[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Theodore Kaczynski was right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 35
File: kaczynski.jpg (33 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
kaczynski.jpg
33 KB, 460x276
I disagree with the bombings or violence what he done.

But when you read his manifesto and for a moment forget that he are consider like a serial killer, you have to admit that he had many things right.

The society we have built for us is unnatural. It is the source of our mental disorders.
Yes, we have a great life comfort and long life but that does not make us satisfied. We are powerless against the bureaucracy we can not satisfy our basic instincts a lot of people think it's just a renunciation of modern technology, but the process of power was the most important part of his work.

Yes he had a very high IQ and was a little eccentric.But his future forecasts came true and I think you need to think if you want to wait until the other predictions fulfilled too
>>
I know friend. I've been trying to figure out how to get out of this system. I'll still have to wageslave for some land of my own. Property taxes where I'm looking come to around $100 a year which I can save no problem.
>>
File: 1454736920280.jpg (57 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
1454736920280.jpg
57 KB, 524x468
100% agree.

>tfw the world will never be the same to me after reading Industrial Society and Its Future
>>
>>26964258
Well he tried the same thing but he failed. He realize there are no any place to live without getting touch in society our society touch nature around you.
Thats was reason why he start writing his manifest and sending bombs to certain people.
>>
>>26964205
i read some of it and disagreed with some little part, but am 99% sure i agree with the gist of everything in it

wish i could remember what that part was
>>
File: 1438426177381.jpg (73 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1438426177381.jpg
73 KB, 360x270
>>26964205
>>26964258
He's a fucking moron.

1) The genie's out of the bottle and technology is not going away. Ever. Even assuming people went back to hunter-gatherer tribes for a fraction of a decade, they'd immediately be subjugated by the first people who decided to farm.

2) Thinking we should "stay the way we are just because" is unnatural and impossible. Do you think the first fish that crawled onto land should have stayed under water? Or the first multicellular organism should have stayed single-celled? Change is inevitable. Luddism isn't just stupid, it's impossible.
>>
>>26964205
We are a byproduct of nature therefor nothing we do is "unnatural" otherwise a bird making a nest would be considered as unnatural as everything we do. Our nature is to make flawed societies, that's just the animal that we are.
>>
Post book please
>>
>>26964287
he just started too late. we have the internet and probably a decade on him

i bet he was making it work, but just got bored
>>
>>26964322
>this idiot

a society that outsources the manufacture of fucking everything, from cars to cheeseburgers, is not sustainable

it isn't

>this system will always work
>the government and this country will always prosper
>>
It is true, in the past people were a little more grounded and ended up being polite. Now we are incredibly decadent and materialistic, if someone doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture they are treated like subhumans by most people, in the normy's mind, because they are different and can't amuse them that means they are bad people, it means they must be given inferior status in the pecking order. They are like animals, they don't think about where these feelings are coming from they just act on them.
>>
>>26964322
>He's a fucking moron.
and you're the fucking devil.

Single-cellular lifeforms are the dominant form of life on this earth, so that blows your whole "hurr change is inevitable" bullshit out of the water. You're not fucking smart or enlightened for supporting our suicide as a species.
>>
>>26964287
Quite a few people are able to make it work. Trying is still better than being stuck in toxic civilization IMO.
>>
>>26964322
Comparisons with evolution is simply demagoguery.In fact, modern civilization puts an evolutionary link to a position in which it does not live.

Transformation into today's positions according to him, occurred during the Industrial Revolution. Which caused extensive social changes and the rise of bureaucracy.

His work is based not on ideas but points out the problems, their source and their possible solutions. regardless of whether one likes it or not
>>
>>26964322
>luddism
please post where he displays this notion
>>
File: 79356985.jpg (264 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
79356985.jpg
264 KB, 1080x1920
TLDR of what he wrote and his ideas? or a link to his manifesto?
>>
File: 1436946099821.jpg (37 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
1436946099821.jpg
37 KB, 200x285
>>26964394
>>26964409
>bawww I got owned
Nothing you said refutes his points whatsoever. The guy built a shack in the woods and went nuts out of isolation. They "crazy hermit" is a stereotype for a reason.

>>26964419
>it's not true because <semantics>
Technological innovation is directly analogous to natural innovation. It's the same thing. Some species evolves some adaptation and if they're more fit, they wipe out another, ruthlessly. No mercy. Obliteration.

If you want to talk nature, laissez-faire capitalism is fucking nature to a fucking tee. The guy was just on the losing side and so bawwed.
>>
>>26964347
http://webpages.scu.edu/files/The%20Unabomber%20Manifesto.pdf
Here you go
>>
>>26964484
you are fucking dumb
>a resulting country whos vast majority population doesn't actually produce anything of value is sustainable
>b-b-but since it happened, that means it's natural, so it's ok

and it's going to fail, and that will be natural. why do you think this is some kind of revelation
>>
>>26964497
Thanks u

Origine
>>
>>26964484
In fact he was mentally stable.
He was investigated by psychologists for long time. His manifest get analyzed too. But there are just so little signs he can be just lunetic.

Actually his pseudo diagnosed are made just for the needs of society and FBI because how can intelligent educated professor sending bombs to the people based on rational decision. It is not possible for a society to accept
>>
>>26964205
Society is not all bad. Plentiful food, clean water, medicine, internet; life would be much, much worse without these things.
Also, our society did not spontaneously materialize. It evolved from people doing what was most comfortable and natural to them while still maintaining civility and community. It's no more unnatural than walking on two feet is.

I do agree that there is a lot of room for improvement, especially socially, but these things take time, and as a species we're practically infants. On the other hand, we are improving, slowly in some areas and faster in others with the aid of technology, so... why you gotta be so pessimistic, bro?
>>
>>26964322
always this same response from people who haven't read into the matter deeply
>>
>>26964532
Memeing isn't an argument.
You're too stupid to argue with. Sorry.

You want to believe the dumb man in the woods was onto something. He wasn't. That's why he's dead.

He was mentally unhinged and wrote a crazy rant. None of his ideas were feasible. He literally thought sending mailbombs to random people would sway society.

>>26964547
Nope, he was Manson-tier crazy to think any of his ideas would have worked. Stop being contrarian. Sometimes people are just crazy and stupid.

>>26964558
Another dumbfuck. You're stupid as bricks. You think your apestick that you're hunting with will face off against a longbow or machine gun? Lol. History would just repeat itself.

ITT: Fucking Idiots
>>
>>26964205
>Not reading the Archdruid Report
>>26964322
>Church of Progress

Keep chugging that Hopium.
>>
>>26964589
It's worked so far. Life today is so good you have to invent reasons to be miserable. If you really want to die at 25, just end yourself. You could even give yourself the caveman tooth infection for authenticity.
>>
>>26964573
>feasibility
>overgrown societal organizations are feasible
>societies dont collapse
your head is in your asshole

>implying mail bombs weren't just a nice 'fuck you'
>le 'i let mainstream television form my opinions' mindset

man i think even reddit is too out there for you, go back to facebook
>>
>>26964405
>They are like animals, they don't think about where these feelings are coming from they just act on them.
See when I was younger, I considered this to be something demeaning. 5 years ago I would be right here with you laughing at the animal-like normies. Now? I would give ANYTHING to be able to be like them. To be able to unsee all the things I've read here. To be able to unsee all the truths that ultimately just make me miserable.

We all laugh at beta providers, but do they not have a wife? A family even? Yes, they gave away some of their pride, but for that they're happy, even if just through delusion. There are many examples of this. So I would advice you to leave this place and don't come back. It might seem that you are uncovering the truth about how society, women, whatever works. And that's true. Lots of things posted here are very true. But that doesn't mean you should believe it, because ultimately it will make you miserable.

>Ignorance is a bliss.
You will come to understand, that there is no reason for this expression to have a demeaning undertone.
>>
>>26964608
>He hasn't read the Archdruid Report

Pleb.
>>
>>26964608
>poor people don't exist
>things dont ever get worse for anyone, statistics are worthless anyways
>things are fine because we are still better off than (arbitrary point in the past)
>my fortune is the only thing that matters

yeah that's a perfectly fine opinion, if it wasn't for the dumbshit hypocrite act of trying to convince other people who arent you

you dont think very hard about things, do you
>>
File: 1453755220360.jpg (86 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1453755220360.jpg
86 KB, 1000x1000
>there's people who really think there's anything bad about modern society
>there's people who don't own land and know basic survival skills like hunting, land navigation and how to garden their own crops

You could of talked out of your ass and say pic was right and how he shouldn't have used such methods he did but you're just a retard so I'll let it slide.
>>
>>26964573
>You're too stupid to argue with
>Another dumbfuck

>That's why he's dead.
Except he isn't. Fucking preaching idiot
>>
>>26964639
>>26964641
>>26964656
Fucking morons.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 268x188
>>26964639
http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-religion-of-progress.html

>>26964573
>>26964484
>Cultists
>>
>>26964621
nah

look at this guy, he's clearly miserable >>26964573

people like that all know there's something wrong and try to drown it out with whatever dumb shit he occupies his time with. i could try that too but choose not to. so could you

>>26964649
>just buy land :^)
just because we live in the best society doesnt mean it's perfect

>>26964676
wow what a good post :^)
>>
Still slightly misses the punchline
His manifesto has a much greater range and nobody telling you to go live in cave.
I do not say you must agree with it, just try to read and evaluate without bias.
Because I see how many of you who critize his work actually doenst read it because you making points what he mention in it.
>>
>>26964205
If only he had actually studied liberal arts instead of extrapolating off of what little he already knew he would have understood that the "myth of progress" is a well known modernist meme that is criticized heavily in post-modern circles. The man was gifted and highly intelligent, but was still quite ignorant.
>>
>>26964678
It's not a "religion" if it has tangible results, pleb.
>b-b-buh muh africa
>b-b-buh muh global warning and resource depletion
Oh fucking well, at least we tried. You have no fucking idea how awful life is without our techno-capitalist petroleum wonderland. It's a nightmare.

>>26964693
I'm happy as a clam and tired of bitter virgin males fucking up a good system. Just do your job and jerk off. There's nothing out there. Life can get so much worse than this. You have no fucking idea.
>>
>>26964649
McVeigh's outlook was quite different
>>
File: 1454207757637.jpg (8 KB, 248x250) Image search: [Google]
1454207757637.jpg
8 KB, 248x250
>>26964649
>get mad at federal government
>eschewed his constitutional right to petition the government for redress
>didn't run for office or even try in any way to change the way the government works
>instead blew up some random federal building and got himself arrested

McVeigh was a total faggot, like most directionless ex-military grunts who get suckered in to the whole "survivalist" meme.
>>
>>26964704
>Nightmare
It's only terrifying to people that know what they'd be leaving behind by reverting to it. From personal experience in third world shitholes(Even war torn ones), most people don't give that much of a shit because to them it's all they've known anyway and isn't some travesty.

It's our modern sense of entitlement and intense fear of mortality that drives all of our autismal fears and depression. When you don't have a bunch of fancy shit to lose, dieing at 30-40, spending your time out in the sun working on physical, yet mentally easy and unstressful tasks with your biggest concern being eating and getting laid, getting in a scuffle that gets you killed, or dieing of some common illness in a week all don't actually seem that terrible in perspective.
>>
File: image.jpg (716 KB, 1192x1241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
716 KB, 1192x1241
>>26964704
>He hasn't read the article
>Babby is trying to argue over something he hasn't read.
>>
>>26964704
>techno-capitalist petroleum wonderland
wow, great, instead of wood desks we have shitty cheap plastic ones now, where would i be without all this dumb shit from china. good thing we have landfills to throw away all this heavy old shit that just wont break

all the amenities we have do not require outsourcing all productive jobs

>just do your job :^)
>people will pick 20-something year old college drop outs instead of the disposable 18 year old beaner
>implying they wouldnt rather pick the beaner because the beaner doesnt expect a living wage and they dont want to have to watch a depressing thing like the 20 year old die
especially-fucking-not when your entire industry is built around pink collar bullshit

you dont belong here

get out of here

you have nothing in common with people who frequent this board
>>
>>26964755
>read the doomsday rantings of some nut
Have you experienced the Time Cube, friend?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2UCqL5qyo
>>
File: 1399093792007.jpg (16 KB, 346x305) Image search: [Google]
1399093792007.jpg
16 KB, 346x305
>>26964205
>he had the perfect plan
>an undetectable and unsuspected terrorist
>his brother snitches him

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>26964693
>people like that all know there's something wrong and try to drown it out with whatever dumb shit he occupies his time with. i could try that too but choose not to. so could you
Isn't that what everyone does? Just tries to drown it out? Honestly I feel better when I am occupied. Last two weeks I had almost no free time, since I got two jobs pretty much and study at the same time. I had no time to stop and I felt tired, I felt drained. But I wasn't nearly as miserable as I am after a free weekend spent shitposting here.

I really think that everyone just tries to occupy themselves and not think about these things. I don't know if this applies to you, but I've always been looking for an answer. Thinking there must be something profound that explains why some people(like normies) appear to have a good lives and achieve a lot, while others don't. Well now I think that there is no profound answer, nothing all-encompassing. Just occams razor. They try to make themselves occupied and through this, they're "happy". The simplest, dumbest answer. But the answer works. It obviously does.

On the other hand I would argue that the hardcore /r9k/ mindset of determinism, fatalism, focusing on things you can't change, misogyny, you name it. It might be true in my things, but the truth doesn't matter, because for most people it's no way to live life. It chips away at you and ultimately there is nothing left. That's my experience anyways. And I've been here for about 7 years now. Which is not an attempt to oldfag bragging, but I just think that /r9k/ mindset takes some time to really show, but when it does, you want to come back. Does anyone have a different experience?
>>
>>26964736
>mad at government because government doesnt play by the rules
>somehow playing by the rules will get shit done

are you one of these high school drop out neets i've been reading about?
>>
>>26964801
the answer is not difficult at all
>>
File: 1426534649035.jpg (6 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1426534649035.jpg
6 KB, 300x200
As always, no one in this thread can provide any argument aside from "it's unnatural, man!" and "muh depression" and "muh unsustainable."

There is no model for how a hunter-gatherer society could be sustained. They are invariably destroyed by organized agrarian societies.

Do you dumbshits even realize that the ancient Incans, Mayans, and other organized civilizations spontaneously emerged on every continent? This is just what we DO. We create technologies and organize into agrarian civilizations who then beat the shit out of everyone else.

This is human. This is what happens. Pull your head out of your nuthouse and stop reading garbage by literally crazy people.

This is my last post in this thread. If you have any sense you will see the reason in what I'm saying. If not, well, stay stupid, and I hope you're on the right list for the feds to haul you off before you go nuts.
>>
In normal society, we would have already been dead because we would have been weak.
Or should we have a family by which we should care based on our basic instinct
Either way, we would have been happier. Than now, deppresed young people in best time in their life browsing meme-site and being happy for all that medication and unhealthy food what we eat.
>>
>>26964838
>the fact that something doesnt work isn't an argument against it

>anti industrialist is the same as anti technology

go home

back to facebook

you will be happier, and we will be happier
>>
>clean water, easily accessible food and shelter with unlimited education resources are a bad thing, i should start killing people
Real mature teddy
>>
>>26964836
Is it the jews?

No, I seriously don't know. Maybe I'm just obtuse(but it's not at all intentional).
>>
>>26964803
>mad at government because government doesnt play by the rules
>somehow playing by the rules will get shit done

You can get the government to change the rules. That's the whole point. McVeigh was just too mad about his life being ultimately pointless and was not smart enough to come up with a way to actually solve the imaginary problem that he wanted to fix. Thus his master plan, which was just a random bombing of some unimportant federal building.
>>
>>26964838
So you place this above the truth?

It's more important to you if it is good for society than if it makes sense? Or do you use circular reasoning? It's good for society, therefore it's the best truth. But why is the best truth? Because it's good for society!
>>
>>26964861
shut up, david
>>
>>26964863
its part of it of course

it just is, this is how things work

societies collapse, thats just what happens. theres thousands of factors. ted's not the only one to notice it, he just got really mad and pissed people off

>>26964879
>government doesnt play by the rules
>just get the government to change the rules :^)
are you suggesting that the government officially legalize governmental mistakes?
>>
>>26964205
He was identified because he used a peculiar variation of a certain expression.

Instead of "have your cake, and eat it too", he would say "eat your cake, and have it too."

That idiom never made any fucking sense to me, but it does stated that way.

Literally the only thing he got right is also the reason he got caught. Even a broken clock is right once a day.
>>
You should read "The naked ape" by Desmond Morris if you're interested in this

Humans are nepotistic and tribal by nature and large scale societies, especially those which suppress our needs will ALWAYS crumble, no matter what.
>>
>>26964322
This has nothing to do with technology, only the structure of modern society.
>>
>naturalist fallacy: the philosophy

sure he'd backpedal real fast if he ever got malaria and needed le evil modern technology to stop his body frying his own brain from the fever

feel free to go live in the woods at any time if you dont like technology, there was a guy who did just that for years near me and he eventually gave up and is living in a retirement home now lmao
>>
>>26964205
his mainfesto is a ripoff of literal communist marcuse
>>
File: 1420634124040.jpg (27 KB, 468x376) Image search: [Google]
1420634124040.jpg
27 KB, 468x376
>>26964944
>the use of manufacturing industry to build a populace that cant do shit but consume = all of technology
>you need millions of accountants and cubicle cucks to fight malaria
>>
>>26964944
>you need to police the world to fight malaria
>you need to outsource all productive industries to fight malaria
>you need to buy shit you dont need from children overseas to fight malaria

everything that people complain about politically is a result of the problems teddy highlighted
>>
>>26964205
>Yes, we have a great life comfort and long life
no, your parents did. you aren't going to be able to afford it
>>
File: ted.jpg (93 KB, 645x516) Image search: [Google]
ted.jpg
93 KB, 645x516
>>26964205

Good thread op.

>I disagree with the bombings or violence what he done.

No other solution. Pacifism doesn't work.
The system use violence
>>
File: 1398783145954.gif (2 MB, 400x258) Image search: [Google]
1398783145954.gif
2 MB, 400x258
>a robot gets betrayed by his normie brother

>the robot gets life sentence and is going to die alone

>the normie brother gets rich and famous.
>>
>>26964621
The thing is you havr to use to the bad knowledge here as you advantage. You can also choose which knowledge would be beneficial for you. You can still be a provider without suffering like most beta. Find women who are childfree so you don't need to raise or provide too much for her.
>>
>>26965409
The thing is, I'm probably far too gone. I'm extremely bitter and hateful. I have random violent outbursts when I punch myself in the face and shout insults. I'm probably fucked up already to do this. I can't ignore the truths here anymore. I was just hoping maybe I could deter some of you from going down the same road I did.
>>
>>26965443
>I punch myself in the face and shout insults

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLEEEEEEEEEEEEEN IN MY SKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
>>
>>26965466
Whatever you say really. The calming feeling is great. And my jaw usually only hurts the second day.
>>
>>26964838
Incans and Mayans were farmers.
>>
Genuinely the strangest thing about him was his decision to kill people. If you read his correspondence with people outside of prison via mail, he is a highly intelligent, logical, rational person. There are literally university professors who teach entire courses on critical thinking that use his thought processes as examples because he is just that goddamn rational.

But I can't really understand why he made the decision to take lives. Some of the people he mailed his devices to were picked completely arbitrarily out of a library phonebook. You could argue that he only targeted people so his voice would be heard and his manifesto would be published in the newspapers but realistically he could have achieved that goal without actually hurting anyone.
>>
File: 1454011488243.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1454011488243.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
>ITT: mostly idiots who apparently do not realize that the Western world derives its abundance from raping literally BILLIONS of other people
You know how we bitch about the 1%, how they contribute nothing and own everything around us?
I've got news for you, pal. We are the 10%.

We're the house niggers cozy as fuck, always warm and indoors, surrounded with tech, while the 90% are out there struggling to get enough clean water and scraps to make it through tomorrow.
>>
>>26965719
Lmao
>being this naive

>realistically he could have achieved that goal without actually hurting anyone.

Could he?
How would he have distributed his manifesto? Where?
Do you think anyone would really consider a manifesto that ultimately amounts to saying we shouldn't improve as a species and develop our technology?

No, he needed publicity, only way to do that is to kill as an ordinary male.
>>
>As societies develop and become more technologically advanced people start to have children later in life
>People who have children later in life are much more likely to have autistic children
>Autistics are drawn to technology and science
And the cycle just keeps feeding back into itself. It is inescapable, we will become the Borg.
>>
>>26965779

Just gotten it published like a normal book?
>>
>>26965809
>americans
>buying and reading a book

HAH
>>
>>26965779
>No, he needed publicity, only way to do that is to kill as an ordinary male.
>ordinary male
>mathematical prodigy
>ordinary male
>>
>>26965809
I sincerely doubt any publisher would have accepted his book. It went against everything at the time, all the progress, technological developments, it was really the start of the new era.

Even if it was published, the book wouldn't be taken seriously, and it certainly wouldn't be seen by as many people as he would've wanted
>>
>>26965789
Well I don't think I'll be able to look at Borg the same way again.
>>
>>26965719
>He was an isolated guy
>He was brainwashed by le MK-Ultra boogeyman
>He grews bitter and rejected
>He isolates himself even more
>Years of isolation turns him into an autist on the loose

I can't really understand why he made the decision to take lives.
>>
File: 1445472102506.jpg (50 KB, 800x576) Image search: [Google]
1445472102506.jpg
50 KB, 800x576
Isn't such a strange fate.

To know how the story ends but not how to avert it?
>>
File: 1301102037406.png (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1301102037406.png
17 KB, 400x400
All mental disorders have been given explanations by evolutionary psychology for why they were advantageous in "ooga-booga me ride mammoth and wear fur pelt" times. And there are genetic factors involved in just about every one. It's an interesting argument though. Not sure how you could prove it. Domesticated animals live in artificial man-made environments without any problems, so I don't really think it makes a difference or that there is a "natural" way we should be living. Factory farmed animals are all fucked up, but that's just because they don't have enough room to move and they're bred to have ridiculous, unsustainable proportions.
>>
File: Kendric_feelz.jpg (756 KB, 2573x3000) Image search: [Google]
Kendric_feelz.jpg
756 KB, 2573x3000
So everything I read and watch says the United States from America owned the United States from China a whole huge amount of money.
I wonder...like...are they ever going to get that money back?? How?
>>
>>26964205

I communicated with Ted back in 2013, for awhile actually. He sent me some stuff that I didn't understand. Then he eventually stopped sending anything at all. Originally, I contacted him to ask about his involvement with this documentary called "The Net" but he said that he didn't agree with the director and didn't endorse the work. You should check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLqrVCi3l6E

Also, pic obviously related.
>>
His manifesto was spot on and decades ahead of its time. He was a true blue eccentric genius, just like Bobby Fischer.
>>
File: Ted-Kaczynski-578450-1-420.jpg (74 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
Ted-Kaczynski-578450-1-420.jpg
74 KB, 402x402
>>26966367
He also made it extremely clear that he only vouched for two published works that had anything to do with him or his life:

Technological Slavery: The collected writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski, a.k.a. "The Unabomber"
by Theodore J. Kaczynski and David Skrbina

and

The United States of America versus Theodore John Kaczynski: Ethics, Power and the Invention of the Unabomber by Michael Mello
>>
>>26966145
Here's the thing about that.

That debt you're talking about are "Treasury Bonds". Essentially every state in the world issues bonds as a way to pay for existing or future financial obligations. For the purpose of this post I'm just going to be talking about the US. The US Treasury issues Treasury Bonds as a way to finance their expenditures when taxation isn't sufficient or advisable. Treasury Bonds are sold on the open market for whomever wants to but them. Bonds are a financial instrument which are essentially an I.O.U. with a certain date of maturity that promises a return on investment + interest. Foreign countries, banks, corporations and even individuals can buy US debt as a investment or a financial instrument. The primary holder of US bonds are American companies, banks, and individuals (most US Gov't debt is owned by US entities).

China buys a lot of US Treasury Bonds as securities (that is to say, as a tradeable asset). The purpose of owning those bonds is so if the Gov't of China needs US dollars to finance something, they have a large pool of existing assets that are easily liquidated on the open market. For example, when China's stock markets were in turmoil last January, the Chinese Gov't liquidated (that is to say, sold them on the market for dollars) billions of those Treasury Bonds to finance an injection of stimulus into their markets to prop up share values.

Long story short, yes the US government had an obligation to pay off all the debt it issues (or else the value of its credit would become worthless). Yes China owns a substantial amount of those bonds (so does Japan, and almost every country owns SOME amount US debt), but China isn't buying them as some scheme to own the US, but as a kind of rainy day fund they can dip into to finance their own expenditures.
>>
Ted has good taste in Literature.

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad was one of his favorite books. Really great book, check it out if you have the chance.

>This act of madness or despair
>>
File: Ted_to_brother_1.jpg (278 KB, 904x1149) Image search: [Google]
Ted_to_brother_1.jpg
278 KB, 904x1149
>>26965299
I will post the letter Ted wrote to his brother after being placed in prison.

Ted was more concerned about freedom than technology. He viewed technology as a monopoly of the powerful who simply restrict the freedoms of the masses.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 594x162) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 594x162
>>26964322

Dubs checkd

Sir, I see you are connecting embrace of technology and genetic evolution

You are seeing the singularity, and are almost smug about it

I see it as inevitable in some way, but I find it a woeful out come in its own right, but aside from that, that would be when the genie is out of the bottle.
You see we hairless apes can efficiently farm, this causes some inequality, sure, but I wager that it is us retaining tge self that you do not see as valuable.

The irony of posting this philosophy from my multiple camera, GPS enabled, world synced smart phone to an anonymous Icelandic dog-breeding imageboard; I still see a bit of myself as an individual. Who has free will, and is sentient biologically. Dude.
>>
>>26964405

Projecting, our we?
>>
File: Ted_to_brother_2.jpg (266 KB, 904x1125) Image search: [Google]
Ted_to_brother_2.jpg
266 KB, 904x1125
>>26966620
The second part of the letter

2/3
>>
>>26966620
please continue friend
>>
File: Ted_to_brother_3.jpg (262 KB, 904x1147) Image search: [Google]
Ted_to_brother_3.jpg
262 KB, 904x1147
>>26966634
Ted describes life in prison worse than death to his brother.

3/3
>>
File: brother_to_ted_end.jpg (184 KB, 904x1135) Image search: [Google]
brother_to_ted_end.jpg
184 KB, 904x1135
>>26966654
and finally the reply from his brother to Ted.
>>
>>26966654
>y-you'll be sorry for this one d-day
What a faggot. I'm sure he made a good butt boy and got some cigs.
>>
>>26966673
Even technology is not as cruel as humans in the end.
>>
>>26966654
He probably is right. His younger brother probably did harbour resentment towards his more intelligent and successful brother.
Who wouldn't?

If your sibling, or even parent, committed a serious felony like murder, and you knew they did it, but no one else did, would you tell the police?

On one hand Ted in the letter is clearly avoiding the reality that he killed people. Anyone stopping him from doing so can't be blamed.
It's a strange situation.
>>
>>26966537
So this sounds not like the going into dept would make the USA depend on China or something, what is the catch?
>>
>>26966701
Yes, it is likely that his brother harboured jealousy at an earlier point, but we should also regard the situation of Ted who had committed social suicide and became a hermit. I doubt his brother envied his hermit brother who had retreated from his success.

>If your sibling, or even parent, committed a serious felony like murder, and you knew they did it, but no one else did, would you tell the police?

Yes, it is a very tough call and I honestly don't know how I would act.

>Anyone stopping him from doing so can't be blamed.

Agreed.
>>
>>26966666
QUINTS
U
I
N
T
S

originalcomment
>>
>>26965027

>implying you don't need authority to administer medicine

Oh yeah, it's REAL easy to quell an outbreak in a war zone
Say you think people oppressed want to get healthy, I think I agree, I mean it's a moot point.
But you think the oppressor/combatant wants a healthy populace?
A strong population?
Any challenge of power?

Peace grows out of the barrel of a gun.

Romans brought 'Merican brand freedom and developed half the fucking world.
>>
>But some day the veil willl fall away and you will see yourself as you really are. And on that day you will go to hell, because, for you, seeing yourself as you really are will truly be hell.

Nice punchline, right into feellings.
>>
>>26966711
The catch is that bonds have interest (though modest) which means the more debt you issue, the more money the government has to spend servicing the interest on that debt.

Right now something like 7% of the entire yearly federal budget goes to paying the interest on the debt (around $230 billion dollars). The more debt you issue, the more expensive it is to service that interest and the less money the government has to pay for things like Education, infrastructure, research grants etc... etc....
>>
>>26966694

Humans can be cruel in special ways

A machine doesn't even hold the capacity to "care"
>>
>>26965774
>the 90% are out there struggling to get enough clean water and scraps to make it through tomorrow.
It's not 100% because we're raping them that they're poor. It's not like niggers in the Sierra Leone would have figured out how to get diamonds on their own.
>>
>>26966848
There is hardly a machine that is capable of anything close to a human. A machine is a tool to you and I. We are presently using this tool to talk to each other.

A hypothetical machine that is conscious is another beast, and one that could take any form, but it will most likely inherit our flaws.
>>
File: 1451305957187.jpg (28 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1451305957187.jpg
28 KB, 640x360
>>26966054
>they don't have enough room to move and they're bred to have ridiculous, unsustainable proportions.
Well, you are what you eat.
>>
>>26966367
>>26966460

tell us more? like what did you talk about
>>
File: D E V I L I S H.png (184 KB, 845x589) Image search: [Google]
D E V I L I S H.png
184 KB, 845x589
>>26966842
What's the solution?
Also, does thus China have a direct advantage over the USA though? I mean more than any other country has over that broke USA. Is there a direct gain? Is it the interest-how is it paid to whom?
>>
>>26966905
I'd have to dig the letter out and I don't feel like doing all of that right now. He just wanted to make sure that I knew he did not agree with the way his work was portrayed in the documentary called "The Net" and that it was actually a practical joke. It made it look as if he called the entire school of mathematics a sham. There are some screencaps of the parts of the doc. online somewhere. Or I may have some, I'll look through my stuff. And the rest of the things he talked about had to do with coral reefs and the climate and ecological impacts. I didn't understand what he wanted me to, so he stopped talking to me altogether (or the FBI made him cease communication). I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but anytime you attempt to communicate in any form with Ted Kaczynski, you are placed on a list for the remainder of your natural life. As is the same with a few other high-profile criminals incarcerated in Supermax.
>>
>>26966931
>What's the solution?

As long as you can service the debt and remain solvent issuing debt can be a useful tool to finance expenditures while avoiding the odium of raising taxes. Fiscal responsibility is the key. If debt is becoming too expensive, you issue less debt or raise taxes as an alternative to debt financing.

>Also, does thus China have a direct advantage over the USA though?

Here's the thing about owning debt. That debt becomes worthless if the creditor is unable to pay for it, pretty obvious right? Owning lots of US debt means that China has a financial stake in the economic health of the US. In fact, the reasons they buy them in the first place is because US Bonds are:
1.easily convertible to cash on the open market
and
2. because they're perceived as a very safe investment.

In theory they could become a bargaining chip by threatening a mass sell-off to undermine confidence in the bonds, but as long as the underlying health of the US economy is well enough to service those bonds there are always going to be buyers on the market looking for a safe investment. The real danger to the US is fiscal irresponsibility by the US itself. Not foreign countries buying up debt.

The interest is paid to whoever holds the bond.
>>
File: ted1.png (213 KB, 638x346) Image search: [Google]
ted1.png
213 KB, 638x346
>>26967083
Here we go. The words of Ted Kaczynski as used in the documentary "The Net" and eventually refuted and discredited by him personally because he claims they were used out of context. Remember, this guy is supposed to be one of the most intelligent and brightest mathematicians in the world.
>>
File: ted2.png (195 KB, 639x346) Image search: [Google]
ted2.png
195 KB, 639x346
>>26967356
I keep getting muted, wtf
>>
File: ted3.png (324 KB, 638x345) Image search: [Google]
ted3.png
324 KB, 638x345
>>26967372
maybe this will go out
>>
File: ted4.png (340 KB, 638x347) Image search: [Google]
ted4.png
340 KB, 638x347
>>26967379
second to last one
>>
File: ted5.png (298 KB, 635x345) Image search: [Google]
ted5.png
298 KB, 635x345
>>26967390
last one from the documentary
>>
>>26967403
wew lad. This is what happens when you study mathematics without any knowledge of its application in real life
>>
>>26964205
A friend once told me that my ideas lined up very much with what he laid out in his manifesto but I never got around to reading it. Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>26967403
Seems about right to me. That shit is completely meaningless in any real world sense.
>>
File: Unibomber-Ted.jpg (18 KB, 427x240) Image search: [Google]
Unibomber-Ted.jpg
18 KB, 427x240
>>26967428
see
>>26967356

>The words of Ted Kaczynski as used in the documentary "The Net"
>The words of Ted Kaczynski
>The words of Ted
>>
File: key_cosmos_numbers.png (54 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
key_cosmos_numbers.png
54 KB, 320x320
>>26967527
No, that's an inaccurate observance. There would not be an atomic bomb without the proper mathematical formulae. There would be no automobiles, air conditioners, televisions, skyscrapers, chemistry, in short there would be no modernity at all without pure mathematics.

The fine structure constant, the inverse of 137, must be calculated by the universe in order for anything to exist whatsoever. If there is a God, that God is a mathematician.
>>
>>26967428
no, it sounds like he was an intuitionist
>the theory that mathematical knowledge is based on intuition and mental construction, rejecting certain modes of reasoning and the notion of independent mathematical objects.
>>
>he says while using a computer
>>
>>26968022
Did you miss the guy saying up above that Ted personally told him in a letter that those quotes used in the film were used out of context, as they were originally a practical joke on April Fool's Day that he sent out to someone from Supermax.

>>26968042

Computers are not allowed for use by inmates in Supermax.
>>
>>26968071
I meant OP
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 289x780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 289x780
>>26965443

>I love attention: The Post
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.