[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When LARP goes real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: zlarp.jpg (401 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
zlarp.jpg
401 KB, 800x534
>Be me, 16
>Have friend named Santiago who's into UFC
>Big weight lifter, on wrestling team
>Also looking to spar for fun, but everyone is too afraid
>Spar from time to time, always lose
>Over his house on day with fat friend
>Santi wants to spar, no takers
>"Man, I wish there was like a way to spar that didn't hurt"
>Fat friend looks up
>"W-well, there is LARPing"
>"What's that?"
>Fat friend obviously embarrassed
>"I-it's like, you make foam weapons, and spar..."
>Santi is hyped as fuck about LARPing
>Use youtube to find out how to make weapons
>We make swords for each of us
>Have fun sparring with them, I actually manage to win against Santi sometimes
>A few months later, we're 17, fat friend moves away
>We're bored of only sparring with each other
>Santi finds out there's entire groups of LARPers
>Find local one, drive up and bring his 15 year old brother Antonio
>None of these people look like fighters, they're all way too fat or way too skinny
>Funny looking costumes
>Meet 40 something year old Neckbeard
>He helps us join, gives us these character sheets
>"What are these?"
>"You put down all the information for your character on them!"
>Don't really get what's happening, take sheets and go home
>We're pissed about magic being allowed and all these stat bullshit
>According to their rules, the damage of a weapon is determined by spells + it's size.
>The weapons we currently have would do like 10 damage
>In all our matches, it was 1 hit you're done, and that's what we were looking for
>Santi comes up with a plan, we'll all choose the Monk class, because they're unaffected by spells
>Then, we'll make gigantic foam swords to 1-shot everyone
>Also dump all points into HP, fuck everything else
>The sheet says "Your character name cannot be your real name."
>Santi finds a "loop hole" of sorts, makes his name Saint James, the translation of Santiago
>Antonio becomes Saint Tony, I follow as Saint Ty
cont.
>>
cont
>A few days later, we finish our swords
>Each over 6 feet long and 10 inches thick, calculate to find they each do 125 damage
>Next LARP is in a few days
>The sheet says we have to wear clothing that would fit the medieval time period, but jeans are fine
>Go wearing nothing but jeans, boots, and plain black shirts
>Show up with our fucking monsterous swords, people look at us as we pass by
>Go to the "Kings" who run the event to hand in our sheets and have them confirm our sword damage
>All balding 40 something year olds
>They meausure the swords
>"U-uhm, it's not listed anywhere, but there's a 100 damage limit on swords"
>Fine, whatever
>They use red tape to put the number "100" on each of our swords
>Red tape our HP on our shirts, 200 each
>Ask if we have any armor, tell them no
>They nod and tell us where to go
>Meet a big group of people in costumes in a field
>We shoot each other looks and laugh from time to time
>Skinny kid dressed as elf come over to us
>"Ah, hello! You must be the traveling Saints!"
>"Yup."
>"My, what monstorous weapons you've got! You sure you'll be able to use those?"
>"Yeah"
>"Alright, well, our enemies, the Midlanders..." stopped paying attention and don't remember much of what he said
>Eventually, after telling us the life story of every fucking character, he gives us the plan
>We'll gank "The Midlanders" in the middle of their battle in a huge field
>Go through woods, suck at directions and somehow end up at public road
>Wonder for a little longer, eventually find the field
>The Midlanders apparently won, Elf boy is bowing to one of the kings
>They thought we left or something, continued without us
cont
>>
cont
>Since we're on the Windguard's side and still up, it's not over
>It's 3 against 10, "Dead" people clear the field
>Go in, take down 4 guys in about a minute
>Get hit a few times, suddenly someone blows a whistle at me, telling me I'm dead
>I swear I've only been hit like 4 times, but I wasn't really paying attention so I just drop my sword and exit
>Santi picks up my sword, now dual wielding gigantic blades
>Takes 2 more out, hits some fat guy in the face
>Starts flipping out, saying "No face! No face!"
>The "Kings" stop the LARP
>Decide that now is the time to tell us about a "No hitting in the face" rule
>The punishment for breaking the rule is fighting one of the Kings, if you lose your character is dead
>Kings apparently have 500 HP and 500 Armor, weapons do 100 no matter what
>Santi beats him without getting hit
>Suddenly, now the rule is "You have to fight all the Kings"
>Does one on one matches with all 5 Kings, got hit in only 3 of the matches
>They kick us out of the LARP for not taking it seriously

And that's how we came to realize, LARPing is not "Sparring with foam weapons" but is actually cosplaying and getting mad when you lose.
>>
>>24845773
I'm on the edge of my seat
>>
Well I'm sure this will find its way onto Reddit one way or another
>>
Damn, this actually sounds fun as hell.
>>
>>24845790
Thanks for the giggle, anon. Thoroughly enjoyable read.
>>
good read m8
>>
File: 1446666834529.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1446666834529.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
>>24845790
Fucking nerds. I used to know some shitlords in college who were into LARPing and apparently that was prettymuch how it all was. They talked about FIGHTEN and all that other fun stuff, except nobody actually knew how to do battle and got mad the moment they lost. Of course the "leaders" of the bunch were a bunch of fat lazy shits who stopped the whole thing the moment they didnt win. Heard a lot of shit about those guys.
>>
enjoyable OP, honest 6/10
>>
Saint James is my new hero.
>>
>>24845762
Had fun reading this, I fucking love sparring with tubes of conduit
>>
>>24846125
I had a few friends who LARPed when I was in college, we just beat each other with foam weapons on the volleyball sand until one of us gave up. Was pretty fun.
>>
File: continual trigger.png (33 KB, 602x287) Image search: [Google]
continual trigger.png
33 KB, 602x287
>>24845762
>>24845773
>LARPing is not "Sparring with foam weapons" but is actually cosplaying and getting mad when you lose.
What exactly did you expect, man of homosex? If you wanted sparring with non-deadly weapons, find a decent martial-arts school. It's Live Action Role Play, not Live Action Combat Training.

You're like this faggot in my hometown who shows up to paintball matches with a paintball "sword," basically a baseball bat that sprays paint when you hit people, and he runs around hitting people with a baseball bat believing everyone thinks he's so cool and not an asshole.
>>
>>24846855
>If you wanted sparring with non-deadly weapons, find a decent martial-arts school.
He had shit like that, the wooden training swords or whatever they're called, but everyone was too afraid.
What we expected was people using foam weapons to spar because they enjoyed fighting, what we got was a bunch of Autists playing make-believe and wanting to feel cool, then throwing a fit when they lose.

>he runs around hitting people with a baseball bat believing everyone thinks he's so cool and not an asshole.
How the fuck does he even manage to get that close to you without getting gunned down? If he ever even gets close enough to hit you, that's your fault.
>>
>>24845790
So that shitty Paul Rudd movie about being a Big Brother is true.
>>
>you will never LARP with autists
>>
>>24845790
7/10 story

Oc
>>
>>24847254

>LARPer detected
>>
We should create an R9k LARP group
>>
>>24845790
>>24845773
>>24845762
That was one experience. The small group that a friend of mine back in HS did it with was super chill. If anything it was more HEMA fuckery than LARP which was neat.
>>
>>24847646
That's OP you fuckwit.
>>
yeah, you're looking for HEMA really. though there are some LARPs which are more active and combat oriented
>>
>>24847477
That movie had its moments
>>
File: 1403473167110.jpg (810 KB, 1365x2048) Image search: [Google]
1403473167110.jpg
810 KB, 1365x2048
topkek OP, sounds like bullshit I've reading on American LARP communities.

People I used to know got heavily into it and they were so goddamn obnoxious.

What I never understood was that, the invest so much in a character, backstory, weapon, etc. And yet look like they stepped out of a Walmart Halloween isle? Like spend some goddamn time looking authentic at least, like pic related.
>>
>>24848003
>implying she has the strength to be an archer.
>>
>>24845882
A made for Reddit green text?
>>
One of my coworkers who lived in the townhomes across mine did LARP, it was pretty fun. I had a hammer, we'd just smoke and drink and hit eachother with weapons.

Then they stopped asking me to LARP. Then everybody from my work stopped talking to me.

Now I drink alone in my room and try to LARP with my cat. That doesn't work, so I gave up on LARP.

So now I drink alone and shitpost in my room.

Thanks LARP.
>>
this sounds fun as hell but the older you get the weirder it gets. are kids the majority in this?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.