[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I find out what religion I should join? I don't believe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 147620.jpg (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
147620.jpg
47 KB, 400x400
How do I find out what religion I should join? I don't believe in a god but can't deny that a supra dimensional being might have created this universe to power his car.
So I'm looking for more of a philosophy to know what people with similar believes believes I have wrote.
>>
File: radical taoism.png (793 KB, 737x659) Image search: [Google]
radical taoism.png
793 KB, 737x659
TAOISM
A
O
I
S
M
>>
explore multiple religions. i would highly recommend visiting a hindu or buddhist temple and inquiring about spirituality. they tend to be extremely open about self enlightenment, and won't feed you a bunch of shit of what they think you want to hear trying to get you on board the way the abrahamic faiths will. they're ancient, evolved, and genuinely care about you finding what you seek, so i personally think they're the best place to start.

outside of that, just go take some long and thoughtful walks in nature. in my personal experiences, i feel the spirit of a higher being when i'm surrounded by the immensity of mother nature and reflect on my own insignificance within it. no structured religion has taught me more about my own human spirit than the church of the open forest.
>>
>>30006224
Traditional yoruba faiths from west africa would be my pick.
>>
>>30006283
Taoism is the true robot religion.I love reading Taoist philosophy.
>>
try reading a book or several

religion isn't some club you join just cuz it sounds like something u might believe in maybe

also the universe wouldn't power shit it's a closed system no power in or out
>>
>>30006224

find it out
>>
>>30006224
Hindu is the oldest religion it's the only non meme religion make the right choice choose hindu today
>>
File: wise words.jpg (88 KB, 534x400) Image search: [Google]
wise words.jpg
88 KB, 534x400
islam is the only real religion nowadays
>>
>i don't believe in a god
Then why? So you can be yet another '''''spiritual''''' poser?
>>
>>30006396
Hinduism doesn't require you to do much...you can pretty much do anything you want (except eating beef). It's more of a culture than an actual organized religion with fixed rules to follow like Islam, Christianity etc.
>>
>>30006450
Yeah
Due to the complexity and amount of Scripture in Hinduism there is no one definitive literature that most people say form "Hinduism" except I guess kinda the vedas and bhagavad Gita but nobody actually reads those as far as I know

The priests memorize something that they read during rituals at the temple but idk what the fuck they are saying

Also I'm pretty sure vegetarianism is more cultural than religious, many Hindus eat beef

idk Hinduism is cool because they give you food at the temples every time you go lol
>>
>>30006515
Are you hindu? I am...all I do is celebrate the festivals, lol.
>>
>>30006348
I know, I don't even plan to join official. But there's so much to life, single person can't figure out in a lifetime. Also, maybe it feeds on entropy. Idk man, that was a Reddit & Morty reference.

>>30006283
>>30006346
Sounds pretty good to me. I found I disagree to in the first paragraphs of some info site.
>>
>>30006555
*nothing to disagree
>>
eat mushrooms you will find God straight up, met him on a beach once.
>>
>>30006224
pick the one you think is real, not the one you like or agree with the tenants of

>>30006283
good pick
>>30006586
better pick
>>30006420
best pick
>>
>>30006224
Hinduism is about getting in touch and worshiping the being that reality itself emanates from in their philosophy. It is dissimilar to western concepts of a god. The god of Hinduism is much more transcendental and all loving, and yoga is the way to get in touch with him. Yoga is a very broad term, and refers to many types of meditation and mental training. You'll find the practices certain have an effect, and their goal is union, hence what yoga means in translation.

The buddhists basically use derivatives of yoga, but don't believe in a god that things emanate off of, but rather a universal underlying reality. They believe our minds are too clouded to receive this reality, and through yoga and eradication of ego and selfishness we can reach understanding of it beyond words.

Meditation is lovely, it really has strong effects, this is coming from someone who used to trip on a lot of psychedelics and stuff. Let me tell you, yogic experiences get fucking wild, and they come with a general increase in stability and clarity of mind. I have done over an hour sessions, and as you do it and reach deeper states through longer sessions with a more trained minds, you will find there is something to it.

Me? Personally I love what the yogic practices due to my mind, and I read up on buddhism and hinduism both. I am letting the practices and the changes they enact in me guide me to whatever I end up believing, but right now I just like yoga as a way of life. It's very much an intensification of experience, seeing through grasping we get caught in, and developing a sense of enjoying existed and opening the mind.
>>
>>30006534
Yeah I'm hindu my parents bring me to the temple sometimes and I listen to them for the rituals and shit but I have no clue wtf is going on lmao, they did kinda explain to me the history of the various holidays / festivals

Honestly I kinda wish my parents involved me more in Indian culture, they didn't even teach me their language (telugu) or anything

I think the Hinduism the guy above me is describing might be pretty different from the Hinduism most Indians practice... I think cultural Hinduism is not very much like a religion at all, more just the cultural practices and rituals of Indians
>>
>>30006612
I beg you pardon, I meant "tenets" like doctrine, not "tenants" like occupants
>>
>>30006620
Somebody doesn't understand Christianity, kek.
>>
>>30006656
Well there are still demigods, which were largely local gods that got incorporated. It's still not polytheistic in the sense that there is an ultimate god and those gods are aspects of him in different forms.
>>
Taoism is the best religion for robots probably, it's also less bogged down by memers like buddhism
>>
>>30006688
Did you even read his post? He didn't say anything about Christianity, didn't even use the word once
>>
>>30006620
Hmm. Hinduism sure seems to value personal freedom and a healthy mind. But I can't agree on their beliefs of reincarnation which would rely on an absolute measurement of good and evil. And also don't believe in any kind of soul, just what my emotions, knowledge and instincts make out of the moment.
Correct me where I'm misinformed.
>>
File: descarga (31).jpg (6 KB, 193x261) Image search: [Google]
descarga (31).jpg
6 KB, 193x261
>>30006224
Mormonism is the ultimate redpill
>>
>>30006755
>western religions
Almost always refers to Christianity, for some reason, despite it originating in the East.
>>
>>30006702
There are no strict set of "gods"...these gods vary from place to place, culture to culture based on folk stories, local customs etc. That's why I said that hinduism is more of a culture than an actual religion.
>>
>>30006777
Yeah that is the basic belief, it is still faith based in a lot of ways. Buddhism is more like do this and experience this, and wants to take you point to point through personal experience and understanding.
>>
>>30006797
Middle east...like islam and judaism, it spread to the west so yeah, western religion.
>>
>>30006810
I mean the bagdava gita is considered canon and states that there is one god from which others come from, I suppose if the sect dosen't consider that canon it may be more the way of a folk tradition.
>>
>>30006797
"east" in this context usually means india/china

the middle east is still much closer to europe culturally, racially, and historically than it is to india or east asia

the israelites had been exposed to europeans (mainly greeks) for centuries before christianity developed
>>
>>30006824
>it has eastern origins
>NOPE IT EXISTS IN THE WEST SO ITS CLEAAAAAAAARLY WESTERN
>>
>>30006851
So has India and China.
>>
>>30006797
I guess occidental vs oriental would be a better term. Though the two do get blurry around the middleastern cultures, especially the ones that descended into india.
>>
>>30006886
Yeah, India had contact with the greeks. Alexander the great, Megasthenes.
>>
>>30006923
So Judaism is Western but Hinduism is Eastern despite both being geographically Eastern and having roughly equal exposure to the West (the rest has barely any relevance, who cares if they're caucasoids)
>>
>>30006953
Not that guy. Western and eastern are just words with broad definitions now. It even changes depending on your map. I wouldn't even try to argue about this.
>>
>>30006953
Perhaps Western isn't a good term, I think it's better to differentiate religion with the terms abrahamic and non abrahamic
>>
Become a Christian and seek Jesus the most perfect human to ever exist. His enlightenment can save you from the path of darkness.
>>
>>30006923
Alexander the great was captivated by a yogic ascetic even. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalanos
The man emulated himself on the funeral pyre without flinching after telling alexander the great that he would meet him in babylon (where he died), despite it being years before and there being no plans to take babylon at the moment.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.