[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you faggots think death will be like? Never ending darkness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_ny5b0eSFmn1tnkdxuo1_500.jpg (64 KB, 421x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny5b0eSFmn1tnkdxuo1_500.jpg
64 KB, 421x750
What do you faggots think death will be like?

Never ending darkness?
Bong hits with Satan?
72 Virgins?
Dust?
>>
Sweet release
>>
I don't know like it was before birth I guess.
The only reason I haven't killed myself is because I'm scared of what happens after.
>>
this one guy in high school said he died for 10 minutes or so in the ER from overdose said he saw nothing just a black void.

I see a few outcomes

-the super computer simulation storing you as a variable renders you null or finished.

-you enter the energy based universe see able only to the dead and advanced aliens

-nothing

has to be better than living on this corrupt god forsaken planet with normies
>>
>>24729033
>he saw nothing just a black void

Obviously he was alive with his eyes closed.
>>
What it was like before you were born
>>
I hope that if hell is real (because that's where I'm going if it exists) that it's actually pretty great and that God only says its bad just to get more people to listen to him and follow him
>>
Nothing, for you. Your mind will decay in an instans, and everything - for you as an individual - is stopped.
>>
>>24728801
Looks like you already know the answer. Why would anything change just because you have lived? Just do it, and we'll see you again next time.
>>
>>24729066
the way he described it he didnt seem to experience anything at all is what I mean. Other than I guess seeing a black void.

He was noticeably upset about not seeing cool afterlife shit. I asked him many questions said he drank alot and smoked a bunch of weed I think something about a knife going into his chest after falling some shit.

I think we are so eager to find these answers making our own gods and stories.
>>
>>24728747
Bong hits sound cool.

>>24729033
I like the energy based idea, have thought of something like that myself.

>>24729151
I think sometimes that Hell is a place where you get what you wanted out of life that you didn't get, but it's not really as great as what you thought it would be.
>>
>>24728747
it'd be like falling asleep
forever
>>
All spiritual answers here are pure cowardice and fear. The reality is we know exactly what happens when you die. Your consciousness does not function and that's the end of it. You all know it's true but won't accept it, it really is absurd. Your robots god dammit, act like it.
>>
>>24729315
already posted a few times, Im certain we will not experience anything like on anon said not being born yet.

Just from a physics perspective I think of the energy being preserved. and other questions about the universe.

At least while im still on this shit hole theres a chance ill get laid. life sucks but at least I get to do what I want for now
>>
>>24729446
What do you mean the energy is preserved? You talking about heat death of the universe now?
>>
This question is fuckinh stupid

A: any kind of experience after death is incredibly, INCREDIBLY unlikely
B: if there is an experience after death, THERE WILL BE NO MEANS OF DESCRIBING IT IN TANGIBLE TERMS. Whatever spirit or presence we possess after death will have NONE OF OUR HUMAN SENSES, unless you assume that our spirit/etc is deliberately designed around our inefficient human form (or vice versa), which is just fucking philosophically and theologically imbecile.

So stop asking this moronic question. You will never get a satisfactory answer because there is either no answer, or because there is no means by which an answer could be given.
>>
>>24729315
No, you have no clue what happens, stop pretending like you do.
>>
>>24729523
>incredibly, INCREDIBLY unlikely
That makes no sense, how can you talk of death in terms of probability when nothing is known?
>>
File: 20151204_233311-1-1.jpg (81 KB, 738x150) Image search: [Google]
20151204_233311-1-1.jpg
81 KB, 738x150
I hope nothing
I'm doing it by the end of this year in the woods so i can be done with this hell
>>
>>24729526
Don't be a retard. If you remove someone's brainstem they don't ever wake up or think another thought. If you remove their parietal lobe they lose the ability to understand language. If you remove their frontal lobe they lose the ability to plan and reason. If you kill a man and his brain rots away to dust, his consciousness continued to think and feel? Tell me why you think these functions can continue to exist in the absence of their physical structure existing. This is like you believing a car can drive around after its been chopped up for scrap.
>>
You wait at a bus stop for 100 years, then a bus comes and takes you to another bus stop where the process repeats
>>
File: AsymptotesOneOverX_1000.gif (3 KB, 255x242) Image search: [Google]
AsymptotesOneOverX_1000.gif
3 KB, 255x242
I have this theory that it's like an asymptote on a graph.
You slowly approach zero over the course of infinity, just gradually slipping away..
>>
>>24729619
This is the wrong way of thinking about it imo, my consciousness is fundamental, the brain and its associated conscious states are a misdirection, it is the other way around.

This is why I feel like I control my brain, as opposed to it controlling me.
>>
>>24729645
but 0.999... = 1
>>
>>24729523

kek, first you go about saying something reasonable, then you act like you've got an authoritative scoop on how the unlikely experience would be. Too dumb to recofnize your own ignorance, get fucked
>>
>>24729315
>i know what happens after we die guys
theist detected
>>
>>24729699
It's not the wrong way of thinking about it, you're just ignorant (not trying to be mean just honest). How many stroke victims have you met? How many patients with penetrating head trauma causing these deficits? I bet not very many, but I have seen far too many. I work with these people every day, I see their struggles. The brain provides you the ability to think like your lungs provide the ability to breathe. Without the brain you are nothing. There hasn't been a debate on this topic for centuries, that's how far behind the curve your opinions are. Your literally hundreds of years behind our current knowledge, how does that feel? Honestly, you disappoint me because you sit here in ignorance when so much knowledge is at your fingertips. You could have spent today learning about neurology and walked away a more complete person, but instead you decided to waste an other day doing nothing but trying to convince others to be as dumb as you are.
>>
Remember the time before you were born?
>>
>>24729267
This. It will be like those times when you sleep without dreaming, only you won't wake up in the afternoon. It's not going to be some sublime experience or divine revelation.
>>
>>24729794
an admission of ignorance is wiser than an unverifiable claim. try fucking off.
>>
literally nothing

no darkness, just nothing

it's kind of cool to think a bout 'being' (lol) nothing
>>
>>24729794
It is true that the activity of the brain is exactly correlated with consciousness, but it is conscious perception where the brain is seen, it is internally consistent. A doctor may study the brain and manipulate it, at each step it is a conscious self working.

It's not ignorance, because I acknowledge everything you say in your anecdotes, its just that your attitude is wrong.
>>
File: 1448305040541.gif (73 KB, 600x563) Image search: [Google]
1448305040541.gif
73 KB, 600x563
>>24728747
>Bong hits with Satan?

I wouldn't mind this. Dude is actually known as Lucifer but also shares the moniker Prometheus and Enki in historical theologies.

That being said, he's into some deep shit so your weed might be inter-dimensional space weed about to send you to some alternate ass dimension with 12 senses and a highly complex formed brain.

>yfw reality is a persistent illusion with all actions being of solely corporeal consequence

yea.
>>
A natural process. Most of us here will fade away as Darwinistic failures, and that will be the end of our consciousness.
>>
>>24729576
Because all measures we have tell us there is nothing.
And given a mountain of Known Knowns against a mountain of Known Unknowns, the Known Knowns take precedence, on the ground that they at least can be dealt with.
If you're going to respond with "but how wud u know u wernt there XD" anti-logic, don't bother, I'm not going to respond to, someone with no interest in discussion.

>>24729731
Are you going to actually point out what you interpret to be a flaw, or just shitpost?
>>
>>24729446
Except consciousness is not energy. That's just stoner babble.
>>
>>24729619
>he thinks the body = the consciousness
what a simple view of the universe you have
>>
>>24729785
>Haha I'll call him religious because I can purposefully misinterpret his argument to make it sound like a different group's!
Literal meme response, are you even fucking trying?
>>
I feel like it would be a really big rave/nightclub. When you first get there, it's alright--but overtime, it really gets to you. They keep playing that same stupid techno song. Music too loud to hear anyone. If you decide to buy a drink, they're $10 a glass. Pit stank as annoying dicks put their drinks up. There's no way out. If you do find a way to kill yourself, you have peace. For two seconds. Then you enter right back in again. Not to mention that the only people you can sort of hear are edgy teens right off of Tumblr.
>>
>>24729952
>being this defensive about your beliefs
just admit that you do not differ at all from a theist where this is concerned
>>
>>24729926
>Because all measures we have tell us there is nothing
There is no such measurement.

>>24729926
>And given a mountain of Known Knowns against a mountain of Known Unknowns
No, every moment of my existence would suggest otherwise, I tend to think of people like you as being dogmatic.

And it stems from a desire to counter another dogmatic attitude, established religions.

In fact nothing you have said has contradicted anything I have said, all of which is founded in my perceiving myself to have free will.

Don't lose the forest for the trees kid
>>
either
>void
or
>very confusing and disorienting, until random patterns start to cohere and make sense again, creating a new life
or
>you wake up
>>
>>24729966
you should lurk moar and post less
>>
File: 1447118265072.png (121 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1447118265072.png
121 KB, 400x400
>>24729932
>Except consciousness is not energy.

Consciousness is formed through the biological formation of neural tissue. Quantum physics would say that consciousness is an algorithmic frequency that uses the domed neural flesh as a sort of container.

Death, and the dispersion of your physical matter, would scatter the remnants of your physical self and destroy what remained of your fleshy container, but it would be transferred to another point in time (maybe in a distant universe, galaxy, who knows).

But consciousness is a constant variable, a tangible one.
>>
>>24729966
>If you do find a way to kill yourself, you have peace. For two seconds. Then you enter right back in again.

mr duble dubs, you just described life
>>
>>24729938
So let me get your point of view straight. If a man suffers a stroke in his hippocampus you believe me that his memory is fucked. He won't ever act the same again. Or let's say his prefrontal cortex gets blown off in Iraq. He will never again have control over his outbursts and emotions. Friends will not recognize his behavior, he will alienate family and loved ones because his personality is totally different now. You accept these facts and know they are true. Yet you also believe that when a man dies and his brain is utterly destroyed, including the regions I just mentioned, that his "spirit" continues to exist somehow without these deficits. The brain is destroyed but the function of the brain (our personality and consciousness) is somehow still being produced.

If you believe this you may as well believe you can destroy your computer and still expect to use it the next day. Absolute hilarity.
>>
>>24730026
Tahmid pls go nobody wants to worship cows
>>
>>24730051
tl;dr
i built my computer myself. i could take it apart and put it back together.

this is how i imagine energy and matter to be. you can change the shape or form but you can never fully destroy or create anew
>>
>>24730051
But everything you say is viewing it one side, you are prejudiced.

Why do you not think that it is the flow of consciousness, in which the brain is seen, observed, measured, and manipulated that is definite, and the brain is just the way the consciousness sees all the change unfolding within itself?

This is a very important point.
>>
>>24730051
the brain controls the body
therefore the brain is synonymous with consciousness? you could just say that you don't know.
>>
>>24730091
Well you should come to my hospital tomorrow because we have urgent need of your services. I have a ward full of people who are fucked for life because their brains are damaged. They can't think, can't talk, can't remember, can't move parts of their bodies. I'll let them know that you're coming to fix them.
>>
>>24730254
>rping this hard
>>
>>24730254
you don't work in a hospital anon and if you do you probably clean the bed pans. it's not my fault that you equate consciousness with morality and and fail to grasp the most basic principles of physics.
>>
>>24730254
I gotta say Mr. Bill Degrass Reddit, I feel like you have a good reason to be prejudiced. I am a neet philosopher, out of the way of the world, so I can see it as it truly is, ignoring dogma and superstition of the spooky mystical influence of the brain.
>>
>>24730247
Consciousness is a phenomenon arising from specific neurological systems. When these systems are damaged they can no longer produce consciousness. When you lose your kidneys you can't produce urine. When you lose your spleen you can't clean the blood. Why do all you dummies think when you lose your brain you keep its functions? Oh, that's right, because it is scary to imagine not existing. It's too dark and scary so let's pretend we'll always be OK.

Top kek.
>>
>>24730345
>Oh, that's right, because it is scary to imagine not existing. It's too dark and scary so let's pretend we'll always be OK.

Actually, thats what you think we think, and so you retroactively base your ideas around it.

I have already explained to you how there are two sides to this coin, and you are prejudiced towards one over the other, but you work in a hospital and have had to remain prejudiced because of your feelings.
>>
>>24730345
you really are a defensive fag with next to no understanding or formal logic. Admitting ignorance as to the truth of an assertion does not automatically render the opposite true. Also, your perspective on consciousness it biased, you can only observe it outwardly projected through others. I really do recommend that you either become a little less of a fag or kill yourself.
>>
>>24730345
Lol the worshipping of "logic" and comparing consciousness to urine production, then le funny top kaakaa meme at the end.

Back2Reddit ;-/
>>
>>24730399
>Admitting ignorance as to the truth of an assertion does not make the opposite true

I'm not him but this isn't two sides of an equal debate of two positive statements, it's a positive assertion (there is something after death) vs. a negative assertion (there is NOT something after death). The default position is the negative, not some theoretical fence-sitting middle ground where your positions are equal.
>>
>>24728747
Think about this: life is about how insignificant and cheap is the (life of an) individual. Anyone can be replaced, and millions of living things die, every minute to feed another.

Why do you think you are so important, your mind / spirit / whatever should be kept alive? Why waste "resources" for you?
>>
Having thought about it and done a fair bit of research into the philosophy of mind I realized that an afterlife (I guess, depending on your definition) is pretty much a guarantee.

If functionalism is true the afterlife is merely your mind realised in another form.

If substance dualism is true you become a freaky ass ghost who gets to travel back to the seventeenth century and jizz ectoplasm all over Descartes' face.

If identity theory or behaviourism is true... LOL JUST KIDDING

If panpsychism is true maybe you're reincarnated, maybe you ascend to a higher level, your atoms and therefore your consciousness become a part of the Earth.

All of these have problems, so the answer's probably a combination, or between two, but it appears as though even though there may not be psychological continuity, there will at least be another set of conscious experiences after this one.

I was raised Catholic, and the thought of hell caused insomnia when I was a pre-adolescent... So this is far from wishful thinking, I assure you.
>>
do you know how badly I want that delicious candy she's putting in her mouth
those things are a godsend
>>
>>24728747
I'm hoping for the first option. Sweet unconsciousness in unknowing death.
>>
>>24730716
Why are you so certain on this topic

If I can armchair psychiatrist you I would guess that the insomnia and trauma from the thought of hell in the key stages of brain development and development left you with a scar and fear of Hell so much you have to believe there is an afterlife

But that's a lot of projection going on by me but I'm sure your early years had a huge effect on you
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 960x607) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 960x607
>mfw people legitimately believe in the afterlife because of wishful thinking

It's nothing, just like before you were born or sleeping with no dreams.

That being said, thinking about being dead for eternity and forever scares the shit out of me, especially when I'm trying to go to sleep.
>>
Death frightens me because I don't want to be reincarnated as some poor fucker who will live a terrible life. I mean, life is pretty bad but it could be a lot worse. I feel lucky enough that I'm a male born in the 20th century living in the United states. I don't want to give that up.

I feel reincarnation must be what happens based somewhat on the anthropic principle. Meaning that the only reason that I exist in the universe the way it is is because the universe developed in a way that I could exist. Going off that I feel it's inevitable that I (and I use "I" very loosely) would become conscious as something else at some point because it's already unlikely enough that i'm concious now and yet here I am. It should thus occur again sometime after death, but there would be no way to connect my next life to the life I live now.

I couldn't say why I am the person that I am and why it's this life that I live in, but nobody asks to be alive anyways. That's just one of the mysteries of life I suppose. But just as life begins, life must end, that much is clear. So let's make the most of it while we can.
>>
>>24731030
Your theory is weird

So you die, then for some random reason your mind somehow connects to another body. This is magic healing crystal tier retardation

>I couldn't say why I am the person that I am and why it's this life that I live in

Well your Dad and Mum had sex and though the experiences you had in your childhood and life that created "you". Your just an intelligent creature with a personality.

What if your parents gave you up and sent you to live in Saudi Arabia or something you wouldn't be "you" then. You would be in the same body but an entirely different person.
>>
>>24728747
I'm an emt, when I was still in training, one of the instructors told us how he went into cardiac arrest and died, and was resuscitated about 30 minutes later and didn't regain consciousness until the next day.

He described it as going to sleep. All the pain, worry, fear, etc was faded away and he just closed his eyes.

Makes me pretty excited to be brutally honest.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.