[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this really all there is to life? The "successful"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
File: 1369679547655.png (2 MB, 990x1060) Image search: [Google]
1369679547655.png
2 MB, 990x1060
Is this really all there is to life? The "successful" people spend all their time making money and then spend it on expensive gadgets and fucking attractive women? The "losers" just sit around and exist? This is it?
>>
The losers eat shit and die
>>
>>24110730
Everyone eats shit and dies friend
>>
File: wizard.png (200 KB, 310x400) Image search: [Google]
wizard.png
200 KB, 310x400
You forgot about wizards. Losers and successful people are separate planes of existence. Takes many years and patience to transcend to being a wizard.
>>
>>24110706
I don't want gadgets, I want antiques and books.

But I suppose it's all the same in the end.
>>
>>24110706
Its not about fucking attractive women, its about being in command of them. If you had all on that pic, you could literally walk up to any girl and tell her "I want to fuck you, and your friend, in a foursome with my gf" and they would say yes instantly, and your GF would be right next to you being a submissive nigger like slave to you.
>>
The successful people are those who are happy
The losers are usually not so happy
We all die, but most people get to pass their genes on at least
>>
>>24110706
There are alternatives. You could join the Peace Corps or something similar.
>>
>>24110847
Pretty much this. Success doesn't necessarily mean having a lot of money though. It can also mean that you're working in exactly the field that you want to be in. I feel like when you're earning money doing something you're actually passionate about, everything else falls into place.
>>
>>24110706
I'm successful and I don't pursue those things.

i want to provide for my faithful wife and family but that is a pipe dream because reasons

My friend who lives off his parents money does tho and he's not successful.
>>
>>24110835
I don't know man. Even if I had all that I would still be too autistic to approach any girls. My "gf" would just be a gold digger draining my bank account and fucking Chad behind my back.
>>
>>24110706
thats new money. that's the shallowest way to spend your fortune.

and dont pretend your self defeatist lifestyle is any better than a hedonist's.
>>
Maybe the losers are meant to fuck up the lives of the successful people by, I dunno, raping their wives or something
>>
>>24110847

Pass on your genes but you're still dead
>>
>>24110706
Rich kid here.
Being rich, at least when you're from a family of old money (2 or more generations) is exactly like being poor or middle class, as long as you're not so poor that you have to be starving or whatever.

You lose your sense of scale when you have lots of money available for spending.

Unless you're a victim of your money like the trust fund kiddies, you won't notice that you're all much better off than the others, because you take lots of things for granted.

Sure you have more nice things and nicer things and all that, but your standards will start getting skewed towards expensive things, when you're used to them.

When growing up I never had much money.
Sure I had lots of expensive clothes and all that, even as a kid, but I never really had money to spend, up until I started uni I was perpetually broke.

My father started paying me more pocket money then, since he kicked me out of his place for university (something about learning to live by yourself)

And I did have money then, far more than what the average student has available for spending, sure.
But it wasn't all that, you know?
In the end it still felt like I had as little money as everyone else, since I was so used to all those more expensive things that I was spending a lot more too.

Being rich is something you have to learn and new money is scum, all those kids have no idea what it means to be well off.
>>
>>24111168
Are you out of college now? Do you plan on going into the family business?
>>
>>24110706
I don't want any of that. Not even the woman. Couldn't deal with it. Just let me have a dog, a warm house and a nice glass of Jack and red and I'm good.
>>
>>24111207
2 more semesters, Chemistry major
No, of course not, I don't really care all that much.
If my father wasn't such a hardass I probably wouldn't have to work a day in my life.
>>
>>24111330
At least he raised you right instead of allowing you to become a spoiled asshole that claims to be an "artist" or something but really just lives off his daddy's money.
>>
>>24111168
>from a family of old money
>new money is scum
So what am I to do? give up on my dreams? Since apparantly I can't win
>>
>>24111168
>Being rich, at least when you're from a family of old money (2 or more generations) is exactly like being poor or middle class,

how would you know, if you grew up in a rich family? you might THINK your life is exactly like poor people's, but you actually have no idea, because you lack context.

I suspect the difference has very little to do with "having money available for spending" and much more to do with *worrying* about money. If you have rich parents, you never have to worry about being homeless. If you don't have that lifeline, the threat of running out of money or losing your job is omnipresent. If you've never experienced that, you have no idea what it's like. Poor people don't want to be rich so that they can buy nicer things - that's your rich kid's interpretation of what poor people's lives are like. Poor people want to be rich so they don't have to be afraid anymore.
>>
>>24111430
I think he was referring to the young investment banker yuppie types.
>>
>>24110820
*tips fedora*

euphoricblox
>>
>>24111444
This is very true but I can't blame him for it. When your family is well off, you're insulated from the normal expenses people worry about. Things like car repairs, home repair, hell even groceries and gas money.
>>
>>24111472
Sorry anon, that's just my taste. My grandma was my best friend growing up. I've found other areas of antiques that I collect since she died, as well as taking up some of her collections, since no one else in the family gave a shit. They threw away a lot before I even got there.
>>
File: 704.jpg (243 KB, 1123x552) Image search: [Google]
704.jpg
243 KB, 1123x552
>>24110981
Lettuce begin the uprising
>>
>>24111107
along with the normies
I'm gonna be laughing my way to the grave anon, are you with me or against me
>>
>>24110706
Judging by some of my super rich friends' parents, they either spend their time/money drinking wine at home with friends, going out to expensive restaurants/lounges with friends, on cars and on trips. Oh and also sports, whether its on tickets to big games, or signed memorbilia n shit like that

I would really like to get to a point in my life where I can travel on a whim and still come back to a nice place to live and means to support myself. That seems like freedom to me.
>>
>>24111599
PSU fag here. You should see all the rich alumni that come into town for home games in their huge fancy RVs. Not that I mind too much. They're usually pretty generous with food and booze. There's this one guy that's always in the same spot and hands out shots of jager every half hour during games.
>>
>your parents will never die leaving you a vast fortune for you to indulge your hedonism with
>>
>>24111661
I met this guy's dad at a conference once.

I fingered him in the bathroom
>>
>>24111389
>>24111430
My father is a professor of French history, so I guess he's kinda that "artist" asshole.

His favorite book is "Lilly of the Valley" or at least that's what he tells me.

I read it and I understand why he tells me it is.
Balzac tells us something very important here: "noblesse oblige".
Rich people can be considered the nobility of our times, can they not?

>>24111444
That's what I meant with "as long as you're not so poor that you have to be starving or whatever."
Once you reach a certain standard of living you don't have to be afraid anymore or at least that's what it looks like to me.

>Poor people don't want to be rich so that they can buy nicer things
Explain the behavior of those people we are talking about, then.

>>24111515
I did do grocery shopping on my own for years (this actually sounds really pathetic when I say it like this), but you're right, I never had to worry about having too little money for any of that stuff.

>>24111453
Yes and the fucking trust fund kids.
>>
>>24111659
I remember this one girl who used to hang out in my circle of friends and go drinking with us quite a bit would get like $500-$1000 spending money on the weekend from her dad and he'd tell her it was for "her and her friends".

But then there were other friends who's parents had way more money, like owning hotel chains and nightclubs and shit like that, and they wouldn't get a fucking dime from them and had to work at mcdonalds when they were in highschool to get spending money.

And I know the type you're describing, sounds like the private school snobs who somehow still think they're better even though they're in the exact same university course as you. Even though they're generous you know its just a habit at this point and they dont actually give a fuck about you
>>
>>24111731
Nah, by artist asshole I meant those guys that live in an expensive Manhattan apartment completely paid for by their parents and claim to be a painter or something. But really they just party, do a lot of cocaine and bang models.
>>
>>24110706
They are able to spend their acquired money on stuff they want like expensive gadgets and attractive women
>>
>>24111705
>why would anybody lie on the internet
>>
HONORE de BALZAC

MORE LIKE HAIRY BALLSACK

ROFL
>>
Losers should just leech off, never contribute and do as much damage as possible.
>>
>>24111906
LMAO DESU
>>
>>24111168
>Being rich is just like being poor

Please fucking kill yourself, I don't go out because I don't have money, my mum wants to give me money to go out and party but I know she can't afford it and that if I take it she won't have money to go for coffee with her friends (that's literally a luxury to her).

And you know what? I'm not poor, I consider my family to be middle class.

Seriously, fucking kill yourself you sheltered moron.
>>
File: 1445033847979.gif (11 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1445033847979.gif
11 KB, 408x408
>>24111107
>>24110847
>>24110706

The point of passing on your genes is really just to let those after you have a better chance of climbing a little higher than you did on the mountain. There is no top and no point to climbing other than to leave your notch somewhere not many others will care about. Even if you don't have kids as long as you at least had one friend or said something meaningful to another human being your life had purpose. There's no reason to worry about doing something great with your life unless you literally don't contribute any form of happiness or contentment at all. No major contributions or breakthroughs in science are necessary to have lived a meaningful life.

Those with money just have the greatest capacity for this and generally they have to live by different rules because of how society functions and treats people with money.

Tl;dr
This is just the way I see it though and its something I still struggle with so OP my real answer is I don't know but I don't think it matters as much as whether or not you use your life to influence others lives in a positive way. Money or not.
>>
>>24111984
If you're seriously living paycheck to paycheck, you aren't middle class.
>>
>>24111168
>My father gave me enough money to live by myself
>My life was no different to that of a poor person

Are you stupid or trolling?
>>
>>24111984
>that's literally a luxury to her
>I'm not poor, I consider my family to be middle class
You're in the "poor enough to be starving" category, please go away before I catch your peasant bacteria.

>>24112009
I explained why I think that way and I think makes sense.
Please tell me if it doesn't, I'd like to know.
>>
File: 1437577182562.jpg (60 KB, 641x720) Image search: [Google]
1437577182562.jpg
60 KB, 641x720
The meaning of life is suffering. It is our divine duty to ruin other people's lives and to cause as much distress as possible.
>>
>>24112004
>use your life to influence others lives in a positive way

Why should I do that? Others are cunts who only use me to elevate their social status, given the chance they will step on me, attack me and generally act like normies. There is no reason not to be a cunt to everyone.

Speaking of which. Fuck you, nigger.

You might think this isn't smart, because then people will hate you and it will affect your life negatively, but unless you got born a Chad you will never have a good life anyways.
>>
File: 1438616939252.jpg (114 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1438616939252.jpg
114 KB, 800x800
>>24111168
>Being rich, at least when you're from a family of old money (2 or more generations) is exactly like being poor or middle class

Imagine growing up in a trailer in bum-fuck nowhere rural Texas. Half the population doesn't speak English, one third are niggers, and the rest are white trash. The trailer is 20 years old and constantly deteriorating. The only entertainment is to watch goats fuck or shoot guns or shitpost from 3 mps internet, or get drunk/high. One fourth of your classmates come to school high or drunk. There are race riots in the school hallways that end in tear gas. A highschool senior was caught carrying a gun on campus because he had a $5000 hit on his head (he was later killed in prison). Drug deals go down on campus often, and Chads will openly drink bottles of purple drank during/after gym. Our "AP calculus class" had trouble with multiplying fractions.

And you know what? By the amount of money my parents made and how we lived we would be upper middle class ($80000+ a year, yearly vacations, 3 cars). Your safe, nice, upper class upbringing is NOWHERE near the normal.
>>
>>24112047
It doesn't make any sense you moron, you probably went on foreign holidays, always had a decent computer and never envied your friend's possessions. How the fuck can you honestly say that growing up rich didn't make things a fuckton easier for you?

Did you also go to a fee paying school? One thing that really irritates me is people who think that fee paying schools are the norm.

Seriously, fuck you
>>
>>24112047
The problem with that theory is that the standard of living between the rich and the poor is very different. You're life was much different from a poor persons because where you had less money by choice, (I.e. Buying expensive things,) a poor person just has little money. You didn't worry about food or shelter, probably always had some money to go out, and enjoyed a comfortable life. Stop trying to justify your wealth and just admit you got lucky.
>>
>>24112110
>you probably went on foreign holidays
Well, who doesn't?
I'm not American.

>always had a decent computer
No, never had one.

>never envied your friend's possessions
No.

>Did you also go to a fee paying school?
No, schools are actually good here.

>people who think that fee paying schools are the norm
I imagine that American private schools might be able to keep up with highschool education here.

>>24112106
Alright, maybe not quite that poor.

>>24112190
>Stop trying to justify your wealth and just admit you got lucky
Not justifying anything.
Just sharing my observations.
>>
File: burgerpants.gif (589 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
burgerpants.gif
589 KB, 800x500
>>24112075
>Why should I do that? Others are cunts who only use me to elevate their social status, given the chance they will step on me, attack me and generally act like normies. There is no reason not to be a cunt to everyone.

I'm not saying to be a doormat anon because what you say here is absolutely true. Most people are interested in what they can get out of you but you have to continue to give people a chance or you'll just continue the cycle. It's less about what you get out of it and more about improving as a human being. It's easy to be a fucking degenerate but it takes effort to force yourself to continue to be kind after seeing how shit people can be. The goal is to hopefully have turned at least one other person onto a similar philosophy so eventually there's a cluster of people doing similar. If even a little bit of those values are passed on to friends or family then you've succeeded as a human being the way I see it.

>You might think this isn't smart, because then people will hate you and it will affect your life negatively, but unless you got born a Chad you will never have a good life anyways.

Being a beta or a chad isn't the point. Your way of living isn't wrong either but it doesn't give you a chance to experience the better part of humanity by living in the default state.
>>
>>24112212
$80k/year is what you're considering poor?
>>
>>24110706
No because successful spend their money making money
>>
>>24112047
>Be 20
>Friends are all going on trips to countries abroad for their summers
>I'm working a minimum wage job in IT
>Their parents give them money
>I'm paying for shit like microwaves because my mum (single mother, a medical scientist who had cancer, chemo gave her nerve damage so she couldn't work for about 7 years) doesn't have money

It doesn't irritate me that some people have more money than others, but it irritates me that those people are incapable of understanding (well, not incapable since they don't even fucking try) my problems.
>>
>>24112259
No, I consider trailer trash "too poor".
>>
>>24112231
I really don't see the point of being kind. It doesn't help you at all. If you are inferior and act kind you will be treated as a doormat.It's not really about how you act, it's about how you got born.
>>
>>24112212
>Well, who doesn't?
Me for one, and several of my friends growing up. This is what I mean.

You are privileged, I'm not talking about bullshit tumblr privilege, I'm talking about actual privilege. You take things for granted that lots of us simply never had, things that some of us see as a dream one day.

That's what a foreign holiday in the sun is to me, a fucking dream, something to work towards. And before you sneer at us, I come from an educated family, not some degenerate 50 kids and alcoholism family, life just shat on us for various reasons.
>>
>>24112310
The difference is you don't have to be kind to everyone after a certain point. You'll pick up on the ones who are trying to use you as a doormat and the genuine people after a while. Once you get that out of the way you focus on the genuine people. Not everyone has to matter and the smart rich people certainly think that way because its reality. There's a separation between kindness that gains respect and doormat behavior that is important to learn. Regardless of how you were born. Also its important to remember to help yourself before you go helping others but I'm sure you knew that already.
>>
>>24112310
Be kind, but firm.
>>
>>24112430
I really don't share your opinion that there are genuine people. It's all circumstantial. For example me, I got bullied by certain people when I was in middle school, but I never really differentiated between the people who tormented me and the ones who didn't. If the circumstances were different it would be the "genuine" people. I really see no difference there, pretending there are genuine people is searching for something that does not exist. Or maybe they are genuine to others and are cunts to me because I myself am a cunt. But who cares.
>>
>>24112106

.....George West or Kingsville?

Esdras?
>>
File: 1373784601187.png (146 KB, 396x335) Image search: [Google]
1373784601187.png
146 KB, 396x335
>>24110706
If you're shallow or ignorant enough to even ask this, you should probably kill yourself.

Higher education and knowledge, anon... Wisdom.
There's no greater calling in life than pushing the limits of our understanding of the universe, life, and existence itself.
>>
>>24112212
>Well, who doesn't?

I'm 26 and I've literally never been on a holiday vacation. The thought of being able to spend 2k-3k in a single week/weekend sounds ludicrous to me
>>
>>24112486
I've been tormented in my youth too anon right up through college. Are you telling me you've honestly never met a single person in your life who was kind to you and continues to be to this day? I can believe it and as you say its circumstantial. There is no situation that fits everybody but if you don't try things will just be business as usual. Now that you're out of middle school your circumstances have changed and hopefully so has your environment. Every new one is an opportunity to change your circumstances and unlearn more of what was ingrained into you in those times.
>>
File: 1385167349225.jpg (99 KB, 900x1344) Image search: [Google]
1385167349225.jpg
99 KB, 900x1344
>>24112569

Could you tip any harder?
>>
>>24112583
People who haven't been cunts to me up until now only did this because they had no opportunity. Nothing to gain. But if they had it, I have no doubts they would. I mean let's face it, like lots of people here I have no real friends, even if they stepped right over me there isn't much I can do, since I have no social network and they do. So any retaliation from my end would end very baddly for me.

I mean think about it, why wouldn't they? If they can gain fro being cunts(and most social situations are a fight, fight over dominance especially for males). And if you know you are above someone there is no reason not to take advantage of this. It's just the reasonable thing to do.
>>
>>24112649
Having nothing to lose isn't always a bad thing and by defeating yourself in every social situation people pick up on that and take advantage of you as someone who won't fight back or can't. You have to shut that behavior down before it occurs or not allow it to happen in the first place. Never trap yourself into hanging out with a group of people or at a job where you're not respected. Learn from your mistakes and form a group that will.

What you say is partially grounded in reality but in other ways it also comes from your neuroses and experiences. One thing you need to stop doing is "filling in the blanks" or predicting the future which I imagine you do in social situations.
>>
>>24110706
I wouldn't even yearn for any of that shit
>$2000 chairs
>cigars so I can stink up my house and lungs
>a high rise pool where it'll be too cold and windy to use it 99% of the time
>a bitch cunt woman that is only around to soak up my money
I'll take the lambo though, it at least has function
I could also use some new clothes but I doubt there is much difference between those clothes and ones hundreds of dollars cheaper

Then again I'm a loser among losers
I don't even get entitled perks that average people get like friends and gfs
>>
>>24112047

If you say you feel like middle class, like I'm, ok, but don't go saying it's like being poor. You had a better phone than I had, but we both had phones.

When I was young, my only friend never invited me to his appartment because he was ashamed of having nothing in it but his bed and a table, no phone, no furnitures.
>>
>>24112307
>tfw lived in 3 different trailer parks growing up
JUST
>>
>>24112569
>There's no greater calling in life than pushing the limits of our understanding of the universe, life, and existence itself.
Yeah, enjoy doing so while being a wageslave with no time or a poorfag with no money to invest. Knowledge ain't free.
>>
>>24113585
It is if you're already intelligent. Or poor.
>>
>>24111444
>>24111555
>>24111599
>>24111661
>>24111774

Look at all these digits, goddamn.
>>
>>24113585
>Knowledge ain't free
Jesus fuck...
C'mon anon...
>>
Nigga, save up for a 4K TV, a bomb surround sound system, and a comfy as fuck couch. Thats what life is about.
>>
>tfw if I get enough money I'm moving North to some place where it actually snows, buying a modest cabin and a nice plot of land, and spending the rest of my days shitposting in comfy peace.

A man can dream
>>
>>24113839
>>24113915
Anyone else want to post aesthetic/life goal charts like in the OP? I may or may not have been inspired to work on one for myself.
>>
>>24110706
Not everyone is like this. This is the way upper middle-class wannabe rich assholes are. They are the absolute worst.

The actual rich people I've met, ones who legitimately never have to worry about $$$ in their lives, have actually been really cool and non-materialistic.
>>
>>24112495
East Austin. That's as much as I'll say.
>>
File: 1406350615415.jpg (33 KB, 580x250) Image search: [Google]
1406350615415.jpg
33 KB, 580x250
>>24110706

Look at the woman. She's just...there. Just in standby mode until it's time to get fucked like she's paid for, but not really "paid" for because it's not cool to say it like that but you know that's how it is.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.