[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why twelve hundreds and not use thousand?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: ff582-dateformatcomparison.png (17 KB, 538x245) Image search: [Google]
ff582-dateformatcomparison.png
17 KB, 538x245
I was wondering about this..
It could be because USA can't count past 999
Or it could be because month/day/year
>>
"twelve hundred" is shorter and easier to say than "one thousand two hundred" and far less autistic than "one point two thousand".
>>
>>28804503

If you think about it, mm/dd/yyyy is not really dumb/ass backwards.
>>
Why do other countries think d/m/y is so superior?

When you say the date which would you say? 'The fourth of April, 2019' or would you say "April 4th, 2019?"
>>
Really it makes more sense to use yyyy/mm/dd
In most numerical systems the leftmost digit is the one that represents the greatest quantity. So it makes more sense for it to begin with the year (the largest unit of measurement) and then decrease in size as your read to the right
>>
>>28804553

'The fourth of April, 2019'

is like that in normal languages
>>
>>28804553
for the same reason it not xx minutes: xx hour. it doesn't matter if it's superior or not, it's because of logic, how fucking retarded are you that you can't even comprehend the concept?
>>
>>28804543
>If you think about it, mm/dd/yyyy is not really dumb/ass backwards

yyyy/dd/mm, i think it is as dumb/ass as mm/dd/yyyy
>>
File: CchFsjZWoAAFDG9.jpg_large.jpg (118 KB, 922x799) Image search: [Google]
CchFsjZWoAAFDG9.jpg_large.jpg
118 KB, 922x799
This post is an original post...
>>
people also say two thousand million and such sometimes.

Fun fact: You can represent a quantity with two other quantities and a multiplication sign instead. I know, it's crazy, but it works.
>>
>>28804719
The OP is not about month/day/year, it's about twelve hundreds you moron
>>
if you guys want to benefit from our technological advances (aka electricity, the internet, modern computers, etc) you'll have to adapt to our date schematic
it's honestly a small price to pay, but i understand your mental health conditions make it difficult to adjust to new ways of thinking
>>
>>28804734
minus twelve minus hundreds

i like 'murica way of thinking
>>
>>28804769
There is a lesson here for you to learn.
>>28804503
>ff582-dateformatcomparison.png
>>
>>28804770
europlebs on suicide watch
>>
>>28804611
This. This is the only correct answer.
>>28804553
What should be said is "two thousand nineteen April fourth".
>>
>>28804543
Certainly not when half the time you don't even use the year. Normally one says "January First" Not "The First of January, My Lord".
>>
>>28804657
Hours are larger than minutes. By the Day/Month logic it should be minute:hour.
>>
>>28804719
Are you seriously this fucking incompetent? January 12th, 2010 and June 27th, 2010 are far more similar than June 27th, 2010 and June 27th, 496. Kill yourself you absolute fucktard. Year-month-day is the ONLY acceptable option. AN FUCKING HERO.
>>
>>28804822
>Normally one says "January First" Not "The First of January, My Lord".

So I am your thy Lord now
>>
twelve hundred is a lot easier to say than one thousand two hundred
>>
>>28804877
"Thy" is actually less formal than "your". No lord would ever say that.

You just got out autism'd, faggot.
>>
the "ou" sound in "thousand" is harsh on your ears
"hundred" is very smooth and dull and flows from the mouth and into the ear better
especially if you've got a nasally voice, it's just unpleasant to say
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.