[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I Just Kidding Myself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 1.jpg (629 KB, 1669x1200) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
629 KB, 1669x1200
Hi, r9k. I'll try to make this short, but I need to provide some context. I really need your help on this.

Context:
So basically, I have ADHD which means lack of focus, short attention span, etc. In college, this translates to putting off homework, inadequate studying, etc, and then ultimately doing poorly on exams, which means low GPA, poor opportunities, etc. I've been like this forever, and it's only gotten worse over the years.

Problem is my parents are decent folk in rough finances, and I really wish to do well in school so that I may have an opportunity to provide for them by getting a decent job. I'm studying computer science.

The situation always starts off where I keep up with the material and do well on the early tests/midterms/assignments. However, I slowly fall behind, wind up doing worse, and then at the end my average for the class is quite low. By the timing of this post you can probably guess I'm fucked for some final exam tomorrow morning.

So here I find myself again with a repeat of the same scenario. At this point I've tried everything (medicine, focus gimmicks, psychology visits) and it's never a big enough improvement to actually get rid of my problem.

I've read about long-term effects of ADHD and none of the studies suggest a life of achievement (higher risk for not completing college, lower job prospects, etc).

So my question is: Am I just kidding myself to think that I can achieve these goals? Am I just destined to be a burden to my family (like a NEET)? Depending on the answer I see only two roads:

If yes:
Then my decisions are either a) sparing them the burden of providing for me, or b) sparing them the burden of grief for their dead son. Which of these is the greater burden?

If no:
Then I guess I'll keep on, and revisit this question in a few months.

That's all. Any answer I can get from an anon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
>muh life is hard because of ADHD

fucking lol

trying have bpd or bp1 faggot

jesus christ the abundence of fucking idiots thining they have adhd because some dumb shit doctor said so only to push the pills big pharma made

GTFO CUNT
>>
>>25000225
I've had this problem my whole life. I've only been "officially diagnosed" for the past two years. But the symptoms are what they are, whatever you call it.

I didn't mean to reduce the problems of others; I'm well aware there are much worse mental conditions (like bpd) I am lucky not to have, for I would cope far worse. I am sorry if I sounded melodramatic.
>>
same boat, OP.
>can't concentrate on shit
>put stuff off
>can't finish or reach goals because of it
>often seem incompetent to other people
>family in shitty financial situation

I actually dropped out of college at the beginning of summer and have been working job after job after job to make ends meet. I can't tell you how to beat it but I can say that being around positive people who know what they're doing helps. find some friends or go to study hall even if only to get homework done. surround yourself with people. people stimulate and stimulation is what gets your brain out of a rut. My problem was that I sat in my dorm all day and when it came time to do homework or study I put it off till the last moment

>>25000388
don't respond to the tripfag. he's only here to start shit.
>>
>>25000388
offcially diagnosed doesnt mean fuck all in this day and age when doctors are over diagnosing every little kid with some problems

jesus fuck. suck it the fuck up.

>>25000402
>start shit

cant say i didnt expect anything else from another stupid cunt that cant 'focus'

jesus christ.

adhd and add are so overly falely diagnosed its not even funny.
>>
>>25000225
I have add, bpd and multiple personally. Eat shit.
>>
>>25000570
>multiple personally

you also have mental retardation

congrats, its not add, YR JUST RETARDED
>>
>>25000402
>My problem was that I sat in my dorm all day and when it came time to do homework or study I put it off till the last moment.
Maybe I shouldn't do the first part of this sentence (which I can affect). I appreciate the advice.

You mentioned that you actually dropped out of college and started working jobs. How happy are you with this outcome? Forgive me if this is a question you'd prefer not to answer.
>>
>>25000467
bruh things don't generally just become magically mythical.

>w w w .russellbarkley.org/factsheets/Consensus2002.pdf

Get on some medication OP. It is more manageable with it, I know the struggle though. I'm going back to school at 23 now, after retaking all of my high-school courses for better marks for entry. I needed a few years to learn how to properly manage time/money/commitments, cell-phone timers for everything from study times to "eat now, it's lunch" times and a strict budget work for me. I know I still look like a fucking idiot to people half the time, but I perform well enough now that I think people see past it to the results. At least I hope.
>>
File: science.png (339 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
science.png
339 KB, 480x640
Drugs.

Don't want to get a scrip for amphetamines then get some Semax, It's like a Koala bear crapping a rainbow in your brain
>>
>>25000601
It sucks hot shit. Ive been through 3 jobs where Im treated like garbage and ended up getting fired because my employers refuse to work with my lack of transportation. Customer service is awful and I hope all consumers burn in hell.
That being said: it was inevitable. I dropped out because my financial aid ran out and i couldnt switch to an easier major. I dont have parents to rely onlike most of my friends so I was SOL. Luckily a friend hooked me up at the house he was renting at and rent here is 300/month. Enough about me. The point is that even though my circumstances were shit I had plenty of chances to fix it. Could have gotten a car with the thousands in fin aid and loan money I had but no. I wanted to be a fat fucking loser. Im currently in bed, hating my life because I have yto wake up at 7 to serve degenerates taquitos at 7/11.

Do what you need to. Uou cant completely fix yourself but there are ways to achieve your goals. Do it for your family.
>>
>>25000467
>adhd and add are so overly falely diagnosed its not even funny

In children you mong. Adults with ADD suffer daily. Get your facts somewhere other than worldtruth.tv you fucking tool.
>>
>>25000162

Hi, professional programmer here with ADHD. Some protips:

-Workout, it makes you focus better
-Get a job, any programming job ASAP. School sucks with ADD, mainly because classes are bullshit. Once you have a real job, its easy to get better / level up / show your skills
-Get a GF/SO, getting laid really actually helps your mind stay right.
-Stop doing smoking weed / drinking / anything other than ADD meds an cigs
>>
>>25000908
do you notice whats similar with all the people in this thread who claim to have add or adhd?

they are complaining about problems EVERYONE HAS and blaming their stupidity and laziness on a illness and putting blame on soething else besides themselves.

pathetic
>>
>>25000763
>Get on some medication OP.
>>25000819
I have, and it's an improvement, but unfortunately not enough. The major problem is it fucks up my ability to sleep (substantially; effects range from 4+ hour delays in falling asleep to remaining awake the whole night to waking up after 4 hrs and unable to go back to sleep) and then when I'm sleep deprived it doesn't work at all.
>>
>>25000996
>stimulants actually stimulate him

proof that you dont have adhd

lol
>>
File: dexies.jpg (5 KB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
dexies.jpg
5 KB, 230x172
>have ADD
stimulants will help
>don't have ADD
stimulants will also help

Shit, you'll be seeing in slow motion.
>>
>>25001032

that whole thing that a stimulant calms ADHD patients instead of stimulating them is a crock of dogshit. It just looks that way because it helps people focus. Very unfocused people will seem calmer because they'll be punding out on some task for hours on end without irritating people like they usually do.
>>
>>25001130
>says the person who claims he has ADHD

lol. at least i admit i am drug seeker unlike you
>>
>tfw have schizophrenia
>voices distract me and tell me to pick answers that aren't correct
>>
>>25001196

Who the fuck says I was the op?
>>
>>25000931
>Workout, it makes you focus better
I've been meaning to try thus, but I've never had the time. Maybe this winter break. Does it make much of a difference in your opinion?
>Get a job
I think I have an internship set up for winter. I'll see how it goes.
>Get a GF/SO
If only.
>Stop doing weed/drugs other than medicine
Don't worry I'm completely clean, alcohol included.
>>
>>25000965
>EVERYONE HAS!!!!! XD

"Everyone" on /r9k/ has different problems, you spouting "jusd concentrate harder" is the equivalent of "jus b urselvs".

It's not the actual ability to concentrate on new information, it's recalling that information which is hard.

Even if someone didn't have ADHD and their problem was more complex sitting here moaning about false diagnoses accomplishes nothing you pseudo-cynical little shit.
>>
>>25000996
More drugs.

Use amps heavy lifting(papers etc) and thiamine + caffeine for light studying/class

Schedule it so you don't take amps after 12pm or caffeine after 5pm unless you must to meet a deadline. Take melatonin (<1mg) an hour before bed, if that isn't enough then add a shot pig booze RIGHT BEFORE BED (literally take the shot and lie down)

>>25001032
>adhd is real
ebin.

Amps are CNS stims, they don't cause hyperactivity in anyone, tard.
>>
>>25001196
I understand that you reach out for attention, and that's ok but you really shouldn't belittle people seeking help.
>>
>>25000225
>trying have bpd
Fuck off, you're a woman anyway. Your life is infinitely easier than any normal guy's letalone one with any kind of mental illness, regardless of how mild it is.
>>
>>25001263

Working out: You obviously have the time; you are currently browsing r9k. It makes a huge difference. You get more mental stamina and more willpower. Also its a lot easier to stay at your desk after you just hit the gym or went running.

Winter internship sounds good, a full workday kind of sucks, but doing well at work is easy, here is the magic trick: work longer hours and give more shits. Most people cruise + chill, so if you just go hardcore (working from 9 to 7 minimum + maybe 10 hours on the weekends) its pretty easy to get ahead.

Working as a programmer isnt that bad with ADD, you just need to sit at your desk and do something when you can. Meetings are the hard part, after like 5 minutes im just totally fucking worthless.

I sound like a corporate fuck, but whatever, im getting paid.
>>
>>25001443
Realistically they're probably acting like this due to bpd. It's fucked how crazy and inappropriate people with it get
>>
>>25001032
I haven't read anything indicating that sleep deprivation is only a side effect of the medicine without ADHD. Where are you getting this information?
>>
>>25000225
>adhd because some dumb shit doctor said so only to push the pills big pharma made
This was actually a concern I had, but then I found out the pills I'm prescribed are generics (meaning the patent has expired on the drug, so anyone can sell it, with FDA approval of course) from a local CVS, so there's no big pharma company for most of my stuff.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't take tripfags seriously.
>>
>>25000162
Your prospects in life aren't good but that doesn't meen your going to be a neet.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.