[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one escape this cycle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13
File: 1448720304176.jpg (21 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
1448720304176.jpg
21 KB, 400x394
How does one escape this cycle?
>>
You can't escape inertia. An outside force has gotta interrupt it.
>>
>>24587561
You do something despite feelings of powerlessness
>>
File: smugpepebee.webm (324 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
smugpepebee.webm
324 KB, 512x512
Just do something. Take control of your life. Go out there and be the best you can be.
BEE YOURSELF
>>
>>24587561

Do more things.
>>
Any notions of reality of 'escaping' any circle are delusions. Reality is determined. Whatever thought you or others might have to remove yourself or others from the circle is a part of the circle as well.
>>
Just do nothing and feel nothing
Done nigger
>>
>>24587561

I added "do drugs" between each step

It actually makes it way worse
>>
File: 1378845532308.jpg (96 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1378845532308.jpg
96 KB, 650x650
>>24587561

here you go familino
>>
>>24587912
>don't think of the future
>believe in free will
>accept yourself

The degenerate's unholy trinity.
>>
>>24587954
>>24587912
In fact, I didn't even read completely... Everyone who says things like 'flaws are okay' should be literally, literally, shot on the spot.
>>
File: fedora.gif (134 KB, 287x344) Image search: [Google]
fedora.gif
134 KB, 287x344
>>24587954
>>24587972

good to see that you can offer intelligent and balanced critique
>>
>>24587649
>Inertia
Physical objects dumbcock
>>
>>24588011
There is no critique for belief in free will for the simple reason that room for critique only appears when you reject it. As long as you believe in it, you quite explicitly arbitrarily dismiss the power of anything, such as invitations to 'accept your flaws' or 'stop thinking about the future', to impair your thinking or drive, because any such dangers you, again, dismiss with 'you can control their effects'. Believers in free will are not scientific; they refuse to discuss their brains.
>>
>>24588065
In other words, trying to talk to a believer in free will is like trying to prove a mathematical theorem and only getting in response that 'truth and falsity are relative'.
>>
File: ishitmyself.jpg (45 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
ishitmyself.jpg
45 KB, 500x431
>>24587912
Good shit
Regardless if everyone else is cackling how dumb this is,
you actually changed my perspective some more.

Thanks faggot
>>
File: sacrifice.png (515 KB, 639x477) Image search: [Google]
sacrifice.png
515 KB, 639x477
>>24587561
don't feel guilty
>>
>>24587912
This is actually really good advice, fuck yourselves negative robots
>>
>>24588091
>literally tells you to stop caring and accept yourself as you are
>'good shit'

Did you really think that needed saying, degenerate?
>>
>>24588115
No, it is just disingenuous. 'STOP THINKING STOP CARING STOP WORRYING STOP THINKING STOP CARING STOP WORRYING [fine print]oh, and also remember to do your best, okay, but basically remember to[/fine print] STOP THINKING STOP CARING STOP WORRYING STOP THINKING STOP CARING STOP WORRYING STOP THINKING STOP CARING STOP WORRYING STOP THINKING STOP CARING STOP WORRYING'.
>>
Man up and do some shit you lazy fuck.
That's how, also watch some motivational videos.
Brake tasks into smaller steps and do that shit.
>>
File: 1448721068576.jpg (33 KB, 395x393) Image search: [Google]
1448721068576.jpg
33 KB, 395x393
here is a more simplified version of the circle
>>
>>24587912
saved.
what a beautiful post.
>>
>>24588118

you can only start working on your flaws after you've accepted the fact that you have them, and that they are common things in human beings

>>24588065

free will is in illusion, but until we completely understand all the concepts and factors, it may just as well exist, because of our general ignorance in the matter
>>
>tfw strive for absolute perfection in everything i care about
>don't give a shit about everything i should care about
>>
>>24588207
waaaaaaaaa THE SYSTEM SHOULD CONFORM TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>24588133
In other words, again, the religious manipulation in it, and posts such as >>24588188, is simply this: 'I am going to imply through various choices of phrase and connotations that you should care less, but I am also going to imply (wrongly) that you have the power to timely notice when the degeneration becomes an actual impairment and stop it. Or in other words, I'm implying that whatever your current level of worry/concern is, is too much, and that the proper, optimal level requires letting go.' This is why every single religion presupposes belief in free will: so to assert that heeding it is not going to harm you either way, because it is your power to prevent it.

>>24588188
>free will is in illusion, but until we completely understand all the concepts and factors, it may just as well exist

There are very real and very many ways in which belief in it is harmful.
>>
maybe do something

JUST DO IT
>>
>>24587692
Hey man why do you got to bee like that?
>>
>>24588236
Or, in short, the manipulation is pushing you down a slippery slope while telling you that the slope is not slippery at all and you can climb back any time.
>>
Kill yourself it's the only way
>>
>>24587912
>bad feelings aren't helpful
They can be if they motivate you to change, like OP wants to.

Pain can be a tool.
>>
File: 1445626552949.png (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445626552949.png
85 KB, 500x500
>>24587912
OP here. Thanks for that. I was really feeling down because my future looks so bleak. This actually gives me a shard of hope that I might be able to find what I'm looking for
>>
File: 1366451484503.gif (403 KB, 160x224) Image search: [Google]
1366451484503.gif
403 KB, 160x224
>>24588236

Not really, as it implies working to you current maximum in order to build a foundation for things in the future. Worrying about events that you have no current impact on isn't going to solve the problem itself.

>>24588133

>what can be done today
>you can change
>you can control your actions
>failure isn't a personality trait, it's an outcome of risk
>>
File: AMDSFMASD.jpg (16 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
AMDSFMASD.jpg
16 KB, 400x394
it's this simple anon :^)
>>
File: 1421975502039.jpg (171 KB, 1075x1430) Image search: [Google]
1421975502039.jpg
171 KB, 1075x1430
>>24587912
thanks, anon, this helps a lot. I've been trying DBT and it's pretty good.

do you guys have melancholic depression or atypical depression? melancholic has no reactivity to good things, insomnia, and eating very little as its symptoms, while atypical has reactivity to some good things, hypersomnia (sleeping too much), and eating too much as its symptoms. I think I've got a mix of them, some days I'm sleeping all day long, others I can't sleep at all. I never eat, but sometimes I can feel happy about things, although it's very blunted.
>>
>>24588279
This, this, this. I am >>24588236, and this is the crux. Manipulation such as >>24587912 (or >>24588312) basically uses 'no true letting go' (yes, the equivalent of 'no true Scotsman'). 'No true letting go, such as the kind of letting go of worry that I am recommending to you, is going to make you care less about your life and goals than necessary'. This is visibly ludicrous. Whenever your brain reads a phrase such as 'don't worry excessively', the 'don't worry' part works independently from the 'excessively' part. Brains are not as discriminating and logical as one, probably believing in free will, would like. The 'don't worry' part can, and will, degrade your definition of the 'excessively' part, getting 'excessively' to include more behaviours, more concern and self-criticism, than it used to. And so, to you everything will still be fine, you will still 'not worry' just as much as you think you properly should, but the end effect is going to be, you will care less about things. Possibly harming both yourself and other people in the way.

I really don't know if people doing this are aware of this and just evil, or just uncritically parrot the religious manipulators who designed it.
>>
>>24588312
One of the many, real dangers of belief in free will is the comfortable 'oh I can deal with it' and 'oh I can do it any time' complacency in which it leads you. 'I can read whatever, I can postpone whatever, I can abuse whatever substance and practice I can, my free will will take care of the effects.'
>>
>>24588430
Buddhism tells us that that's all just an illusion though. Things like IQ are subjective, there's no actual objective reality or way to discern how an experience is happening without experiencing it.
>>
>>24588453
At least, unlike the bulk of proponents of the ideologies you cite, you have some sense of humour, I'll give you that.
>>
File: pizza.jpg (39 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
39 KB, 700x700
>>24588378

>religious manipulator

Anon, remove your foil hat.

Me being incorrect may truly be factual, but don't blame my conclusions on some hypothetical being.

It's true that "don't worry" and "don't worry excessively" aren't that much apart in the brain, but one should be able to anchor those sentiments to real things in your life, therefore turning "don't worry" into "don't worry about getting a proper funeral". Human learning, and in turn growth, is based on appropriating things one turn at the time. Would you tell a robot to go on a dating site when he can't even leave the house? End goals are important, but you can't complete them without having the foundation, and if you try prematurely, all you will achieve is failure without reason.

This is of course an important subject for myself as well, because I often lack ulterior motivation in my life, I want little, and try less.
>>
>>24588430

That's not what it's saying. It's saying to work on things that are plausible for you now and here. Not to do fuck all. Free will has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>24588514
>one should

More 'no true'. 'No TRUE understanding of my words can impair the reader's motivation'.

Are you evil, irresponsible, or just stupid?
>>
>>24588545
>Free will has nothing to do with it.

I will just hope that just a year or two ago, /r9k/ would be still as normie-free as for there to still have been some robots who would understand what I'm saying.
>>
File: hmm.png (8 KB, 348x319) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
8 KB, 348x319
>>24588552

So what you are saying is that the quotations way of wordings is insufficient for the reader to fully grasp the concept that it's trying to teach, and therefore leads the reader in on a harmful way, opposite to what was intended in the first place?
>>
>>24588552
In other words, specially for the village... I mean, the thread idiot of >>24588545: free will has all to do with it in the sense that >>24588514 implies that any possible room for connotations of phrases like 'don't think about the future' can be hand-waved away by a single mention of 'also, remember not to be excessive about it kthxbye', as if such a mention were infinitely, arbitrarily rememberable in the future on demand, as though through free will. I am not implying that people are weak-willed retards, per se; but brains are naturally inclined to embrace any connotations of 'let go' they see. People will fail to try enough on their own; there's absolutely no need to stress it the way religious people do.
>>
>>24587649
like shrooms
>>
>>24588638
What I am saying is that the superficial concept, 'what is tried to be taught', is just an opportunity to push as many degenerate cliches about not trying and not thinking as possible.
>>
>>24588727
ketamine is better for depression. gives you a nice afterglow that lasts a week or so. bad trips are a lot less difficult too, because it culls your fear instinct.
>>
Don't be a freaking normie

Bump
>>
>>24588729
Which is banally demonstrable by the fact that if the author of that picture at all wanted to motivate, they would do it the way I, or responsible people, would do: give a fully objective, fully neutral, fully factual list of hobbies to try or subjects to read about, and let the reader themselves, what's the word, debate with themselves whether any strikes their fancy or not. That's the only moral way to motivate.
>>
>>24587954
then wallow in your shit :)
>>
watch this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzhzkKccBi8
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.