[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you just sell everything and start walking the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 03c5b4_5091334[1].jpg (99 KB, 1350x561) Image search: [Google]
03c5b4_5091334[1].jpg
99 KB, 1350x561
Why don't you just sell everything and start walking the earth, /r9k/? I mean, if you're depressed, if you're suicidal, if there's something wrong with your life, why not start anew?

You can finally take risks now -- with nothing that keeps the average person chained to their life, you're truly free to do everything you ever dreamed of.

You can move anywhere, travel to any country, experience any culture, meet anyone you want. You can become a completely new person, you can reinvent yourself, become a movie star, start a revolution, panhandle in Beijing or busk in Barcelona. Why are you still afraid of living?

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. -- Henry David Thoreau
>>
I'm not suicidal or anything, but I've been thinking about doing something like that for a few years. Maybe buy an rv or something and wander the continent.

The key to happiness is an open mind.
>>
/trv/fag here.

Tempting idea but one that still requires quite a lot of planning and money. I can tell you from experience that perpetual travel gets old after a while. Moving from place to place isn't a unique or enthralling experience when you've been doing it for months on end. Of course, you can keep running from your problems, but many of them will catch up to you whenever you settle down.

Plus, you'll still need to earn an income to pay for food, lodging, and visas. Trying to skate by as a cheapster is a pain in the ass and horrifically time-consuming.

However, I do think that traveling, getting lost in the world, and thrusting yourself into novel situations and environments can do wonders for a person's self-esteem. At risk of sounding cheesy or cliche, my first trip changed my life - I went from being an autistic sperg to somebody who could lose his virginity, start relationships, and be seen as an interesting and compelling person rather than a quiet loner who had nothing going for him before.

Shit, saying that I've been to X number of countries, hate school, and would rather live in a hut in a jungle actually gets me a surprising number of matches on Tinder. Currently have a GF though but still.
>>
File: the light.jpg (65 KB, 464x700) Image search: [Google]
the light.jpg
65 KB, 464x700
is this post satirical? your pic has been discussed many times on this board. The consensus is that the OP has literally no understanding of the mindset of a depressed person.

consider: if it were true that suicidal people believe they have nothing to lose, why don't they kill themselves immediately? The opposite is far more common: "I decided to kill myself years ago, I'm just waiting for the right time/method to do it." This sentiment pops up on this board constantly.

Suicidal people aren't afraid to die, they're afraid to live. And what the pic describes is "LIVING LIFE TO THE MAX BRO!"
>>
Are you retarded? Do you think I want to spend the effort to leave my room and fucking go out in to the world with nothing on my back? Do you think I would want to die if I enjoyed life experiences? Fuck no, I don't want to do shit. I just want to fucking die so shut the fuck up with this bullshit.
>>
>>24678666
>saying that I've been to X number of countries, hate school, and would rather live in a hut in a jungle actually gets me a surprising number of matches on Tinder
wow, whodathunk??

seriously though, I'm considering travelling for an extended period myself. I have a fair amount of money saved up, and I don't plan to leave the country, so I feel fairly safe. My only problem is that I'm bogged down by responsibilities right now, and I'm afraid I won't get a chance to travel while I'm young. Any basic advice? Or should I fuck off to >>>/trv/?
>>
they got a word for that, it's called a bum
>>
>>24678689
suicidal (see: depressed) people, bottom line, don't see meaning in anything life has to offer

their souls are suffering from a lack of purpose, and thus they have given up on life. the result of this is a lack of motivation to do anything, a lack of motivation to live

trying to convince a suicidal person that it's worth leaving the one thing that usually chaining them to being alive (their families), and get up and find the motivation/meaning behind doing all those activities is fruitless
>>
>>24678592
>people not recognizing OP's pasta
>>
File: 1448365670409.jpg (26 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
1448365670409.jpg
26 KB, 599x337
>>24678592
2/10 bait my man
>>
>>24678756
>suicidal (see: depressed) people, bottom line, don't see meaning in anything life has to offer
This is not true, I see meaning in a shitload of things, I just don't have money for any of them.
>>
>>24678592
I actually tried that non-sense. I turned my life around, got a gf, got a job, got into a decent law school and despite all that I'm not happy. I still feel as if I'm just floating in a void.
>>
>>24678748

Please don't fuck off to /trv/, we have a relatively good board and the "tell me if I should travel" threads are incredibly annoying.

The decision is ultimately yours. If you can travel and you want to it and it won't be hurting you in the long run, then do it. I've made a lot of sacrifices to be able to afford going to different places multiple times every year. It's worth it to me, and maybe it'd be worth it to you, too.
>>
>>24678592
I'm not suicidal, but I think the reason suicidal people don't do this is pretty simple. The reason they are suicidal is because they have given up and don't want to try anymore. Whether their reasons for doing this are valid or not, they are not going to have the motivation to plan and pay for all the shit you have mentioned. They can't even muster up the effort to kill themselves, which is honestly a lot more simple and less expensive than buying a plane ticket and going to some other country.
>>
>>24678819
if that were really true, the meaning behind having money itself to attain those things would cause you motivation

but deep down you know money is not going to solve your problems, because you're more intellectual and philosophical than to be so stupidly short-sighted and shallow

suicide and depression are byproducts of an unhealthy soul
>>
>>24678839
thanks m8. I'll respect your board's culture by lurking for a few weeks first.
>>
>>24678890
I don't really think that it's stupidly short sighted and shallow to want to look like a normal person, have a normal social life, be creative and able to finance your projects, etc. And I don't have money for any of that so... yeah.
>>
>>24678902

It's a pretty slow board. People can help you if you have specific questions or destinations in mind. There's just no use in posting a question like, "should i use my money to travel?" when you're going to be getting biased answers.

I'll also take the opportunity to be biased and encourage you to leave the country if you can afford to do so.
>>
>>24678592
i did this

normals wont accept you in the world if you dont do something drastic to display your need for it
>>
File: a man who enjoys life.jpg (448 KB, 2916x1944) Image search: [Google]
a man who enjoys life.jpg
448 KB, 2916x1944
>>24678890
there is an awful trap that lies between ignorance and enlightenment. As you gain more insight into reality, you gain an ever-more-sophisticated understanding of the suffering of man and the meaninglessness of life. It is only through continued introspection that you can emerge from this trough and learn to be happy, to laugh at life.
>>
>>24678937
>leave the country if you can afford to do so
I've considered it, but is it really worth the hassle? The good ol' U.S. of A. seems more than big enough to host a lifetime of adventures. I'm not much of a foodie or a linguist, so I'm apprehensive about traveling in a country where I don't speak the language and the food makes me nauseous.
>>
>>24678983
qft
>>
>>24679058
>mfw this was an original post

wewlad
>>
>>24679021

Honestly, it just depends on you. There's certainly a lot to see and do within the United States. My perspective, however flawed it may be, is that I, as an American, have my entire life for this country. I was born here and I'll likely die here, too. As I get older and saddled with more responsibilities, it won't be as easy for me to take trips outside the States as it is now. Accordingly, I want to see as much of the world as I can before vacation days and children or a wife keep me stuck in one place.

There's nothing objectively wrong with staying put. I can't rationally criticize that decision but can only offer my input and my preferences.

I think that traveling overseas helps you connect more with people and increase your sense of empathy (I know, it sounds corny as fuck but it's true). If you actually take opportunities and do a bit more than your average tourist, you can really increase your self-confidence and expose yourself to a whole bunch of new interests and tastes that you might not have found otherwise. I can read and write in a few different languages, cook a bunch of dishes from across the world, and have tons of stories of the Arab Spring and hitchhiking and working for $3 per hour in developing countries; I know that none of us this makes me a special snowflake, because many people have done the same things as me in the past, but it's enough for me to feel confident and assured.

But really, I think that anybody with enough time and determination can pull away useful lessons from most any large, long, or meaningful experience.

My history and memories justify international travel and I tell myself that it was worthwhile. I think it could be worthwhile, too, but if you're mature and have a preference, I'm sure you could gain just as much from that.
>>
File: guJv1vi.jpg (35 KB, 602x755) Image search: [Google]
guJv1vi.jpg
35 KB, 602x755
Why would I want to be homeless or travel? I hate traveling, I hate feeling uncomfortable. I just want to live in a cozy log cabin away society. I wasn't born a millionaire/genetically gifted so all of life's pleasures are withheld from me.
>>
>>24678931
there was a study done with regards to the correlation between money and happiness. it goes up and improves your quality of life, assuming you live in north america, all the way up to $70k

after that it plateaus and even starts to diminish happiness in those who make a significant amount above median

if you're suicidal and depressed, you'd feel motivation to make at least that amount (which isnt hard), and you'd feel motivation to find a job which provides you happiness and livelihood through trial and error of studying and trying new things
>>
>>24679179
if you weren't suicidal and depressed* i meant to say
>>
>>24678983
there is suffering of man but life is far from meaningless my friend

nihilism is the real trap
>>
>>24679177
>log cabins are any more comfortable
>>
>>24678592
great idea OP i must make a big impact on the world before i an hero...
>hey wait a second if i ALREADY have a gun to shoot myself with why dont i take some others with me? That'll give me a thrill and make me famous!

and thats why columbine happened because of your shitty ass logic op
>>
>>24679267
yeah so what

better than dying quietly alone
>>
>>24679179
>all the way up to $70k
Yeah, currently at around $1k/year and not from North America. With $10k/year I'd be happy forever and I could do all the things with my life that I ever wanted to do. So fuck off, overprivileged cunt.
>>
>>24678592
You need money to do anything
A lot of depressed people have no money
>>
The idea that people who are suicidal don't care about others is ridiculous. Yes, someone whose suicidal should try to go on for those they love. But often part of the reason they're suicidal is that they can't be the person that they think their loved ones deserve.

Man is seemingly the only creature that will devour itself over it's every imperfection. Whether these flaws are real or imagined.
>>
>>24678592
>this is what normies actually believe

Depressed and suicidal people barely have the energy or motivation to get out of bed in the morning. The idea that becoming so miserable that you want to die will somehow flip a switch and turn you into a globetrotting extrovert is so absurd that only a person who's never felt the slightest hint of depression could invent it.
>>
>>24680059
I'm so miserable that I want to die and I have been for about 10 years now, and I'd do everything in the OP if I had money for it.
>>
>>24680106

I hate to break it to you anon, but if you haven't killed yourself after a decade of "wanting to die", you may want to consider the fact that you don't actually want to die.

>I'd do everything in the OP if I had money for it.

So go rob a bank you yolo faggot, lol what's the difference you're just gonna die anyway go live that crazy life that all depressed people would be living if they just realized that the world is their oyster.
>>
Travelling is awesome. Seriously, highly recommended.

But, you can't do it forever (unless you're stupid rich or somehow get a job like that which basically requires being born rich). You get to live some experiences you never expected.

Eventually, you're back to where you were for the vast majority of your time. Ugly, worthless, wageslave. No point to life. You can't avoid depression in this existence. At least I can't.
>>
>>24678592
Because you still need to worry about eating, bathing, shelter, visas, laws, and jail.

You could easily end up imprisoned or tortured, or die a much worse death than if you'd just killed yourself the way you originally intended to.
>>
>>24679126
>working for $3 per hour in developing countries

You mean per day? Per hour is a high wage in developing countries.

>have tons of stories of the Arab Spring

Yeah, then you got the fuck outta there before shit really hit the fan. People who couldn't leave are being raped and beheaded, but at least you've got your dinnertime stories! I fucking hate people like you, you act like you love everyone, but you're actually a naive, vapid faggot.
>>
>>24680597
Someone's jelly lol.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.