[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do normies refuse to belive depression isn't real?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 11
File: com.png (166 KB, 525x295) Image search: [Google]
com.png
166 KB, 525x295
Why do normies refuse to belive depression isn't real?
>>
Are Scientologists trying to recruit here or something?

GTFO retard.
>>
Because they are extremely afraid of the idea that one's thoughts don't depend on themselves. Same reason they sophisticate existence of free will.
>>
>>25356573
it isnt?

(originallytytyty desu senpai
>>
File: 76hhfg.png (221 KB, 581x327) Image search: [Google]
76hhfg.png
221 KB, 581x327
Season 2 was shit.
>>
>>25356573
Because it's incredibly difficult to see and probably isn't scientifically real anyway.
>>
>>25356573
Because they hate to think that the world they put so much stock in might be very deeply flawed, and that the massive amounts of bad feels in circulation these days aren't caused by sporadic brain defects, but instead a reality that is inherently depressing to "normal" brains that haven't been deluded, distracted or conditioned into accepting the world as it is.
>>
>>25356592

Hint: when you need to add random gibberish to your post it's a sign that it's not worth posting.
>>
>>25356589
Hello normie

>>25356611
>probably isn't real
Despite all the well document scientific and medical papers claiming and giving proof that it is
>>
>>25356591
(Which is eventually rooted in laziness, hope that cheap 'just snap out of it' brand of motivation will do, and empathy, putting said motivation, 'you can do it! :) ', before cool discussion of feasibility ('...can you really though?').
>>
>>25356573
Because most people with mental illness use it in a way that "Nah i can't do anything anymore, my doc diagnosed me with autism/depression/schizophrenia etc". If mental illness was never labeled as a "real" thing in society, i guarantee more people would actually be trying to do something about how they feel, but instead they just group themselves together and wallow in pity
>>
>>25356623
>
you think?

tbvh senpai
>>
File: 56yhtfh.jpg (22 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
56yhtfh.jpg
22 KB, 300x450
>>25356627
>Despite all the well document scientific and medical papers claiming and giving proof that it is
Psychology is mostly guess-work anon.

>>25356640
This. Most people use mental illness as an excuse to give up and stop working in their flaws.
>>
>>25356573
depression isn't real you're just lazy
>>
>>25356664
>This. Most people use mental illness as an excuse to give up and stop working in their flaws.

This is approximately as true as the idea that online IQ tests are invalid.
>>
>>25356664
>as an excuse

You clearly have no idea what depression is. Fucking anime-posting normie.
>>
Clinical depression is rare. Mood depression is real but not an illness.

The real problem is that Normie's think people control their moods.
>>
>>25356678
But if the term "Mental illness" didn't exist, what would you say your problem was in life?
>>
>>25356720
>extraneous variables

There is no such thing as an 'external variable'. Either you relate your behaviour to variables, namely genes, environment and the brain, or you don't, and attribute it to 'yourself', in which case you are retarded.
>>
>>25356573
wtf is this actually from
>>
>>25356739
>your
>implying you have to suffer from a mental illness to defend it

And I'd probably call it "chronic sadness/apathy" or something.

>>25356720
Daily reminder that anyone who claims that "everything wrong with a person's life is always their fault" is a Failed Normalfag and not a real Robot.
You can't be a robot if you have a Darwinist "hurr survival of the fittest" idealogy in the modern age.
>>
File: 1451458186477.gif (981 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1451458186477.gif
981 KB, 250x250
>>25356678
I think I do anon. Did a lot of research on it when I was in high school.
Got diagnosed with it by Dr Goldberg and he put me on some medication that made me sleep through all my classes.

It's all complete bullshit. I'm the way I am and there is nothing wrong with that.
I don't need to hide behind some bullshit pseudo-science retarded psychological bullshit.

Whatever though. Go ahead and whine to everyone around you about how depressed you are and how special that makes you feel.
You're a cancerous attention-seeking faggot but Idgaf desu.
>>
Because they genuinely think everyone has it as easy as them, and they like believing they got their good life because they deserved it (and not because they won the genetic lottery, which is actually the case).

Entitlement, in other words.
>>
>>25356798
See my post above you idiot Waluigi-posting normie.
>>
>>25356780
Im actually curious, and this might not be as related to this thread but;
Do you believe that when we were pretty much living in caves, mental illness existed? If so, what would've happened to these people?

Would they reproduce? Would they be accepted into the group? Probably not and hence, they are weak and inferior.
>>
>>25356780
>everything wrong with a person's life is always their fault
>wrong
>fault
I don't believe that anything is wrong or that anybody is fault.
That way of thinking is for normalfags like you.
>>
>>25356750
environment shapes people more than we'd like to think
try talking to a feral child once and you'll understand
There's a reason why therapists always say to take responsibility of your issues, because it gives a belief of agency. If you truly believe your life is 'set' and 'fated' then you probably have a low chance of changing yourself to a more favorable position in life.
>>
>>25356573
Reminder that this place got infested with underage kids and you are still here
>>
>>25356858
>If you truly believe your life is 'set' and 'fated' then you probably have a low chance of changing yourself to a more favorable position in life.

That's nonsense. Plenty of motivated people reject free will completely.
>>
>>25356835
It's always existed but like you said people with debilitating depression probably just died off. Although the kind of depression that develops instead of just being "there" is a first world illness.

>>25356837
You literally used the words blame and sub-par you fucking idiot. You were implying that all the "blame" for an anon's "sub-par" life is on themselves.
>>
>>25356811
Yeah I see it. It's wrong as usual.
Losing the genetic lottery didn't make you a fat, depressed NEET.
That's all on you.

>>25356882
They are probably just really stupid.
>>
>>25356629
There is no free will is a fallacy, expressing your points in questions doesn't make them right
>>
It's just a meme to normies... If they're feeling sad, they'll just say their depressed to get attention on Social Media... Undermining people with actual depression to the point the term is considered "attention whoring", rather than an actual illness..
>>
>>25356894
Why are you making things up you gay shitlord?
Holy fuck you're an idiot.
>>
>>25356896
>didn't make you a fat, depressed NEET

Again, see my post above. If you can't read because you flunked second grade English class to be a Normie that doesn't say anything about me.
>>
>>25356912
I can't make up things that you posted on this very board, anon.
>>
>>25356682
You have more control over your moods than you believe. You are ill by definition, your brain is malfunctioning. Why would you believe you could possibly know more than a person with a working brain?
>>
>>25356916
>Normie
I love how idiots like you will just throw this word around whenever it suits you, no matter how false or irrelevant it is.
Do you browse /pol/? I think you do.
>>
>>25356800
This is also a fallacy. Proove right now that everyone and everything depends on genetics
>>
File: 1449638205054.jpg (17 KB, 285x279) Image search: [Google]
1449638205054.jpg
17 KB, 285x279
>>25356682
>I am a cuck to my moods
>I am basically a woman
Fucking pathetic senpai.
>>
>>25356739
Before the term fracture existed, and there was no way to look inside someones body, did that make fractured bones a myth, they simply didn't exist?

There are plenty of studies by biologists, bio chemists, that show brain structures are changed for people with mental illnesses, they have different brain chemistry when posed similar questions or shown same images.

Stop being an edgy 15 year old and get back to /b/ norman
>>
>>25356894
I think its just that its so accepted in society, that no-one actually are knows what its actually like anymore. Nearly every person in their life will experience "depression" usually at a point in their life that requires change, or a lot of stress is present. The people that cannot mature out of this become the people who actually do have something wrong with them. I also don't like how there is so much positive reinforcement of such people when its outright not true, and only serves to boost self-esteem
>You can achieve anything in life
>You deserver to be happy and we will support you
>You will get there eventually
All of that is bullshit, no-one believes that, mental illness or not. Let the weak people suffer, thats evolution
>>
>>25356961
While we're at it, somebody else prove that God created the universe.
>>
>>25356981
>replying with more fallacy and moving the goalpost
>>
>>25356973
But what would've happened to these people? they died out. Just like everyone that is weak and not good enough should also be wiped out aka 99% of the population. Leave the best to reproduce and thrive
>>
>>25356981
I'm not attacking your beliefs I'm attacking your argument. You may aswell say that God is making you I'll, its an argument that doesn't stand
>>
>>25356977
>Let the weak people suffer, that's evolution

Ah, the good old "hurr evolution" excuse. We aren't living in an age where evolution matters one bit and frankly the people at the top who have "won" are doing everything in their power to fuck up everything irreversably. We're not living in the middle ages anymore, survival of the fittest is a shitty argument.

Oh, and
>It's so accepted in society
>every person in their life will experience "depression"
Shows that you have no idea what we're talking about. I'm not talking about sadness or grieving.
>>
>I'm not a virgin

>I've been in a relationship for 3 years

>I drink on occasion with my "normie" friends and have a flourishing social life

>My entire psyche is a lie

I force myself to hangout with people and have a social circle because i think i need it to survive

Inside i'm actually a suicidal depressed mess and I want to kill myself because I know the world will still be the same without my worthless existence

I. Fucking. hate. my. life.
>>
File: 1407361021294.png (34 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1407361021294.png
34 KB, 640x400
>>25356977
>Let the weak people suffer, thats evolution
Libertarians will defend this.
>>
>>25357006
100%
Fixed it for ya. No one deserves to live, we were forcefully brought into the world and depending on your family/upbringing you either had a nice life or a bad one. There is no choice, I didn't choose to enjoy video games more then sports, or pizza over salad, my brain chose it for me. Anyone who thinks any part of their life was their choice, and not a choice made by their brain based off of past experiences is a normo.

Life isn't worth living senpai, so i'm going to post on this colombian frog trading board until I can work up the courage to kill myself.
>>
>>25356973
>people with depression have their brain changed
Fair enough, that doesn't proove it can't be changed back tho
>>
File: 1451468120729.jpg (153 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451468120729.jpg
153 KB, 1280x720
Because they see depression as "having a bad day"
You tell them you're depressed and have suicidal tendencies, they'll just go "you're just having a bad day, get some sleep and you will wake up feeling great again"
>>
>>25357055
That's true, but in the same way a broken bone heals, expecting them to do pull ups with two broken arms is stupid.

For aslong as people think Mental Illness is some edgy get out of work card then people aren't given the help they deserve. And as with any other illness or injury, it needs time and support to heal.
>>
>>25357050
Depression isn't an identity, its an illness. You may aswell don't want to go outside because you are afraid of oranges. Illness gets treated. You can fix depression the same way as you can fix fever
>>
>>25357054
Proove you had no choice or shut up
>>
>>25356573
Because there is absolutely no evidence that anything is physically or neurologically wrong. Naming your shitty life/attitude/achievements 'depression' as way of externalizing blame is a behavioral condition, not a medical one.
>>
>>25357049
>>25357051
>>25357054
If it really adds any weight to what i'm saying, i was encouraged to go on meds when i was 12 for anxiety, but i persistently said that mental illness is silly and i was also backed by my parents on this. Im a 20 yr old NEET now, but i still stand behind what i said. Iv'e never understood people who talk so much about their illness online. The type of stuff like "Oh yeah ive been severely depressed for years, tried to kill my self 5 times, being on a few antidepressants etc". Why is it such a commonality for these people to seek attention and validation that they aren't losers? everyones a fuckup loser who doesn't contribute anything overall, but they try to make it personally about themselves
>>
>>25357115
Prove you had choice or shut up
>>
Kind of ironic how people on /r9k/ are jumping at the chance to tell other people that they're looking for an excuse for their failure in life when they say they're depressed, seeing as all of you live in an eternal state of self pity because you're ugly, or socially awkward
>>
>>25357103
People who loose their hability to walk due to severe phisycal trauma get put in rehabilitation where they are forced to walk through the pain all the time
>>
>>25357129
I'm not defending that you have choice, I'm stating that you can't assume something you can't proove just because it's convinient
>>
>>25357120
this pretty much sums it up. tbqh
>>
>>25357143
That's all physical therapy. If you didn't push through the pain there would be no point.
>>
"Depression" is bullshit. Save your sob story for your mommy or the therapist mommy is paying to coddle you. The rest of the world sees through your con.
>>
>>25357126
It's similar to fembots, alot of people with mental illnesses just have to be that special snowflake because they were diagnosed with anxiety/autism. It's probably because they want to try and fit in by being different, this is r9k at the end of the day.

>>25357143
They are usually supported by physios, loved ones, or walking assistants, you don't grab a guy with two broken legs and tip him out of bed. It's a long and arduous process.
>Broken my coccyx
>Had to spend 11 days in a Wheelchair
>Probably know infinitely more about what you posted then you do

>>25357155
Yes I can, I just did, you can feel free to disagree or have a different point of view. But that doesn't stop me assuming something I can't prove because it's convenient. When I was 25 and bit of a loser, comic book nerd, you probably knew the type, I wondered where I had gone wrong. Why did I choose such a sad and lonely life, if given an actual choice I wouldn't have chosen it, yet here I am.
>>
>not having an anti-depression light
>>
>>25357155
I can't proove that there is free will but I can proove the need for the belief that there is free will, what I just said is true ethically. Scientifically tho it isn't because science is based on assumption so you have two theory's one where there is no free will and that's that. The other one where there is free will and there are thousands of probable solutions, tell me which one is worth researching
>>
>>25357232
>I can speak with ceranty about an uncertain matter
That's called belief
I don't care about your beliefs
>>
>>25356573
because its a neurochemical imbalance that can be fucking proven by science you basement dweller
>>
>>25357232
But how are you even supposed to tell who actually has a problem or not right now? If you looks at statistics for depression and anxiety, its very common, so i'm just wondering how much of this is composed of "special snowflakes". The rule i use is that the more someone talks about their mental illness, the more likely that they don't have it (a fair amount of r9k)
>>
It's easy to call bullshit on something when you've never had it, and when you have preconceived notion about every single person suffering from depression. But of course, this is the board of euphoric neckbeards, who want to belittle everyone else's issues in order to make their own problems feel valid.
>>
>>25356573
Because it isn't drama queen.
>>
>>25357270
How were you meant to tell who was faking injuries in the past before xrays/mris, the truth is you can't. And the problem with any illness is the degree you suffer it, I could gladly walk into a doctors office and say my pain is a 10, or a 1, and he has no clue to what reference it is. Is a dislocated knee a 9, is a migraine a 5. Who knows, until there is some way to realistically measure someone elses pain it's useless.

Either way, if you assume 50% fake, 50% real, how big a budget would you give mental health, enough to medicate 50%, 60? 100? Sure some people are getting free meds, but everyone is happier.

It's questions that are bigger than any of us, but interesting to think about at the least.
>>
>>25357270
I would say that everyone who claims to have depression actually experiences depression in some way. Depression is a board term and it can be experienced in many ways not just your own. Just look at the definition. If the pain lasts more than two weeks its depression
>>
>>25357267
If you came on r9k expecting peer reviewed facts over beliefs then you are in for a surprise my friend.
>>
>>25357324
I expect logic from every logic capable life form
>>
>>25357268
There is zero evidence of this. "depression" is a behavioral pattern, not a disease.
>>
>>25357324
And I know you know non of this is good for you
>>
>>25357341
I gave my logic, the problem is you can gladly think something is logical which others don't. There are people who genuinely believe the world is flat, and have semi logical reasons for it.
>>
>>25357348
There isn't but in order to treat it you must assume it's real
>>
>>25357309
Because you can't fake a broken leg. You can't fake cancer.

"Diseases" that can't be diagnosed are the realm of psychologists, academics, and con-men, not scientists.
>>
>>25357309
>>25357321
But don't you guys hate it when these people group together out of self pity and try to "1-up" each other for how useless they are in life? The people i respect the most are the people with some sort of mental illness that do not talk about it as much as some people on here do, and they don't use it to weigh down their entire life. I posted previously that people use this as a label and then they give up. "Oh, i have autism? well i'm kinda screwed with social situations so ill just play games at home and sleep".
>>
>>25357365
No, you didn't use logic. Not even once. You decided to blindly believe things that you can't possibly proove and that would only be OK if the end goal was practical or research, you instead do it out of convenience. Please discharge of any sense of rationale you are holding to
>>
>>25357321
>I would say that everyone who claims to have depression actually experiences depression in some way.

If it's all relative, it's not a disease! Jesus, you kids need to be dragged kicking and creaming for you pseudo-scientific self-defeating bullshit.

>I would say that everyone who claims to have cancer actually experiences cancer in some way.

Just utter horseshit.
>>
Saying depression isn't real, basically because you've never had it, and you say it can't be proven, is like saying that I have no emotions, because you can't scientifically prove that I feel happy, sad etc. and maybe you have no emotions, so you cannot conceive this idea.

Anyway you guys feel superior for not having beliefs on founded in science (Atheism for example) but believing that someone can't be depressed is still a belief that cannot be proven.
>>
>>25357368
lol, you're kidding right?
>>
>>25357396
Respect or not is sirrelevant. You can't cast judgement on someone for being ill. There is tho the people who think that their depression is an identity and that's toxic, you shouldn't cast judgement on them either but they sure as hell shouldn't have a space that encourages this kind of behavior
>>
>>25357420
Autism is relative, hence the "Autistic Spectrum". Is Autism real or is it just a conspiracy made by the Jewish Liberal Mafia to take away our freedoms and precious Darwinism?
>>
>>25357424
You're sad Anon, you're not sick.
>>
>>25356961
Not just genetics, environment, upbringing, a million things that aren't under our control. The point is that we can't choose who we are, so blaming someone for their depression, all the while enjoying the benefits of a healthy brain and normal childhood, is bullshit.
>>
>>25357454
Autism isn't real either.
>>
>>25357474
Then you're an idiot.
>>
>>25357459
>healthy brain

Bullshit. Fuck you people. Go talk to someone with a brain tumor and tell them about your made up disease.
>>
>>25357420
I just don't see any reason why someone would benefit from lying about it. And it's something that so many people experience and so easy to fall into
>>
>>25357457
That's not an argument. You're just saying "Depression isn't real" again, you might as well have not even replied to my comment specifically.
>>
>>25357484
Psychology isn't a real science Anon.
>>
>>25357510
All those autistic kids are just faking it then. Thanks for the insight, Cartman.
>>
>>25357506
>>25357457
Also the fact that you assume depression just equates to feeling sad shows your lack of knowledge in that area.
>>
>>25357506
>Saying depression isn't real, basically because you've never had it, and you say it can't be proven, is like saying that I have no emotions, because you can't scientifically prove that I feel happy, sad etc.

Ok. I'm an otherkin Anon. I'm actually a dragon. Just because you don't have it, and it can't be diagnosed, doesn't mean it's not real right?
>>
>be 25 year old NEET hermit robot
>still not depressed
>>
>>25357534
Yeah and personality disorders are 100% real as well, right? Or is it they just make up something to fill in the gaps that the usual "depression/anxiety/autism" doesn't fill? In a certain period of time, there will be either more or less disorders on the DSM. Hence psychology is a meme
>>
>>25357493
Do you know what serotonin is? Oxytocin? Do you understand that statistically, some people's brains will give them more, and some less? And that this affects the person's entire personality? That these chemicals can make someone's life heaven or hell, and anywhere in between?

You have to be a through-and-through normie to say that all brains are the fucking same unless you have a giant tumor hanging our your ear.
>>
>>25357556
I can't work. I need disability. It's my undiagnosable Fibro. Just because you've never had it, and it can't be proven. Doesn't make it not real.
>>
>>25357575
What are you on about, anon? We're not talking about personality disorders, we're talking about Autism and Depression. Stop resorting to fallacies like that Otherkin idiot above.
>>
>>25357534
It used to be called poor parenting.
>>
>>25357556
Of course some people feel like they should have been born a dragon, that's why otherkin exist, I don't now where you're planning on taking this one. And clearly depression can be diagnosed... as it is every single day.
>>
>>25357623
>Autism = poor parenting

Jesus Christ /pol/ please just go.
>>
>>25357612
Im saying that mental illness changes over time to suit the current needs. Psychology creates more labels, and soon, nearly everyone will be able to have some sort of mental illness. Liberating, isn't it?
>>
>>25357647
If it was /pol/ it would have been blamed on vaccinations
>>
Depression, even if it can't be scientifically proven, is a disease. Why?

Because Depression, by nature, is self-destructive. Depression leads to suicide at worst and ruined lives at best. If you honestly believe that people doing that are doing it out of "attention" or something then you're wrong.
>>
am i the only autist who is high on life? all i ever do is listen to nigger music and i feel awesome while doing so.

been diagnosed with being on the spectrum since I'm 4 years old, had all the symptoms. my IQ is 140.
>>
>>25357583
More psychology. Some working theories, but no actual evidence. Sorry.
>>
>>25357670
>science and medicine changes over time
>somehow this means all science is not real

Someone with epilepsy three hundred years ago would be considered possessed by the devil. 100 years ago smoking was considered good for you.

There's bullshit in the psychology field like in every other field. But that has nothing to do with Autism or Depression.
>>
>>25357627
I'm just debunking your, if you've never had it, and it can be diagnosed, doesn't mean it's not real bullshit.
>>
>>25357647
Manboys love psychology. It keeps them in basements and tendies.
>>
>>25357694
stop this meme pls depression change all the chemicals in your fucking brain, there are MRI spettroscopy can fucking trace those changes, go study some med school faggot
>>
>>25357694
>Depression, even if it can't be scientifically proven, is a disease

Lol, we've achieved maximum huckster.
>>
>>25357736
How on Earth do you think you debunked anything I just said? I do think that otherkin feel like they're supposed to be wolves/fish/whatever, otherwise they wouldn't be prancing around like one, and it can be diagnosed "species dysphoria".
>>
>>25357787
>I do think that otherkin feel like they're supposed to be wolves/fish/whatever, otherwise they wouldn't be prancing around like one, and it can be diagnosed "species dysphoria".

lol, or maybe they're just socially awkward adolescents searching for an identity.
>>
>>25357768
Nigga go to actual school. You clearly don't know the meaning of the word "if".
>>
>>25357804
If you're going to be willingly close-minded in regards to everyone's feelings then you're really only cutting yourself off from some really intersting shit.
>>
>>25357752
Some truth to this.

When faced with the realization of being either a miserable social reject loser, or being the victim of an 'illness' beyond their control, which way do you think most people will lean?
>>
>>25357849
Yes, the 17 social reject with turquoise hair truly believes she is a cat. That's just good science.
>>
>>25357348
It can and it is, there are non invasive instrument too
>>25357768
>>
Depression is another muh special snowflake excuse to be different
>>
>>25357878
English nigga
>>
>>25357875
If you can't even consider the fact that people feel things differently from you then there's no teaching you. Your comparison was bogus, you haven't debunked anything at all, and only shown yourself to be another euphoric "skeptic" and you people accuse depressed people of being special snowflakes..
>>
Autisim spectrum. Broken arm spectrum. Cancer spectrum. Multiple sclerosis spectrum.

Lol, autism.

Psychology has done so much more damage than good.
>>
>>25357934
Who cares aboutt people's feeling? I'm interested in things that can hold up over and against the scientific method.
>>
>>25357962
If the autism spectrum ranges from very mild--> severely autistic, doesn't that mean that most people are fucked?
>>
>>25357985
So your argument against depression is that "who even cares about feelings". No wonder you guys are so fucking awkward, you're too busy masturbating to microbes.
>>
File: nope.png (171 KB, 600x323) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
171 KB, 600x323
>mfw "normie" has come to describe "anything i disagree with or dont like"
>>
>>25357768
Maybe it's not depression that changes the chemicals but depression related behaivours such as trying to sleep all day. Who was these study's done on?
>>
>>25358033
It's not about feelings tho its about symptoms
>>
>>25358033
Feelings aren't a medical condition. Sorry. Grow up.
>>
>>25358089
What? Try harder to make sense
>>
>Diabetes isn't real because it's just feeling hungry
>Just stop being a crybaby and produce insulin bro XD
>>
>>25358133
Diabetes eventually kills you in the end.

Depression just makes you post black and white pictures on Tumblr and whine about life.
>>
>>25358130
If an illness has symptoms and these form patterns that are similar to other peoples patters it can't be ignored
>>
>>25358115
>Being this stupid
>Current year
>Next year in under 40 hours
>Still being this stupid
Come on familia, high schools nearly over, grow up
>>
>>25358115
Except that feelings are heavily involved in mental illness, feeling very manic, then feeling sad and depressed is Bipolar for example. Sorry, you're wrong.
>>
>>25358133
Diabetes can be diagnosed.
>>
>>25358164
no, depression literally has a negative effect on your body and can harm you
>>
>>25358164
>Depression just makes you post black and white pictures on Tumblr and whine about life.

And not work. That's always the most glaring symptom.
>>
>>25358195
Yeah that's because they allow it too and sit around being lazy all day.
>>
>>25358195
Or it could be depression related behaivours aswell
>>
Fucking stupid dyslexic people, we see through your excuses, just get good at spelling you pussies
>>
>>25358213
Depression doesn't make you do anything tho. Does the cold prevent you from going out in a winter day? No it just makes it painful
>>
>>25358175
Are you arguing against or for the existence of depression then?
>>
>>25358180
Sure thing champ.. Break out another meme. But retard, just because some confused teenager says they are really a fish, doesn't make that a valid medical condition. Regardless of their 'feelings'.
>>
I've never had depression before, but I can't see why people think it isn't real. Any part of your body can malfunction, the brain isn't somehow magically immune to this.
>>
>>25358195
bwhahahahahah

Sitting on your fat ass all day and shoving hot pockets into your gullet has a negative effect on your body.

'Depression' doesn't do shit.

You people can't be this ignorant. It's impossible.
>>
>>25358253
I'm arguing both that it must be real even tho we don't know ig its an illness or what real effect does it have on your body and that we must assume it's an illness in order to treat it even tho that may not be the case
>>
>>25358184
More psychology. Not science.
>>
>>25356798
>>>25356678
you fucking retard,try feeling like you're trapped in living hell and not even feeling a 'self' anymore,then come back at me
>>
>>25358250
Depression isn't real senpai.
>>
>>25358276
>Any part of your body can malfunction,
And it can be diagnosed, and treated, with provable results.
>>
>>25358305
Current theory is that it's either caused by chemicals or your own behaivours so each are as likely to be real
>>
>>25358334
Depression can be diagnosed, treated and have probable results
>>
>>25358305
The emotional plea. We're winding things up here.
>>
>>25358301
So you just don't believe in any mental illness?
>>
>>25358364
>probable results
feelings, nothing more than feelings....
>>
Reminder that depression is real and normies will never understand.
>>
>>25356573
>Why do normies refuse to belive depression isn't real?

Why do morons like you ask retarded questions?
>>
it would be really pleasant if every "depression isn't real" poster got to experience it, if only for a short period

maybe one day :)
>>
>either

But both are chemical related wtf do people really think there is anything in your body or mind that isnt about chenicals fuckin normies and laymen
>>
>>25358374
i don't understand,what kind of validation are you trying to get here?you're basically a piece of shit barking at other losers
>>
>>25358364
PROVABLE results nigga.
>>
>>25358396
Not really. Behaivours not feelings
>>
>>25358334
The brain is the most complex out of all the organs. It's no surprise it's the hardest to diagnose. Most disorders can be traced back to imbalances in neurotransmitters, which can be scanned for but is extremely expensive.

>>25358396
It's not just feelings alone. If someone feels better than their behavior will change.
>>
>>25358414
This is a place for logic not blind belief, if you claim something you must support it
>>
>>25358394
Most of what is called mental illness is behavior based. Some cases of actual neurological impairment.
>>
>>25358410
Or you know, some people who experience mental illness don't come to a board like this to complain about it and try to do something about it?
>>
>>25358420
A change of behaviour is a measurable result
>>
>>25358416
When you run out of facts, you turn to emotion. It's actually the opposite of science.
>>
>>25358475
I see a therapist weekly and I'm on SSRIs

they make me feel like garbage
>>
>>25358426
Still not a disease. I've been arguing that 'depression' is behavior based the whole time.
>>
>>25358494
SSRI aren't supposed to make you feel better, they are supposed to keep you alive. Good luck with the vegetative life you chose
>>
>>25358494
That wasn't meant to point at you entirely, im just tired of the people who don't even try because "Theres no point im just gonna sit down all day and do nothing". Good for you if you're doing something about it though
>>
>>25358493
don't avoid my question and don't talk under the guise of scientific knowledge,when you're a fucking dumbass and we both know it
>>
>>25358486
>I've been arguing that 'depression' is behavior based the whole time.
Again, I've been arguing that 'depression' is behavior based the whole time.
>>
>>25358533
>you chose
I don't really remember doing that
>>
>>25358523
I never said it was a disease, I just said it was real
>moving the goal post intesifys
>>
>>25358554
If you chose to take the first pill having full access to the internet then its your fault
>>
>>25358473
so basically you just pick and choose
>>
>>25358583
I literally don't know what else I can do
>>
>>25358548
What kind of validation am I trying to get? Lucidness. Reality. Truth.

How about you? Pity. Absolvement. Victimhood.
>>
>>25358533
>SSRI aren't supposed to make you feel better, they are supposed to keep you alive.

Bwhahahahahahahah....stop it, you're killing me.
>>
>>25358588
No. Physical evidence mang.
>>
>>25358622
You are killing yourself with your own choices
>surely big pharma will save me
>>
>>25358637
but as I said there is no physical evidence that I can feel sad or happy so do you believe in emotions?
>>
>>25358622
>suicide isn't real

What next?
>>
>>25358658
r9k: cucked by Pfizer.

b-but muh psychology.

absolvement
>>
>>25358658
I HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS
>>
>>25358673
emotions aren't a disease senpai.
>>
>>25358711
So? the logic behind you not believing in depression is that there is no physical evidence, so why should that logic not apply to emotions
>>
>>25358688
bwhahahaha....nigga pacemakers are keeping people alive. SSRI's are not.
>>
>>25358603
victimhood?do you think i fancy myself as some martyr?
have fun discovering truth from the comfort of your bedroom,edgelord
>>
>>25358696
You do, you can fight it on your own. I did, at this point suicide is better than your current life, I realized that and only after that I could get better, haven't taken any medication since
>>
>>25358733
Because psychology is immeasurable, and inherently subjective and therefore not science.
>>
>>25358735
>what is suicide

I don't know the exact statistics but suicide is the biggest killer of men aged 20-40. I'd say it's an issue.
>>
>>25358775
Can you measure a black hole?
>>
>>25358775
I feel like you're over complicating this. Your reason for not believing in depression is: there is no physical evidence (seriously correct me if I'm wrong, and what mental illness do you actually believe in) and there is no physical evidence for emotions, why do you believe in emotions then?
>>
>>25358793
Nigga, people kill themselves when they go broke sometimes. Doesn't mean the money is keeping them alive. I mean seriously? This has to be explained to you?
>>
>Depressed for years
>Diagnosed beginning of this year
>Spent the whole year in and out of therapy and on and off medication
>Therapy helped me stabilise out again after a trauma
>Meds did nothing but make me feel incredibly ill when I was starting/coming off them, tried 4 different types
>Gave up on meds
>Gave up on therapy because I physically can't make myself tell the truth about it because I'm so fucking ashamed and letting it out would mean tearing down the only defences that let me keep going
>A few friends have an idea about it because of shit I've said while wound up on cocktails of alcohol and drugs
>Refuse to use it as an excuse for any behaviour
>It's getting much worse as time goes on
>Spend every day in pain while maintaining whatever face the situation calls for
>Losing sight of the purpose behind any real world goals I've had to try pull myself through it
>Alternating between being incredibly angry and wanting to kill somebody and just wanting to kill myself
>Feel like I haven't slept all year
>Don't know how much longer I can hold out

/r9k/ is the only place I can vent comfortably. People say it gets better but I can't imagine any situation that would make it so. I can't live this way.
>>
>>25358836
Nigga, people kill themselves because they have suicidal thoughts. SSRIs keep those away. People killing themselves because they went broke don't have suicidal thoughts then?
>>
>>25358836
If someone kills himself for becoming broke then the money was keeping him alive
>>
>>25358844
Just be happy, bro :)

Psychology ain't real, it's all just your fault for being a lazy motherfucker. If I had a broken leg I'd call for an ambulance and get help instead of wallowing in self-pity.

So yeah nigga just be happy bro :P
>>
>>25358844
>people say it gets better
>but I can't see myself getting better
Everyone who had depression and got better thought this once
>>
>>25358844
And the best part of getting over depression is that you can't even remember what it felt like, its completely gone
>>
>>25358920
It may be a truth, but not one that can hold any weight.
>>
File: 1447654246412.png (91 KB, 288x292) Image search: [Google]
1447654246412.png
91 KB, 288x292
>>25358896
A broken leg is a physical injury with an exact specific procedure used to treat it

How do you treat depression beyond vague platitudes
>>
>>25358835
Agreed to a certain extent. I believe 'depression' is within the realm of psychology. I do not recognize psychology as an actual science or medicine. As I said before psychology is immeasurable, incalculable, and inherently subjective. Thus it has become the playground for all sorts of charlatans, hucksters, and politicians. It is what it, but psychology isn't real science, and 'depression' isn't a disease.
>>
>>25358868
And yet people on SSRIs still kill themselves.
>>
>>25358952
Nigga I was being sarcastic.
>>
>>25358964
People on chemo still die of cancer. People on insulin still die of diabetes. What's your point?
>>
>>25358953
So you think depression is real, but you think it is an emotion, not a disease?
>>
>>25358988
I think 'depression' is an feeling or emotion born out of a self destructive pattern of behavior.
>>
It's so hard to figure out if someone is actually in pain from a brain issue in the first place. It's not like a bruise, or a cut, or an amputation, it's not something you can feel with your hands. Problems with the brain don't manifest and show until someone finally decides to put their pain into a physical form: self-mutilation, anorexia, addiction, suicide.

That's why so many people say "I didn't know they were suffering or I would have done something" when it comes to suicide. Because nobody can see just how scarred you are inside.
>>
>>25359035
Okay well that's not too implausible, you think it's real but you wouldn't call it a disease, and you don't think it can occur randomly/can be set off by trauma?
>>
Have you considered that some people just aren't good at life? That they really are losers,and nature doesn't mean for their genes to be carried on? And thus their depression isn't a problem, just an accurate assessment of their situation.
>>
>>25359111
that doesn't account for people leading successful lives who are depressed
>>
>>25357917
Try to read my quotes, then you will eventually understand
>>
>>25359092
Set off randomly? No. Like physical trauma? No.

Again, I think what is called depression is the aggregated effect of self-destructive behavior. Any why an individual chooses to engage is self destructive behavior, while examinable, is probably ultimately unknowable.
>>
>>25359235
Like a negative mindset, not wanting to go out and to stay at home? and by trauma I mean the loss of a loved one etc.
>>
>>25359235
also what do you think about depression and existential angst?
>>
>>25359140
Bu the people who live successful lives that are depressed are not "losers" in the eyes of other people. Some people are born failures and losers, through genetics and upbringing, these things can't be changed
>>
>>25359278
I think like literally. I think if you load your body with crap food, alcohol, drugs etc., that is going to have an effect on you. If your out of shape, that is going to have an effect on you. If you're arrogant, or precious, that is going to have an effect on you. Sloth instead of work. Blame instead of accountability. I think in some ways what is called 'depression' is just the body's way of telling you to alter your behavior.
>>
>>25359404
I think that's fair enough, not exactly my belief but that I can understand that
>>
>>25359451
but I can understand that *
>>
>>25359111
Then why did Robin Williams kill himself at like 60
>>
>>25359479
Robin Williams was a chronic drug abuser. Heavy cocaine use has consequences..
>>
>>25356573
Just snap out of it.
>>
>>25359479
But Robin Williams wasn't considered a "loser" and his genetics obviously weren't that bad? I think what that poster was saying is that there are people that are lazy, dumb, NEET, can't hold conversations etc that don't exactly have depression, but they just weren't cut out for life from the start
>>
>>25356598
thank you

origiinous commodous
>>
File: 1451171231378.jpg (27 KB, 510x498) Image search: [Google]
1451171231378.jpg
27 KB, 510x498
>This entire thread
Its like a scientific holocaust up in this bitch and the first casualty was logic followed swiftly by facts. You illiterate as niggers have got to read up on some nueroscience journals/articles before dismissing the existence of nuerotransmitter imbalances and other chemical anomolies within the brain.
>>
>>25359548
Professional success isn't the end all measure though. While he was certainly successful in that way, he had no discipline or self control. So how god where his genetics really?
>>
>>25359584

>muh academia
>muh soft science studies
>>
>>25359584
So we should refer back to the same parties who invented these 'diseases' in the first place? How wonderfully tautological.
>>
>>25359605
Well if he could get to the position he was at, in comparison to a lot of people here who can't even hold a conversation with someone, that sounds like he ended up quite well. What i meant earlier was that being depressed in life can be rational from what you deduce in the world and where you stand. Is a NEET that has no friends, no job, and no hope really "Mentally ill"? It would be impossible to be happy in that circumstance. Also sorry if i went off on a tangent cause i'm quite retarded myself
>>
>man kills himself
>hurr he wasn't sad he was just faking it. he just needed to think happy thoughts

terrible thread
>>
>>25359747
But people kill themselves if they lose their job, did these people have a serious problem or they just couldnt handle much emotionally?
>>
>>25359772
>if they lose their job
depends on their circumstances

>they just couldnt handle much emotionally
i'm smelling so much internet tough guy in this line it hurts but i'll go with it. why doesn't anyone realize the willpower it takes to kill yourself?
>>
>>25359695
>lot of people here who can't even hold a conversation with someone,
hystoronics.

Robin Williams didn't end up well, and was never well. He was a psychotic attention whore clown, who hated himself, took as many drugs as possible, and eventually hung himself. I don't know about you, bit that's what I'd call a loser.
>>
>>25359824
Couldn't you say that he ended up like that at his own accord after doing all the drugs he did? In that instance, he made a conscious choice, and it obviously was that bad one
>>
File: image.png (34 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
image.png
34 KB, 819x460
KV normie here, in my view, female depression doesn't exist. Male depression does.
>>
>be depressed since forever
>fall for the "mental diseases are just a meme" meme
>wake up at 10 am everyday to lift
>take quality supplements such as fish oil and vitamin d3
>get a top tier diet
>enroll in uni
>still depressed
Fuck all of you
>>
I think a lot of the problem is that "Depression" is a bad term for the disease, because it's not the same thing as "being depressed," even though sometimes its symptoms are very similar.
>>
Normies have to believe their world is fair in every way. If it isn't it would make their accomplishments seem less important.
>>
>>25360469
It's clearly still your fault. According to people here, if you aren't a damn vegetable then there is no excuse for anything bad happening in your life.
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.