[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything more unpleasant than group work in university?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: uknowhattodo.jpg (17 KB, 350x189) Image search: [Google]
uknowhattodo.jpg
17 KB, 350x189
Is there anything more unpleasant than group work in university?

Post stories
>>
Only had one group project fortunately and it's going pretty well.
>have a 7:30 am lecture I'm never social in because I'm tired, have to wake up at 6:30am to take the shuttle over to that portion of the campus
>placed in a group with a guy I've talked to a few times, two girls and asian foreign exchange student
>instructed to brainstorm ideas for the entirety of the class
>nervous because I'm seldom comfortable around new people
>group isn't at all discussing the work and rather their social lives
>ohshit
>start making one off jokes in an ethnic accent
>I mean the shit is genuinely unfunny but somehow they're landing
>group circles around me with me as the focal point for the duration of the class and we get looks from other groups as well as the professor because everyone is laughing so loud
>next class during the lecture the blonde from Connecticut who thought it was hilarious I'm from Brownsville in New York City (google the crime rate) sits next to me and repeats some of my terrible jokes throughout the duration of the class cracking up the entire time gaining the ire of my professor and class mates
>>
File: 1420249745900.jpg (52 KB, 438x438) Image search: [Google]
1420249745900.jpg
52 KB, 438x438
>mfw group presentation due on monday, and i haven't done a single thing, and i'm not gonna show up to class

too bad it's worth 10 percent of our grade though
>>
I'd say not group work
>half my classes have 10+ hours long assignments
>work must be submitted digitally for one
>that class is horribly confusing, shitty Russian instructor with his own shitty book trying to teach Applied Electromagnetics
>literally 90% of the kids just copy off each-other

>talking with Indian kid I tutor with
>"oh that class shouldn't be hard to get a high grade in, I got 10/10 on all my homework"
>"well everyone I ask to study with is always busy"
>"lol just make more friends!"
FUCKING NORMALFAGS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MULTIPLE of my classes are this shit, where at least half the grade is timesink stuff you can copy from others. LITERALLY a class clown normie walked into one of the classes and said to a bunch of his friends "who has the 324 homework for me?"

I swear to god I want to kill these fuckers. I wish I had never gone to CC. At CC the homework was mostly optional, with a teacher literally saying to the class "the homework is for you, not me." Majority of the grade came from performance work (quizzes, tests, in-class participation), the people who were there actually wanted to be there, to the point where for the only Engineering AS, there were eight people in a class that ran bi-yearly. At an institution which actually has more than 6000 part-time and fulltime students (combined).
>>
>>24593731
>>24593496
Almost forgot:
>group presentation in Business Geography 101
>8 pages total basically including presentation
>distributed among 7-9 students
>we had three people to do a two-page section
>explicitly instructed not to go over two pages
>fill two pages
>teacher marks off for not including more information
>sent him a shit email saying how it's unfair we're expected to do only a page of work, get told we'd be marked off for more, and then mark us off for not having more
>also tell him I've literally done single assignments with more content than that, that it's shameful how little he was asking of us
>grade goes from 81 to 87

I chewed out that fucker for giving around 1/6th of our midterm free because normalfags fucked up so many questions. Went to his office, told him it was offensive, he got a bit angry and was like "well that's how I'm doing things." I'm sure I gave him an ok class review but shit for grading.
>>
>>24593496
>Join lab group
>They are all laughing and joking during experiment
>Try to join in by asking about them
>They all go silent and stare at me
>"Just concentrate on the experiment alright?"
>>
File: 1447697489557.png (427 KB, 514x662) Image search: [Google]
1447697489557.png
427 KB, 514x662
>>24593828
you are boring and annoying

>>24593496
If something is supposed to be group work I just opt to do it by myself
>>
>Mandatory master's level project course
>Basically supposed to develop a product or larger system and present a prototype in the spring
>Business school students thrown in so that they can get some kind of project management experience meaning that they're automatically supposed to get the managerial roles
>End up developing a web service with a hardware part to produce data for the web service
>Two business school people and 4 tech people
>The business school person who is the leader simply because she called dibs on it first keeps constantly not attending meetings because of her two kids and complaining about how hard it is to be a mother during these meetings
>Schedules weekly meetings simply for the sake of scheduling meetings and just flat out refuses to schedule meetings when there's nothing to have meetings about
>Because of her absence the other business school guy has to write all the business school type reports and plans together with us technical people
>We have a client company who "sponsored" us with our basic idea
>Completely fucks up the times we're supposed to interview one of them for writing reports about them so the other business school person has to re-do all the interviews
>When we need to schedule meetings outside of her usual "Every week on this day at this time" she never replies until a few days later and is generally next to impossible to get hold of
>Eventually I have to take over the whole technical side of the project like the business school guy has taken over the business side of the project
>Still continues to moan about how overworked she is with her other courses and the kids whenever she does show up for meetings that aren't technical
>Towards the end all she does is show up at meetings and sit reading facebook on her phone
>Still talks about herself as the team leader
I guess you could basically call her the epitome of women in tech...

I also wish she was the only one in the group who didn't pull their weight.
>>
>semester long group project
>have to write a report and do a formal presentation at the end of the semester
>4 people in my group
>working on rough draft of report which has to be submitted to get marked by professors
>i'm writing a few bits and editing the report
>finish and send it off to other members of group
>day before it's due i get 10 emails from bitch group mate telling me how terrible this report looks and how terrible my written parts are
>specifically underlines some things i wrote with "this is stupid", "what the hell is this" and "???"
>tells me how important this class is to her marks because she wants to go to grad school
>says i'm bringing her down and that if she doesn't get into grad school it's my fault
>says i should be taking more pride in my work
>don't make any changes, say I did and hand it in as is to the professors the next day
>week after we're in class and she's giving me the 3rd degree again
>says she's really worried about the mark we're going to get on the report
>says she knows it's going to be bad
>get the report back
>95%

bitch if it was so important why did you wait until the day before it was due to tell me how terrible it was, and why didn't you make the changes yourself if I was so terrible

fuck that bitch
>>
>>24594083
The guy who was supposed to do the web UX:
>In the beginning of the course we discuss how we're going to built the web UX and system backend
>Two ideas emerge, one where we build the backend with Java and a the web UX with a Java framework for building really nice Java web apps and another where we build the back end with Python and a Python framework for web apps
>One of the technical people has already committed himself to building the hardware device so it's 3 technical people who get to vote on it
>The guy who suggested the Python implementation votes for it and I, who suggested the Java implementation, vote for the Java one leaving the 3rd tech guy as a tie breaker
>Says that he's got some previous experience in Python based web development and doesn't want to work with Python, so he votes for the Java implementation
>Offers to be the guy who does the web UX while I do the database and database management side while the Python guy does the links between the hardware device and database as well as the database and the web UX
>On the UX front what follows is several months of "Oh I haven't had the time to work on it", "Oh I haven't been able to make any progress on it" and "Oh I had to start all over" excuses with literally not a single line of presentable code before the Christmas demo with the final demo in April as he had just started from scratch for the 2nd time
>Go into the Christmas demo with literally just terminal output as UX
>Promises to work on it really hard over Christmas break
>Ask him about progress after the Christmas break
>Hasn't worked on it all and is literally unable to come up with an excuse
>Finally by the time of the final demo and presentation he gets a VERY basic web UX working after me and the Python guy write 50+% of it
>General comments were all along the lines of "Nice app, but really spartan web UX" when the webUX had been written in it's entirety in the month before the final demo
>>
>>24594476
At the end when we asked him why he decided to vote for my Java-based solution he told us that the bad experiences he had with Python based web development were simply from a Python based web development course that he just barely passed despite the course being really easy to just pass.

Another group however had it even worse:
>Supposed to make an iPhone App + Service
>Created by a very enthusiastic business school guy who says that he can code part of it and is looking for at least one more programmer
>Team is literally him, one tech person and 3 of his business school friends
>As you might have guessed it, the guy has never done anything more complicated than HelloWorld and has to admit that he can't program for shit, leaving the other tech guy alone
>Rather than talking to the people running the course and getting someone to help the one tech person who's actually supposed to build the app and service, he just says during lectures that they're looking for another programmer
>Being business school people they get team T-shirts, local businesses to sponsor them and their app all the while this one guy is trying to build everything they've dreamt up
>As you might have guessed it, for most of the course nothing works and only at the end does he get the app and service into a semi-working state
>When they at the end present how much time each and everyone spent on the project it ranges from 30 hours by one of the leader's friends, about 52 hours for the leader and finally 247 (!) hours for the only tech guy
>They naturally get a really bad mark for team management (us too, but different reasons)
>Leader guy naturally has the nerve to complain about how this wasn't his fault when another team really did go to the lecturers and ask for another tech person
I didn't really start to despise business school people until I had to work with them and learn what they're like from first hand experience....
>>
Seriously, I thought women in STEM being there for the attention and free ride was a myth until I experienced it myself
>Pared in a physics lab group with a Stacy
>Supposed to do a bunch of these really time consuming experiments and then write reports on them
>Agree that we'll do the experiments together and then assign the reports between each other
>End up doing the labs and then agreeing to hand in the reports as we finish them I write up my reports and submit them
>Never submits her reports
>Try to call her
>Turns out she's given me a fake number so I can't contact her (imagine that, doing the fake number act ON YOUR LAB PARTNER)
>She's got the data so I can't do the lab reports on my own ether
>End up having to re-do all of her experiments and write the lab reports on my own
>Guy running the person agrees that with all but one of the lab reports being written by me and the one other being written by us both he can't pass her
>The same course goes under different names for physics and general STEM people
>Guy running the course can't remember which one of us studied what so I get both versions marked as passed in our study planning system
>The one I'm supposed to be taking is 2 "study points" while the one she's supposed to be taking is 8 (!) for LITERALLY the same course
>Finally to add insult to injury find out she's been given some kind of "Best New STEM Student" award by university management
I had been on 4chan for over a year by that point, but it wasn't 4chan that redpilled me, it was this.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.