[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is baseball the most robot sport? >stats appeal to autists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: baseball.webm (322 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
baseball.webm
322 KB, 960x540
is baseball the most robot sport?

>stats appeal to autists
>normies generally don't watch it, just old people and autists
>can go to a game by yourself and no one gives a shit, just sit by yourself in the top deck
>not dominated by niggers
>>
>>24975564
It is a good robot sport. They try their best to normify it though. rah-rah jump-up-and-down cheerleading sounds whenever someone gets a base hit. Stupid games and crap on the jumbotron in between innings. They really don't want you just sitting back on a nice day, relaxing, and watching the game, they figure it needs to be loud and energetic. This is also a factor in why so many teams try to build lineups full of home-run hitters instead of having better hitters with less power - chicks dig the long ball. Just like how the NFL changes the rules every year to try and discourage defense and encourage passing offense, cause they figure normies want to see big bang-bang plays.

it's annoying
>>
basebore
>>
>>24975767
Maybe American autists who like baseball should try watching cricket.

All the autism of baseball with none of the flare. You really can just relax and watch.
And games can go on for days and days at a time.
>>
>>24975564
No, individual sports like tennis and golf are better for robots.

Other than baseball being unique with the deep statistical analysis and sabermetrics autists like me can get lost into, it's not any different. Normies/old fucks call you nerd for caring about these stats. Attending games are an expensive excuse to get drunk with your friends.
>>
File: 1280.jpg (92 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
92 KB, 900x900
>>24975564
Baseball is the only sport I actually enjoy watching and somewhat follow.
>>
>>24975767
What did the nfl change to encourage passing?
>>
Its hard to really get into any sports.
The ones that would actually work for robots like golf and formula 1, are just for rich people only so you cant really get into it yourself.

The only robot "sport" I can think of, would be lifting.
That's why its popular on 4chan and places like /fit/. I don't lift any weights myself, I just have a pullup bar and that's it, but that board is just filled with losers like us.
>>
Cricket becomes a stats focused game pretty quickly in test form, very consistency and technique based.
>>
>>24976051
They're a lot stricter about babying the quarterback (roughing the passer) and wide receivers (illegal contact, defensive pass interference) and a lot of other stuff in the unnecessary roughness category. (once upon a time a horsecollar tackle wasn't a penalty). Which makes it a lot harder to break up passes, or just make the receiver or QB pay for them by slamming them into the turf. Watch some game footage from the '80s or earlier if you get a chance. "old-time smashmouth football" is kind of a meme among fans, but there's something in it.
>>
File: we anime.jpg (354 KB, 500x699) Image search: [Google]
we anime.jpg
354 KB, 500x699
I've been told I'm pretty robot by someone who like lives on this board irl, and my favorite sport is basketball.

I don't believe another sport exists where one person can just have one super nuts night or streak of nights and totally carry the team on his back 100%. Like Dirk in the 2011 playoffs. Or Steph Curry pretty much any game this year. Or LeBron in game 5 of the 2007 ECF when he scored like 25 points in a row in overtime.

There is something magical and chilling about watching someone give 100% of their body and determination for the sake of competition and pride and just totally embarrassing 9 other players who are supposed to be on the same level as them professionally.

I also played basketbally in middle school and high school too and was very passionate about that.

Basketball > Hockey > Football > World Cup Soccer > Basebore > non-World Cup Soccer > everything else imo.
>>
File: 1438483254979.jpg (321 KB, 1134x1600) Image search: [Google]
1438483254979.jpg
321 KB, 1134x1600
>>24975835
>>24976093
I love cricket, 2nd favorite sport after baseball, but the stats aren't nearly as autistic as baseball, nor are they as relevant. It has a lot of outcome statistics, like any sport, but more to work with. It also has a lot of stats that kind of track the flow of the game, and try to predict the outcome percentages. But as for statistics and data being used to develop strategies in the game itself, it's not nearly as in depth and autistic as in baseball. The sabermetric scene in cricket is definitely not as advanced as in baseball and the potential is limited by a lot of things, like the length of the game, the bowlers relative lack of control, the lack of pitch counts, etc. Baseball has a lot more data to work with in general.

it's comfy though, but sometimes too comfy especially since I don't really have a vested interest in any team. I haven't really been able to get into test matches because of this, mostly watch ODIs

>>24975845
>talking to normies and old fucks
>talking to anyone
games are too expensive now though, only go to a few per season

and of course it still caters to normies getting drunk, but it caters more to robots as well
>>
>>24976310
imo those changes were all necessary to make the game both fairer and safer. I don't think the pass rules favor the offense too much. A defender can still jam the receiver as much as he wants for 5 yards, and interference calls go both ways.
>>
>>24976492
>I also played basketbally in middle school and high school

fuck off tyrone you are no robot
>>
i played baseball growing up. quit high school team because i hated everyone in it and the cliques and whatnot. still follow it. definitely more mental than any other sport. if everyone didn't act like a fucking sporty chad id still do it.
>>
>>24976492
>immediately mention talking about 4chan irl
>knowing other robots irl
>homoerotic description of the sport
>posts with a gay anime image
>shits on the main topic of the thread

Apehoop fans, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>24976894
Hey I've never talked about 4chan irl, I just met someone who came over to my apartment and he saw I had a random tab open I forgot to close and he goes "You know, you always have kind of struck me as a robot.." and I like cringed and told him to not talk about 4chan anymore.

Also, what is homoerotic about anything I mentioned?

>>24976892
What exactly is more mental about baseball than other sports? I played club baseball until I was 17 and played for my shitty high school team as a freshman. Its a very situational sport, yes, but once you understand the situation you find yourself in, 9 times out of 10 there are 3 or 4 possible outcomes to a play, all of which have a very clear best response. Its not like there is a whole lot of match up related strategy that goes on between certain teams or anything.
>>
>>24976954
>
well i was a pitcher, so alot of it was determing the situation, as well as thinking off the pitch sequence i wanted to keep the batter unbalanced as possible. Runners on first (and secomd) less than one out, id try to pitch low in the zone to get a ground ball for a double play.
determining the baserunner situation, coupled with how many outs there were, it was definitely a fun mental process on how to pitch to a batter to determine how i wanted them to hit if i didnt strike them out
>>
Yeah ur right. Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus and FanGraphs are man child central. So many loser turbovirgins
>>
>>24976954
it's not just about knowing exactly what to do in every situation, though that does take mental acuity and quick processing and reaction times.
It's also less reliant on sheer speed and strength than other sports, and more reliant on hand eye coordination and reaction times, which are more mental processes
but the main mental part of the game is in the matchup between the pitcher and batter, both are trying to think a step ahead, it's a very psychological game. The pitcher and catcher have to think about what type of pitch to throw, where to throw it etc, and it all changes depending on the count, the inning, the score, the batter, the baserunners etc. And the batter has to try to predict what's coming.
Baseball also requires a lot of focus and patience, and there's the psychological effects of streaks and slumps. And the ability to forget, particularly for pitchers, baseball is a game that's generally won on mistakes, if the pitcher always executes his pitches perfectly there would never be any scoring unless it's a team of barry bonds'.
>>
>>24977223
>Baseball also requires a lot of focus and patience, and there's the psychological effects of streaks and slumps. And the ability to forget, particularly for pitchers, baseball is a game that's generally won on mistakes, if the pitcher always executes his pitches perfectly there would never be any scoring unless it's a team of barry bonds'.

To be fair, all of this could be said of other sports as well.

Baseball just always felt to me like a flowchart, both when I was playing it and when I have tried watching it.

If you are able to understand the situation, you are about 90% sure you know whats going to happen next.
>>
>>24977297
I guess, but those issues are more pronounced in baseball. streaks and slumps are longer, and a lot of it is just luck based, which can be both frustrating. And the fact that it's an individual matchup inside the team game makes the effects of mistakes and slumps more prominent, since it's just you being shit and losing the game for your team, not the whole team failing to execute plays or something
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.