[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you agree with this quote in regards to your job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: 12.png (147 KB, 271x318) Image search: [Google]
12.png
147 KB, 271x318
How much do you agree with this quote in regards to your job or employment in general?

>The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.
>>
Fuck it, I'll get it started then.

>if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation?

This is how I feel. I manage a business for someone else and today I was devising some plans to increase sales and then after a few ideas which would require much more planning and me using my time outside of work I stopped and thought, "What's the point?" There is no tangible benefit to me working harder. I would get nothing more out of it except for a comment that "sales have increased." Literally pointless so I just went back to doing the bare minimum.
>>
>>24852817
I don't have a job but i love that movie.
>>
>>24853119
Did this movie inspire you to stay unemployed?
>>
every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it, so that means that every single day that you see me, thats the worst day of my life
>>
>>24853240
Implying unemployment was by choice
>>
>>24853268
Top kek I love that line
>>
>>24852817
>Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime
That's the key thing. You never see a share of the profits equal to what you put in.

Also, some people get paid by the hour. What incentive is there to work quickly? The faster you work, the less work you have to do. So you'll probably finish earlier, be sent home or laid off because there isn't enough work. They'll only pay you for the hours you work.
>>
File: 1448902902522.jpg (99 KB, 639x960) Image search: [Google]
1448902902522.jpg
99 KB, 639x960
I love the end where he's working construction but just fine with it. It reminds me of a customer I had at my old job. He told me he left his high paying office job for a another job that pays way less just so he doesn't have to deal with the stress. He's way happier now and it felt good to know that you really do have a choice.
>>
>>24852817
Agreed, and 100% the truth, no matter what type of wageslaving you do.

You shouldn't even have motivation to not be hassled, just do what it takes to get paid and don't give a single fuck beyond that.
>>
>>24853334
> choose between being a kek to a corporation
>or a kek to the govt paving streets

There's no way out though desu
Ending was sad to me, cause he still had to have a job when all he wanted was to sleep in and go fishing.
>>
>>24853268
what about today, is today the worst day of your life?
>>
>>24853380
>all he wanted was to sleep in and go fishing.
Then he should get a job where he can do that.
>>
>>24853380
don't forget the kung fu
>>
Don't have a job so...

Oddly enough would totally work pretty damn hard for praise alone.
Actually I some times do since I do volunteer work to build up my resume.
>>
I usually lurk here and always wondered what all the fuss about wagekeks were about up until this week when I got my contract .

You see my company took me to training and an extensive one to get some certs since I'm a graduate . Now when I finally think I had made it, they instead said
> anon, you're now going to do our official grad intern program for 9 months.

The salary I'm going to get is fucking pathetic and this is a corporate company that makes millions, yet I'm over worked to only receive less than what the cleaning lady gets.

reminds me of that wojak meme where his "pepe" boss tells him why he didn't get his bonus the previous year.

It sucks to be a wagekek
> wake up 5 in the morning
> arrive at work at 7:45 so I can start at 8
> only 1 hour lunch
> knock off at 5
> endure traffic
> get home at 7:30
> eat and sleep

this for 5 days of the week and for the rest of life.

at least I have an excuse as to why I'm still single though.
>>
I work at a small business so it is really more that I'm lazy than anything. I don't want the place to lose traffic for my own sake, but I hate when I acutally have to do work. IIRC the Office Space guys worked for a giant corporation.
>>
>>24853514
how much do you get paid? Sounds like they kucked you hard by luring you in with a good job then slamming you with the "official grad intern program" aka we're gonna pay you very little compared to what you're worth
>>
File: 1334943264598.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1334943264598.gif
2 MB, 200x150
Get a government job.
>tfw advocate small government while getting paid big dollars and cushy extras by them

M I S C H I E F
>>
>>24852817
I have a bonus and $250k in stock options. So I have some motivation to not fuck things up.
>>
>tfw temporary christmas warehouse job
>they almost expect you to be running around the place non-stop for 10 hours, picking an inhuman number of items
>pays minimum wage
>tfw pick 10 christmas trees in an hour and each one is worth over 100 great british bongs
>that one hour of work earned the company more money that I would see in a month
Why do we put up with it family?
>>
>>24853417
>A job where you sleep in and go fishing

You probably need a degree and three years experience minimum these days.
>>
it may definitely depend if you're in a position to drive change and improvement, especially if they are visible. as an engineer, for example, i can see visible improvements in seeing my new ideas actually get proven and produce relevant results. the more tangible the fruits of your labor, the more you'll be invested in improving it just for the sake of improvement and satisfaction
>>
>>24853549
How easy is it to do nothing where you work?
>>
>>24853514
i know that feel
>have to wake up at 2:30 so i can arrive at work at 3 am
>clock out at 3 pm
>>
>>24853742
Jesus Christ. Do you at least get weekends off?
>>
>>24853111
isn't this normal behaviour? who the fuck would toil hard in order to get nothing ? unless you are some slave.

but I seriously think people like that exist, they have a slave mentality, but they are unaware of it.
>>
>>24853789
>isn't this normal behaviour?

Probably. It just got me thinking about why I should work harder. I seriously couldn't come up with any reason that benefited me. It only results in my employer making more money and my job is already secure enough that I'm not going to lose it unless I quit. Absolutely no incentive to do more work.
>>
>>24853762
i had saturday off. i also only work 4 days a week
>>
>>24852817
>And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight, Bob.
oh man.
>2 major managers
>3 minor managers
>team lead for my area of the job
>about 5 team leads in FoH that I have to constantly be aware of
yeah. I get paid well enough, since the amount that I actually have to work depends almost entirely by whatever event I'm working at. To make it worse, the manager most immediately above me recently stopped working, and I really liked him. probably the one person who worked most similarly to me.
>>
if they want people to work harder, they need to offer rewards and stuff.

for example, keep track of the work people are doing and once they reach an X number of work completed, they get to go home an hour early that day (obviously). Now think about it from the employers perspective, all you do is give every employee 1 or 2 (or 3 depending on how good the employee is) free hours every month, but in turn, they will be working like 3 or 4 times as hard as they would if they werent given the incentive
>>
>>24853397
Yeah pretty much

Wow thats messed up..
>>
>>24853930
Why offer rewards when you can threaten to take their job away and make them an unemployed bum? There's loads of other people they can bring in.
>>
File: 1445026802031.jpg (98 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445026802031.jpg
98 KB, 640x480
>>24852817
Pretty much this. It sucks when you have to work harder at certain point just to keep your manager of your back. Feeling like quitting anons. But if I don't get into college soon after I will become far more depressed. I don't even know anymore.
>>
>>24853930
>they get to go home an hour early that day (obviously)
Some places do that. They'll make the offer for you to go home early. But they won't pay you for that hour.
>>
>>24854788
>>24853930
a lot of software companies actually do this, and you're salaried so you get paid regardless
as long as you're not missing deadlines or meetings you can basically work whenever you feel like it
most places that have an agile workflow only have short daily standup meetings or weekly scrum meetings too
get your shit done and you can just leave
>>
>>24854876
I heard this was becoming more common. There's a lot of new research emerging that a the 5 day 9 - 5 working week is a bunch of ineffective bullshit.
>>
>>24855007
>ineffective bullshit
I reckon it's more about keeping people off the streets.
>>
File: 5u2uIks.jpg (201 KB, 990x794) Image search: [Google]
5u2uIks.jpg
201 KB, 990x794
> be in a job you hate
> blame other people

Why not go find a job you like?
Something that DOES motivate you?
>>
>>24855130
Nothing motivates me, bro. And no-one will pay me to do nothing.
>>
>>24855130

Wow nobody else ever thought of trying that, I'm sure it's so easy to do and we're all just a bunch of retards who secretly enjoy working soul-killing dead end jobs
>>
Pretty spot on, hell, at my old job I would show up for like an hour and just leave for a while, come back for another hour then leave again just to give the illusion I was there working
>>
File: 1448876156478.jpg (35 KB, 190x380) Image search: [Google]
1448876156478.jpg
35 KB, 190x380
>>24855181
Then the job isn't the problem bruvski. If nothing in life motivates you, then it's not the job that's the problem. I'm not a doctor, but you should go find one.
>>24855193
not-even-bismuth.jpg
>>
>>24855265
Just get drunk and realize how much you TRULY hate life. It sucks. One day after another of unending trudging shit. Waking up and feeling dread at what lies ahead. You may be happy so go spend time being happy. I'll spend my time slowly dying inside from booze and self-loathing, Hopefully one day my existence will mean so little I can end it all.
>>
>>24853380
yeah, but the stapler guy got rich as fuck, which makes it a happy ending for sure
>>
File: 1447835535541.png (663 KB, 550x600) Image search: [Google]
1447835535541.png
663 KB, 550x600
>>24852817
>>24853111

Come on you nigger anons, the other side of the spectrum is being paid only on commission, which turns everything into this insane, high stakes car salesman shit. Hourly wage may seem dickish if your wage isn't high, but if it's satisfactory then it's a great, legal safety net to provide you with a decent income without having to freak out every, single, day that you might come home empty handed.

Hourly wages are job security. Stop being so fucking retarded arcanine
>>
>>24855082
What are people really going to do on the streets which is so awful? It's just an archaic business model that people are to set in ways to try and change.
>>
>>24855596
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't you be paid an hourly wage with commission for meeting certain targets or goals?
>>
Have you not even seen a wagecuk thread? the neets always say this.
>>
>>24852817
Very. But then I have a feeling I actually am lazy as well.
>>
File: 1444987046854.jpg (32 KB, 462x462) Image search: [Google]
1444987046854.jpg
32 KB, 462x462
>tfw everyone around me acts like wageslaving for the majority of your life is totally normal and that i'm in the wrong for not wanting to do it

Is it just me that's fucked in the head?
I'm just going to kill myself if working in offices or retail until the end of my days ends up being my only options desu
>>
>>24852817
Not true in the slightest.

I get paid 50% of what I bill or 65% for after-hours. I'm working 30 hours/week with 18 weeks of annual leave. My boss is a nice guy and a good teacher, I'd say about 50% of the work I do is enjoyable and I took home $150k last year. As far as career goes .. life's good
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.