemarble_west.jpg (579 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
1-bluemarble_west.jpg
579 KB, 2048x2048
Proof the earth is not flat.
You actual fucking retards.
>>
>>29335628
never been to space, but have circumnavigate the globe.
>>
>>29335683
Did you even read the comment you replied to? It's not just a city, it's the largest city on Earth.
>>
>>29335539
>Water doesn't stick to a ball spinning 1000mph
Doesn't understand the difference between speed and acceleration....

Yes water does. Because the earths in constant rotation not accelerating rotational motion. Literally the most basic high school physics.
>>
>>29335721
Then you'd need to provide evidence of that or you may as well be chasing the Spaghetti Monster.
>>
>>29335738
>believing nasa shoops
>>
>>29335671
what an un-troll-like response.
>>
>>29335741
And it's still fucking tiny at that distance. Hell, most things you hear about that can be "seen from space" can't be seen from space at all.
>>
>>29335753
Why? So my opinion can be validated in your eyes? You can think it's as retarded as you want, I don't care.
>>
File: 1451218844153.png (114 KB, 224x216) Image search: [Google]
1451218844153.png
114 KB, 224x216
>>29335754
>evey photograph taken of the earth is shopped
>the government's the reason why there is not a single picture in existance of a flat earth
>>
>>29335738
>Basing your argument on an obviously photoshoped picture.

hmm.....
>>
>>29335783
Oh, I didn't realize we were talking about opinions and other irrelevant garbage, I thought we were discussing the real world.
>>
File: 0032 - 4EApFij.jpg (48 KB, 383x367) Image search: [Google]
0032 - 4EApFij.jpg
48 KB, 383x367
>>29335683
if the earth is so big with so many millions of people how come I see the same people every day???????????

checkmate
>>
>>29335730
>Yes I do, but it's simply not my job to educate you on knowledge publicly available for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.
If that's the case then you don't get to be indignant about people believing other things. They don't feel obliged to teach you, you don't feel obliged to teach them, so everyone so walks away.

>something being possible is a positive claim
yes, it being possible that god doesn't exist is a positive claim. brilliant. you have no clue what that phrase mean redditard.

you're the one trying to convince people of things and failing miserably. maybe you shouldn't be blaming everyone else for your incompetence.
>>
>>29335802
Zookeeper shill detected
You won't sway me
I know what you're up to
>>
>>29335741
IT'S STILL A FUCKING CITY
I can tolerate people with no concept of information and misinformation, but how do you fuck up your concept of relative size?

Tokyo is 845 square miles. the earth is 196.9 MILLION square miles
>>
>>29335252
This is correct. Also any time you've been on a flight are you able to see the curves at the horizon or does it just look flat? It just looks flat because it is.

There's a reason the only "photos" of a round earth come from governmental space programs. Jews have been pushing the round earth thing for too long to expect us to just go along with it,
>>
>>29335735
>i think i can prove things by just waving my hands around and shouting science
>that's what science is right
hey r/athiesm bro. are you euphoric too?
>>
>>29335807
>yes, it being possible that god doesn't exist is a positive claim
No it isn't, you're using semantics to form a statement that isn't even a claim at all (that statement being "X Person does not believe a God exists") into a claim so you can strawman my argument that had nothing to do with atheism because you're easily butthurt.
>>
>>29335861
>something being possible is a positive claim
>god's nonexistance is not 'something'
are you retarded? do you just think you can define 'something' to mean any belief you hold?

if you have a problem with this maybe you should give a less retarded definition of 'positive claim'
>>
>>29335852
Actually the horizon just looks flat because you can only see an area of roughly 3 miles around you in a perfect circle at any given time (outlying atmospheric conditions notwithstanding) which makes it impossible to percieve any curve in the horizon until you begin to get to the outer atmosphere. But nice try.

>There's a reason the only "photos" of a round earth come from governmental space programs
Because those are the only programs that have gone to space with the purpose of taking pictures, yes.
>>
>>29335855
This isn't talking about god. This is talking about GRAVITY. Are you going to contest friction as a Jewish conspiracy too, poltard?
>>
>>29335855
>>i think i can prove things by just waving my hands around and shouting science
>>that's what science is right
that isn't science
it is through the analysis and observation of the correlation of event that are set up through trials

without science none of us would be able to shit post on the internet I'm done with this thread

try to proof the earth isn't flat in a legitimate logical statement retard
>>
if earth is flat why can't we fall off the edge into nothing like a video game
>>
>>29335924
no. i don't feel the need to. if you want to change people's beliefs you make the argument.
>try to proof the earth isn't flat
but it is
>>
What if the earth doesn't actually exist at all?
The pictures and shapes are only there to make us think it does
>>
Why the fuck would there even need to be a conspiracy supporting the idea that earth is round and not flat? You people are either stupid or trolling.
>>
>>29335905
No, you simply don't seem to understand what a claim is in the first place.

A statement is only a claim if that statement contains an assertion of fact, i.e. "The earth is flat" or "It is possible that Earth is flat" (since this makes an assertion of the laws of physics)

Saying "I believe/do not believe the Earth is flat/there is no God" isn't a claim because you're not asserting a fact, only an ideology or lack thereof. And for the sake of avoiding semantic bullshit like you tried to pull, these statements are typically boiled down to the simplest accurate language possible.

Again, learn basic goddamn terms anon.
>>
File: 03e.png (26 KB, 603x222) Image search: [Google]
03e.png
26 KB, 603x222
>>29335956
>i don't feel the need to
Thread's done. The trolls and retards have reached a singularity.
>>
>>29335920
oh, it's about one thing instead of a different thing. suddenly this magically makes your argument appear from the ether so you don't have to bother considering the basis of your beliefs. maybe it'll help if you mention it being the current year.
>>
>>29335964
jews

atheists

NWO

banks

something else too
>>
>>29335973
you don't feel the need to prove the earth is round. but suddenly when i don't feel the need to prove the earth is flat it's bait. maybe you should just admit you haven't actually thought about the philosophical basis for your beliefs for one second and are just sperging out because hearing something repeated makes you think it's obvious
>>
>>29335964
Being on a floating rock in the vast emptiness space provides us with a sense of isolation.
>>
File: 1465226762593.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1465226762593.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>29335252
>American Education: The Post
>>
>>29335975
Why do people itt not understand that by basic laws of logic, accepted proven science does not have to be re-proven every time it gets brought up?

Here, let's try on your logic instead.

I don't believe that Unicorns aren't running around in Scotland. PROVE TO ME that unicorns aren't running around in Scotland. I'll wait.
Unicorns not existing is just a meme bro!
>>
>>29335967
"it is possible" is an assertion of fact you retard. "it is possible for something to be a black bird". you can prove this by pointing to a black bird.

in any case you have no reason to differentiate the logical status of 'the earth is flat' and 'the earth is round' other than populist fallacies and your feelings.
>>
>>29335994
>philosophical basis for your beliefs
There is no philosophical basis here, nobody but you is arguing ideology you moron. The adults are talking about reality.
>>
>>29335943
why don't you just fall off the bottom though?
also, what is a fucking earthuake fault line
>>
>>29336023
>Why do people itt not understand that by basic laws of logic, accepted proven science does not have to be re-proven every time it gets brought up?
you don't understand what logic means you retard. you should literally go look it up on wikipedia and notice how it has literally nothing to do with 'accepted science'

you're just spewing words like logic that you don't understand in an attempt to distract from the fact that you haven't thought through any of this
>>
>>29336023
They might exist
You'll never know
not him btw
>>
What would even be the point of hiding that the earth is flat, if it was ?
>>
>>29336060
not him but you yourself seem very angry and frustrated that people arent taking your literal flat-earthism seriously
>>
>>29331954
C'mon man, even I can make out the curvature of the earth on the horizon looking out of a plane at 30K feet.
>>
>>29336047
and you have no reason to believe your method for discovering what is true about reality (apparently "believe whatever the majority believe") is any better than anyone else's
>>
>>29336028
>"it is possible" is an assertion of fact you retard. "it is possible for something to be a black bird". you can prove this by pointing to a black bird.
That's what I said anon. Reading comprehension.

>in any case you have no reason to differentiate the logical status of 'the earth is flat' and 'the earth is round' other than populist fallacies and your feelings.
Or the, again, literally thousands of years of empirical information proving the Earth to be round by basis of mathematics, logical reasoning, and observation. Which you choose to be ignorant of even when it's been presented to you.
>>
>>29336083
not really. i haven't been pushing the belief on anyone. i'm just point out that these retards don't have any better reasoning behind their beliefs and should stop pretending they do.
>>
>>29335994
Because we proved the earth is round nearly 500 goddamn years ago.

That tin hat might be on a bit tight.
>>
>>29336080
see >>29335996

A flat earth would imply that the entire commonly accepted cosmology is fictitious. The round earth is just one wacky part of the entire supposed deception.
>>
>>29335907
That's stupid as fuck. When I'm at 35000 feet I can clearly see the ground which is like seven miles down. I can see for hundreds of miles and it goes flat as far as I can see
>>
File: .....no..png (164 KB, 336x360) Image search: [Google]
.....no..png
164 KB, 336x360
>>29335318
No....Just no.

Why?
Because no.
>>
>>29336104
so you think 'it is possible for god to not exist' is not a claim but 'it is possible for neon red and green striped birds to not exist' is? that's pretty retarded. maybe you should bother to define what a claim is instead of tarding out.

you haven't expressed any of that. i doubt you've even seen any of it. you've just heard people claim it exists and now you're indignant that other people aren't as lacking in critical thinking and skepticism as you
>>
But we observe stars and planets out in space and they are all sphere like shapes so why would anyone think we are flat? Also why has no one ever in the history of mankind made it to the edge? I'm almost positive that this whole thread is a troll because I have a hard time believing that it's possible to be this fucking retarded lol
>>
>>29336077
But there's nothing showing they do exist, there's literally no case to be made for them existing and everything else ecologically works out fine. Hence, burden of proof is established so that we don't have to hunt unicorns.

>>29336060
That's just wrong. Burden if Proof explicitly applies to any accepted set of information, whether it be science, mathematics, or social norms. I don't have to prove that 1+1 = 2 every time mathematics gets brought up for the same reason I don't have to prove gravity exists every time it gets brought up.
>>
>>29336120
no you didn't. i can say we proved the earth was flat 500 years ago and that's not proof either. now you're just going to start crying about how you shouldn't have to present evidence of your claims for other people to accept them.
>>
>>29335754
>retards actually believe NASA is the world's only space program

>retards actually believe all space programs have conspiracy to trick the earth's population into thinking the earth is round

Autism
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 258x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 258x194
>>29336138
This is the earth at 100,000 feet. The curvature is BARELY starting to show.

You are literally as dumb as the guy holding straightedges to the ground.
>>
>>29335738
I could take a picture of the flat earth from space and make those adjustments on photoshop in about 5 minutes that doesn't prove anything
>>
>>29336096
>and you have no reason to believe your method for discovering what is true about reality (apparently "believe whatever the majority believe") is any better than anyone else's
You mean beyond the scientific method which exists precisely to make sure the answers we discover are as accurate and waterproof as mathematically possible?
>>
>>29336162
most of them are trolls but there's one or two contrarian retards who believe this shit just like in every conspiracy thread
>>
>>29336164
'burden of proof' has nothing to do with mathematics you retard. things are either proved or not. 'burden of proof' is just something dipshits like you start screaming (without understanding) because they want to force other people to do all the work in an argument while doing none themselves.
>>
>>29336188
Pic related was Magellan, you inbred hick.
>>
Summary of this thread:
Trolls claiming earth is flat
Idiots taking the bait
>>
>>29336138
He said "in a perfect circle", do you understand what that means ?
>>
>>29336208
explain how 'the scientific method' makes things mathematically waterproof. you can't because it has no relation to math, you're just tarding out about things you don't understand again because you think it sounds impressive.

btw i have a degree in math so you might as well stop throwing mathematics words around hoping i lack as much understanding as you do
>>
HOW YHE FUCK WOULD GOING YO ANTARCTICA DISPROVE A ROUND EARTH YOU POWERKEKED MORON
>>
>>29336227
saying a name isn't proof either, dumbass.
>>
>>29336197
Still looks flat to me
>>
>>29336160
>so you think 'it is possible for god to not exist' is not a claim
No, it's a claim that isn't falsifiable which is why attempts to scientifically prove or disprove God have been relegated to highschoolers and internet trolls. It's like saying "It is possible to have life after death", there are no metrics by which it could be proven or disproven. Now, "it is possible for the Earth to be flat" IS falsifiable mathematically based on how we know gravity, the atmosphere, and hundreds of other real criteria to function.
>maybe you should bother to define what a claim is
I literally already did, in the simplest possible language, maybe you should bother reading
>>
File: just do it.gif (1 MB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
just do it.gif
1 MB, 500x255
I want someone to launch a amateur rocket on top of a tall mountain, a balloon platform, or whatever. It just has to go high enough to reach an altitude for it to be able to see the curvature/sphere. And it has to be amateur so all of the conspiracy nuts can go home. Someone JUST DO IT.
>>
>>29336164
It still doesn't mean they don't exist. All you know is that you have never seen them exist, and you can assume that no one else you've encountered has either (if they're being honest with you).

It doesn't mean they do exist either. The problem with proving the nonexistence of something is that it has to be limited to a certain observable context. You can say there are no unicorns here in this room or in your backyard, you can assume there are no unicorns anywhere that is immediately observable by humans (unless someone knows of a unicorn and is hiding that knowledge from everyone else).

You can reasonably assume they don't exist on earth, even, I would say, because we've seen so much of it, but there are still supposedly many undiscovered animals out there. But you can't prove unicorns don't exist at all, maybe in some distant galaxy.

When you're proving the existence of something it's the opposite, as soon as you see it you know it exists and that becomes a certainty (unless your sensory equipment, whether it's biological or otherwise, is faulty). You don't know where it exists, other than here, maybe, but you know for certain that it does exist.
>>
>>29336274
Because theoretically if you went far enough into Antarctica you would fall off the edge or at least see the edge of the flat earth.

There's good reason no civilians are allowed near there.
>>
>>29336162
>But we observe stars and planets out in space and they are all sphere like shapes so why would anyone think we are flat?

They're just lights in the sky. Little electronic pinpricks piercing our mechanical encasement. We're meant to think they're something bigger and better.... but they're not
>>
>>29336304
being a 'positive claim' does not mean it is a falsifiable claim. maybe you should stop making definitions up and start citing them

>this thing is provable if we make a bunch of assumptions when proving it
wow it's nothing
>>
>>29336215
>'burden of proof' has nothing to do with mathematics you retard.
It's not called "burden of proof" because burdens are a rule of logical debate and mathematics is just applied logic, but it's 1:1 the exact same logical process
>>
>>29336138
Imagine you are holding a ball, and there is a little ant on the ball's surface. And the ant is like 100000000000x smaller than a normal size ant. Would the surface of the basketball that it was on seem flat to it zoomed in so close? Would the ant have to go very far away from the ball relative to its circumference to start to see curvature?

that ant is you
>>
>>29336279
>being too retarded to Google a name
>being too retarded to know who first circumnavigated the earth
I don't know why i expected more from someone who thinks the earth is flat.
>>
>>29335252
You honestly don't see the curvature of the Earth on the horizon of THAT VERY PHOTOGRAPH YOU POSTED???

Look again, the horizon curves. You can see it on the cloud tops. Get out a fucking straightedge and put it over your computer screen if you have to. The Earth is round for the same reason spheres are the most common objects in the universe: they are clumps of mass in zero gravity. Why do you think water droplets form spheres in zero gravity?? Same reason. Why do you thing the rest of the planets are spheres? Same Reason. Why do you think stars are spheres? Same Reason. Perfect Spheres? No, but they are most certainly spheres. The vast majority of non-spherical objects floating around in the universe are either collections of spheres orbiting an equator of some type, ro broken pieces of spheres from collisions. Gases and liquids (mostly gasses due to vacuum) have no solid shape, so default to forming spheres as they solidify (if the solidify). Mass collects and makes lager spheres, et cetera.

The Earth is a sphere.
>>
>>29336349
you think real life beliefs are all implications from some computable set of axioms? that's pretty dumb
>>
>>29336263
>you can't because it has no relation to math
>he thinks that elimination of undesired variables in scientific testing isn't applied mathematics
>he thinks repeating experiments hundreds to thousands of times to discover outliers and create a smoother range of data isn't applied statistics
O boy I am laffin
>>
If the antarctic forms "a wall" we'd be pretty damn fucked with global warming
>>
>>29336356
no you are too retarded to know who first fell of the edge of the earth.
look since i said something happened that backs up my story i win. great logic there
>>
ALL RIGHT YOU SHITLORDS I KNOW THIS IS JUST A REALLY FUNNY RUSE/MEME BUT IT GOT ME SO FUCKING WORKED UP THAT I WILL ACTUALLY RESPOND TO IT. SO HERE IT IS YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS. THE PROOF THAT THE EARTH IS AROUND:

THE FUCKING SUN. IF THE WORLD WOULD BE FLAT IT WOULDNT BE POSSIBLE TO BE NIGHT IN AUSTRALIA WHILE THE SUN IS AT ITS ZENIT IN EUROPE.

fucking shits you
>>
>>29336351
I get that. But if I took that ant and held him up just a little bit (like I am when traveling in an airplane) he could clearly see the ball is a sphere. I've flown hundreds of times and it always looks perfectly flat.
>>
>>29336406
>fall off the edge of the earth
>fall
>off
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>29336397
that doesn't seem like a mathematical proof of certainty. it's almost like such a thing doesn't exist and all you can do is vaguely wave your hands at mathematical algorithms while not proving they relate to reality in any way
>>
>>29336348
>being a 'positive claim' does not mean it is a falsifiable claim.
That's what I said with the whole "it is possible God exists" line in my last fucking post you actual imbecile. READ ANONYMOUS. JUST DO IT. I BELIEVE IN YOU.
>maybe you should stop making definitions up and start citing them
No, the onus is on you to educate yourself on the terms we're using, especially since you've willfully ignored cited information I posted earliee
>>this thing is provable if we make a bunch of assumptions when proving it
>wow it's nothing
Not even sure what you're referencing but god I'd love to see the mental backflips you did to get there.
>>
>>29336439
>implying it isn't possible for the sun to be rotating around the flat earth
>>
>>29336376
That curvature is an effect of the lens of the camera, actually, you'd need to be in low earth orbit to even begin to see Earth's curvature.
>>
>>29336471
How do solar eclipses happen then ??
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 1006x492) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 1006x492
>>29336439
>>29336471
The second poster is correct. This is one example of a perfectly reasonable explanation for the sun argument.
>>
>>29336451
No, it just sounds like you don't understand mathematics and how it relates to physics or any other science, let alone the scientific process.
>>
>>29336439
the sun is another smaller disc parallel to earth that only projects light down perpendicularly. it moves around so sometimes the light isn't shining in a particular place

>>29336450
>round earther finally realizes he has no better reason for his beliefs than anyone else and just starts going for emotional appeals with ridicule
>>
>>29335671
I went to Asia flying east from western Canada, and I've also gone there flying west. Thus proving the earth is not flat. When you take your first plane ride you'll understand this.
On another note, in the Southern Hemisphere the toilets flush in the counter clockwise direction and water drains a counter clockwise direction where in the northern hemisphere it is the opposite. Also, I've been to Antarctica, it's not incredibly far from where I live. It's not protected by anyone.
>>
>>29336471
>sun rotating around earth
Yes, that is literally impossible you autist.
>>
>>29336507
>perfectly reasonable
You mean aside from gravity, the tides, air currents, circumnavigation of the globe, all of space travel, earth's magnetic field, and thousands of other problems.
>>
What if the earth is actually a giant man and we're itchy parasites like lice or something?
>>
File: lg1.png (48 KB, 180x182) Image search: [Google]
lg1.png
48 KB, 180x182
>>29336507
>sun is 32 miles in diameter
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 468x229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 468x229
>>29336504
Huh? It's simple if the sun and moon are rotating above the earth at different speeds occasionally one will block out the other. See pic
>>
>>29336507
how do solar eclipses happen ?
>>
>>29336596
That doesn't even begin to explain any eclipse process
>>
>>29331954Ever tried the Babylonian stick in the sand 2 km away form eachother and notice the angle of the shade is different. Seriously its that easy to proove.
>>
>>29336458
you equated the two things you retard. you read.

>i demand you look up terms
no. you shouldn't even need jargon in the first place. if you can't explain something from universal ideas you don't understand it

read your post, look for assumptions you made while 'proving' the earth is round, and figure it out

>>29336515
i literally have a degree in it. it is the process of deriving new statements from old ones using formal rules. you failed to explain how this proves what is true in reality because you were just attempting to spew objective sounding words.
>>
brb checking in on /x/ to see if this is their doing again. I swear I never see this shit there.
>>
>>29336545
>actually believing you know what direction you're going while flying
>>
>>29336596
Your point of view would be on the ground, einstein.

>flat earthers are so stupid they fail to comprehend their own batshit propaganda
>>
My question to flat earthers, what are sunsets then?

Also how come when two boats go out to sea the bottom disappears before the top?
>>
>>29336664
>round earther resorting to personal insults instead of actual scientific arguments
>>
>>29336683
sun changing colors then turning off

'flat earth' is a misnomer. technically it's more of a dome
>>
>>29336683
Not a flat-earther, but I'll redpill you on the illusion of curvature. Really what's happening is the boat is being transferred from one server to another. Think of its slow disappearance like a loading bar.

To the boat itself, the process is instantaneous so they don't notice it. But to you, the observer, they need to create the illusion that it isn't just popping in and out of reality (which is what it's really doing).

Sunsets follow the same principle
>>
>>>29336652
Yeah they got one thread on it but it's mainly this one guy giving "Irrefutable proof" and everyone else destroying him.
>>
>>29336721
So if the sun is off at any point then shouldn't there be periods where there is no sun on any part of the earth?
>>29336731
You funny man
>>
>>29336507
Then why does the sun set?
>>
>>29336646
>you equated the two things you retard.
No, I didn't, i explicitly stated that the line "It is possible God exists" was both a positive claim AND non-falsifiable. That's the complete opposite of trying to equate them.

>look for assumptions you made while 'proving' the earth is round
The only "assumptions" I've made are pragmatic assertions that the scientific process and its results are correct. Which, if you want to tear down a process if empirically gathering information about the world that has been refined for thousands of years, please do. I'd legitimately love for you to completely destroy my preconceptions of reality.

>claims to have a STEM-field degree
>is completely ignorant of any basic logic, thinks the scientific method is a hoax
Wew
>>
>>29336760
>So if the sun is off at any point then shouldn't there be periods where there is no sun on any part of the earth?
yes. that happens.
>>
>>29336627
The moon is slightly below the sun.
>>
>>29336596
>>29336507
holy shit shit these pictures are stupid. do you literally believe the sun hovers 2700 miles over the earth? it would be literally a billion degrees fahrenheit. also if the sun would circle like that there would be no sunrise or sunset. yet somehow there is a fucking sunrise every morning for some reason you little fucking shit and a sunset every fucking evening. can you eplain that to me you FUCKING ASSHOLE
>>
>>29336765
explain this, flatearthers
>>
>>29336775
Okay so all I need to do to prove the earth is not indeed flat is to get a group of people who in the round earth model should see the sun one after another and have them ping me when the sun rises and when the sun sets? If I get a gap then you are right if I don't you are wrong?
>>
>>29336507
whenever i watch a flat earther video on youtube, the person posting it's biggest concern in the argument is defense, which is rarely a good sign
>>
>>29336782
Then how do you explain the specific viewing angles of eclipses in the real world?
Or any of
>>29336568
>>
>>29336765
>>29336799
To create the illusion of a cyclical reality
Cycles are a symbol of slavery
Freedom is open-ended in all directions
>>
>>29336643
>Babylonian stick
I've never heard of this before, can you post a wiki page or sometihng
>>
>>29336772
>muh scientific method
>please ignore the fact that i can't explain why you should form beliefs based on it
it's not my fault that you're a dumb calculator mashing type stem student and don't care about the philosophical basis of your belief formation

i actually specialized in logic. you just don't know what the word means and throw it around to give the illusion of support to any argument you feel is correct
>>
are flat earth believers usually atheists?
>>
>>29336834
So does the government cause the sun to set, then?
>>
>>29336817
No anon, if you're wrong it's because muh gubment
>>
>>29336817
that still wouldn't prove you right. there are flat earth models consistent with the same observations as round earth models. but you'd be proving my specific version of flat earth wrong.
>>
File: K.png (371 KB, 1019x1258) Image search: [Google]
K.png
371 KB, 1019x1258
>>29336504
>>29336627
I have looked into it and to answer your question, many "flat-earthers" believe that lunar eclipses are caused by an object known as an antimoon. It's only purpose it to act as the Earth during a blocking of the Sun which would appear to obscure/change the colour of the moon. Because obviously the Earth is not doing that in this scenario.

Certainly an unrealistic "conspiracy theory" imho but I have not completely discounted it. There are many great lies and deceptions out there. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Pic related OC I created, I believe 9 sums up the general flat earth argument.
>>
File: 1459543793240.png (269 KB, 427x600) Image search: [Google]
1459543793240.png
269 KB, 427x600
GOOOOOOOOD GOY!

Of COURSE the Earth is round, after all that's what us Jewish scientists have told you all your life, right? This is SCIENCE, goy, ahem, guy, in other words NOT TO BE QUESTIONED. Flat-earthers are just conspiracy nuts who probably also believe the Holocaust didn't happen. You're smarter than them, go- guy.
>>
>>29336782
There would be eclipses all the time at different points...
>>
I like how flat earthers claim gravity doesn't exist and then provide no explanation as to what force keeps us from floating away. Or descending downard after a jump up.
>>
>>29336886
So you'd be wrong. The other models have many other flaws that you yourself have probably acknowledged which is why you use this one. No?

Robots tell me sunrise sunset?

My sunrise ~5:45am
Sunset 9:55pm
California
>>
>>29336834
what does that even mean? can you explain why it looks like the sun sets when its not actually setting. how does this work? how is this illusion created? who creates this illusion? what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>29336850
>form beliefs
Got to the core of the issue here. You're conflating mathematical and logical conclusion, along with pragmatic assertions derived from those conclusions and rigorously tested, with ideology.

So for you, this issue is always going to be a matter of persuasion, and any evidence presented is going to be ignored, as you've already done.
>>
File: Disgust.jpg (40 KB, 614x400) Image search: [Google]
Disgust.jpg
40 KB, 614x400
>>29336891
>look at me! I'm smarter than 99% of the world because I'm enlightened enough to believe archaic bullshit instead of modern physics! LE JOOZ CAN'T CONTROL ME
>>
>>29336891
How much do you get payed to act insane and shit down chimneys while simulataniously scream the earth is flat.

I want to get payed to frame conspiricy theorists as crazy too
>>
>>29336914
gravity exists, it just doesn't do what you think it does. it's an attraction in the direction of the opposite side of the earth.
>>
is this some kind of psychological experiment to show that people will argue over everything no matter how ridiculous the topic is
>>
File: 1466138891357.jpg (195 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1466138891357.jpg
195 KB, 1024x768
>>29336972
I wish, this is the demented spawn of the moon landing conspiracy.
>>
>>29336954
What causes that attraction? If that were true how would the sun and moon be rotating like a clock instead of falling perpendiculat towards the bottom of the earth? How are galaxies spiralling around each other if gravity applies to a plane and not a point?
>>
>>29336943
you're conflating mathematical and logical conclusion with conclusions about reality. all mathematical conclusions depend on initial assumptions that may be true or false. so just throwing your hands up and saying mathematics says so is meaningless.

of course. you have no objective reasoning behind your beliefs. all belief formation is subjective.
>>
according to flat-earthers: is the moon, sun, other planets and stars also flat? or are they round?
>>
>>29336972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XewVicFzRxw
>>
>>29337000
what causes all things to be pulled towards each other? that's much more ridiculous than all things being pulled in one direction.

there are additional forces acting on them.

you have a false idea of what the light patterns you believe to be 'galaxies' are.
>>
>>29336954
So if gravity pushes upward like you claim why can i not fly

Are you literally claiming that a force on the opposite side of the world works like a magnetic pole to keep me on my feet? That's just gravity. Who profits from this lie?
>>
>>29336704
>point of view on groung
Nigger, this was a scientific argument. if you look up there's no fucking way that model of sun and moon could ever overlap.

You are literally so retarded that you can only say
>b-b-but I'm not stupid! Ad hominem!
Instead of actually engaging reality.
>>
>>29336888
I don't understand this explanation. "Serves as the earth ?"
But we are already ON the earth !
>>
File: 1453252626552.png (57 KB, 343x397) Image search: [Google]
1453252626552.png
57 KB, 343x397
>>29336945
Yes...... YESSS!!! Trust in SCIENCE, your new religion! Trust your television, your new GOD! We tell you the Earth is round, so it's round, goy. Never mind that "modern physics" was fabrica-... DISCOVERED completely by JEWS.
>>
>>29337037
i didn't claim that. you just misunderstood. gravity pulls the same direction as the legs of a table if you're on top of the table.
>>
>>29337001
>all mathematical conclusions depend on initial assumptions that may be true or false
So are you going to actually break down and discredit those assumptions? Because, if not, I and everyone else in the world are going to continue using them as the only real baseline of objectivity.

Or, are you going to go with the Solipsistic approach? Because in that case literally everything is non-falsifiable and no discussion can be had.
>>
>>29336972
No it's a psy op to make conspiracy theorist appear literally insane. "Look at those people and what they believe. Do you want to seem like THEM? DONT QUESTION ANYTHING. THE GOVERMENT CAN DO NO WRONG"
>>
>>29337068
So how does this prove a flat earth
>>
File: 1450994567980.png (183 KB, 498x530) Image search: [Google]
1450994567980.png
183 KB, 498x530
>>29337078
Yes, fellow Thinking Citizen, it's a psyop by the government and the White Man to make all conspiracy theorists look nuts! No possibility of the Earth being flat, nuh uh, Jewish Physics says so!
>>
>>29337069
>So are you going to actually break down and discredit those assumptions? Because, if not, I and everyone else in the world are going to continue using them as the only real baseline of objectivity.
knock yourself out.

>Because in that case literally everything is non-falsifiable and no discussion can be had.
you can still have discussions. you just have to give arguments other than alleged objectivity to convince people to change their minds. which is a good thing because nothing going on in your mind is actually objective.
>>
File: 1426063611841.jpg (8 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1426063611841.jpg
8 KB, 250x237
>>29337078
>conspiratard stupidity is itself a conspiracy

top kek
>>
File: flat-earth-map-02.jpg (104 KB, 575x393) Image search: [Google]
flat-earth-map-02.jpg
104 KB, 575x393
>>29337055
During a lunar eclipse the Earth blocks the sunlight that would normally hit the moon (instead of the moon blocking the sun - Solar Eclipse). As a result the moon can appear darker or red (Blood moon). If you understand the flat earth concept, there is no way the Earth could block the sunlight from hitting the moon, hence the antimoon.

Also, once again, I do not endorse the Flat Earth theory I am just trying to explain what these people believe.
>>
>>29337031
Read up on Einstein's calculations on gravity and how it effects spacetime, the mathematics are there to prove how gravity works on points. Basically, imagine you have a sheet stretched out over the air, and you put a marble in the center. The sheet deforms around the marble, pulling other objects toward it. Spacetime itself is basically an infinite number of those sheets.

Yes the analogy makes it sound silly, but there is math behind it and that math is rock solid and accounts for phenomena Einstein couldn't even observe at the time, like time dilation.
>>
>>29337064
what if science is all the result of meme magic
and it became so solidified that it became near absolute truth
>>
>>29337095
i didn't say it did. someone asked how gravity can work consistently with a flat earth and i told them.
>>
File: 320px.jpg (13 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
320px.jpg
13 KB, 320x240
>tfw no flat earther bf
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc5nUY5LzI
>>
>All these newfags falling for obvious bait
>>
>There are people on this board right now who actually believe the earth is round.

Fucking why? Explain yourselves, spherecucks.
>>
>>29337115
>which is a good thing because nothing going on in your mind is actually objective.
Ok so you admit that you are going to frame everything as subjective and there can be no objective discussion with you.
Neat.
>>
>>29331872
ITS A JOKE, A MEME, A TROLLING OF THE BIGEST, FUCK YOU HAHA SORT
>>
>>29337104
Example 1
A flat earther youtuber called "jeranism" has multiple flat earth videos. Among these are several popular conspiracy theory videos. Just a coincidence. Completely. He isn't a payed shill to keep making people think consiracy theorists look crazy by lacing things like "sandy hook" and "san bernadino" and "flat earth" all in the same place to make conspiracy theorists look like madmen.
>>
>>29337123
your comparison is nonsensical. you rely on the existence of gravity pulling things down a slope to explain gravity as things falling down when marbles deform the sheet into slopes

more generally you can find a mathematical model consistent with many things, that isn't proof
>>
>>29336891
you can pretty much easily show the earth is round by calculating optimal routes for air planes. There is a reason flying in a straight line to your destination is the longest way to get there instead of flying in a curve. But then again I dont think many people realize you are going faster at the equator and slower the further north or south you are of it... lol
>>
File: Most Effective Design Yet.jpg (111 KB, 768x957) Image search: [Google]
Most Effective Design Yet.jpg
111 KB, 768x957
The Earth is neither flat nor a sphere. It is an oblate spheroid. Filthy casuals.
>>
File: basically you.jpg (47 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
basically you.jpg
47 KB, 850x400
>there's seriously people in this thread who believe the earth is flat

Pic related.
>>
>>29337171
well unless you know you're not a brain in a vat somehow i'm right. you're basically just going "well im going to assume this thing just so i can argue with people". which seems like a waste of time if that's your only reason but you do you
>>
>>29337189
The analogy is not the proof, dumbass. Einstein's mathematics aren't just consistent, they have never been disproven and work absolutely even as new phenomena and situations are discovered.
If you're just going to play the "its not evidence because I say so" game, then fuck off.
>>
>>29337225
And you're still conflating philosophy with fact
>>
File: 1430472270151.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1430472270151.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>29337187
>idiot with at least one obviously stupid belief has other stupid beliefs

wow that sure is unlikely
>>
>>29337260
so why did you bother giving it? you want me to give an analogy for how gravity works in my model? ok, it works like normal gravity where things are pulled into the ground i'm standing on.

the point is you were expecting some kind of mechanism for my explanation of gravity when you don't have one yourself. at some point universal laws are just laws.
>>
>>29337279
and you're assuming you know anything factually when you have no reason to think so
>>
>>29337305
Go away psyop shill
>>
>>29337187
It's not just that
It's to supply would-be actual, genuine conspiracy theorists with memes to occupy themselves with

If you have people obsessing over and spouting off about one lie, they'll do so at the expense of potentially acknowledging the truth.

You have to weed out all different kinds of people. Red herrings are useful.
>>
File: grovercleveland.jpg (30 KB, 374x250) Image search: [Google]
grovercleveland.jpg
30 KB, 374x250
>>29337382
please stay conspirafag shill, i want to laugh at you some more
>>
File: 1391333816812.jpg (40 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1391333816812.jpg
40 KB, 400x388
im getting alot of (You)s itt
>>
>>29337122
Oh alright, got it now
>>
>>29337425
have another friend
>>
If this map accurately portrays the flat earth how are airlines able to fly from chile to Australia in only 13 hours?
>>
>>29337425
Here's another on the house.
>>
File: _1388079494413.png (169 KB, 335x393) Image search: [Google]
_1388079494413.png
169 KB, 335x393
>flat earth
>not hollow earth
>>
>>29337549
It takes more than 13 hours, but because the orbit of a "flat sun" around the perimeter of the earth is different from that of a round earth around a round sun, it can appear shorter if you fly in the direction opposite to its vector. Whereas if you fly with it, it will appear longer.

Major airlines know this.
>>
>>29337721
it would take 78 hours if that map is accurate. the difference between 78 hours and 13 hours is pretty obvious.
>>
>>29331954
If the earth were flat there would be no sunset. We observe evidence for the rounded earth every day
>>
you can literally see that the earth is round from a fucking plane lmao
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.