[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Really wanting a certain position
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
>That feel when you have a test on Wednesday that will determine if I move up for consideration for a government job with a pretty decent salary and benefits

I'm fucked, Robots. I really want this job - I need this. It's the only chance I have right now of rising above the truly shit-tier 'job' I have. But I'm scared. There are two reasons I am afraid of this test: the scope of the exam (whatever it may be), and my own tendency for procrastination/laziness.

The agency doesn't tell what the test will be about, just tells me to look at job duties. But there is so much - for example, just the first bullet says "use and apply knowledge of federal, state, and local workplace laws". A subject like that would take a few university semesters to cover. And yet, the job requirements said only a Bachelor's was needed in a field like Public Admin. or Industrial Safety (which I possess).

I want this job so much more than anyone could imagine, and yet I can't see myself passing it. If by some miracle, I were to pass it, I would be able to finally have enough money to move out of my parent's; I'd have a prestigious job with the chance to move up. I could tell my current job at his shitty company with the crap wage to fuck off.

God-damn it, Robots, I don't think I'm going to make it.
>>
Call it ignorance but if you think like that you're much more likely to fail than you would if you weren't anxious
>>
File: barbara2.jpg (9 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
barbara2.jpg
9 KB, 236x236
>>24630730
That's what they all tell me, Robot - but how can I avoid being so anxious? My life hinges on me passing this test, don't you see? It's my path out of Robothood. If I fail, then I will have lost the only chance I have of getting anywhere ahead for the time being.
>>
>>24630239

well anon, you just have to accept that you can only do the best you can do. i highly doubt they expect you to know every aspect of workspace laws at every level. since you have a degree in industrial safety i'm guessing you've covered them fairly extensively, so work with what you've got. review them and make sure you can recall details about what you know.

the stress of getting a job is tough. i'm in a similar boat, interviewing for my dream job later this week. you can't psych yourself out about what you don't know, because then you won't be able to effectively communicate what you do know. make sure you have a good grasp on those things and do your best. even if you don't pass it's not the end of the line, you can always improve and try again later, and then at least you'll have a better idea of what you need to do to get there.
>>
File: Nino Ferrer.jpg (394 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Nino Ferrer.jpg
394 KB, 1024x1024
>>24630946
No, my apologies for the error in grammar, but I do not possess a degree in Industrial Safety - I possess a degree in Public Administration. We never really went over any safety - mostly, it was some public finance here, some bureaucratic laws there, occasionally some statistics, and politics and constitutional study to tie it together.

And yes, it is the end of the line if I don't pass. I think it might push me enough to kill myself. Since I graduated from university, not one single government entity - local, state, or federal - ever even gave me so much as an interview or a test. I would just send in apps, and they'd disappear, and I'd never hear from them again. After uni, I was a NEET for 8 months, before getting the shit job I currently have in the private sector (I get paid $9.50/hr, you bet I hate it) as a clerk.

This, this one application is the only one that's ever gotten back to me. But I can't brush the feeling off - I always have bad luck, and this will probably end as I expect it - badly.
>>
>>24631058

it's not the end of the line unless you choose to make it that. it can be difficult to process multiple rejections when you're looking for a job because you're limited to your own perspective. you want a job, and they're not giving it to you. from their perspective, if you're not getting an initial response from your applications, that means you're not qualified for the position at the moment. i've been on several interview committees, and the only applications we throw out before a phone interview are the ones that don't meet the minimum requirements for the job. it wouldn't be good for us to hire them, but it wouldn't be good for them either because it's not where they need to be at that point in their career.

this one though, you did meet their requirements, and now you have to take a test to show that you do actually know some stuff. everyone has weaknesses in their application, anon. the best you can do is try to minimize those as much as possible. so wikipedia the shit out of workspace laws, figure out how they work and how federal/state/local fit together so you can speak intelligently about it at a high level, you don't have to stress too much about details. your strengths will be displayed on other parts of the test.
>>
File: 'Self Loathing'.jpg (87 KB, 642x960) Image search: [Google]
'Self Loathing'.jpg
87 KB, 642x960
>>24631412
The fact that I met their requirements is less than encouraging: since the only requirement was possession of a Bachelor's degree, I am sure there will be many other applicants as well, further diminishing my chance.

>so wikipedia the shit out of workspace laws, figure out how they work and how federal/state/local fit together so you can speak intelligently about it at a high level

Do you know how big the codebook of regulations is? Just the state codebook for Texas is some 500 pages thick of tiny text, and the federal one even bigger; I don't even know if there is a local codebook. Second, that thing about the "workplace laws" is only the first bullet: there's a bunch of others, like "know accident-investigating methods", and so on and so on. I don't even know what water utility (that's with whom the position is) "accident-investigating methods" are, Google doesn't give anything.

I'm so fucked, I don't want to do this because I keep realizing more and more I'm not going to get this job.
>>
>>24631663

if you're going to be expected to know all 500 pages of tiny text you haven't read at this position, are you sure you really want this job? honestly it sounds like you're trying to go in a new direction when you might be a top candidate somewhere more along your path.
>>
File: Barbara.jpg (55 KB, 640x419) Image search: [Google]
Barbara.jpg
55 KB, 640x419
>>24631755
>if you're going to be expected to know all 500 pages of tiny text you haven't read at this position, are you sure you really want this job

Yes! Because it is so incredibly difficult to fire a bureaucrat once they're hired. And it's just that I've never had a stroke of good luck before, I feel like it's a trap set up by God/Fate/the Universe - IT wants me to get my hopes up by thinking I have a chance, only to find out I failed and didn't even come close. Despite disappointment being a constant in my life, it feels just as bad everytime
>>
>>24631835

i work with a guy who is 100% out of his depth at his position, and it's not good for anyone working with him. i'm not sure how he got the job, let alone past the initial screening. let's just say you might know real misery knowing it will take years to catch up to what is expected, and even if they are patient with you it's going to take real motivation to work years to be functional at your job.

that said, good luck on your test anon. hope things work out well for you.
>>
>>24631835

is this really you're ideal job brobot? even if you wouldn't get fired easily, is it still what you want
>>
File: Georges Brassens.jpg (60 KB, 876x584) Image search: [Google]
Georges Brassens.jpg
60 KB, 876x584
>>24632376
It's not my 'ideal' job, but it would literally put me so much closer to achieving my actual 'ideal'; besides, I studied to work in the government sector, not to slave away in the kike private sector. I want the job.

The pay is decent - Hell, it's a salary -, especially considering what my current wage is. I get benefits, and good ones; I get the prestige of being a bureaucrat.

YES, I WANT THE JOB
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.