[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ohysics bachelor >first semester >experimental physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1436800646225.jpg (6 KB, 238x250) Image search: [Google]
1436800646225.jpg
6 KB, 238x250
>ohysics bachelor
>first semester
>experimental physics A, chemistry, and math
>fail all three of them
>>
File: 1429534509590.jpg (72 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1429534509590.jpg
72 KB, 709x765
And now, I can't even write properly.
Just fucking kill me.
>>
It's not a joke when people say if you don't know how to study you will fail.
>>
>>27059504
>be me
>CpE bachelor
>fail each semester for 4 years
JUST
>>
>physics bachelor
I think you mean business major.
>>
>>27059503
So, have much student debt did you accumulate this semester to find out you aren't a physics major?
>>
>>27059507
lim GPA->0 (stem major) = business degree
>>
>>27059503
better to realize you aren't cut out for it than tough it out for 4 years and be stuck at mc donalds for the rest of your life because of that shit gpa.

Sorry anon, not everyone is a feynman or a ramanujan or a wieschaus
>>
>>27059503
Assuming you legit tried, how does that even feel? Seriously, I'm asking about your feelings.
>>
File: IMAG0614.jpg (1 MB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0614.jpg
1 MB, 1840x3264
>>27059503
I HAD TO be away during my first semester so I could not write anything or even do the labs. And even I studied while away, OP. So why did you not study?
>>
>>27059512
Why is German engineering so based?

I wish I was German.
>>
Why would you even sit an exam you won't get at least 95% in? Your 3 hours would have been better spent. This is not a joke.

You will get nowhere if you aren't in the top 1-5% of your class. You are competing with 2 million Asians graduating every year with better foundational skills than you and a stronger desire to work for less play.

Just enjoy college, get drunk, make friends with lots of people. They will hook you up with a job. GPA fags need not apply.
>>
File: super_duper_angry_pepe.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
super_duper_angry_pepe.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
>>27059514
>Just enjoy college, get drunk, make friends with lots of people
IM SEEING RED
>>
>>27059514
>implying chinks and koreans have any critical thinking skills
loving every laugh
>>
>>27059513
Well, Merkel is keeping it a secret, but any German who does not fit the stiff description of perfection is put into camps and they call them Refugees.

Which for me, is quite ok.
>>
I never study at home, I just pay attention in class and that's it, and i fail all my semesters. Does it mean i'm dumb? I always thought i could not work and have good grades forever
>>
>>27059518

dude go and learn, it's not that hard. i failed as well in my first semester, not as poorly as you, but i did. if it was that easy, the degree would be worthless and a waste of time.
>>
>>27059519
>the degree would be worthless and a waste of time

Isn't it? I mean presently? All the info you get in college are available on the internet, with more detail
>>
>>27059520
the degree is NOT about you learning info. it's about getting to see the "patterns" and "ideas behind your field, which is very vague, hard as fuck to describe, and hard as fuck to teach.

I don't know much about the specifics in physics but in math this is called "mathematical maturity" and "good intuition". The more math you learn, the easier it is to learn more math, so content doesn't matter very much.
>>
>>27059521
You mean like having a global idea of the field your studying? Cus books make a better job at it than teachers too, at least books are impartial (meaning they're going to give you the whole idea, not select some and leave others)
>>
it's okay anon, it's okay.
Physics is one of the roughest majors
>>
>>27059503
>"math"
It always weirds me out what weird ass courses some other physics students get. Over here we just sit with the math students in courses like calc, complex analysis and linear algebra. It sounds like fucking horror to me getting some (presumably) dumb downed shit like "math". From all the natural sciences especially physics requires a solid mathematical knowledge.
>>
>>27059522
not rough ideas about the content. these ideas go beyond the content. it's very hard to explain, the gist of it is that they're intuitive notions that guide the development of a field, and it's things that "click" and let you know what to expect and what's the intent of things even when studying new content.

for example, a seasoned mathematician can read a completely new topic (new for him) and when reading the definitions, instantly have an idea of where the author is going with those objects, or when reading a lemma instantly understand what it's "about", the way it's supposed to be used, etc
>>
>>27059524
It always freaks me out when they force mathematicians anywhere to take classes with physicists. They made us take an ODE class with physicists and it was the most useless shit ever. Dumbed down applied crap.

That's probably, sadly, what your uni is doing, rather than the other way around.
>>
>>27059525
yeah i think i gotcha...
But i guess i'm too dumb or my teachers are too bad because i don't feel like having this kind of experience with them
>>
>>27059526
Fair enough. I can't really compare of course but I never felt things got dumbed down just because we sat there. Things stayed abstract a lot of the time and we were supposed to do proofs and shit like usual business. Occasionally the lecturer would point out some exercises that would be more interesting for physicist than mathematicians and vice versa.
>>
>>27059527
this is something that grows over time and you feel it coming to you unconsciously. it's not something that teachers can actively give you, I think.

all teachers can do is offer their perspectives and ideas about their topic, and give you experience by helping learning the topic. this, over time, helps things "click"
>>
>>27059528
that's nice. if you have the detailed syllabus (or can describe it) of the linear algebra class you took, I can tell you if it's engineering or math
>>
>ohysics
>>
>>27059530
There was no syllabus but the material was loosely based on Jänich if that's any help.
>>
>>27059532
seems like a fairly didactic book, tons of historical context. also:

>Since I had a mixed audience of mathematics and physics students, I tried
to give each group some special attention, which in the book results in certain
sections being marked· "for physicists" or "for mathematicians."

who would have said so? that's pretty nice!
did you cover the whole book? my linear algebra class (which was somewhat rushed towards the end) got to the Jordan Normal Form which is covered in chapter 11 of your book

either way, doesn't look like an engineering class. it's pleasantly surprising to see there's people out there writing books with an intended audience of phisicists+mathematicians, although this is most likely very impractical for higher classes.
>>
>>27059533
It was 2 semesters total and we covered pretty much the entire book save for some sections probably, including the Jordan Normal Form.

This was a couple of years ago though, linear algebra is a first year course, and back then I pretty much never touched a book, including Jänich, despite it being one of the few ones I own. Pretty bad habit.
>>
>>27059511
I tried really hard. No memeing here. I studied pretty hard.
The exams just caught me off guard somehow. I'm also too fucking nervous during an exam and fuck things up.

It feels fucking awful mate.
I don't know if you even know that feeling.
>>
>>27059512
huansohn jude
>>
>>27059535
>I tried really hard. No memeing here. I studied pretty hard.
>The exams just caught me off guard somehow.
Dude, you know you could just have a look at the exams from last year and see what you have to expect?
>>
>>27059537
There was only one. And I looked into it and had no problem with it.
But I don't really know. Our examn was quite different from it. Somehow it caught me offguard.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.