[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /stupid/ here? How has it effected your life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: smart.jpg (145 KB, 679x446) Image search: [Google]
smart.jpg
145 KB, 679x446
Who /stupid/ here?
How has it effected your life?
>>
>>24136549
>effected

Not OP but in case any dick-measuring goes on over this, "effect" is synonymous with "influence", so this usage of it is correct. Also, there was an xkcd comic about this.
>>
>>24136632
this is a /dumb/ thread not an /autism/ thread senpai
>>
>>24136632
Effect as a verb means only to bring about. My stupidity did not bring about my life. That's just silly. It has caused things in my life, not brought about my life in its entirety.
>>
>>24136677

You're right. Smh desu senpai.
>>
>>24136677

To be fair doe, if "life" so defined by OP is the lifestyle you conform to atm and is not defined as your simply being, his usage of it is correct.
>>
File: 14657755766758.png (140 KB, 543x400) Image search: [Google]
14657755766758.png
140 KB, 543x400
>>24136632
>>24136677
>>24136758
Why are you guys doing this to me?
>>
>>24136758
Your lifestyle still isn't brought about wholly by stupidity. There are a slew of things that brought about your lifestyle, not just your stupidity. Plenty of stupid people live differently than one another, because of their life choices tbqh. Affected would be preferable and would have avoided the need to discuss the usage of effect as a verb.

>>24136769
Sorry, family.
>>
>>24136803

Where is the exclusivity clause on the use of the word "effect" as a verb?
>>
>>24136671
Being dumb isn't as bad as being autistic though. As long as you don't pretend to be smart and stay in suitable company (that doesn't expect/require high intelligence) it can be bearable. Autism on the other hand fucks up absolutely everything no matter what.
>>
>people complain about being stupid
>there are far more stupid people on the planet than geniuses
GET OUT NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>24136828
What do you mean? To produce as an effect is the word for word definition of the verb form. His lifestyle is not an effect of his stupidity. Rather his stupidity has affected his lifestyle. His entire lifestyle is not the result of his stupidity. The usage of effect implies that whatever you've said is the outcome is the direct result of the subject. If he'd said my stupidity among other things has effected my lifestyle, I'd have less of a problem, but he didn't.
>>
I don't know the difference between effect and affect

...It's okay though you...you can just use synonyms.
>>
File: MeBonklers[1].gif (129 KB, 320x166) Image search: [Google]
MeBonklers[1].gif
129 KB, 320x166
We should start our own Bonklers club.
>>
>>24136893

Provided that the breadth of the word "effect" as a verb is as you say it is, OP's stupidity is still the reason his lifestyle is as it is today.

If I drop a pencil and it lands on thr ground, surely "gravity" and all synonymous with it effected the outcome of the pencil, which is its currently being on the ground. Were "gravity" exchanged with another variable however, and were it instead a concept that sent things up into indefinite nothing, the pencil no longer reaches the ground, thus rendering "gravity" upon which the pencil's outcome is contingent.

I don't see why more-radical or less-radicsl variables need be considered. Obviously "gravity" so defined is a consequence of the breadth of this universe. Obviously OP's stupidity also is governed by and is a consequence of this universe. Obviously Op's stupidity has to interact with countless other variables to achieve any outcome. It is still OP's stupidity that renders OP's lifestyle as it is rather than otherwise, as if his stupidity so defined retained other properties bis lifestyle would be different. So I don't see why his speech in the OP as we're examining it should be considered poor on the basis you just proposed.
>>
>>24137053
If he was stupid, but rich. His lifestyle would not be the same.

If the pencil hits the ground, it's gravity that had the effect. If the pencil flies sideways, it would be the wind that had an effect. If it takes a diagonal path to the ground, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would say its path was solely the fault of gravity.

Op's lifestyle is better expressed as the sum of multiple vectors as is the pencil's trajectory.
>>
>>24137161

You are incorporating made-up variables into the equation to tell yourself that you are right.

OP's lifestyle conforms to X archetype. OP's lifestyle has a variable altered in a specific way, and now thus conforms to Y archetype.

How is his conforming to X archetype (so defined) instead of for example Y archetype (so defined) not considered contingent on the one varbiable whose properties between X archetype and Y archetype is a binary?

Naturally the aforementioned variable has to interact with much to effect any outcome, but it is still what changes the outcome from X to Y, so how is the change not considered contingent on it?
>>
tfw 110, I'm smart enough to know I'm an idiot
>>
Rikouni naritai..

I'm a baka desu
>>
>>24137229
F@m, you're doing the same thing. You're assuming everything but stupidity is negligible. There's no point arguing. The fact is, no one uses the word as OP did. Whether you believe that is up to you, I guess.
>>
File: 1371433597822.png (14 KB, 314x363) Image search: [Google]
1371433597822.png
14 KB, 314x363
I used to be the smart kid. Today, I feel dumb.
>>
>>24137309

I'm assuming nothing of the sort. Nice strawman, faggot. Also, nice failure to even attempt to rebut anything I said, or support anything you said with any logic at all. Hope you enjoy telling yourself that you're right, then.
>>
>>24137309
>effected
means to cause something to happen, mostly used in business or military speak

Op meant "affected", y'all niggas know that
>>
>>24137357
Nice ad hominem. Since you're so angry, I'll give it one more shot. Effected means to make happen, to bring about. Affect means to produce change or an effect in something. Your life as a whole is not brought about by stupidity. Your lifestyle is not either. Your stupidity may have caused a change in your life; but, it does not bring it about.

Effected as a verb isn't used often, because it has very limited usage.

For example:
>John's advocacy for new staplers effected the company's acquisition of new staplers.

As opposed to:
>John's advocacy for new staplers affected the company's view on acquiring new staplers.

I hope this makes sense. It can be a little confusing; and, I'm not really the best at explaining things.
>>
I have no potential, I am dumb.

So I can't reach the other end of the scale, so I am going towards the other one to get recognition of society, as in getting autism bucks.

Heh, atleast I am not a stupid lowend wagecuuck.
>>
>>24137546
>ad hominem
>in response to your post of nothing but argument by assertion fallacies and your jerking yourself off vaguely in my direction
>literally not even attempting to acknowledge my calling you out on your strawman
>literally not even attempting to acknowledge my calling you on your failure to rebut or defend anything
>literally not even attempting to rebut my previous argument against you after you ignored it the first time and I called you out on ignoring it
>implying I'm going to continue feeding you replies
>implying you fancy actual argument at all with your behavior
>implying your shitty attempt at manipulating me because you can't argue and don't even want to try will work on me

Not going to reply to you again, so feel free to trll yourself you won this pathetic excuse of an argument by refusing to even attempt to rebut your opponent's argument, even after they called you out on it.
>>
File: sad-00030.jpg (223 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sad-00030.jpg
223 KB, 1920x1080
It feels like it's impossible for me to retain new knowledge, no matter how much I study.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.