[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does taoism have the most perfect interpretation of God?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 12
Why does taoism have the most perfect interpretation of God?
>>
Discussing loose concepts like that is teenagers, people with mental disorders, and women.
>>
>>24639863
>Literally feminism the religion.
>>
>>24639980
Lao Tzu supported women rights but besides that taoism is all about balance between the two genders.

So care to explain your point?
>>
File: tao.png (58 KB, 1200x1106) Image search: [Google]
tao.png
58 KB, 1200x1106
"This place is a dream. Only a sleeper considers it real. Then death comes like dawn, and you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief." - Rumi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN2Xs-MvxLw
>>
These are good principles to live by. However i believe it is important to add that while leading a simple life one must also be prepared to fight in mortal kombat as we must be prepared to defend as quickly as we are to love one another.
>>
>>24639863
sounds like catholicism
>>
I once was into taoism but I took the simple life it preached to mean being a stoner loser with no ambition.

Then I actually started to understand the philosophy and realize I was the biggest retard in the world.
>>
>>24639920
A 'philosophy' whose tenet is 'everything in moderation' and 'just live naturally' is one huge tautology. 'The right way to live is the way that's right.' 'The true way of living is the way that's true.' And the 'leads...' mentioned are so vague, they're useless.

It's immoral, too, of course, but that's a different story.
>>
>>24640115
but rumi is arab
>>
>>24640159

mortal kombat is shit, all about that street fighter.
>>
>>24640289
>understand

This word should be banned.

I mean this 100% seriously. It, and its synonyms such as 'comprehension', 'getting it', 'realizing', should be removed from language.
>>
>>24640319
You dismiss something based on your extremely superficial knowledge of it.

and you can't hardly claim anything to be immoral when you only live for your own self-interest exactly like an animal.

You, like women and jews are an amoral person, not capable of choice which is a necesessity for morality.
>>
>>24640319
>everything in moderation
How could your refute this? This is good advice, excess of anything is usually not good.
>the right way to live is the way that is right
Circular, useless ambiguous info that teaches nothing

I dont believe it is immoral but maybe it would be better to say it needs some fat cut out
>>
>>24640370
>You dismiss something based on your extremely superficial knowledge of it.

Oh, yes, forgot. The word 'knowledge' should be discarded too.

>immoral

Every single eastern religion is based on propagating demotivating conntations such as 'don't think', 'don't try', 'don't struggle', 'don't fight', and justifying them with a single claim, 'everything in moderation', as well as on immaterialism, refusing to discuss matter such as nature vs nurture.

>>24640376
This is not advice, this is a cliche that will be subsequently used by e.g. druggies saying that a certain drug is in itself harmless, because it should be used 'in moderation'. Such fallacious reasoning harms the society, and so does propagating it in the first place. QED.
>>
>>24639863
the way isn't god in any sense of the word that a westerner would have. and if youre not reading Zhuang Tzu youre really not diving deep yet
>>
>>24640439
>the way isn't god in any sense of the word that a westerner would have.

Believing in an 'underlying principle that there are are no objective principles to live life by', or whatever crap, is literally belief in God. 'There is some magical something that is inexpressible and incomprehensible and good and natural, and it magically means that intellect isn't everything and we should just live life.'
>>
>>24640468
In other words, believers in eastern shit are exactly as theistic as Christians and Muslims, if not more. Presence of the letters 'God' does not not make it not a religion. Face it.
>>
>>24640431
>Every single eastern religion

All religion is superstition. There is no reason to single out eastern religions.

but that is besides the point, I know you are that guy from the buddhist thread talking about how free will isn't real, so you calling anyone immoral just shows that you don't understand the concept of morality.
>>
>>24640480
>you don't understand

Repeat that some more for me. :3
>>
>>24640431
Youre not wrong about the druggies using this as an excuse to justify their excess in drug use. But its still good advice because true moderation in everything is key to maintaining balance.
The problem is the perception of moderation can be vent very easily. Like in you're example: "I smoke weed and pop pills everyday but im not negatively affected because im not dead or feeling anything negative."
Same reasoning with people who claim to maintain a moderate diet but cheat sometimes because the effects are negligble.
>>
File: 1439737356010.png (101 KB, 505x536) Image search: [Google]
1439737356010.png
101 KB, 505x536
>>24639863
>finding your identity

No, Taoism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. The primary and only objective belief is balance, and in a world of such unjust pain, the Tao teaches to thus live in counterbalance.

What you said about the interpretation of God is spot on however, I personally find the Tao and Christ are symbolically interchangeable.
>>
>>24640491
If you are incapable of making a choice, you do not have the capacity to take responsibility.

Morality implies a choice in its' definition. The choice between right and wrong.

Not being capable of picking between the right(moral) and the wrong(immoral) choice makes you a amoral(lacking morality).
>>
>>24640525
>is the perception of moderation can be vent very easily

Indeed. If every time I was called mentally ill for pointing this this out in 'meditation' and 'pschedelic' threads -- that certain practices can affect your definition of 'moderation' or 'properness' -- I actually became a bit more mentally ill, I would literally be a howling, self-cutting, self-shitting corpse.

>>24640543
>Taoism isn't a religion
>>24640543
>Tao and Christ are symbolically interchangeable

Wow.
>>
>>24640575
He thinks that 'choice' and 'free choice' are the same thing! :3
>>
>>24640431
>>24640338
'Should' is such an umbrella term for moral imperative. Try making a convincing assertion using only objective language. You may actually be persuasive if you include reason and information, instead of raw judgement.

>>24639863
Taoism does not involve a concept of god.

>>24640319
>one huge tautology
Aren't all religions?
But I believe you're missing the point. Taoism encourages one huge tautology. You would be at peace. It would be harmonious. It would Be...
>>
>>24640586
I hear you. Personally i believe that both those, meditation and properness are very important but like i said its about true moderation. I dont think these practices are useless but in excess is actually very harmful. Like the idea of meditating to empty the mind for all time to reach happiness. This is almost the same reasoning as get stoned all the time to reach happiness.
>>
>>24640603
In other words, yes, morality exists, because yes, choices exist (are being made). But they're not free. So your claim about me, having no right to speak of morality because I reject free will, doesn't follow.
>>
>>24640319
>>24640376
>he thinks he understands anything Lao Tzu cause with reading a shorty English translation.
Learn Chinese if you want it to make sense.
>>
>>24639863
Taoism has the same interpretation of God as Buddhism and Hinduism.
Tao is the same as Tathata or Brahman. Hindus don't believe in their gods the same way a Christian would. They are concepts and represent the different aspects of the divinity.
Any Religion which recognizes man's unity with the cosmos is superior to Christianity, Judaism or Islam.
>>
File: 1448234160970.png (651 KB, 781x879) Image search: [Google]
1448234160970.png
651 KB, 781x879
>>24640586
Are you illiterate?

Symbol: a thing that represents or stands for something else, especially a material object representing something abstract.

Religion: A particular system of faith and worship.

Philosophy: The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

I don't believe in the floating man in the sky no, but i do believe in the passion of Christ.
>>
File: Prrrr.gif (603 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Prrrr.gif
603 KB, 640x640
>all these fucking heretics
>>
>>24640653
'So what it means is, one should live in absolute harmony so to unify the differences inherent in reality?'

'No! No! Utterly, completely wrong! You completely misunderstood! You have to do a lot of reading. You are incapable of appreciating the crucial distinctions. A whole lot is get in translation. You need to study the subject deeply before you stop making uneducated, ignorant claims. Stop talking about what you don't understand. What he really means is, one ought to function in perfect correspondence, so to resolve the distinctions intrinsic to the universe.'
>>
>>24640603
>>24640643

Define free, free from what? Either you can make a choice or you cannot. If something is "predetermined" no choice is possible.

You're just a little meme-"philosopher" who's gone out on water too deep for you.
>>
>>24640659
>man's unity with the cosmos

This is exactly as much of a delusion as belief in God, in the sense it's not even wrong (and yes, one must be unapologetic with respect to using this phrase).
>>
>>24640697
In other words, religions are intentionally vague so to be able to cry 'no you don't understand' ad infinitum whenever an observer tries to disambiguate their claims. This can only have two results: either a person shrugs and lets the sect leader be, or joins the sect, conceding, 'okay, under a certain angle, what you're saying makes sense'. Either way, no loss for the leader. Which is why religions will be there forever.
>>
>>24640772
not him but religions aren't something you should be commenting on with only a weekend of light study or you really will just be talking out of your ass
>>
>>24640796
'I feel it has sense, so it has sense!' :3
>>
>>24640805
I told you to study harder anon. you want to know what you're talking about, don't you? :3
>>
>>24640805
>>24640603
>>24640491
Putting :3 after what you say doesn't make what you're saying any more true.
>>
>>24640814
'I told you, anon, you can't just look at the Moon and tell me there are no faces on it! You need to really see them! Just keep staring!'
>>
>>24640834
he's been called on his nonsense so instead of trying to defend it, he tries to save face by acting smugly superior.

i bet he genuinely believes this kind of behavior to be effective and not obvious too.
>>
>>24640839
you're so cute anon ;)
>>
>natural
>simple

Putting words in gods mouth. God doesnt give a shit, and if he does than its manifested in that things nonexistentence
>>
>>24640834
Saying that something has no truth value and is just a string of concepts that tickles one's brain in a funny way ('Just as activity beats the cold, and inactivity (stillness) beats the heat, purity and stillness can heal the world.', courtesy of http://www.thetao.info/english/quote.htm) has, in itself, nearly no truth value either. But I can at least point out why those are harmful. Here, for instance, is again the typical connotation of passivity + don't generalize + free will justification attack on drive.
>>
>>24640689
Way to be codescending and nonconstructive. If youre ready to open up your mouth to criticize you better be ready to teach so that others can learn and grow mothafucka. Fuck off with that bullshit.
>>
>>24640880
That's not how god or the tao is telling you to act though.
That's how Lao Tzu is telling you to act, cause you know he's a philosopher and that's what they do.
>>
>>24640890
>taoism
>interpretation of god
that's not how that works
>>
File: Ton.gif (297 KB, 68x72) Image search: [Google]
Ton.gif
297 KB, 68x72
>>24640890
Open my mouth? I'd like to open fire on you infidels. Death is all you deserve. Suck on that, fuck you
>>
>>24640952
I laugh at you. All offense no defense. All im saying is that you should try to bring others up with the same force you use to bring them down
>>
File: 1448141064667.jpg (196 KB, 1244x700) Image search: [Google]
1448141064667.jpg
196 KB, 1244x700
>>24640994
I'm going to kill you unless you get baptized and admit jesus as your savior. End transmission
>>
>>24640887
In other words, taoism is just ramblings of one irresponsible shit whose idea of being edgy would be to subvert common sense and spout as many 'truth is ignorance', 'fighting is letting go', 'knowledge is forgetting', 'solving is not solving' Orwellisms as it goes, revelling in the fact that exposure to them is going to make people do less via connotations, while he's going to brush off criticism with 'it's just a metaphor bro' -- and, in fact, knowing that he's not even goig to be criticized, because people will just shift the blame away from him by saying 'oh, he's just making us think, he's just showing us that some truths can be expressed paradoxically', because people are easy to intellectually blackmail into excusing everyone who's robed and bearded and arrogant enough, by themselves identifying the proper (and much less exciting) forms of his poison/truisms, e.g. 'sometimes, new beliefs obsolete old ones'.

How can people be unaware of it?

I honestly don't know.
>>
File: laughing mongol.jpg (55 KB, 436x326) Image search: [Google]
laughing mongol.jpg
55 KB, 436x326
>>24640994
Assuming a stance implies defense. My fighting style is only offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IAYn-UlZk
>>
>>24641019
But, of course, here goes, praise is heaped, most rational religion, true wisdom, just guidelines to life, extremely common-sensical, down-to-earth, very practical, incredible insight... it never ends.
>>
>>24641021
that dude is so fast
>>
>>24641040
not as fast as kenshiro.
>>
>>24641019
>How can people be unaware of it?
>I honestly don't know.
why do you think that you have the authority or the brain power to reduce 2500yo teachings as if it were something you could do?

if you are such a smart and enlightened individual then become a sage and have your own following. maybe in 2500 years your shitposts will still be talked about. but i really doubt it, 2bh
>>
>>24640699
"predetermined" according to whom? or do you believe that since someone, somewhere can be aware of the choices you will have made in the future, this robs you of your free will in the present?

>>24640721
just like m theory bitches.

>>24640772
alright. "follow moderate climates north." oh shit now everyone's north. worked for a while but now it doesn't. oh shit.

do you need someone to tell you to turn left or right every fucking second you're alive? are all insights outside of pointed, detailed instructions absolutely worthless?
>>
>>24641069
but kenshiro loses in that video. it looks like the emperor is victorious
>>
>>24641080
If you don't see why saying 'life is like a river/a valley/a leaf/a mirror/...' is both harmful and cowardly, you are truly on the intellectual and moral level of your masters.
>>
>>24641021
Youre good. But no match for my snapping turtle jutsu!
>>
>>24641021

kenshiro is such a bitch holy shit

>I'm just gonna tap your pressure points and go about my day lmao
>>
>>24641093
>do you believe that since someone, somewhere can be aware of the choices you will have made

if it is possible to have such an awareness it is not possible to make a choice.

You can predict behavior, but that is guesswork not awareness.
>>
>>24641109
wow so deep bro damn wow that's deep you are on such a higher intellectual level bro. wu wei
>>
>>24641109
And then there's just typical, utterly shameless crab mentality. I just learned that that 'every journey begins with a single step' shit is taoist, too. No wonder. Only eastern religions would be as morally nether as to deny the value of people who, you know, actually achieve things, by telling all the stupid and all the lazy, 'here here, you're no worse than them, you can do the first step, too, it's all about the first step, implying, it's the journey and not the destination, don't feel bad, don't feel bad, in reality, you are already worth as much as them, we're all equal by the "virtue" of the fact that our achievements began the same way, we're all already equal, we're all already equal, don't you feel better knowing this?'.

Again, how do people not see?... Willfully, I think.
>>
File: 1448902084029s.jpg (228 KB, 1434x904) Image search: [Google]
1448902084029s.jpg
228 KB, 1434x904
>>24641132
Souther is the best villian because of how much bogus he talks. plus his manic laughter.
>>
>>24641170
>implying, it's the journey and not the destination
you seem like you have reached the destination already. why are you looking back on all us simpletons oh great sage?
>>
>>24641170
Oh, forgot to >inb4 the cultists crying that's not what he meant, you just don't understand, he just wants to motivate bro.
>>
>>24641097
yeh, but in the second fight, kenshiro forces him to take a stance.
>>
>>24641209
Oh shoot, forgot to >inb4 the cultists trying to deflect my criticism by ad hominems, let's derail the discussion from pointing out the social harmfulness of a cult by implying that the criticizer is wasting his/her life, let's make it about him.

Typical, too.
>>
>>24641170
but you're still a virgin
>>
>>24641136
wait, awareness in what way? awareness that someone out there knows the choices you will make or awareness of what those choices actually are?
>>
>>24641243
In the same context you used it first obviously.
>>
>>24641206
>you seem like you have reached the destination already.

Also... again... the irony of literally everyone extolling eastern religions the most rational and the most intellectual ones when they literally every day partake in this, namely in addressing criticism with 'how can you know for certain' and 'how do you think your conclusions are ultimate' and 'avoid hubris of thinking you know everything'... that irony, it stops being bitter. I think that's a bad sign, actually.
>>
>>24641221
how's he manage to do that? Souther seems unbeatable
>>
>>24641021
>>24641040
>>24641069
>>24641097
>>24641221
>>24641311
>a thread about eastern religions in which actually meaningful, informative, true, real, useful things are being discussed

I'm impressed, bots.
>>
>>24641311
doesn't matter how strong they are. hokuto shinken is invincible.
>>
>>24641345
absolutely based

>>24641341
anime is what's best about the east
>>
File: 1432494657158.jpg (192 KB, 1200x1717) Image search: [Google]
1432494657158.jpg
192 KB, 1200x1717
Buddhism was here
taoism a shit
>>
>>24641170
Taoism is a philosophy based around living naturally with the world, why in God's name are you bringing up things like drive and motivation?
Do you really think Lao tzu is telling everyone to live like he did?
>>
>>24641424
>why in God's name are you bringing up things like drive and motivation?

Why indeed.

Why indeed Taoist/Buddhist/Zen/whatever exhortations for people to think just happen to have the form of 'thinking is BAD and EVIL and WRONG and HARMFUL [small print]unlessyoucontrolthem[/small print].

Why indeed their exhortations to be aware just happen to have the form of 'focus on your EMOTIONS and SENSATIONS and BREATH and OTHER PEOPLE and how you FEEL [small print]ohandonsciencetoo[/small print].

Why indeed their exhorations to be motivated just happen to have the form of 'LET GO and DON'T TRY and DON'T WORRY and DON'T THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE and DON'T THINK ABOUT THE PAST and JUST GO WITH THE FLOW [small print]totheproperdegree[/small print].

I used to wonder.
>>
>>24641555
In other words, if a Buddhist 'teacher' kicked you from behind for giggles, you'd thank him that he propelled you in the direction you were going.
>>
>>24641555
>Why indeed Taoist/Buddhist/Zen/whatever exhortations for people to think just happen to have the form of 'thinking is BAD and EVIL and WRONG and HARMFUL

again you single them out, but is present in all religion(the whole idea of original sin is based of this).

obviously a philosopher who tries to share his understanding(thoughts) does not believe that thoughts are evil.

if you have to perform a specific task, overthinking can become as a thing as irrelevant thoughts only inhibit you.
>>
>>24641635
>overthinking

You literally do >>24641630 and are too stupid to notice.

Maybe you'll become responsible in a decade or two. Or maybe not, if the social rewards for complimenting eastern religions outweigh your sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>24641668
I can tell you most likely visit the absolute.net.

Try reading the foreword to poison for the heart. it might do you some god..
>>
>>24641276
>literally.. literally.. extolling
stfu faggot you will find neither Tao nor gf at the rate that you are going
>>
>>24641727
>the absolute.net

Why should I be interested in religious literature exactly?
>>
I used to have a moderately popular blogspot (remember that kids?) for photography. I used to fly all over the place during this phase. On a trip to rural china I was approached by a guy in a burgundy robe by a forest, he didn't speak english so I have no idea what he was saying, but after some kind interaction he bowed and walked away. The tour group leader was very impressed with how I handled him, apparently he was a pretty popular taoist guy or something.
>>
>>24641805
In fact, the very first sentence of the very introduction to the book you suggested:

>In these few marks on paper, I offer you everything that I have, and everything that I am. Thus I exist in this work both physically and spiritually.

the author has already managed to betray his personality disorder. If one cannot even contain the elementary religious drive to define personal pronouns non-physically, nothing he says is of any value. It is the religious litmus test.
>>
>>24641555
you got me - i'll take your sloppy, poorly phrased bait. you haven't actually structured your criticisms into a coherent sentence, but i think i got the gist of it.

you're scared eastern religions discourage critical thinking. you are being retarded. eastern religions do not discourage critical thinking or intellectual pursuits. you haven't actually studied any of them beyond some simple perusing at a barnes and nobles probably.

you think eastern religions will not stress scientific advancement, yet for some reason you believe western religions accomplish this task just fine.

you believe eastern religions encourage apathy when in fact it's a super-duper fucked world that promotes despair in younger generations and then apathy.

you are so fucking reactionary. didn't this conversation generally begin within the last 24 hours on 4chan? and you've already pinned all of society's woes on daoism/buddhism/zen buddihism/whatever. all new (different) ideas are bad and will lead to our immediate demise! don't steer the ship! the ship can't be steered! just keep plowing into that iceberg until the iceberg isn't there anymore!
>>
>>24641805
Well since you pretty much stole "your" critique from Kevin Solway, I thought you probably went to his site.
>>
Really interested in learning more about eastern religion and taoism in particular.

I read the tao of pooh and the tao de ching but still feel like I have trouble grasping it.
Any reccomended literature?
>>
>>24641867
>you think eastern religions will not stress scientific advancement

This would have made me laugh out loud had it not been rather late already.

Eastern religions are absolutely the most vocal ones to declare the importance of logic, rationality, science, criticism, common-sense, being literal, defining your terms, unambiguity, falsifiability, strictness of reasoning, avoidance of sloppy thinking, being down-to-earth, physicalism, and every single other term it is possible to claim to value but not exhibit.
>>
>>24641916
In other words,

to cry logic is important but never to sit to calculate an optimal route to somewhere.

To cry science is important but never to model the flow of gas or fluid somewhere.

To cry literalness is important and give examples when asked for a definition.

To cry science is important, followed by 'there are some answers it cannot give.'
>>
>>24641916
>falsifiability

how can they stress a concept karl popper came up with in the 20th century?
>>
>>24641916
In yet other words,

'Yes, Buddhism doesn't show, but it tells really really really REALLY hard!'
>>
>>24642017
Fine, let your fellow Buddhists reading this thread think this is a valid retort.
>>
>>24639863
You mean that gold is an old dude sitting on a throne and he's pretty much the CEO of heaven?
>>
>>24642040
nigger just shut the fuck up.

I've called you out on your vague nonsense twice in this thread only to receive a smug dismissal evident that you haven't the slightest clue what the very words you use actually mean.

and this time I'm not even responding to you. and i'm still not a buddhist you rambling philistine.
>>
>>24642084
>to receive a smug dismissal evident that you haven't the slightest clue what the very words you use actually mean.
there is no way that you actually talk like this irl
tips fedora*
>>
>>24642018
I sort of agree but I dont think that it is completely devoid of value just because it is not a completely direct answer. These are ideas to consider while you work to achieve something.
For example, its useless to someone trying to lose weight to tell them, "every journey begins with one step. Its the journey not the destination." In that case, it would be more direct to say, "well, maybe you could cut this and that out of your diet and exercise more."
>>
>>24642084
>you haven't the slightest clue what the very words you use actually mean

Okay. Buddhism disappeared from the face of the Earth in 1934. Okay.
>>
Reminder that Buddhists are one of the two religious groups to have commited a major terrorist attack in the past 30 years.
>>
>>24642123
call you on your free will isn't real but morality is nonsensical contradiction

>hurr you have a will it's just not 'free'

explain to you the concept of overthinking

>hurr u think feelings are more important than thoughts because you used that word

respond to a guy who isn't you, and who is clearly favorably predispositioned towards eastern religions

>hurr u a buddhist trynna manipulate people

You are not intelligent buddy, you are a phony like Santa.
>>
>>24642180
Hurr reminder that robots are one of the two types of people that commit major shooting sprees in the past derp derps
>>
>>24642150
Explain the concept of falsifiability from a buddhist perspective.
>>
>>24642135
Well, it is, in fact, about anecdotal evidence. Using is almost always accompanied with unjustly attacking one who pointed it out with the harmful faux insight of 'don't generalize'.

Of course a Buddhist's tenth thing to say to someone in need will be hard, practical solutions.

But the nine things that will come before it, or the nine things that he will say to other people, will be reminders how 'language isn't everything' and 'don't let yourself be consumed' and 'there is a part of us in everyone else' and 'just focus on the present'.

But the Buddhist, faced with this fact, will just point to his anecdotal evidence of having been practical... three weeks ago...
>>
>>24642227
Yeah, your point?
You're associating yourself with both, isn't that worrying?
>>
Reminder that you are talking out of your ass. Stop that
>>
>>24642281
*be consumed by anger

>>24642262
I'll assume, for the last time, that you are just literally retarded and not trying to disrupt the thread, and explain your error once again.

Buddhism doesn't need to have embraced the concept of falsifiability for Buddhists to state its importance while not displaying it.
>>
>>24642218
dude you need to chill your fucking tits right now. you may be having a complete mental breakdown because you are having arguments with me that we have never even discussed.

maybe you should shitpost on /pol/ where they have IDs that make it easy for newbs to keep track of their conversations with other anons
>>
>>24642218
>call you on your free will isn't real but morality is nonsensical contradiction

I never said this. I was ATTACKED for saying the OPPOSITE, namely that free will is NOT exclusive with morality.

>explain to you the concept of overthinking

It is you who failed to understand the fallacy I EXPLAINED here of only off-handedly slapping the prefix of 'over-', 'what I'm criticizing is *over*thinking, bro, just *over*thinking, not regular thinking', after the word 'thinking' has been referred to in thousands of negative connotations.

Well, you are a Buddhist. Everything needs to be explained twice.
>>
>>24642341
the guy who calls people a buddhist is very easy to spot. especially since I spent a whole other thread discussing with him.

since you responded to my response to him, I assumed it was you.
>>
>>24642413
You spent a whole thread having me try to discuss things for you, and you didn't notice that I *both* punctuate and capitalize?
>>
>>24642413
nah you're just a simpleton who has strayed the path and forsaken the Tao. i suggest you stop that
>>
>>24642403
because those texts are concerned with how to trip balls in your mind, ie. meditating.

you might as well say, Kierkegaard is stupid because my christian neighbour smokes pot and talks about chakra energy.
>>
>>24642453
>>24642482

I'm just gonna let you two duke it out then, because none of y'all are at all willing to drop your massive arrogance like that doesn't just makes you seem less confident in your own intelligence.

i know neither of you believe you have everything figured out, so why are you so desperate to prove to make everyone else think that?
>>
>>24642487
>those texts are concerned with how to trip balls in your mind

>publish a text exposure to which literally makes people dumber
>'No you just don't understand, they "strictly refer" (whatever that would mean") to a single practice, they are not about whatever you think they are, I cannot be held responsible for their effects!'

Cowards. Literally, yes, literally all Buddhists are cowards.
>>
>>24642523
I'm not a buddhist, but when trying to understand OTHER PEOPLE, yes OTHER PEOPLE, as in the THE WORDS OF SOMEONE ELSE, you look for their rationale.

"why would this guy go into the woods to live on his own?"

What you are doing is making a premature conclusion (politics basically) and then going out with a vested interest to "prove" it.
>>
>>24642631
>What you are doing is making a premature conclusion (politics basically) and then going out with a vested interest to "prove" it.

Yes. This phenomenon, which no doubt you want to see as little people partake in as possible as it makes many people uncomfortable, is called forming and testing a hypothesis.
>>
>>24642737
Induction(the scientific process in reverse) is a modern phenomena that allows mathmaticians to "prove" their surrealistic religious claims of black holes, curved space, space time, big bang, ect.

A hypothesis is a premise you use for your theory(your explanation), to reach a conclusion.

With induction, you start with the conclusion, skips the theory and "proves" your hypothesis.
>>
>>24642801
>a modern phenomena that allows mathmaticians

I know that it is low to point a typo in one's post. *A*.
>>
>>24642869
yeah i used the plural form, but that doesn't inhibit understanding unless you are a kindergarterner or something.
>>
Reminder to only use "God" in quotes to show that you do not respect other people's beliefs.
>>
File: inigo-montoya_that-word[1].jpg (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
inigo-montoya_that-word[1].jpg
56 KB, 400x400
>>24641905
Te of Piglet?
If you're interested in eastern religion in general try
The Book: on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are. Google has the pdf. Alan Watts is very easy to digest.

>>24642135
>its useless to someone trying to lose weight to tell them, "every journey begins with one step. Its the journey not the destination."
You are simply wrong in this. It may be useless to some. But the quote has and does assist some people in goal seeking behavior. I have both received and given that exact advice, to measurable benefit.

>>24641276
Pic literally related
>>
>>24639863
yes just like the time the taoist king (emperor) of china slaughtered buddhists. Fuck taoism. Only buddhism has real answers concerning human suffering.
>>
>>24642888
Nice trips. Also yeah, i shouldnt have said it was useless but its just not as direct advice. Its more motivational and foundational rather than giving a straight answer.
>>
>>24642888
on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.
>aka why you are an arrogant self centered cunt who doesn't reallize all things are connected and you are a part of the system, not independent. special snowflakes are a dime a billion
>>
>>24640834

yes it does :3
>>
>>24642523
buddhism is concerned with suffering, there is litteraly nothing of greater value in existence.
This is where it proves superiority of all religion, just look at the four funamental truths. Name me one thing that is more important than suffering or ridding of it. 1817
>>
>>24642888
>Alan Watts is very easy to digest.

This is because he is 100% redefinition of terms and 0% insight.
>>
>>24639863
>people think believing in free will changes anything.

I gave that shit up around 2004 when i realize medication was all that could save me.

I doesn't change day to day things. you still have your old habbits. It just removed a lot of selfish desires like "I want a Yacht!" and gives people excuses to minimize social punishment for their actions, which is why people like it.

The idea with that human behavior is causal, and a part of the fabric os existence, not some independent "god-like" thing.
>>
>>24643145
Love and virtue
>>
>>24643438
no one is loving in pain.
Take a look at all those beta shooters.

Virtue, to what end? I have a virtue of taking out the trash every weak. That just delays suffering of the messes.
All of these things are lies by ego-maniacal "wise men".

So all other virtues are about minimizing suffering.
>>
>>24643550
>no one is loving in pain.
I could be living proof. Who are you to say that my pain isn't real and that I can't love regardless of it?

>delaying suffering
Now this is interesting, I don't think that virtues are lies. Sure they can be used by men to act like they're better than others but that in itself is not really virtuous. There is value in being vigilant, courageous, compassionate, all that.
I'm not sure to what end, to the end of life? These aren't just some things that you pick up and drop whenever it's convenient. Even something as little as taking out the trash shows a least a little bit of discipline.
Come to think of it, you're right in that suffering is probably the most important thing because all these things stem from trying to avoid it. It's like the root that brings forth the tree. The darker side of light.
So in the end, yeah, suffering is the most important, great driving force for all other things.
I'm sorry if I seem all over the place.
I'm just trying to say that it's not useless crap that only self-centered self-appointed gurus spew to make themselves feel better.
>>
File: 1446440392882.jpg (13 KB, 174x177) Image search: [Google]
1446440392882.jpg
13 KB, 174x177
Good philosophy.
I was quite fascinated with it, it truly was the closest thing to my soul I could find.
Shame I somehow lost my way.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.