[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
for all the hype people put on STEM degrees one detail they leave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: Crona.png (760 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Crona.png
760 KB, 1366x768
for all the hype people put on STEM degrees one detail they leave out is if your gpa is below 3.0 it is essentially a useless piece of paper,
I think if I was told that from the beginning I would have dropped out instead of trying to persevere through the program.
>>
>>24905791

>if your gpa is below 3.0
Oh man, that is just the tip of the iceberg friendo.
Add:
>if you have no practical experience in your field
>if you have no international experience to speak off
>if you do not have soft skills
>if you do not have recommendations
>if your fellow applicants are some minorities
>if you did not have some club activities
>if the HR representative did not like your face
etc.

Do not hang yourself up over this, STEM is a field where you will land somewhere where you would never expect. Whats your major?
>>
>>24906005
the major which I pursued and graduated with is electrical engineering.
>>
>>24906005
>>24906108
also no internship because no company I found would intern someone with a gpa below 3.0
professor claimed I could still find work without one
probably a lie so I wouldn't drop out and be one less student paying tuition.
>>
I'm hoping my two paid lab internships and experience in a foreign research lab will help me pass the barrier when I graduate as a biochemical engineer.
>>
Don't worry OP, unless you're a nigger you'll never be able to pay off your loans anyway.
>>
>>24906108

Well electrical engineering is a nice field and not nearly as oversaturated as mechanical or chemical. Honestly I think that every major is pretty much fucked nowadays, it does not matter where you are, you will always flunder in the application process when your stack of papers is thin. Of course it is a bummer that you do not have additional experiences to write about while also having a shit GPA, but I think that if you will keep searching you might find soomething as a graduate and have the opportunity to fill your portfolio.
Of course the first job you might land will be probably only tangentially related to what you learned, but this is the world we live in.
>>
>>24906212

Affirmative action is a meme
>>
>>24906362
> I'm sure
No you are fucking not, you do not fucking know you just fill him with false hope , saccharine lies meant to keep him focused on his sysyphean task. For what purpose? I do not know, but it seems to be the same mindset of people who say any guy can get an attractive gf then ignore that it is statistically impossible for every guy to get an attractive gf.
>>
Just accept your failure and sell meth. Its ok.
>>
>>24905791
What's your GPA phamily?
>>
>>24905791
Get an intership. Jobs couldn't care less about GPA if you have experience, even if its just a couple of months fetching coffee for a big office.
>>
>>24907447

Not always true, we look for at least one summer at a professional internship in addition to high GPA, preferably two summers. No GPA listed for upcoming grads is an immediate red flag.
>>
>>24906362
I graduated a year ago, can't find work or even an internship
>>24907320
>>24907447
>Get an intership.
if I could I would
>>
>>24907642
If you cant get an internship then you need to do projects. You need to do something that you can put in your CV and demonstrates accomplishments.

For example, for programmers, contribute to an open source project. Even if its something stupid like formatting or unit testing.
>>
>>24907786
well the one project ive been interested in doing is using an fpga implemented neural network to do MIPS 32 branch predictions
im pretty sure people have done that though, i just want to see if I could do it on my own,
would that count?
or does it have to be something original or a collaboration?
>>
>>24907447
>Get an intership.
problem is internships require high gpa and paradoxically experience.
>>
>>24908822
Here's a funny story, I just talked to a guy who beat me for an internship last year. He has 10 years of experience working for private sector government contractors.

And this was for a fucking unpaid internship in a county government.
>>
>>24908894
should I just hang myself...?
>>
>>24908930
Do not waste your life, bring as much pain to the normies as possible first if you're going to choose oblivion.
>>
>>24908930
Oh I also forgot the next detail, he's been turned down for 8 job positions so far. And this is a masters program.
>>
>>24909032
>masters
well employers do also reject applicants that are overqualified.
>>
>>24905791
>If GPA is below 3.0

Then you're a goddamn retard.

If just signing up for a STEM degree and then blowing it off for 4 years to go jack off were enough to land you 100k a year, don't you think everyone would do it?
>>
>>24909731
Then why allow someone to stay in the program?
>>
>>24905791
I was in a similar situation. Starting a job as a technician in an IC fab. The low GPA means I have to work my way into an engineering slot.
>>
>>24909055
They were for head of economic development positions in local governments, a masters degree is basically a requirement.
>>
>apply to grad school
>glowing recommendations from three former professors and an employer
>member of subject honor society
>get in only conditionally because my GPA was 2.997
>on academic probation entire first year of grad school despite pulling nothing but A-level work on all classes first semester

can't even get away with rounding in academia
>>
>>24910481
Was that stem?
>>
>>24907642
Kek. My GPA's lower than yours and I got an internship. Git gud faggot.
>>
>>24905791
LOL good luck getting a job u fag

>>24906005
This. Experience, extra curriculars and connections are all that matters.
>>
>>24910480
I've applied to technician jobs with no luck
>>
>>24910434
a student studying for a worthless degree still pays tution
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.