[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a thread about mental health and illness, as browsers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1429644999351[1].jpg (285 KB, 668x444) Image search: [Google]
1429644999351[1].jpg
285 KB, 668x444
This is a thread about mental health and illness, as browsers of this board need to be more aware of these topics.

It is worth noting that mental illnesses shouldn't be stigmatised, as anyone may suffer from one during their lifetime. Instead, mental illnesses should be perceived in the same manner as illnesses like influenza or urinary tract infections: contractable by anyone and treatable by medical professionals.

I hope that at least 1 person who sees this thread and thinks about these questions seeks medical attention and sees an improvement in their life because of it.

If you honestly answer yes to any of the following questions it is likely that you have a mental illness and should seek medical attention for treatment.

>have you ever felt that life is not worth living?
>have you ever felt like you wanted or deserved to die?
>do you feel like there is no hope for the future?
>have you ever thought about harming yourself? If so, how would you do it?
>have you ever come close to or actually harmed yourself? If so, how did you do it? What stopped you if you didn't do it?
>have you ever thought about ending your own life? If so, how would you do it?
>have you ever come close to or actually attempted to end your own life? If so, how did you do it? What stopped you from succeeding? Do you wish you had succeeded?
>have you ever thought about or actually harmed other people? If so, how would you/did you do it?
>do you ever hear voices that other people don't hear?
>do you feel unsafe in the world? If yes, why?
>>
>>24936509
OP your thread will fail for one reason, and one reason alone:
the majority of people on this board KNOW that they have a problem, but for many different reasons they choose to or are unable to get help. you are assuming that /r9k/, of all places, is ignorant about mental health issues when we are the most aware.
>>
>>24936993
I figure that a lot of people here have a problem and know it, I'm just hoping that someone realizes that there is something they can do about it
>>
Every single one of us is going to fail that depression screening, you know that.

We don't seek help because we're either too far gone or unable to get help for some reason.

We're a stupid bunch, but don't insult what little intelligence we have.
>>
Yes. Why does this point towards a mental issue?
Yes. Same question as above.
Mostly yes.
Besides committing suicide, no. I don't tolerate pain well.
>have you ever come close to or actually harmed yourself? If so, how did you do it? What stopped you if you didn't do it?
I've tried to jump in front of a train. I stopped out of fear or maybe because I'm not selfish enough to take away from my parents their son.
Already explained.
>have you ever come close to or actually attempted to end your own life? If so, how did you do it? What stopped you from succeeding? Do you wish you had succeeded?
Same as above.
>have you ever thought about or actually harmed other people? If so, how would you/did you do it?
No, I'm a submissive person, I'm the one who's harmed most of the time.
No.
Because nobody's trustworthy. Though that may just be my paranoid personality disorder speaking for itself.
>>
>>24937139
>Because nobody's trustworthy. Though that may just be my paranoid personality disorder speaking for itself.

it does not take that stretch of an imagination to entertain the thought that you cannot generalize the whole population, right?

i am not op, but thinking in absolutes and mass generalizations are only self-serving to prevent you from attempting real change to better your life. essentially you are telling yourself what is the point when i already know i will fail, people will hurt me, etc - but if you take a second to be mindful you know logically this cannot be true. i am not saying to act in complete opposite - you can still be paranoid if you believe it will help - but simply be aware that you are being paranoid and continue.
>>
>>24937139
The first two questions are asking about a passive death wish, a symptom often seen in depression, as is the the third question.

As for your answer to the last question, have you actually been diagnosed and treated for a paranoid personality disorder?
If so, and you are still feeling paranoid, your should see a doctor to have your treatment change before your condition worsens.
>>
>>24937348
I know I'm paranoid, that's why I don't trust anyone.

When your own parents have told you that you scare them, you know you've lost hope.
>>
>>24936509
fuck offfffffffff retarded do gooder normie with this "mental health can be treated" neene
>>
>>24937094
>We don't seek help because we're either too far gone or unable to get help for some reason.

You're not too far gone anon. Would you care to explain your situation?
>>
>>24937352
>As for your answer to the last question, have you actually been diagnosed and treated for a paranoid personality disorder?
Yes, and it has done jack for me. You reach a point where you can't tell paranoia and rationality apart, you reach a point where isolation becomes the norm.
>>
fucking normalfags get out of my quarantine reeee
>>
>>24936509
>tfw forgot to take meds yesterday
>get incredible angry/depressed/suicidal etc
>start fidgeting uncontrollably and near have a panic attack
>bf begs me to remember to take my meds this morning
feels like shit honestly. i feel like I'm not a real person unless i take a bunch of meds everyday and drug myself to sleep at night.
>>
>>24936509
>and treatable by medical professionals.

actually no
>>
File: _Barks_internally_.jpg (73 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
_Barks_internally_.jpg
73 KB, 524x468
>have you ever felt that life is not worth living
>implying it is
>>
>>24937373
OK, but you have to understand being paranoid is not a default setting. it is a state. please refer to what I posted above regarding on speaking in absolutes. You do not know everyone anon. Logically, your statement is false - be mindful of this!

I am sorry that your parents have told you that. They shouldn't of, but parents are not perfect. Can I ask why they told you that?
>>
>>24937410
Unless doctors actually told you that you are treatment resistant and said that there is nothing more they can do, there is still probably something that can be done.
Did you give your treatment ample time to make a difference or give up quickly when you didn't see an improvement. Medications and therapy take weeks to begin to kick in and still need to be adjusted after that.

>>24937437
Many mental illnesses at their core are just altered levels of chemistry in the brain, like how people with Parkinson's have a lack of dopamine.

If you were just anemia and needed to take some iron meds every day to correct it, would you think you weren't a real person?
It's the same thing, just that your medications act on chemicals in the brain instead of on haemoglobin in the blood
>>
>>24937488
logically you should get the fuck back to /r/suicidewatch and spout your feelgood garbage there
>>
>>24936509
yeah
yeah everyday
I'll be dead before the future is here
>have you ever thought about harming yourself? If so, how would you do it? yeah,
I cut my leg
yeah
yeah, haven't decided exactly how I want to do it I've tried taking a bunch of pills but they just made my chest hurt and I passed out, so probably just gonna hang myself
yeah I wish I did succeed
I never understood hearing voices, but I feel like at times I'm not in control of my mind and there's something else controlling it.
>>
>>24937554
wallowing in your own misery is simply self-sabotage. my mistake for assuming you had mental illness. you're simply weak.
>>
File: pepe33.jpg (161 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
pepe33.jpg
161 KB, 800x800
Every damned day.
I've attempted suicide twice, and spent time in the psych ward for it once.
There's never been much hope, just a fool's hope.
I would either try to hang myself or take a box cutter to my neck again.
I took a box cutter to my neck, stopped because the box cutter broke. I went to the emergency room afterwards and got locked up in psych for a week.
These questions are starting to feel redundant.
At the time I was deeply disappointed, now I'm not so sure.
Harming other people has never been in my mind. Its pointless. They're out there doing their best, why bother them?
Sometimes.
Most of the time. I'm deeply paranoid.
>>
>>24937589
Clearly you seemed depressed because of the answers to all the earlier questions.

>I never understood hearing voices, but I feel like at times I'm not in control of my mind and there's something else controlling it.

Can you elaborate on this?
Do you ever feel sensations like your heart beating or skin tingling that someone else is controlling?
Does someone make you feel things?
Does someone make you think things?
Does someone make you do things?
Do you feel like anyone can read your thoughts?
Do you feel like you can read other people's thoughts?
Do you feel like someone is putting thoughts into your head, or taking them out of your head?
>>
>>24937488
>I am sorry that your parents have told you that. They shouldn't of, but parents are not perfect. Can I ask why they told you that?
Because I barely speak, never go outside and am quick to get into verbal confrontations with them.

>>24937545
To be honest, getting diagnosed with PDD probably made me even worse. It made me even more paranoid that I'm not really a normal person and only made my suicidal thoughts grow larger. Was on meds and therapy for a few months, never did shit.
>>
>>24936993
Some people like me can answer yes to some of those questions but we just don't feel like we have it 'bad' enough to worry/care.

Sure, I think about killing myself but I'm not suicidal. I've hit myself and 'harmed' myself but I don't cut myself. I sometimes feel like life isn't worth living but then get overly anxious about potential dangers.

It's just a waste of my time to get myself checked out. If shit gets worse I will but right now there's no point.
>>
>>24937663
Are you on regular medical treatment or therapy?
If you are still feeling depressed and paranoid, as well as hearing voices, your treatment isn't adequate and you should tell someone about these symptoms.

Especially if some have appeared since you were in hospital
>>
>>24937617
lol lmao xd

kill yourself you fucking retarded normie, go proselytize elsewhere
>>
Most of the time
Same as above
All the time
Yes, cutting (only to attract fucked up women)
I cut myself with scissors once in frustration
Yes, alcohol, benzos and rope
I almost blacked out after tying a sock around my neck a few times. That's about it
Think about it almost everyday. I won't state my plans
No
Yes. People are scum
>>
>>24937718
I'm taking a cocktail of psychotropic drugs, they don't do much. I probably need a higher dosage.
>>
>>24937666
It feels like someone is just like in my head saying fuck you and controlling my thoughts at times.
>>
>>24938423
Sounds like you've got psychosis m8.
Thought control is a symptom of passivity and is seen in people experiencing psychotic episodes, which you get with conditions like schizophrenia.

Definitely worth seeing a professional and trying to get those thoughts under control.
It can't be to nice hearing and feeling that way
>>
>>24936509
guise my gf broke up with me last week and I literally haven't had sex in about 10 days, I think I am going crazy. I have become really depressed and contemplating suicide pls halp.
>>
>>24938604
maybe, I feel like I hate it because it makes me sad but I like the feeling of sadness. I have no idea why.
>>
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
Cut my arm
Yes exit bag
Not really
No
No
Not really scared of ww3 though

Life is okay
>>
>>24937488
>You do not know everyone anon. Logically, your statement is false

I don't think it's right or false. It's like claiming "no tiger is white", until you've seen one, you can't decide.

I'm not him but I've been spending three decades trying to find one man/woman trustworthy, failing hard and betrayed again and again.

Some Normie told me that it must be me who has a problem since it happens all the time. I found this explanation to be an easy way out. Certainly it couldn't be the other guys, no.

Those of you who've found a true bro, you should cherish this friendship, because it seems to be like unicorns these days.
>>
>>24937486

He's talking about feelings, Normies default state of mind is that their life is super-important and worth living. It has nothing to do with being correct, it's just how it is.
>>
Almost constantly for the last 3 years.

Yes. Both. Again almost constantly.

Absolutely. This has been going on for as long as I could remember, though. I didn't even apply for university even though I'm relatively smart and hard working. It was weird. I just never even consider a future for myself. It doesn't seem possible for anything good to happen in my life. I'm 23 now, and it's been the same shit. I went to university and got a mathematics degree, but I didn't go to grad school or get a job after words. I still can't see the future as at all capable of being positive.

No. This doesn't solve anything.

Yes. I've always wanted to kill myself during the Winter and during a massive snow storm. I'd go out to the woods and slit my wrist vertically down the arm. I think I'd enjoy fading out to the visions of snow and a feeling of embracing coldness.

I've driven out to a bridge before. I got out of my car and started walking along it. I didn't do it, though. It was too scary. Plus it'd be hurtful to others. I'd hate that. I just didn't want to be alive anymore.

No. Solves nothing.

No.

Extremely. The world comes off as an unsafe place that hates innocence and loves its own self inflicted pains.
>>
File: 1448382750858.jpg (115 KB, 800x504) Image search: [Google]
1448382750858.jpg
115 KB, 800x504
>>24939869
I feel like my life is "super important" for myself too, doesn't change the fact that it's not worth living in the end. I just wish we had suicide booths.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.