[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we get a college thread going? how is your IT/computer science/STEM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: snake finished.jpg (82 KB, 442x593) Image search: [Google]
snake finished.jpg
82 KB, 442x593
can we get a college thread going? how is your IT/computer science/STEM program at your school?

My school fucking blows because their IT, STEM and nursing programs are neglected and our school is blowing all their money on liberal arts, media arts and art in general.

we have a bunch of special snowflake 5'6 crybabies running around while the nursing students chain smoke, the STEM people are always complaining about math homework and the ITfags are forced to buy our own routers, switches and end devices to practice configurations on.

The liberal arts people even complained about the algebra classes they were forced to take so now they only have to take one math class to get a liberal arts degree and its basically 9th grade probability and statistics.
>>
cool technology thread
>>
>>28546317
cool blog thread
>>
File: gatech-logo.gif (17 KB, 996x333) Image search: [Google]
gatech-logo.gif
17 KB, 996x333
Apparently my school is pretty good with STEM
>>
ITT soon to be unemployed and in mountains of debt
>>
IDK about my school's CS department because I'm in a real major. I'm just here for the intel/Nvidia/amd shitposting.
>>
File: 1462650907905.png (1 MB, 1002x666) Image search: [Google]
1462650907905.png
1 MB, 1002x666
>>28546317
Im in medicine. I should probably study more.

After residency and all that jazz here is how my job outlook goes, maybe 10 years from today if the current system remains:

Work one week mon-fri 10 hr a day and get the next week off for 280k per year.

Choose to work an additional shift instead of taking every other week off and we are looking at that break week consisting of 5 days, 8 hrs per day for slightly less, $200k per year.

Combine the two (I hope this is clear to you ppl, I can do one week then one week off or I can choose to work a shift during the week off at a different hospital) and you get $480k per year.

Clinical reasearch/ big pharma money gives my an extra $40-65k a year. $20k bonus no matter what.

So at best I get a solid $565k, in texas were im at at the moment.

Net pay a month after taxes is $28,500k according to paycheck city but usually there are some significant breaks that doctors get, as public servants ofcourse. So it is more like $30k/month.

The downside is my $170k in debt that I need to pay back. Then I want to get a downpayment on a house, an E63 amg or similar car. Maybe a sportscar at some point. Money for vacation, I get 2-4 weeks I think. So the first 10 years of practice should be very busy.
>>
>>28546323
Bubble's gotta burst sometime anon.

Unless you're a heart surgeon, market's going to be flooded with NPs soon enough and automated diagnostics.
>>
>>28546323
Nice blog
>>
>>28546324
Not at all actually. It has been more expensive to higher NPs overall and physician assistants because higher ups got too bullish trying to replace docs. Now those people are all below me in educational level, even today as I am in my third year. They make mistakes, a lot of them, and that costs the hospital much more in malpractice cases than the benefit as compared to getting a physician.

There will be a 90k physician shortage as well by 2025, so unless poeple stop getting sick my shit is covered for at elast the next 20 years.
>>
>>28546326
What if Hillary gets elected and finishes the rape of the medical system?
>>
>>28546325
thanks man

Someone would have asked me what exactly and I geuss I lost myself in a train of thought, salivating over this here future doing something I enjoy and walking around with human slaves (staff)/ test (los infermos) subjects to boss around.
>>
>>28546326
Delusional narcissist, you'll be a great physician.
>>
>>28546327
Obama care didn't work out and got more expensive than it should be. People are pissed their premiums went up.

She will enevitably replace obama care with something european and I will Try to elaborate first of all what that would look like to me, and I will tell you if you are interested that is, what that would look like for you.

I myself am OK earning $8-10k a month after tax (I doubt it would fall lower than that, and this seems about right somehow). because a european doctor salary also means european doctor time off. Which means I will still be working, just 1 week at a time and have a shorter work day.

Sure, the money won't be what it used to, but any future were I enjoy my job and have enough money to buy a new volvo every 3 years plus make my bills sounds good.
>>
>>28546323
Fuck Americans are rich. Fuck my parents for choosing Canada instead of America.
>>
>>28546329

thanks man. If it is any concelation I think that 90% of my patients are generally nice people and I do my best to put myself in their shoes. Patients don't want to be sick in the hospital, they don't like me probably or are intimidated, but if I word what I say real simple and smile I get to be done with them within 15 minutes.

The other 10% are pigs and I will let the nursing staff deal with the as much as I can legally allow.
>>
>>28546330
The ONLY thing that could screw me real good is if my student loan debt doesn't go away as well.
>>
>>28546331
Well son, my parents were originally serbian. My father worked as a gardener for 30 years and my mother as a nurse. We struggled with bills for a long time and things were not easy. I knew as a kid I needed to get a real education and become top notch in whatever it was I studied.

I did not have many friends in HS, I even took after school and summer classes at the local community college to get into a better school. I also worked with my father most summers after the age of 14. He did not pay, not that he did not want to.

College was a mess and a blur. Took a lot of speed to stay up late and study.
>>
File: you're pretty good.png (131 KB, 313x398) Image search: [Google]
you're pretty good.png
131 KB, 313x398
>>28546317
>how is your IT/computer science/STEM program at your school?
graduated but it wasn't great. I wonder if I would've gotten better education/$ by going with a state college 2bh. a lot of the general education/electives felt like 13th grade tier shit aka classes I could've gotten at community college for free or very cheap cost.

Tech classes were mostly good, though you could tell which professors actually put any work/prep into their classes, and which were just coasting by on stuff they might've thrown together years ago and don't really have current/recent experience or knowledge. Some of these profs will just give you an A if you show up every class meeting and do the work more or less. This contributes to the problem of people graduating with the same degree but getting wildly different levels of knowledge.

pretty depressing watching the IT class sizes dwindle from quarter/semester to the next. Zero girls were left a year in, but if i had gone into nursing I'd be outnumbered like 1-3 guys to at least a dozen girls in the classrooms I've seen.

>forced to buy your own network hardware
holy shit what?
>>
File: bones13.jpg (306 KB, 1268x781) Image search: [Google]
bones13.jpg
306 KB, 1268x781
>>28546335
yea, my cisco CCNA classes had a shocking amount of black people in it, I judged the shit out of them since I grew up poor and seen thugs all the time. one dude was literally covered in tattoos and even had the chiraq savage cross tattoo between his eyes but he ended being cool as fuck and they all actually passed all 4 CCNA classes. I had to buy my own shit because our school sucks and blows all their money on these art gatherings and conventions they throw at the school. Im about to graduate and those 4 CCNA classes are the only IT related courses that I actually took in person.

our school cant even afford to hire people to teach other IT shit so they pawn it off to online classes where everything was copy paste "read chapter 1, take chapter 1 test" stuff. I almost want to say everything I learned about networking was self taught pretty much,
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.