[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Employment Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13
File: 1460507035624.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460507035624.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>go into a store and ask to see the manager to ask if there are any openings and have my resume
>jus apply online :^)

Anyone here ever work in a call center? I see some of those around here.
>>
>>28666731
I work at a call center and it makes me want to kill myself
As an introvert talking and arguing with people all day, stupid normie people, it just drains me so much. I'd rather be stacking shelves or moving boxes in a warehouse
>>
>>28666766
I don't know, I feel like I could do it but that does sound like it would just be absolutely draining.
>>
File: tired frog.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
tired frog.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
>>28666731
>apply online to one job
>online applications take an hour
>have to do this for every single job application
>get an automated email saying no

E V E R Y T I M E
>>
>>28666766
>>28666731
>>28667644
You should have studied harder at school :^)
>>
>>28667644
Online applications should be illegal, it's like a cruel joke. I swear I wouldn't be surprised if it just auto trashes your application if you don't answer that 500 question quiz 100% how they want it.
>>
Deliver pizzas. Ultimate robot job. Practice social interactions, listen to moody music all day, next to zero effort. Highly recommend.
>>
File: we wuz job seekers n shiet.jpg (491 KB, 934x837) Image search: [Google]
we wuz job seekers n shiet.jpg
491 KB, 934x837
>>28667682
They don't even ask for your CV or qualifications, you just fill out forms that determine what kind of person you are and how you'd act in certain situations.

>tfw it told me almost every answer I gave was great
>tfw no decent retailer wants an 18 year old
At this rate I'll have to apply to a paki corner shop.
>>28667704
It seems more like data mining than looking for employees.
>>
Also, next time I'm applying for a job online I'm definitely checking the Native American box. Guaranteed interview and they can't ask about it. Win win.
>>
>>28666731
I worked in a call center for 3 years and it was awful, you spend the day getting insulted and trying to get retarded people to understand, all of this for a shitty pay unless you manage to sell something.
Used to end the day absolutely destroyed and frustrated
>>
File: 1-GiantPoo.jpg (41 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
1-GiantPoo.jpg
41 KB, 500x303
>>28666804
the goal is to make you feel worthless until you feel so much like shit you either kill yourself or get a job then trick you into thinking you're happy by giving you the means to perpetuate the shit filled cycle while simultaneously draining you of life.

this is how superannuation or 401k works.

>you work
>you are taxed on the money you earn
>you are forced to put money into your super/401k
>the taxes and fees on the money in your super/401k are higher than the interest gained
>supposedly incentive to keep putting money in
>eventually you decide to retire
>claim your super/401k
>they tax you when you take the money out

its a big fucking joke that 'wagecucks' and everybody else seem to be okay with.
>>
File: feels bad.jpg (17 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
feels bad.jpg
17 KB, 400x380
>>28667777
Checked

What kind of call centre was it? Every time I've ever been called by a call centre it was some kind of scam or they were calling every number in the phone book looking for people who've had accidents or medical problems.
>>
all the people that tell you to get a job or study harder in school or this and that are essentially morons for feeding into this backwards ass system. they will never get anywhere they will just have a delusional sense of self worth and a comfort zone thats just a little bigger than most robots here. they are essentially the blind men leading the blind and we are sitting around with one eye wondering why the fuck everything is so shitty.
>>
File: 14348273364305.png (13 KB, 233x221) Image search: [Google]
14348273364305.png
13 KB, 233x221
>be just out of school with 3.2 engineering degree
>5 interviews in the next 5 days

Swag
>>
>>28667856
Mine had an arragenment with a local cellphone company, so I was mostly trying to sell "offers" of said phones to people, shit like buy one and get one free, but of course it wasn't free, it was a scam.
All of the offers and shit you'll receive from these places are scams and only idiots fall for them.
>>
>>28667844
Really? I'm not American so I always thought those 401k was basically savings you accessed when you retired?

How are people not outraged that they're being taxed when they use their fucking savings?
>>
>>28667897

the world is dying. you will never have enough money to comfortably retire in the first world. the reasons to get a job are thus:

1. so you can spend money on hobbies you enjoy
2. so you can skill/gear up for the day that electronic fiat money suddenly becomes worthless
3. so that if you get old enough and see that day coming, you can move to the third world and buy a house on the beach and a motorcycle and live comfortably until you're killed by malaria

that said, you literally need a job for any of this to possibly happen. the cost of living is too high to save any decent money from neetbux.
>>
>>28667993
because they all think like
>>28667930
basically it doesn't matter as long as you have enough to buy the best things long enough to keep reality at bay and till you die.
>>
File: shooting star.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
shooting star.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>28667952
>it was scam
Is existence itself not a scam?
>>
>>28668044
Nah, you didn't have to pay for it
>>
wish i had a car

l would have a job
>>
File: 7am.gif (164 KB, 494x332) Image search: [Google]
7am.gif
164 KB, 494x332
>>28668064
Surely we're paying for it right now, it's more of a long con pay as you go type thing.
>>
>>28668040
i own a small business. you cant save money this way either.

the optimal ranges seem to be either being born into wealth or just living a simple life doing blue/white collar work.

you cannot get successful unless you cut corners. the slew of taxes are way to great, which proves >>28668041 point.

when you make enough to keep reality at bay, reality aint your problem so the system is fine and doesn't need to change. its retarded, naive and doesn't make me care in the slightest.
>>
>>28668064
You pay for your existence with your tears.
>>
I don't even bother with online applications any more. The only jobs I will apply for online are ones that have a real person's email where I can send my resume and a bit about myself.

Fuck spending an hour making a profile and filling out a billion surveys only to either be instantly told "You don't fit our qualifications" or straight up never hear back.
>>
>tfw no chance of a career
>tfw know how to live off the land
Getting closer and closer every day to giving up on society
>>
>>28667993
He's wrong about 401(k), though I have no idea how that Australia version functions.

The way a 401(k) works is that you can contribute a certain amount every year. If you're over age 50 you can contribute a little bit more to try to catch up on contributions as you're getting closer to retirement age. Companies offer 401(k)s as a benefit, and there are also individual 401(k)s that can be set up for people who are self employed and for small businesses with no full time employees besides the owner or their spouse. It's also common for companies that offer 401(k)s to match your contribution up to a certain percentage.

Contributions to a qualified account, like a 401(k), come out of your pre-tax dollars. Which means that you don't pay taxes on the money you put into the plan. Instead you pay taxes when you pull the money out later on. Contributions lower your taxable income, which can potentially drop you to a lower tax bracket depending on your income.

There are still fees for a plan, which generally include management fees for the investment company and fees for the third party administrator. It all varies from one plan to another.

Once you reach age 59 1/2 you can take founds out of your 401(k) without a penalty. The money you take out becomes taxable income on top of any other income you might already be receiving. So if you plan poorly and start taking money out when you're still working and have a lot of income, you might get kicked in the teeth by taxes. On the other hand, if you plan well there are ways to access your money without getting the shit taxed out of you.

There are also many other tools for retirement planning, but 401(k)s are one of the few things that everybody knows about. Lumping all of your eggs in one 401(k) basket alone is a pretty stupid way of doing it, though. As the recession showed, you can easily get fucked by a market crash.
>>
homelessness>>>>fastfood
>>
>>28668401
Oh right, that makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation, that pretty much clears it up for me.

In NZ we have a similar-ish system called Kiwisaver that's overseen by the tax department. You don't have to join but if you do you're locked in and you can't access the money until you hit retirement age of 65 or unless you get into "severe financial hardship". I'm pretty sure the money is taken from your after-tax paycheck but you aren't taxed when you take it out, it's just dumped into your bank account when you want it. You're only taxed on it if your Kiwisaver earns money while it's sitting in a fund.

Like in the US, your employer matches your contributions to a point and so does the government, and you're given the choice as to what kind of fund your money goes into, i.e. stocks, property, cash, etc.
>>
>go into a store to apply
>starts walking manually
>breathing manually
>final countdown starts playing in my head
>go around in circles and go home instead
>>
>>28668859
iktftbqhfam
>>
>>28668846
In the US you can generally take money from your 401(k) at any time, but you still have it added to your taxable income, and if you take it before age 59 1/2 you also get hit with a 10% penalty on the distribution. There are some circumstances like if you become disabled or can claim "financial hardship" according to whatever their criteria is where you don't have to pay the 10% penalty. There may also be other penalties or surrender fees depending on the type of qualified account your money is in, some of which can be potentially severe.

Once you hit age 70 1/2 the government also starts forcing you to take distributions, which is called a Required Minimum Distribution. You have to take a certain percentage out of your qualified accounts, which is determined by your age. If you don't take your RMD you get penalized for 50% of the amount you were supposed to take out that year.
>>
>>28667743
Can't do this because I'm pale as a fucking ghost
Thankfully I have a white man's job
>>
>>28666766
This anon is right. I work in the call center of a Fortune 500 company and it blows
>>
>>28666731
>go and ask for job
>"oh i don't think we're hiring right now but you can still fill it out"
>>
>>28669039
That sounds a bit like an anti-inheritance thing. Is it meant to protect old people so they don't get pressured by their family into not using their investments so their kids can inherit more?
>>
>>28667706
>tfw did delivery
>got fired for asking for more than 12 hours a week

It's not like i skipped a single day or did anything bad, all i did was ask to work more, how the fuck is that a fireable offense? I should have called corporate on them
>>
>>28669749
You should have
>>
>>28670103
The shitty thing is this was 2 years ago, and i hear they have new management now. At least I can tell people i know what the place did to their pizzas.

Simply put, i worked 90 minute days mostly, and rarely got delivery. A person cannot work for 80 dollars a week before tips, when working at a time nobody orders at.
>>
>used to work in food service
>customer service aspect killed me
>would be much happier doing grunt kitchen hand work
>instead forced to interact with customers and pretend that I gave a shit
>employment service contract where the government subsidises my wage ends
>the cafe drops me like a sack of shit
>employment service finds me a job in a curtain factory, inserting hooks and packing curtains
>no interview
>no customer service
>just hook and pack curtains 5hrs a day
>on the same contract
>just wait six months and I'll get a shoe again
>rinse wash repeat

Just kill me now
>>
File: tumblr_nrwtvssZxi1r9kd9ro1_540.jpg (103 KB, 539x568) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrwtvssZxi1r9kd9ro1_540.jpg
103 KB, 539x568
>>28666731
Worked in three call centers.

>Tech support
>Nice gig, stupid simple problems, what I can't handle I report to the guys on the field
>turns out, the chief upstairs who doesn't even work in the building needs a new Porsche, so the TS department is now also Tech Support, Marketing, and Debts/Bills department
>Get fired within the month

Telemarketing is the worst, soul-destroying job you could ever work, apart from tending to the retarded who shit themselves. Or standing at a booth trying to hock the same tele-communications wares. God help you if that's your fate.

Seriously, avoid call centers. They're cancer. Even if you're desperate for a job, don't plan on working there for long if you don't want to feel more miserable.
>>
>>28669744
It's meant to make you pay taxes on the money. The government wants its tax money, so they make you take a portion of it out. As long as you have your money decently invested, RMDs aren't going to drain the account dry until you start to get very old - unless the market has a nutty and everything takes another nosedive.

There's also no requirement that you do anything with the money you take out. It's taxable income, but once you pay taxes on it you're free to reinvest it however you choose. You could stick it in a brokerage account and buy stocks or bonds, you could put it in a managed account, you can do whatever you want with it. You could put into a life insurance premium if you wanted.

You might be surprised how many people want to use up their money before they die and aren't concerned about leaving a lot behind for inheritance or charity or whatever.
>>
File: 1463621930973.jpg (12 KB, 300x342) Image search: [Google]
1463621930973.jpg
12 KB, 300x342
I just fucking applied yesterday.
>walk inside walmart I applied to
>lie that I got a phone call for a meeting
>ask which position I applied for
>overnight stocking
>go through the hiring process and bullshit
>scheduled next week to start
Easy as shit. Proud wage slave reporting in.
>>
>>28670721
>applied at walmart
>got hired for a job i didn't apply for

I worked carts in the middle of the coldest winter we've ever had. I have bad knees so this was the worst possible thing i could have gotten. In what world is "Stocking" code for "run around the parking lot all day and get carts and get yelled at for coming in to warm up?"
>>
File: 1463548477893.jpg (15 KB, 278x283) Image search: [Google]
1463548477893.jpg
15 KB, 278x283
>>28670757
I did overnight stocking and the entire team would go out to get carts. I remember when it was fucking freezing, raising, and windy all 3 at the same time. Fucking hell dude.
>>
>>28670809
raining****
>>
>>28670809
To give an idea of how cold it was, this was in northern Wisconsin, where we would get -30f and lower windchill. Fuck the people yelling at me for coming in to warm up, i can't walk properly because of shitty knees and i'm not going to get frostbite over a piece of shit min wage job
>>
>>28666731
Aussie thinking of lying about my heritage and saying I'm part abo just to get in because my diversity quotas.
>>
What sort of job is there even for someone who physically cannot stand for over an hour?
>>
>>28670952
public bus driver or a truck driver. There is also
>>
>>28671185
There are no buses where I live
>>
>>28666766
I feel that. I worked for a call center for FedEx not too long ago. I just ended up quitting because people's nagging was getting to be unbearable. I can't stand talking to assholes over the phone.
>>
might be getting a job in a pub soon. hoping its gonna be cosy, pulling pints for old farmers and shit
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 292x227) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 292x227
i just want to say that I work at a call center and I fucking love it. 95% of the work is doing satisfaction surveys with people who have recently been to hospitals. no cold calling, no sales, no collections.

management is cool af and dicks around more than we do. place reeks of weed after the final break for the evening shift. lots of fucking weirdos (I bet a handful of them are reading this thread) and they hire minors so lots of qte jailbait which is a blessing and a curse.
>>
>the online application is some terrible website with drop down menus and a 1999 appearance
>>
>>28666731
>Anyone here ever work in a call center?
I did for 3 months before being fired.
It was fucking awful however I think having that grain of experience helped me land a great job a few months later
>>
>>28667644
>Apply for job online
>Literally 2 minutes later get an email saying I didn't get it
>"we've seriously considered you...."
I wanted to hang myself
>>
>>28672048
You might as well toss out a resume on a very windy day, you'd have a better chance of getting hired
>>
>call centre wageslave
>in IT support for large corporation
>spend the first hald of every shift explaining to self-important strong independant women why they aren't more important than the SLAs
>spend the second half of every shift supporting IT problems of indian data entry slaves thanks to cheap outsourcing
>wakemeup.jpg
>CANTWAKEUP.PNG
>>
who /cashier/ here
>>
I get to work in the back of a bakery, from around 11 until 4 each day. Chill work, get to listen to music, sense of satisfaction, and the bakers are great guys. Shit pay cause asian bosses, but free bread. Also hot cashier chicks
>>
>>28667644
>>>28666731 (OP)
>>apply online to one job
>>online applications take an hour
>>have to do this for every single job application
>>get an automated email saying no
>E V E R Y T I M E
>>28672925
>who /cashier/ here
Goodwill cashier reporting in. Shit as fuck, waiting for the old ladies to pay those 3.27 with all cents holy shit.
>>
>>28666731
Just send like 100 applications online. Eventually, some shitty job like Christmas tree shops will call back.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.