[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here travel? More specifically, anyone here travel alone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 1442891384155.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1442891384155.gif
2 MB, 750x750
Anyone here travel? More specifically, anyone here travel alone to random places?

I'm planning a trip alone to seattle. Just gonna grab my camera and spend maybe a long weekend and some days to just explore.

Always wanted to go and it seems like it'd be a decent city for a single/young person to stumble through.

where have you guys gone? where do you want to go? what do you do when you get there?
>>
File: 1433687904434.jpg (137 KB, 1073x467) Image search: [Google]
1433687904434.jpg
137 KB, 1073x467
>>24631970
bumping until travel bros come in
>>
I've had the good luck to travel quite a bit in my life so far. Off the top of my head, I've been in and around the Caribbean, the UK, up and down Italy, Germany, South America, West Africa, Turkey, and most of the lower 48 US. I've always wanted to spend a week or two in Zanzibar, soak in the smells and history for a spell.

As for traveling alone, that's something I've only done very occasionally, and only Stateside (National Parks, trails and such). It's not easy on finances, and (as a covert normalfag) it's also kinda lonely. Getting out and away from others to clear your head is definitely necessary when you're out in the world. But days and days on end with nobody else to share your adventures with gets sad quick.
>>
>>24632343
i think i'd enjoy traveling alone. Just having my experiences and not needing someone else to validate them. There's always the opportunity to meet people when you're there, but i don't think i'd want or need a friend with me to enjoy an experience.

that said, i haven't traveled alone much so i could be dead wrong.
>>
>>24631970
I did Thailand for 3 weeks by myself, moved to Scotland for a year by myself, I was gonna do Costa Rica by myself but cancelled the trip due to money issues....

I like traveling solo. All the pee breaks are YOUR pee breaks.
>>
>>24632684
what was thailand like?

do you work?
>>
Traveled alone through a lot of Europe for a few weeks. It was pretty fun. There are times when it's great to be alone. E.g. going somewhere only you'd be interested in, taking your time somewhere instead of feeling rushed, solo walks, etc. Other times it gets lonely and you'd appreciate a shared experience or a friend to have a meal or drinks with.

Meeting people to share activities with (mostly drinking) was hit-or-miss for me.
>>
>>24632672
>i think i'd enjoy traveling alone. Just having my experiences and not needing someone else to validate them. There's always the opportunity to meet people when you're there, but i don't think i'd want or need a friend with me to enjoy an experience.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it validation as much as just having another set of eyes and opinions. I know plenty of people who've had great times abroad while traveling alone. But I've had more retarded and hilarious overseas adventures than I can count thanks entirely to my friends and my dad being my friends and my dad. Chased through Cuzco by angry drunks? Accidentally roped into art smuggling and election fraud in Nigeria? Nearly blown up by unexploded ordnance off Key West? Most of those were the result of my friends, my dad, or I being dumbasses/too smart for our own good/being piss drunk at the time. Traveling alone kinda negates that chemistry and capacity for the weird and the retarded to happen.

Nature, however, is really awesome to experience alone. It clears your head, gives you time to think outside the internet and the indoors, widens your perspective on just about everything. Again, this is a mostly normie perspective, take it as you will. But traveling alone in a city, I think, kinda wastes the potential of both the city and traveling alone.

Still. You do you, OP.
>>
It sounds like you've never met anyone in your life with whom you share a connection with.
Like most on this board.
>>
>>24631970
>I'm planning a trip alone to seattle. Just gonna grab my camera and spend maybe a long weekend and some days to just explore.
If you're not attractive and not younger than 25 or so, prepare to get hassled and get in all sorts of trouble.
>>
>>24632887
Im a bartender. A lot of STEM fags might make fun of me but when you move as much as I do it means there is always work.
>>
>>24633425
>It sounds like you've never met anyone in your life with whom you share a connection with.
I have, and then she found a local guy and I'm nothing again.
>>
>>24633425
i have, and then she joined the peace corps.
>>
>>24633557

sounds great. kind of jealous, but i roped myself into an office job.
>>
I've traveled to a few places. Most interesting was I spent some time sailing around the South Pacific with a relative, and then went my own separate way and had an adventure for several months.
>>
>>24631970
Seattle's a good city to do alone, in my opinion. The harbor (Fisherman's Wharf or whatever it's called, and the surrounding harbor areas) are fun to see even without socialization, it's a cosmetically-appealing city, and most places have good food/beer for decent (for touristy places) prices.

I really love the coast, any coast honestly but Seattle has some truly beautiful coasts and harbors. If you can, go to Boeing Field too -- some really cool autist-interest (i.e. cool engineering/technology) stuff in the museum there. Possibly the coolest museum I've ever been to.
>>
I've traveled to Sweden once. I want to do it again and I always try to plan mini trips around the state.

I might be going to New Zealand next year. Who knows.

It would be cool to plan a trip with other robots.
>>
I live in Vermont and I've gone up to Montreal for no real reason. Enjoyed being able to drink legally and got shitfaced everyday. Bought weed from a black guy in Mont Royal, cold copped speed, hung out with some crack heads trying to buy some pills, narrowly avoiding getting busted by metro cops, got ripped off trying to buy Dilaudid from someone else, and pissed off a lot of frogs by only speaking English. 7/10 trip.
>>
I've been backpacking for 5 years now. Let me know if you want to know anything.
>>
>>24635728
Not OP but..

What would be the best place for a beginner?
>>
>>24635759
South East Asia for sure. Established backpacking scene so you won't feel too out of place, getting around is easy and things are cheap.
>>
>>24631970
You edgy Dark Eldar bitch. Why haven't you been on skype in months? Have you blocked me?

You never told me who your "mentors" were
>>
Way to poor to travel and shit.
Most I do is explore different parts of my city.
>>
>>24635782
Thanks, travelbro
>>
>>24631970
been travelling alone for the past year. In Germany right now

somehow I remain hikikomori even though I travel everywhere
>>
>>24635604
I really want to check out the museum when i go, so that's some great encouragement. I also think some of what you said about the overall feel and imagery of the city would make for some great photography to practice on.
>>
>>24635654
Always wanted to go to New Zealand, need to get my shit together and have my passport renewed before I can start looking overseas.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.