[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you feel like you've lost most of your visual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_1859.jpg (182 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1859.jpg
182 KB, 1600x1200
Do any of you feel like you've lost most of your visual imagination?

I remember having a very vivid imagination as a kid, but now I find it difficult to visualize anything. How do I fix this?
>>
You don't. Since you didn't use this ability enough it got pruned during your puberty. Better luck in your next life :^)
>>
File: finger.jpg (26 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
finger.jpg
26 KB, 495x495
>that pic

the age of the roastie is at its end
>>
>>29970931
I know exactly what you mean. I can clearly remember being about to vividly visualize scenarios using my imagination when I was a kid. Sadly, I think the only real way to get it back is to cease consuming modern media. Books are very good as you end up visualizing what is written. But yeah, books, radio plays, and just general daydreaming should give it a bit of a boost at least. I usually use it to drift off to sleep, when I'm comfy I'll imagine something random and string it out into a story I tell myself and before I know it I'm dreaming.
>>
>>29970931
I won't pretend to know your life, but read more fiction. Watch less TV/anime/Netflix/what have you, play less video games. Those are feeding the images to you.
Read every day. Periodically, try to imagine a scene. It's like a muscle. It'll get easier every time. Not by much, and you're not likely to notice any improvement quickly, but it'll improve.
Five months of doing this and you'll have an easier time than you did today. It may still be difficult, but that can be solved by doing it more.
If you live in a safe area, go for a walk on a cool day or night by yourself at least once a week. I'd say every other day would be an ideal goal, if not every day. Don't use your phone for anything except emergencies or incoming calls.
You need to train your mind up again. In a way, computers and smart phones do the visual thinking for you, so your brain doesn't really bother honing and maintaining a skill that you don't use frequently.
>>
>>29970931
Read more books, less internet and vidya.
>>
>>29971113
I appreciate the advice, I'm trying this out starting right now.
>>
>>29970931
Incorporate your other senses into visualizations i.e. try to think about how the thing you're imagining would smell, taste, feel, sound...instead of just invoking visual imagery. Flesh it out in your mind until it's as real as a memory from your past.
>>
>>29970931
You can mitigate it by watching less movies, playing less vidya and by reading more. Also listen to the audibooks and visit nature often.

However, the whole process of "losing imagination" is tied to aging anyways.
>>
>>29971285
you can imagine smell taste and feel? I have never been able to do that. I can only get feel in dreams, taste and smell I've never imagined as far as I can remember.

sound is no problem at all
>>
>>29971363
I can usually do sound or other people voices, and sometimes kinetic (ie being able to feel as if you were touching something that isn't there), but vary rarely taste or full blown vision. These visualisations as I call them are a hell of a lot easier when on psychedelics of course
>>
>How do I fix this?

Psychadelics.
>>
>>29971393
>>29971414

Part of the reason I made this thread is because psychedelics reminded me of how imaginative I was as a kid.

To be honest I hate taking them, I think they do more harm than good, but the imagery I see while tripping is as vivid as real life and completely breathtaking.
>>
>>29970931
Find a setting that helps your brain get in gear. When I was younger I visualized while relaxing with my eyes closed, now for some reason I find it easier with my eyes open and while doing something mindless/repetitive like driving or cooking.
>>
>>29971452
they can be a powerful tool for change if you use them right. It's about not taking them lightly and not treating your trip as a recreation. I have fond memories of taking shrooms and walking around the park at dusk contemplating my life in relation to the world around me, all my anxiety and depression melted away for about 6 months after that night. Of course, you can't undo years of damage straight away, but it's good to get a head start.
>>
>>29971452
I've found psychedelics and weed completely kill my visual imagination (or at least my control over it), even at really low doses. For me, visualization takes calmness and concentration, which I can't maintain while high. BUT it makes it easy for me to write out my stream of consciousness, so if I'm feeling creative on drugs I'll type up a brainstorm and look at it later to stimulate ideas for creating visual art.
>>
>>29971494
I'm just coming out of my two-year long 'acid phase', I seriously believed that acid was changing my life for the better and that I was so much more different and liberated than I used to be. But after a lot of thought I realized that when the acid is out of your system, nothing really changes, except for the fact that you think something has changed.

Acid only makes you think you're different, it doesn't make you different.
>>
>>29971363
Reach out to an object around you that's close enough to the texture you're trying to imagine, and use that as a jumping off point.

Let yourself get a little hungry and then imagine the smell and taste of a really pungent food filling your nose and mouth. Or, imagine you'll never be able to eat your favorite food ever again, and recall it in your mind longingly/nostalgically.

When you're out of practice, tricking yourself with little aids like this can help.
>>
>>29971601
oh I agree completely, I've got a friend going through this at the moment, he thinks acid is "truth" and doesn't understand that whilst it might show you some glimmers of the truth it's mostly just feeding your receptors random information from your subconcious.

Shrooms are an entirely different beast to acid. I've tried mescaline but didn't dig it too much. 25i-nbome is just a fantastic visual trip. DMT is next on my list.
>>
>>29971683
Bomes were so fucked, I bought 50 tabs after my first time doing them, and I threw them all out after my 5th time doing them.

I had these mix tabs of 25i-nbome and 25c-nbome, man those things really send you to another planet
>>
>>29971657
I never thought to do something like that, gonna try today
>>
>>29971746
that sounds fuckin nuts bro. I just had 1 tab and that was enough for me, had a great trip. Friend took 2 and said it was way too intense
>>
>>29971963
Yeah it always felt like I was dying on the come up.

My worse trip I walked 7 miles through hell. I seriously thought I was dead, and I thought the music I was listening to was a god trying to get control over my soul.

very stressful, would not recommend.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.