[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
posting here because i didnt get a good answer, hello there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 24
File: cig.png (81 KB, 720x523) Image search: [Google]
cig.png
81 KB, 720x523
posting here because i didnt get a good answer,

hello there b, i am interested in taking up smoking and have a few questions, i know that most people say that all cigarettes are equally bad but my grand dad smoked camels until the day he died at 82 in a car accident, so i want to know which brand of cigarettes contain the least amount of cancer, i know that marlboros probably have the most cancer in them because they are nicknamed cowboy killers, i saw an old cigarette commercial that said more doctors smoke camels than any other cigarette, could that mean that the reason my grand dad lived so long was because camels contain a low amount of cancer than say marlboro or pall mall?
>>
what in the cancer fuck am I reading
>>
Try a variety to find out what taste you like.

All cigarettes will give you cancer.

If you have any willpower you can smoke casually.
>>
>>27751849
> hello there b

fuck

All cigarettes will kill you, Marlboro are probably the worst but camels will still fuck you up big time. The only tobacco I can think of which is noticeably less cancerous is American Spirit. Smoking cigarettes is a meme and scam. Smoke cigars or a pipe if you like the taste of tobacco
>>
File: 1456307422332.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1456307422332.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>27751849
5/10

friendo

original
>>
>>27751849
the safest ciggy(if such a thing exists) would either be a brand called Raison from south korea or marlboro filter plus 3mg. they have very few cancer in them
>>
This right here is some next-level shitposting.
>>
>>27751849
>2016
>Not smoking cancer free cigars

What are you, some kind of faggot?
>>
I guess they all might have some different content but I wouldn't think it'd be enough to matter. I've been smoking since I was 11, it was the poor choice of an idiot kid and I lack the discipline and willpower to quit. 24 now, still smoking. Pyramid Red 100's because they're cheap. As for the cancer that comes more down to luck than anything. Some can smoke their whole lives and die of unrelated causes at old age like your grandpa. Others can never smoke at all and get throat cancer for no reason. It'll increase the chances but there's no way to be certain if you'll get cancer from it.
>>
>>27751849
Eh I tried it and didn't see the appeal.
Like I felt compelled to smoke more but I didn't get any pleasure from it.

We're all gonna die someday so crack on champ. Second biggest problem I see is cigarettes are fucking expensive so find some tobacco you like and roll your own.
>>
I smoke camel crush once a week
How much weekly cancer is that
>>
Don't start smoking, you fucking idiot. It's worthless. You're paying to get sick.
>>
OP NO!! DON'T START SMOKING.

I smoke, it sucks. Cigarettes are all I think about! I smoke anywhere from 2-3 packs a day. It'll also make you alienated from a lot of people, ages you, and makes you smell. A lot of girls won't date guys that smoke. Smoking gets on anyone's nerves who doesn't smoke themselves.

You (probably) won't get cancer, but please please do not start. It is expensive, stinky, and stains your teeth and gives you breathing problems and social problems.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT.
>>
>>27751904
yes i heard that since american spirit is organic it naturally contains less cancer than the ones with lots of additives, the only problem is they're expensive, i smoked a black and mild and really liked it except that i cant afford four dollars for a five pack, which is disappointing because cigars have less cancer than cigarettes
>>
>>27751929
What are those anon?

Also I heard that cigs you roll up yourself (not straights that people normally buy) are less damaging to you, I don't know what they are called or where to buy the powder and paper. someone tell me and recommend some stuff
>>
>>27752006
What's the difference between cigars and cigarettes anon? Aren't they the same? Is one better than the other? Why are cigarettes cheaper and more cancerous? Why does adding all the bad stuff make it cheaper than plain ol OG?
>>
>>27751956
practically none. smoking is measured in "pack years" which means smoking a pack a day for a year. you don't even qualify as a smoker.
>>
>>27752079
you don't inhale cigars unless you are some kind of autistic edge lord
>>
>>27752079
cigars are made with less caustic tobacco which results in a significantly lower cancer quantity, and cigarettes are expensive because of taxes,
>>
>>27751849
It doesn't really matter how which ones you smoke I don't care what people say about smoking the whole reason I picked up smoking was for the sole purpose of getting cancer
>>
smoking is pretty awesome for depressed, ADD introverts. it makes you feel relaxed and more focused at the same time. unfortunately, it also tastes nasty and stinks.

snus seems to be the best and healthiest way to use tobacco, so i'd recommend that.
>>
>>27752111
Huh? I don't get it? Are you saying autistic edgelords only use cigars?

>>27752122
But >>27752006 said the cigars are more expensive, not the cigarettes... I'm confused
How do you tell the difference between a cigarette and cigar? How do you know which one has the less caustic stuff? Why do most people make caustic cigarettes anyways? Why not be "healthy " and avoid the taxes?
>>
>>27752079
Cigarettes are tobacco + additives rolled up in paper with a filter at the end. Cigars are 100% tobacco; the filler is tobacco, the wrapper on the outside is tobacco (leaf), the bit which you smoke through is tobacco. The only part of a cigar which isn't tobacco is the label, which you take off, and the herbal glue which keeps it from falling apart.

Cigars have way more tobacco in than cigarettes, and most decent cigars are at least $5 a stick compared to less than $1 for a ciggy (In some states, one cigarette is worth something like $0.25). Cigars don't contain a lot of the shit that cigarettes contain, so they are less likely to give you cancer. You also can't really inhale the smoke from cigars, since it's too dense and rich, so you're far less likely to get lung cancer.

Note that the first time I smoked a cigarette, I was fine. I smoked an entire pack and just felt slightly buzzed. The first time I smoked a cigar I was dizzy for 3 hours and puking everywhere. I tried to smoke it like a cigarette (frequent, deep draws, sometimes into the lungs) and it backfired. Almost called an ambulance because I had no idea what the fuck was going on
>>
>>27752143
i heard that dipping has a lot more cancer than cigarettes but it only gets in your mouth so its not as bad as inhaling into your lungs, still smoking looks very cool indeed,
>>
>>27752185
>How do you tell the difference between a cigarette and cigar?

This whole thread is bait, isn't it anon
>>
>>27752188
black and milds are a dollar not five,
>>
>>27752196

snus isn't dipping you pleb.
>>
File: 20151101_151221-1_zpscfpvwbdv.jpg (573 KB, 1377x1381) Image search: [Google]
20151101_151221-1_zpscfpvwbdv.jpg
573 KB, 1377x1381
>>27752247
you pleb,*
>>
>>27752221
Black and milds are different to most normal cigars. If you want a genuine 6" robusto and pay $1 then you'll be smoking floor sweepings, not tobacco
>>
>>27752188
Cool, can you answer >>27752024 as well? I'm curious to this smoking thing. How do you smoke a cigar anyways and how do you know if you're buying a cigar instead of a cigarette? Also why are cigars so expensive vs cigarettes? I thought they would be more expensive because taxes on the bad stuff. Also wouldn't pore tobacco be cheaper? Or are all the additives in cigarettes easy and cheap to make. Why do cigarettes use such bad materials anyways? To get people addicted? Also why is smoking a cigar different from a cigarette? Why do you need long deep succ? Sorry for the questions, anyone can answer
>>
>>27752024
desu, tobacco smoke from whether it comes from a cigar, or a cigarrete, are still bad.
>>
>>27752308
Google is that way mane --->
>>
>>27752308
>how do you know if you're buying a cigar instead of a cigarette?

How old are you? Genuine question
>>
existing will kill you 100% proved. if smoking makes your time here better, go right ahead
>>
>>27752308
I'm not sure how old you are, but my advice would be to not think about smoking at all. If you choose to smoke a cigar, don't be surprised if you feel extremely ill immediately after. Same goes for most tobacco to be honest
>>
File: bemused_robot.gif (2 MB, 600x366) Image search: [Google]
bemused_robot.gif
2 MB, 600x366
>>27752343
>>27752323
>>27752658
It's not really an age thing, I've never even considered the topic of smoking before, I never intend to get into it, so why learn? I'm genuinely curious on what you guys can enlighten me about cigars and cigarettes. I guess I can Google these things, but I feel like some things you can't Google, like experiences you guys have also I'm lazyyyyyyyyyy
>>
File: cigarette-cigar.jpg (78 KB, 341x209) Image search: [Google]
cigarette-cigar.jpg
78 KB, 341x209
>>27752885

I'm just surprised that you don't know how to tell the difference between cigars and cigarettes. Pic related
>>
File: cuckold1.jpg (128 KB, 360x496) Image search: [Google]
cuckold1.jpg
128 KB, 360x496
Yall motherfuckers can't be serious.
>>
>>27752959
Ohhhhh there the brown ones ok. I've seen them before, never knew there was a different nomenclature and stuff to it. Sorry of my curiosity to the whole system of this makes me seem underage if you want to answer any of the questions I posed, like the whole price and additives thing, I'd really appreciate itttt. . how do pipes work btw? Are they as pure as cigars? Do you not breathe deeply with them as well? How do you "breathe without your lungs" when smoking cigars. I assume they are called cigarettes because they are smaller than cigars (buy why make them even more bad for your health?). Why are cigarettes so popular despite the health problems? O really shouldn't burden you guys with this, I might quora it
>>
File: doTn2.jpg (209 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
doTn2.jpg
209 KB, 1600x1067
>>27753147
> how do pipes work btw? Are they as pure as cigars?

Never smoked them. I know that you use pipe tobacco which is generally similar to the tobacco used in cigars. I would assume that the rule of not inhaling still applies, still no idea though

> How do you "breathe without your lungs" when smoking cigars

When you suck liquid through a straw into your mouth, it just stays in your mouth. You do the same thing with cigars. You know if you've done it wrong when you start coughing. There's a bit of an art to it, but you just have to suck the smoke with your mouth (as opposed to breathing it in with your chest)

> (buy why make them even more bad for your health?)

They aren't necessarily worse for you. But people who smoke cigarettes will end up smoking a LOT more tobacco per day than a cigar smoker. This is because each individual cigarette is much smaller and much cheaper. One cigar can take you up to an hour or two to smoke. One cigarette will take a few mintues. They also contain additives to keep them fresh on the shelf. Cigars are kept fresh using humidors (humidified cabinets) and don't need these additives

> Why are cigarettes so popular despite the health problems?

Cigars are:
More expensive
Harder to get
Harder to verify (there are a lot of fake cubans around)
Harder to preserve/smoke

When you smoke cigars you need a humidor to keep them fresh. These can set you back upwards of $50 for a good one. You then need a cigar cutter which will cost you another $5-$10. Then you need a good hour to sit down and enjoy the cigar. It's difficult to buy just one cigar, so most of the time you'll end up spending $50 or so for a fiver of cigars. Cigarettes are like, $8 a pack and can be smoked immediately. They're less hassle
>>
File: o7Hfy.jpg (649 KB, 1468x2370) Image search: [Google]
o7Hfy.jpg
649 KB, 1468x2370
>>27752024
> Also I heard that cigs you roll up yourself (not straights that people normally buy) are less damaging to you

Technically yes, they're still cigarettes though. The reason they're 'less bad' is because the tobacco isn't as shit, and you can smoke it without a filter. Filters in normal cigarettes (the spongey bit which separates the tobacco from your mouth, generally marked by orange paper) have in the past been linked with cancer. Most people that I know who roll use RAW roaches instead of filters. These are organic bits of card which are considered safer to smoke than the filters in normal cigarettes.

> I don't know what they are called

They're still cigarettes. Some people call them rollups

> where to buy the powder and paper

Any tobacco shop convenience store. The 'powder' is just pouched tobacco. The paper costs nothing, the most famous brand being rizla. The only brands of rolling tobacco I know are Amber Leaf, Golden Virginia, and American Spirit
>>
>>27753508
> use RAW roaches instead of
Problem is that smoking like this damages your lips and makes your fingers yellow after a week, atleast with my smoking habits. Definitely smoke with a decent filter.
>>
>>27752308
> Also why are cigars so expensive vs cigarettes?

Cigars are much bigger. Cigars have far more tobacco. The tobacco used is much higher quality. They are usually rolled abroad and imported in.

> Why do cigarettes use such bad materials anyways? To get people addicted?

To give them a shelf life I assume. Could be for taste as well.

> Also why is smoking a cigar different from a cigarette?

The smoke from a cigarette is wispy and thin. It's still caustic, but because cigarettes are so skinny you can generally breath it right in and not make yourself ill. Cigar smoke is darker and richer; more is pulled into your mouth at the same time, which means less oxygen gets in. Imagine eating a fairy cake vs a really dark chocolate sponge cake. As I said before, I got very ill when I smoked my first cigar. I hadn't eaten anything and was inhaling it. You're supposed to puff maybe, 5 times a minute max and not breath in
>>
>>27751849
Just use snuff.
>>
>>27751973
I dunno about that one. Every I know that smokes has gotten laid. Yes it was with another smoker, but it's something.
>>
>>27753389
Huh cool, I would assume that all the additives and such would make cigarettes more expensive, why do that have a filter btw? Fake cubans? So it's a brand name deal now? Don't other companies make cigars? Cigars seem really complex, I wouldn't mind you explaining them in more detail if you want. I might Google to learn more now.

>>27753508
Is the tobacco shelf life the same as cigarettes or more like cigars? Also does the paper to roll up matter? Are there different kinds? Like getting tobacco leaf? What's so special about rizla?

>>27753587
Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it. How does tobacco purity work? I guess the real pricy part of cigs is the tobacco content instead of the other stuff like additives then huh?

I wonder how tobacco is grown and turned into cigars now, might look for a documentary or something
>>
File: 6amHt9g.jpg (479 KB, 1836x2448) Image search: [Google]
6amHt9g.jpg
479 KB, 1836x2448
>>27753826
> additives and such would make cigarettes more expensive

The additives are cheap and supplied en masse. Cigarettes are surprisingly cheap to make

> why do that have a filter btw?

It's to stop tobacco, in particular hot tobacco, falling in your mouth. Some people also say it makes the smoke 'smoother' (changes the taste/consistency)

> Fake cubans? So it's a brand name deal now?

There's some complex history behind this. I live in Europe now which means I'm fairly safe in terms of being able to buy a genuine cigar. For the past 50 or 60 years in the US, you can only sell/possess cigars if they haven't been made by a Cuban company (due to the trade embargo). Cuban cigars are generally considered 'the best' cigars due to the quality of the tobacco, so people started making dodgy versions claiming they were real. 'Cuban' isn't a brand, just a style. The most popular, and most often counterfeit cuban brand, is Cohiba.

> Don't other companies make cigars?

Loads of companies make cigars. I'm smoking an Alex Bradley right now which is from Florida

> Cigars seem really complex

Just know that cigars are more or less entirely comprised of tobacco. The tobacco is grown as a leaf, and then ground up into finer particles. Another leaf is then taken and cured (ie. roasted) and used to wrap the powdered tobacco in. Pic related is what cigar rolling looks like. This is a simple version of what actually happens. The cigar needs to stay 'humidified' to prevent it from drying out and tasting like shit, and since cigars don't contain the same additives as cigarettes, you need a humidor. A humidor is generally a wooden box with a small humidifying pack inside that keeps things from drying out. You don't want your cigars to be wet, in fact you want them to be slightly oily on the wrapper, but you definitely don't want them to be dry. (cont)
>>
File: k7KwR7F.jpg (104 KB, 1024x851) Image search: [Google]
k7KwR7F.jpg
104 KB, 1024x851
>>27754084
I meant this picture, that picture is of a paint chip found in a fake cigar

> (cont)

Cigars need to be cut to be smoked. This is because when you wrap the tobacco in the leaf, you leave no hole from which to inhale from. So the smoker needs to make a hole using a guillotine cigar cutter (you can buy these at a smoke shop). The hole/cut is made at the very tip of the cap. If you cut it too far from the end, you risk unraveling the cigar, so be careful. You can use a normal knife to cut a cigar, or even your teeth if you want to look like clint eastwood, but it won't be as clean
>>
I'll try to help you out, OP. Choosing from a huge wall filled with boxes of cigarettes of all colors and names can feel a bit intimidating, to anybody.

I hear you are not a fan of smoking too much cancer. You're looking to live a long happy life. That's all very good. Maybe a bit too ambitious now that you're going to be a smoker, but it's still very good. To keep the cancer out of your lungs, you're gonna wanna look out for getting "lights". Just about every brand has its own light variety. Lights have a very thick filter, which blocks out almost all of the tar, and that gives you a much softer experience that's easier on your lungs.
>>
>>27754148
I thank you again for your information. I won't apply it, but it's fun to learn. Why are cubans considered the best? Is it just a meme? And what makes their style so different than others? What kind of styles are there? Are there any other countries that have cigar processing plants? Do they sell to the US (I live in Canada so I'm sure it's different and I probably won't be able to buy any, don't worry bbg) Is it possible to buy the ingredients separately and roll it yourself, or will the tobacco powder dry up? Is there such thing as "home brewing" cigars, or do tobacco plants only grow in warm climates?
>>
>>27754200

i think they can't call them lights anymore. after not smoking for 3 years, i went to a 7-11 and asked for camel lights and they looked at my like i had two heads. apparently they are called "camel blue" now
>>
Smoke American Spirits. They are the cleanest cigarettes there are
>>
File: 1452297899666.jpg (229 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
1452297899666.jpg
229 KB, 500x705
>>27753826
> Is the tobacco shelf life the same as cigarettes or more like cigars?

In my experience people tend to keep rolling tobacco ziplocced, so it lasts longer than cigarettes. From my past smoking experience as a meter, I would usually leave a pack for 5 or 6 days before chucking it for going stale. Cigars, when humidified, can last for years. They can go dry in a matter of hours if you leave them out in hot conditions, however. I keep my cigars in a tupperware container with a damp sponge, this keeps them for about a month as long as I change the sponge every few days.

> Also does the paper to roll up matter?

No, the only difference is size (regular vs xl). Some claim to have different tastes as well, which I would avoid. Rizla, OCB, and RAW are the best brands I know

> What's so special about rizla?

Nothing, it's just a cheap paper brand

> Are there different kinds? Like getting tobacco leaf?

Do you mean can you roll cigarettes in tobacco leaf? They would then become cigarillos. You probably couldn't buy tobacco leaves in most smoke shops

> How does tobacco purity work?

I don't know much about that. Some fake brands cut their tobacco with paint/cardboard/wood (see >>27754084
), and there are different strains/types of tobacco which are more refined and therefore more expensive. Most American tobacco, by my knowledge, is fairly cheap

> I guess the real pricy part of cigs is the tobacco content instead of the other stuff like additives then huh?

They're pricey because they're in demand, they have big brand names behind them, they have massive taxes levied on them. Even in light of that, you can still get them fairly cheap in some places

> Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it.

It was all me, my friend
>>
>>27754263
I smoked camel blues all the time, can confirm they are smoother. But I do remember Marlboro lights being on the shelf
>>
>>27754300
Guess you weren't allowed to bring friends. All these learns are nice. Can you explain cigarillos more? Cutting tobacco and putting paint and stuff in it? Why? What is the process of "cutting"? Are cigarettes taxed as much as cigars? I hope so. considering how cheap they are ($0.25 vs $5) do cigarettes have little to no tobacco/demand/branding?
>>
>>27754257
>Why are cubans considered the best? Is it just a meme?

It's a meme that's been running for 150 years. Latin America has a massive tobacco culture, in particular a massive cigar smoking culture. When you look at tobacco/wrapper types, you will notice they are named after places in South America/Cuba. It's just their thing. The Cubans are extremely passionate about cigars and are generally considered to be artisans of cigar making. This is in the same way that the Germans are artisans of beer, or the French of wine.

> And what makes their style so different than others? What kind of styles are there?

'Style' was the wrong word, but their cigars focus more on quality than quantity if you know what I mean. They don't cheap out (hence, why cohibas are expensive as fuck)

Different types of cigar come down to size, shape, and tobacco type. As a hall mark:

Darker colours mean a stronger tobacco, lighter colours mean a smoother tobacco
Longer/fatter cigars (obviously) take longer to smoke
Fatter cigars taste slightly richer

There are different 'calibers' of cigar if you like. A double corona is the largest and can take 2 hours to smoke. A petit corona on the other hand, is small and takes half an hour

> Are there any other countries that have cigar processing plants?

Yes, all countries in South America, and many in the US (eg. Alec Bradley).

> Do they sell to the US

They do now. Canada has always had access to cuban cigars, there's still reason to be wary though, Cubans are still faked even in Europe

> Is it possible to buy the ingredients separately and roll it yourself, or will the tobacco powder dry up? Is there such thing as "home brewing" cigars, or do tobacco plants only grow in warm climates?

I don't have much knowledge on this. I imagine you can if you got in contact with a refinery, but you're right that tobacco will only grow in hot/humid countries
>>
>>27754529
I probably won't try it for myself (I have no knowledge about what brands to buy and such up here) so can you describe the tastes? Like smooth tobacco vs strong, rich vs poor (also is that why you only let the smoke stay in your mouth and not lungs? Why aren't cigarettes like that? Why do they involve succ?), E.t.c. are cubans objectively better due to the meme? Or can you get equally good and cheaper cigs from other brands
>>
>>27754472
>Can you explain cigarillos more?

Cigarillos are just unusually small cigars. They're not very popular as far as I know

> Cutting tobacco and putting paint and stuff in it? Why?

So they don't have to buy actual expensive tobacco from Cuba like Cohiba does. They just put shit in it to fill it with something. Paint and bits of paper are cheap, so they mix it with tobacco and sell them as fakes. This is something I would only worry about when buying Cuban/Mexican cigars. You can look up how to identify fake ones

> What is the process of "cutting"?

It's just cutting a hole at the end so you can smoke it. Pic related is someone using a pencil to cut a hole for them to inhale through

> Are cigarettes taxed as much as cigars?

Depends where you live, in most places I would assume the rates are the same

> do cigarettes have little to no tobacco/demand/branding?

How do you mean? Cigarettes have huge demand and branding, but each cigarette has about half a gram of tobacco in (not very much)
>>
File: PJ9yz.jpg (23 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
PJ9yz.jpg
23 KB, 720x540
>>27754670
Forgot pic, this is someone cutting with a pencil
>>
Lucky strikes or Gauloises Blue. Additive free cigs are not that different. Its mostly the taste that differs.
>>
>>27754670
I was relating to what you said about why cigars are so expensive vs cigarettes. Something must have made cigarettes so cheap, was it the branding? the demand? The tobacco content? I don't get why people just use rollups or cigars instead of cheap cancer, but that's just me. Do cigarillos have the same shelf life as cigars?
>>
>>27754670
(different anon)
i'm reading all your posts. thanks for this.
>>
File: death.png (671 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
death.png
671 KB, 800x600
>>27754631
>I have no knowledge about what brands to buy and such up here

Should be the same as anywhere else really. You'll definitely find some cohibas in a cigar shop in Canada

> so can you describe the tastes? Like smooth tobacco vs strong, rich vs poor

Stronger tobacco is just more stringent, kind of like black coffee vs cappucino. Cigar tobacco tends to have a more woodsmoked feel than cigarettes. Cigarettes, especially Marlboro imo, taste like they came out of a lab.

> also is that why you only let the smoke stay in your mouth and not lungs?

Yes, cigar smoke is far too strong to inhale comfortably like a cigarette. Try drinking a pint of beer, that's like inhaling a cigarette. Now try drinking a pint of whiskey, it's slightly harder to complete because it's too strong. Keep in mind first timers to cigarettes will have a hard time inhaling as well

> are cubans objectively better due to the meme?

Cubans are better because they have the 'best' brands. Imagine if porsche was based in Cuba, and Ford was based in the US. Most people would be inclined to say that Cuba has the 'best cars' because they're made with more care and are more expensive. Cohibas are, in my opinion, probably the best there is. I smoke US brands all the time though, and they're fine
>>
File: 1459740338072s.jpg (8 KB, 250x196) Image search: [Google]
1459740338072s.jpg
8 KB, 250x196
>>27751849
i havent smoked in weekd and this post made me feel like i had to light one up.

smoking cigarettes is a strange pleasure, once you start you will always have a cigarette here and there. it can help you make new friends, but it is mostly i curse. you will always crave em once you start.

Do i regret it? no i do not. it makes me meel like i am more in touch with other generations because of it sometimes. but all in all its just a nasty habit, but also one of mans greatest addictions.
>>
>so i want to know which brand of cigarettes contain the least amount of cancer
You're a fucking idiot dude. Honestly. Look at a box of lights if you can, it'll literally say that these types of cigarettes(i.e. lights) aren't made to be less harmful then their regular counter-parts.

And for fuck sake don't start smoking. Who the fuck just wakes up and is like "Oh I know lets just start smoking because why the fuck not lol."

I used to smoke since my freshman year of high school. So about 5 years give or take. It makes you smell like shit, it makes you stressed when you are running low or don't have any and literally no one will think you look 'cool' doing it. Don't even get me started on the money you'll waste. If you wanna smoke something then smoke weed you fucking sperg.
>>
OP I don't know if you're trolling or stupid, but tobacco smoke is inherently harmful. There is no way around it.

Not only will it give you cancer, but it seriously fucks up your lungs. You'll start coughing phlegm every day.

I'm an ex smoker. Now I vape.
>>
File: 1444633554717.jpg (779 KB, 2048x1357) Image search: [Google]
1444633554717.jpg
779 KB, 2048x1357
>>27754875
For reference a pack of 25 'Montecristo No4' cigars will run you 250 pounds in the UK. A pack of 25 'Cohibo Lanceros' will run you close to 600 pounds. Both are cuban

>>27754854

Anytime robofriend
>>
>>27754915
like i said want to start smoking because of the taste and the adrenaline rush from nicotine, looking cool is just a bonus and im not afraid of cancer, and i really believe that some cigarettes are more safe than others, why would american spirt make organic cigarettes if it wasnt better for you,? or why they make cigars if they werent a lot better for you,?
>>
>>27754875
Well i think that's all my questions, you made this a good thread op, thanks. If you have any more things to share go ahead, we're happy to learn. Oh, one more thing, how addictive is cigars vs cigarettes? How addictive are they in general (ex vs another medium, like vidya or anime)? When people smoke one, so they get sucked in to keep trying them? If yes, they why? Peers? Media? Also how does tobacco hold up against other "smokeables"? How about vaping? What's up with that? I don't get why there are so many teen smokers tbqh, personally I don't get smoking cancer in general, just go for the good stuff if you really want a hit.
>>
>>27754983
WEW that's... Woah... That's a lot of GBP. Can you buy single sticks or something? I'm the Canada guy, I might try a HQ one just to see how it is, curiosity killed the cat as they say
>>
File: tumblr_nxa6h11VFh1qztcdbo1_500.jpg (55 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxa6h11VFh1qztcdbo1_500.jpg
55 KB, 500x331
>>27754819
Cigarettes are cheap because they have barely any tobacco in them. The paper is cheap as well, and they don't hand roll (to my knowledge), it's all done by robots. Cigars contain heaps more tobacco, are handrolled, imported, etc...

> I don't get why people just use rollups or cigars

Most people who rollup cite better tatse and I am inclined to agree. It also feels cooler to roll one than to buy one. I should also mention that a 50g pack of tobacco can get you like, 75 cigs for 20 quid. If you were to buy 75 cigs in packs, it would cost more like 30+ quid, so rolling tobacco is cheaper than buying cigs

Also, cigars are completely different from cigarettes; the only similarity is that both contain tobacco. Cigars are much finer and better made. A cigar is to a cigarette like French wine is to Budweiser

> Do cigarillos have the same shelf life as cigars?

I'd assume yes
>>
>>27755018
>why would american spirt make organic cigarettes if it wasnt better for you,?
To market them to clueless retards like you
>>
>>27755132
I guess society, price, and ease of access/use makes cigarettes more popular than cigars/rollups. I wonder if cigar companies can afford to cheapen their prices, maybe challenge traditional cigarettes, probably not. People should at least rollup more
>>
File: tumblr_m396kzDv8h1rpx9bqo1_500.jpg (74 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m396kzDv8h1rpx9bqo1_500.jpg
74 KB, 500x455
>>27755018
The adrenaline rush will go fairly quickly after regular smoking. I really, really recommend that you don't touch tobacco. American Spirits aren't better for you necessarily, they're just not as bad

>>27755048

> how addictive is cigars vs cigarettes?

If people were able to smoke cigars like cigarettes (eg. smoke 20 a day), then cigars would be way, way more addictive. The fact is that cigarettes are designed to be addictive. Easy to get, quick to smoke. Since the average cigar smoker probably only has one after dinner, I would say cigarettes are technically more addictive.

> How addictive are they in general

They're addictive. They contain nicotine, you can get hooked on cigars easy

> When people smoke one, so they get sucked in to keep trying them

Sort of. When I first smoked cigarettes I wasn't addicted. I just smoked a pack every week or two, then two a week, then once every two days, then...whoops I'm addicted. The thing with cigars is that they're too expensive and take too long to smoke to be as addictive as cigarettes. That is to say, as long as you don't treat them like cigarettes

> If yes, they why? Peers? Media?

Biological addiction, people thinks it makes them look cool, people think they're invincible, etc...

> Also how does tobacco hold up against other "smokeables"?

In terms of taste, I think tobacco is king. Weed is mediocre, and tea isn't designed to be smoked and could be dangerous to burn (imo). I vape sometimes. 'Vaping' is heating up two chemicals, both of which are tested and thus far assumed safe, so that they evaporate and can be inhale. It's not the two chemicals that people are worried about, but the flavourings (no one really knows whether flavourings can become carcinogenic when heated). In my opinion, vaping is safe if done responsibly
>>
File: tumblr_nzyptfIW0K1tkwhs9o1_500.jpg (53 KB, 499x564) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzyptfIW0K1tkwhs9o1_500.jpg
53 KB, 499x564
>>27755280
Note that the market for cigars is different to the market for cigarettes. For the most part I think people who buy cigars appreciate that they will be paying a high price

>>27755099
Yes, that's very high end stuff. The best Cohibas will cost you 1000 pounds easily for 25. I just bought five Robustos for 30 pounds; they're good, but they're not Cuban, and they're fairly 'run of the mill'. These Robustos are from Florida btw
>>
File: midnight.png (580 KB, 958x668) Image search: [Google]
midnight.png
580 KB, 958x668
>>27755099
If you walk into a tobacco shop and ask for one cigar that'll probably be fine, yes
>>
>>27755340
>>27755421
I think I'm all out of questions now, can you give vaping the same light you gave cigars? learning about that would be nice too. In Canada vapes have the same age limitations as cigars now, so maybe there is some sketchy business. Can you make poor quality vapes? Will there ever be a cube equivalent vape?
>>
File: xysy1ngxc05hukjc73qq.jpg (62 KB, 640x351) Image search: [Google]
xysy1ngxc05hukjc73qq.jpg
62 KB, 640x351
>>27755606
Vaping has a lot of terminology so I'll keep it simple.

The thing which you vape from is called an E-cigarette. Some people call them hookah pens/e-hookahs but these are buzz words that don't make sense. The e-cigarette has two basic parts.

The battery: Most E-Cig batteries can be charged in the same way you charge a phone. They run, on average, at about 4-7 volts and from anywhere between 10 and 200 watts. The smaller, circular batteries run at very low power, this means the vapour is cool and there is less of it (meaning the vape is less dense). These are the cheapest batteries you can buy known as "Egos". Some more expensive batteries have higher power ratings (mine is 60w, most egos run at 7-10w), which means the vapour is hotter and more dense. These batteries also tend to have power buttons which let you change the wattage of the battery at any given moment. This lets you change the temperature and the amount of vapour that your cig produces. Some flavours thrive at higher temperatures, meaning you need more power, some taste better at lower temperatures, meaning less power. The battery that I use now is what I would consider 'high end' and cost me 40 pounds

The Tank: The tank is where you pour the e-liquid in. It is held in a pyrex tube and funelled slowly down into a 'coil'. The coil is comprised of a ring of metal and some cotton and/or silicone. The cotton soaks up the eliquid, and then when you fire up the battery, the ring of metal becomes very hot. This causes the liquid on the cotton to boil and evaporate very quickly, at which point it can be inhaled. There are many different types of tank/coil. You can even build your own using metal wire if you want
>>
>>27751849
just vape if your concern is cancer

dont give a fuck about nonsayers vape its good as a nicotine delivery
>>
>>27755851
Nice, I saw a scichow vid on vaping, so I heard about some of the components before. Keep going, I'm gonna grab a bite to eat
>>
File: 1452796134117.gif (327 KB, 834x870) Image search: [Google]
1452796134117.gif
327 KB, 834x870
>>27755606
Juice is made from two chemicals: vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol. They sound scary, but as far as we know they're totally safe. They're referred to by the acronyms "VG" and "PG". "VG" is very sweet and very sticky, like maple syrup. "PG" is more like water, and has a strong, chemical taste. People who are used to smoking cigarettes like more PG in their juice because it's harsher and is similar to smoking. Since PG is runnier, it's also less likely to clog up the coil with gunk, so those who don't like maintenance also favour it.

VG is very flavourful and makes for very dense vapour. High VG liquids (liquids with more than 70% VG) create large white clouds, whereas high PG liquids create fainter, wisp like clouds. Most flavourings are also PG based. This means that if you are smoking 100% VG juice, you are smoking 'VG flavour'. If you are smoking strawberry flavour juice, then the strawberry flavour is mixed with the PG, not the VG (which is added later to make the juice thick)
>>
File: RandyPan_220w.jpg (18 KB, 220x329) Image search: [Google]
RandyPan_220w.jpg
18 KB, 220x329
>mfw finding out the canadian government wont cover your costs if you get cancer and you have smoked for 5+ years

100k+ in costs per person saved, get wrecked boomers
>>
File: 1.jpg (58 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
58 KB, 1024x576
>>27755606
Nicotine is also mixed in with juice in milligram increments. You generally can't have more than 25mg (extremely strong) or less than 2mg (extremely weak) unless the juice is nicotine free. Most people who vape start with about 7-10mg of nicotine, and then wind their way down to 0mg. Since vaping is, in the long run, so cheap and not as abrasive as cigarette smoking, people have been known to "over-vape" high nicotine juices and end up with nicotine poisoning. Generally this just makes you feel like you're travel sick, worst case scenario you throw up
>>
>>27756035
>government wont cover your costs if you get cancer and you have smoked for 5+ years
How can they know that?
>>
>>27751849
The only cigarette brands that the FDA has found is 100% additive free are Winstons and Nat Sherman's.

Nat Sherman's use superior tobacco and are generally better tasting, but Winstons are also good too.
>>
>>27751849
All cigs are shit for you, but if you're so determined to smoke, try American spirits of something with no additives. Cancer but slightly less cancer
>>
>>27756055
Cool, how do you smoke a vape? Just suck it all in the blow it all out? I heard there's tricks you could do with the smoke, how does that work?
>>
>>27756335
You can do deep inhales into your lungs; the vapour isn't anywhere near as caustic as tobacco smoke. The reason you see people blowing billowing out vapour is because it's weak enough that humans can hold a lot of it in their lungs, as opposed to smoke which is too strong. I can't do tricks but they're similar to the ones people used to do with pipes. The famous one is "blowing O-s" where you blow rings of vapour out of your mouth, its done using the throat muscles, not sure exactly how
>>
>>27756397
Cool, thanks again for the information anon, it was really enlightening. I'm gonna go eat now, I didn't do that yet...
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.