[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best job for a robot? I'm tired of being broke.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 403x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 403x401
What is the best job for a robot?
I'm tired of being broke.
>Please God don't make this a neet vs wagie thread.
>We're all slaves in this world.
>>
FUCK WAGESLAVES
>>
Military or writing
>>
Just do what makes u happy. Just b urself.
>>
Sales rep

Original comment
>>
Overnight stocking.
You work graveyard shift restocking grocery store shelves, can have your ipod on the entire time, and barely speak to coworkers.
>>
>>25116423

Something IT or computing related so you can work remotely. You need to have talent to get to that level though.
>>
>>25116423
most night shift things
janitor
librarian
work at a gas station
factory worker
IT
truck driver
>>
>>25116542
Military? You must be shitting
>>
Idk. Freelance shit? Programming?
>>
A. Learn programming
pretty easy, pays well, you can be as autistic as you want
B. Were house/stock room shit.
Physically demanding, but no normies
C. Work from home shit
Mechanical Turk, filling out surveys and shit. Pay is shit, but no human interaction and you can stay home and bee yourself
>>
>>25116682
Yeah that's a pretty lame response. No offense anon but come on "Military or writing"
Being a writer would be great and its something I'm really good at but I don't see how people get a careers doing it. Like where do you even start
>>
>>25116709
Programming=pretty easy? Idk anon.
I breezed through HS without trying (like most robots) and, like, got a really high ACT.
But pre-calc fucking killed me. I got Ds all year. I'm not sure I'm capable of being a programmer
>>
>>25116786
There's very little math in programming, unless you're doing graphic or science applications. Most programming jobs are simple web dev stuff - html, CSS, and js
>>
>>25116607
This sounds like a good robot job for sure. I assume the pay is shit though right? Like 8-12 an hour
I'll probably get a overnight job like that but at the same time I want to be working towards one of those 40k+ a year big boy jobs
>>
>>25116423
Why can't you just play the piano for people? Haven't you had enough practice?
>>
>>25116829
I'll definitely do some research and probably check out a basic intro book to read
>>
>>25116871
>completely unprovoked
You sound miserable
>>
>security
if you like being alone, yet coming home
>police officer
you can shoot normies and no one will care
>truck driver
you never talk to normies and are away from your disgusting family that hates you

of course if you consider yourself better than that, you can always go with programming and creating business and all that shit
>>
late night security guard
>>
Just wait for the singularity and hope that the robot overlords are benevolent.
>>
>>25116660

>librarian

I always thought working in a library would be a nice, slow-paced, quiet job (I hate fast-paced work and find it pointless and stupid, there is no reason to rush to do everything).

>work at a gas station

Eggman!

>truck driver

I could see myself doing this, but I'm not the stereotypical robot.

Most guys on /r9k/ get anxious when they have to drive their mom's Japanese sedan so I doubt they could handle an 18-wheeler.

>factory worker

Most factories don't even allow you to switch up tasks to break up the monotony. You do one simple, mundane task for 30 years straight.

>>25116423

Night security.

You are basically a nightwatchman. You might have to tell some people that they're not supposed to be there and have to leave, but that's about it. In most regular unarmed night security jobs, if you actually see some shit happening or feel there is a threat you're not even supposed to confront people, you just radio for the cops.
>>
>>25116423
If you're good with computers and are willing to get certs, IT would be good.

Being truck driver is also good, but you need a CDL and you'll be owner-operator for awhile unless you can get on with some company. Long hours though and you're away from home for a long time.

For unskilled stuff
>night watchman/security guard
>graveyard shift at a gas station or similar
>night janitor
>dishwasher
>line cook/short order cook (some skill/previous experience required, but a lot of places will do on the job training and such), no interaction with normies though unless it's some high class, ritzy place
>stockroom/warehouse worker
>factory/packaging plant/assembly line worker
>graveyard shift/stocking at a 24hr grocery store or similar
>>
File: hackerman.jpg (247 KB, 671x359) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.jpg
247 KB, 671x359
>>25116423
Programming. Ideal hobby for a robot. Very much in-demand skillset. Can lead to a non-shit career that doesn't involve working in retail or McDonalds.

Shitloads of resources on how to learn.

Learn C# or Java and program yourself a virtual girlfriend as a learning exercise. Or learn Javascript+PHP/Python if you want to do web development.
>>
>>25116962

Samefag here.

>I hate fast-paced work and find it pointless and stupid

I should add a caveat to this, if you're an EMT or a fireman, then yeah, of course it should be fast paced. But it least it's stimulating, interesting and important.

I just don't think that there is any reason that construction workers, general blue collar laborers or warehouse workers should have to move really fast all the time.

What does it matter if the house gets finished by the 15th instead of the 10th of the month? The general contractor who sits in the air conditioning all day can wait. They have enough luxuries in life, tough shit if they have to wait an extra few days to profit off of another man's labor.
>>
/daytrader/
>>
>>25116542
>military
>for a shut-in robot
Worst advice possible. You're with other people 24/7 and have no privacy what-so-ever.
>>
>>25117075
Deadlines and more money to be made.
Ive been in charge of a 2million+ project and holy fuck, the amount of stress makes finishing on time or early that much more important.
>>
What about pilot?

Take make decent cash and spend their time behind a wheel. Similar to truck drivers.
>>
>>25116611

i'm not talented and i make $85k doing about 2 hours of work remotely a day. shit's comfy.
>>
I work as a Teacher's Aide. Really fun job if you aren't a pussy and don't let the kids bully you, because they try their hardest to fuck with you. I spend half my day staring at the tits and asses of naive teens. It's a government job so tons of benefits.
>>
>>25117095
/requires capital/
>>
>>25117136

Basic training isn't what the entire military life is like.

I have my own fucking room and get plenty of privacy.
>>
>>25117191
OP here
Anon I need you to tell me everything you can. I don't expect to make that much but what was your road into the career? University, community college, certs? Are you a network security guy or what? (I'm clueless)
>>
Start your own business. selling helium tanks and plastic bags to fellow robots
>>
>>25117198
Thank you anon but remember these are supposed to be for a socially anxious robot.

I'd end up in prison anyways.
>>
>>25117276
I would break the 4th crack commandment eventually but thanks anyways
>>
>>25117286
I learned how to fake it to survive.

>I'd end up in prison anyways.

Don't worry, the moment a cute one with mental issues goes for me I'll probably do it. Prison is NEET paradise anyway.
>>
>>25117253

honestly, nothing special. 4 year business degree (information systems). i'm a developer and have gotten a lot of experience with a lot of different languages and environments over the last 6 years or so. the thing is, they don't advertise "2 hours of remote work a day." they say "some remote work necessary," and you find out the rest when you get there.
>>
>>25117149

Well then you should provide some incentives other than "not getting fired" to the people who actually do the physical work. If you're just about the bottom line and nothing else, maybe you should find some hobbies or passions or anything other than money that gives you pleasure.

I've worked on construction crews building $10-20 million houses.

The GC (who was a very wealthy man who did no actual work) was demanding 6 day workweeks and shit (luckily I worked for a subcontractor who only worked every other Saturday and told me I didn't have to work Saturdays) yet couldn't even buy the guys pizza or coffee or anything.

Also (again, speaking in construction terms), deadlines are stupid, because no one properly accounts for random bullshit setbacks. The best way to bill a job is time and materials. I also worked on a construction crew where the GC was charging based on T&M and it was a totally different work environment.
>>
A job that doesn't require you to just do nothing, so no retail in small stores. A twelve hour at an active job in food service (mcdonalds even or like a deli) drags less than an eight hour shift in a really slow store at the mall for instance. Plus anybody can get a fast food job and it requires less human interaction than a lot of jobs will. Basically just stay active at your job and you won't need to drag your helium tank out of the closet from boredom when you get home. Overnight stock shifts also seem like a good option if you can adjust to the schedule, but I've never done one
>>
>>25117378

Do things still get done in a reasonable time frame if you don't have deadlines, though?

Honest question.
>>
>>25116423
I used to dig graves in high school
>>
>>25116962
Night security, OP Ive tried it and its bretty good
>only you in the whole place alone
>sleep while getting paid
>gunplay
>night walks
Just stay alert for niggers and burglars tho.
>>
>>25117556

That all depends on your crew and how you treat them.

If you have a crew full of junkies and morons, then yeah, they are probably going to take advantage.

If you have a crew that you treat like shit because you think you're better than them and that they are your underlings... then they will probably take advantage because they resent you.

If you treat your employees well and don't come off as a pompous asshole or someone who has weird romantic notions about work ("I'm proving myself and building America!"), then yes, things will still get finished in a reasonable time frame because the day still goes by faster when you are actually doing something vs. standing around doing nothing.
>>
>>25116996

Don't you need a license or whatever for any job that involves security?
>>
>>25117163

Like flying a plane? You expect it to be easy or something? I mean, it probably pays well but seriously dude.
>>
>>25117324

>Prison is NEET paradise anyway

What in the actual fuck gave you that idea?
>>
>>25117978
If you don't live in America or a third world shithole, of course.
>>
>>25117992

Yeah, I suppose. What makes American prisons so shitty anyway?
>>
>>25118005
They're run for profit.
>>
>>25118005
The mentality of punishment instead of reformation.
>>
daily reminder we're all fucked
>>
>>25118048

When did work start being about social skills instead of actual work
>>
My dad is a robot and he is a security guard. He has to walk around for 20 minutes every hour and can fuck off on his laptop for the other 40 minutes
>>
>>25118073
Since forever. We're social animals.

Also social skills can be learned. Unless you have legitimate, professionally diagnosed autism, then you're a faggot for pretending that learning to interact with people is beyond you.
>>
>>25118005
They're owned by the CCA (a corporation) so the conditions are terrible/low cost, they're understaffed so there's a lot of beatings and rape, and our justice system is completely fucked so a lot of people there have spent most of their lives there and a certain culture develops because of that.
Also, niggers
>>
>>25118403

Why is it called a "justice" system anyway? Isn't it all about The Law and shit? Since when did anyone in the American court give the tiniest fuck about justice?
>>
>>25118426
Right.
And the only way the CCA and judges and everyone makes big money is if the prisons stay full. It's absolutely fucked. I keyed a car door in June and now I'm a felon, might go to prison for a year and can't leave the country and I'll never get a good job and shit. Don't want to talk about it.
>Just waiting for the revolution so I can kill some of the Devils that run this place
>>
>>25118901
You don't need to wait for the revolution.
>>
>>25117880
Yeah, but literally, it's like an 8 hour class and the company usually pays for it too.

Being a security guard is basically
>walk around in sort-of-cool-but-not-really uniform
>tell people to fuck off if they're trespassing
>sometimes pepper spray people
>sometimes whack people with a baton (depends on which company you work for)
>sometimes take people down and cuff 'em until the cops arrive
>call the cops if shit gets too hairy
>write reports for incidents that happen

What you do and the equipment you're issued depends on which company you work for. I know of one company where I live where the guards are basically police minus the guns, bullet proof vests, batons, CS spray, cuffs, etc. I believe they even have the authority to issue tickets, citations, and detain people until the cops show up and take over.

There's even a company here that offers armed security guards, but I believe those guards are only stationed at banks, the federal building, the post office hub, city hall, the county courthouse, the AFB gates and maybe a handful of other high risk targets.
>>
>>25116423
Id say the best place for minimum wage is a dishwasher at a local diner. People are friendly and the work is simple. You can just zone out and grind at it, and you don't even need to talk to many people.
>>
File: smugwojak4v2.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
smugwojak4v2.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>25116423
This is my list of guesses: artist, writer, programmer, IT, musician, some combination of these.
>>
File: 1449872398820.jpg (74 KB, 500x711) Image search: [Google]
1449872398820.jpg
74 KB, 500x711
>>25117011
This pretty much

Just spend a year or two spending 5'ish hours learning all the major programing languages + fundamental concepts and how programing works. Brush up your mathematical abilities especially if you want to go into software development (don't worry, you don't need to be amazing at maths, just understand the logic behind numbers and notation).

That or you can go the gradecuckery route like me which is much more safe but is more expensive and takes longer
>>
>>25116709
Warehouse jobs are nothing but blue collar normies you will never fit in with

t. Guy that can only work in warehouses and hates it
>>
File: Sicario-8.jpg (32 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
Sicario-8.jpg
32 KB, 680x478
>>25116423
Soldier, specifically a tier 1 operator who gets recruited into the CIA
>Unlimited funding
>Whats ROE?
>Work alone if so please
>expendable asset
>no uniform
>kill lots of people
>commit rape and other atrocities-Government denies it
>>
>>25119304
Can I apply from out of town and be willing to relocate? Perhaps out of state? My town has no work of this kind, but night watch sounds like it would be perfect for me. I've only ever worked shitty McWagecuck jobs, so I don't know if a decent company would be willing to hire like that. Do you think an application from someone wanting to relocate would go over better if I paid for the class or cert myself before applying?
>>
>>25116423
IDK but I've been NEET for six years and I'm fucking tired of it, too. I just got my first job ever a few weeks ago. I'm a pizza delivery driver. Things have been 10x better than I expected. My manager and coworkers are all very laid back and friendly. They invite me to hang out with them after work and let me try weed for the first time when I told them I've never tried it. Even some of the customers offered weed, and out of about 120 deliveries I've only had three bad experiences, and that's because I got fucked over by the GPS because the customers live in apartment complexes or new housing on roads that might not be on the map. Oh yeah, my manager is nice enough to let me choose what days I want off.

In the first 56 hours, at minimum wage, I made $330, and $390 in tips after taxes, so a good $720 in a couple of weeks, and all I do is drive around being comfy in my car, listening to music, having limited interaction with coworkers and customers as most of the time is spent behind the wheel. No backbreaking work, no paperwork to fill out, no standing for four to eight hours straight every day. Another perk is getting free food every day, pizzas, chicken wings, cheese sticks, etc.

Of course, you'll need money to make money with this job. Fucking tuberculosis test cost me like $56, then I had to spend another $20 to get a driver abstract that showed I have a clean driving record - basically paying for a blank piece of paper. And yeah, if you're not unfortunate enough to own a car, RIP. Granted, I wouldn't recommend this job if you have anxiety while driving. I used to, but after about a year or two of driving, I adapted and it's been blissful since. Oh yeah, also wouldn't recommend if you have anxiety with using phones. I actually got over that pretty quickly when I started the job, but using the store's phones and taking orders is another thing which I'm starting to tackle. I still fucking hate using phones.
>>
>>25123116
With all that said, eggy really should consider a delivery job, assuming he doesn't live somewhere where he might get robbed and shot. Basically I'm making about $13/hour. I'm going to start working full time this week so can't wait for more of dem monies, whew.
>Tfw late reply to thread
Oh...
>>
>>25122039
I worked in a warehouse, most of the guys were actually pretty chill and non judgmental. Truck drivers (who you end up dealing with most of the time when you work in a warehouse) are either total bro-tier and nice to everybody or so autistic they cant even carry on a conversation properly.

A bunch of truckers at the shipping yard I was at played starcraft, dota, HOTS and other rts/moba type games and were really nice and welcomed me into their little vidya group readily. A few of them were really good too.
>>
>>25123161
And actually, come to think of it, a truck driver is a pretty good career for a robot. Especially a longhaul truck driver (city/local drivers usually have to do lots of deliveries and deal with people quite a bit). You need a class 1 license though, which is pretty expensive to get
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.