[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Official /tv/ Refugee Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
Since over 75% of the threads are Star Wars related, let's discuss film here.

Some optional question to get started:

1. Who are your favourite directors?
2. What are some of your favourite films?
3. Do you ever have a difficult time staying attentive throughout a film?
4. Do you consult Wikipedia when you don't understand something, or do you do your best to make sense of it on your own?
>>
>>25161116
I just watched that, great film I love Tarkovsky. I think he is currently my favorite director I plan on watching Solaris either tonight or tomorrow.
>>
>1. Who are your favourite directors?
J. J. Abrams

>2. What are some of your favourite films?
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

>3. Do you ever have a difficult time staying attentive throughout a film?
Not as long as it has lightsabers and explosions.
>>
I only recently got into film, and I haven't seen too many films by any individual director, with the exception being Kubrick and Ozu, who's filmographys I've put a serious dent in. I'm not sure about Kubrick, but Ozu is definitely a director that I'd consider a favourite.

Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Late Autumn, Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Come and See, The Ascent, Goodfellas, Goldfinger, Rocky, Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Kanal, The Man Who Sleeps, Woman in the Dunes.

Occasionally, yes. I've taken to turning my phone's Wi-Fi off, or leaving it out of reach.

>4. Do you consult Wikipedia when you don't understand something, or do you do your best to make sense of it on your own?
Sometimes, like during a film with lots of characters, I'll pause it to find out who's related to who and how. Other times I'll seek clarification when something goes over my head. I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not, but sometimes I can only truly appreciate a film after reading it's article to clear things up and get some background info.
>>
File: Malick_swag.jpg (91 KB, 664x633) Image search: [Google]
Malick_swag.jpg
91 KB, 664x633
>>25161116
>Lynch, Malick, Refn

>Under The Skin, 2001, Lost Highway, Only God Forgives, The Tree of Life, Last Year in Marienbad, Persona

>Only if I don't care about the characters or the pace is mind numbingly slow. Sitting through the second half of Solaris started to get physically painful.

>I interpret it myself, then sometimes check IMDb message boards to see different view points.
>>
What's the film that made you interested in film as an art form?

2001 for me.
>>
Dan Holo sies ly Rylo Ken's bightsaber
>>
Bumpin nigggahs original comm
>>
Last great films I've watched, the "clouds" trilogy by Miko Naruse (Floating Clouds, Herringbone Clouds, Scattered Clouds) Anyone interested greatly written women characters (in a non feminist/SJW way but in a truly feminine way) and incredible actresses/actors should watch this.

Will watch Satantango by Bela Tarr (7h30) long this week. Currently finishing the book.
>>
>>25161921

Also, last almost-masterpiece I've seen in theaters was Sicario. Severely underrated. Conradian in every way. Not a blockbuster at all even though it was marketed this way.
>>
Just finished rewatching The Name of the Rose because I couldn't remember anything about it
>>
File: mother.jpg (121 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
mother.jpg
121 KB, 480x720

I don't ever think about it, there are probably some directors whose movies are always a hit with me but I don't even keep track desu.

>2 What are some of your favourite films?

Adaptation; American History X; Old Boy; Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring; The Lives Of Others; American Beauty; Have loads more but these were just the first ones that came to mind, for no particular reason.

Yeah, happening to me right now. Watching pic related. Just under an hour in (it's 2 hours long) and I've paused every 20 minutes to browse /r9k/

>4. Do you consult Wikipedia when you don't understand something, or do you do your best to make sense of it on your own?

If I'm that invested in a movie then I will re-watch it a few times and make my own sense of it. Then I'll check out peoples theories online.
>>
>>25161116
>1. I don't really have a favorite director. I just watch movies.

>2. Mad Max: Fury Road, Grandmas Boy, I also like capeshit movies.

>3. Nope.

>4. I just watch it, I don't try to over-analyze it.
>>
>>25161713
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
>>
>>25161500
shitposting immediately
it's /tv/ alright
>>
>>25161116
That close up of mosaics after the already good bell scene. Bueno
>>
File: 1367111617859.png (710 KB, 728x938) Image search: [Google]
1367111617859.png
710 KB, 728x938
>>25161116
Solondz, Wong Kar Wai
In the Mood for Love, 2046, Happiness, Dogville, Eyes Wide Shut
Sometimes
imdb message boards to confirm

Anyone else remember 2013 Ru/tv/gee threads?
>>
>>25161431
That's funny, I watched The Mirror tonight and am going to watch Solaris tomorrow.
>>
>>25161116
Mallick, Linklater, Lynch
Eternal Sunshine, The Matrix, Night of the Hunter
If the movie's not good, yeah
4. Do you consult Wikipedia when you don't understand something, or do you do your best to make sense of it on your own?
I work out my own feelings first, then jump on the forums and see what other people thought
>>
File: LEEEEAAAAANNNIIIING.jpg (56 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
LEEEEAAAAANNNIIIING.jpg
56 KB, 1280x800
>>25162843
>Night of the Hunter
Nice taste.
>>
Some things came up last month, which meant I had no extra money for the Criterion sale at B&N. Sad I missed it this year.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 456x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 456x323
Anyone else watch Utopia? I don't understand why it was cancelled, it's brilliant.
>>
Bumping this thread for the betterment of all.
>>
File: 1404910864167.jpg (89 KB, 408x447) Image search: [Google]
1404910864167.jpg
89 KB, 408x447
>Hey /tv/, I want to get into (Director) how do I do it?
Why don't people just watch the movies?
>>
i'm not from /tv/ because it's cancer, but i'll answer anyway

1. david lynch, alejandro jodorowsky, richard linklater, martin scorsese, dario argento (better than romero come at me bro)
2. suspiria, the good the bad and the ugly, once upon a time in the west, holy mountain, el topo, goodfellas, dark city
3. if the movie doesn't interest me, yes
4. no, wiki is just a synopsis of the movie. if i want to see an interpretation, i prefer to read what other people have said about the movie because it covers more viewpoints

>>25162843
i don't think i've ever seen anyone else consider linklater as one of their favorite directors before. nice
>>
>>25162843
also even though i'm surprised that you like linklater how can anyone prefer matrix over dark city? both are good movies and in general i prefer cyber punk themes over noir, but dark city is shits all over the matrix imo
>>
1 Kielowsky because my dad showed me his movies and watching his movies was bonding time with him, and because he's good
Kobayashi, kirsanoff, cody, tarr, grillet and resnoir, antonioni, haneke (some movies), bergman
2 A Short Film About Killing, Red Desert, Eden And After, Last Year At Marienbad, The Seventh Continent, The Inheritance (Karami-ai), American Torso, Elevator to the Gallows, The Spirit Of The Beehive (probably my fave right now), Alice In The Cities, Menace II Society, Through a Glass Darkly, American Torso just to name a few
3 No, maybe because i'm used to watching films
4 No, i do look for negative criticism about movies i like, just to see other people's interpretation of them
>>
>>25161713
>What's the film that made you interested in film as an art form?
the '62 version of The Manchurian Candidate
>>
>>25161713
Punch Drunk Love, don't even like it anymore
>>
File: dogtooth.jpg (250 KB, 837x350) Image search: [Google]
dogtooth.jpg
250 KB, 837x350
>1. Who are your favorite directors?
Ingmar Bergman, Terrence Malick, Federico Felleni, David Lynch, Scorsesse,
>2. What are some of your favorite films?
Seventh Seal, Taxi Driver, Blade Runner Dogtooth, Eraserhead, La Strada
Sometimes, I usually just put my phone and laptop away from me.
I usually give it a few days then look up online for discussions and speculation.

Any films you're excited to watch?
>>
>>25165718
not really, i'm just exited for the new twin peaks series. i love me some lynch and i thought twin peaks and the fan edit of the movie were his best works. one of the comfiest shows i've ever watched
>>
>>25165718
seventh seal is bergman's weakest works imo
>>
>>25165718
Interested to see Hail, Caesar and the trailer for The VVitch intrigues me
>>
>>25166499
Not him but I just adore the bleak medieval setting
>>
>>25166634
>le "bleak" meme
i want fags like you to leave conversations like these
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.