[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Robots, have you gotten your GED? Are you working towards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 2761.jpg (2 MB, 3000x1457) Image search: [Google]
2761.jpg
2 MB, 3000x1457
So Robots, have you gotten your GED? Are you working towards a vocational certificate? That shit takes like a year, and in the US at least, the Pell Grant will cover most of the cost. Learn a trade, get a real job! A lot of publicly funded technical colleges offer networking, electronics, web dev, game dev, or the more traditional plumbing, welding, electrical, auto work.

I implore you, it is usually a year, sometimes more, sometimes less. But it can catapult you forward. Check what your local school system has, and if nothing, check the next one over. Don't fall into the UTI, ITT Tech nonsense. The public school offerings are just as good.
>>
I personally did the welding program. I knew absolutely nothing about welding going in, as I was more of the sweaty nerd type, but never wanted to make a career out of computers like everyone in my family assumed I would.

I learned a lot, and this skill is valuable. The welding workforce is aging, it needs young people. Most of the trade professions need young people. It's a great alternative to college in terms of time, money, and interaction with people, as it takes a lot less of all 3.
>>
>>29969054
Wait, so you're telling me I can go into one of these colleges essentially for free, likely with no crippling dept hanging over my head for most of the rest of my life? (Not to say no dept, but not crippling and eternal)
Tell me more.
>>
>>29969162
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's actually pretty incredible they don't teach you this in high school.

I did it with a pell grant. The way that works is if you're poor, the government will give you so much a semester. I don't remember the exacts, but it's along the lines of $3000-$4000. The school will automatically deduct the cost of tuition, and then they just give you a check for the rest of the amount. It's usually around $2000 after they deduct it. You can get the supplies you'll need for class, and then still have a lot left over. I ended up getting a $2,800 car with my Pell Grant (I paid for it over the two different semesters, as I didn't get enough from one semester to pay for it.)

But the way that works is, you have to complete the semester, with a high enough grade, it's like a 70%-80%. A reasonable passing grade, with good attendance, 90%.

But, if you do not meet those qualifications, you have to pay it back. But if you do, then you never have to pay a dime back to the government.
>>
So here's basically how it will go. You'll find the program you want, and you go to the front office of the school, I believe they'll be open during summer, (I can only speak from my school's experience). Tell them you want to sign up for such and such program.

If you have a high school diploma, you're set. You can meet with a guidance/admission person and get signed up, assuming there's spots available. Don't wait until just before the semester starts. People will have been signing up since last semester.

If you have a GED, you'll have to take the TABE. The Adult Basic Education test. It's a super easy test that shows you're not a moron. It is extremely easy.

After you take the TABE, you can make you appointment with the admissions person, and get signed up. Mention you need financial aid, and they'll set you up a meeting with the Financial aid officer. Likely, they'll tell you to go to FAFSA.gov and fill out that application, which will tell you what you're eligible for, but I'm sure they're willing to help you through that process also, I know my school had computers in the front reception area just for financial aid.

You'll get your check shortly after the semester starts. If you can't afford the supplies before school starts, don't worry about it, plenty of people don't have their supplies and are waiting on their checks.
>>
>>29969202
>>29969330
That actually gives me a fair amount of hope for my future. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to explain this to anonymous strangers.
Now to just get over my social anxiety long enough to use this information.
>>
You don't need any knowledge on the subject of the class you're taking going in. They get people who are completely clueless. One of the biggest things with welding was "Do you know how to read a tape measure?" Because that shit is important. It seems basic, but a lot of people don't. And you need to be able to measure. And they don't judge. My instructor had been there 33 years, he had seen it all. I told him up front I knew nothing going in. He was incredibly helpful.

But the way I saw it was this:

I could take a year and do the welding program. If I decided I hated it at the end, I had lost no money, and only lost a year, which is not much, and I would not have been doing anything anyway. And then I could try another program.

So I do recommend giving it a try.
>>
>>29969413
Yeah, man. There is not enough information letting people know that this is out there. But it's easy, cheap, and just incredibly valuable.
>>
>>29969054
I have a GED as well as a 2 year and a 4 year degree.

Still a neet.
>>
>>29969622
Yeah, it is still tough getting out there. I understand. But I did want to try and help those who didn't feel like they had options before.
>>
I also just wanted to bring up the point, is no matter what your situation is, no one is going to care. You see every type of person there. There was a 4'9" 70 year old asian man there learning plumbing so he could plumb the buildings he managed. There were adults just trying to break into a field for the first time, there were teenagers, kids in their 20s, I had a 28 year old single mom who had felonies from drug trafficking. High class, no class. Everyone is there, so don't worry about that.
>>
>>29969857
It's almost like there might be hope after all.
>>
>>29969879
There is definitely hope, my friend.
>>
I just want to bump this so a few more people can see it, I'm open to questions if anyone has any.
>>
>>29970125
Do you happen to know anything about getting over social anxiety?
>>
>>29970150
A therapist can help better with that.

You just have to remember that no one cares, really. Social interactions have very little consequence in general. Especially with strangers, since as soon as they're gone, they get deleted from the world.

People are too wrapped up in their own selves to really care or think about other people TOO much.
>>
>>29970150
You should learn what The Spotlight Effect is and how it misshapes your perception of your own actions.
>>
Bumping this because I agree, Trade skills are at an all time low because highschools get funding based on 4-year attendance, so public school systems are intentionally underplaying these career tracks despite how needed they are and how well they fit for people who just want a simple skill to live off of.
>>
>>29970247
Absolutely. The message I got all throughout high school was "you have to go to college" they don't tell people about these options.

Pretty much all of these programs you can get hired right out of school, that's what they're designed for. And a lot of places recruit from the schools, and hire at at least $10. I know for welding I started at $15 an hour.
>>
So when I was in college I intentionally took a too-heavy course load then dropped the extra classes. The school considered those dropped classes as failed and I lost eligibility for loans or whatever for lack of academic ability. Now to return to school I would have to pay an assload of money for a semester up front (impossible) and pass all my classes (very easy), but I can't get the money. It's not possible to earn that much with minimum wage. Am I just barred from education forever now because of this? Should I call the school and ask them what the fuck can I do? I tried explaining what happened when I was dropped but they brushed me off assuming I was just another dumb nigger looking for a free ride.
>>
>>29970385
I don't believe that it would affect your ability to go to trade school. This is a question that they could answer better at your local technical college, but from what I understand, it should be separate. I would recommend going down and talking to them, I'm sure they can figure something out for you one way or another.
>>
File: 3cCFthy.png (806 KB, 1111x1007) Image search: [Google]
3cCFthy.png
806 KB, 1111x1007
just giving a friendly bump for you anon
>>
Is welding a good profession for an incompetent person?
>>
>>29970515

You'll learn the skills you need to be good at it. It's a practice thing, I feel. You just have to keep doing it and you'll get better and better at it.

Other than that it's just measurements and grinding. If you can measure and cut on the line you measured, you can do it.
>>
Thank you pell grant I have a Diploma in Liberal Arts. I'm a lonely poor robot that was to anxious to finish school and having a wagecuck job made me suicidal. Now I just collect neetbucks. To bad there is no rehabilitation centers for people with work anxiety in my area. This country can't even help veterans metal health issues no less the public's.
>>
How do you avoid letting any sadness and/or depression leak into your social and work life?
>>
Why would I want a job?
>>
>>29970802
It's hard. But when you find a purpose, it gives you something to work towards. It's all about finding purpose. It's easy to feel lost and spiral when you're purposeless. But finding purpose and living up to that is very rewarding.
>>
>>29969202
My problem is that my father made over 6 figures before he lost his job, therefore I don't qualify for pell grants because I'm too "rich."
>>
Got my ged this year and have been thinking about going to college or trade school. Haven't made up my mind but I'm leaning towards trade school because I remember next to no algebra
>>
>>29970858
That is a bitch. See what they can do for you at the financial aid office. There are still various scholarships you may be eligible for. It's worth a shot.
>>
>>29969054
Got my GED, learned how to break beef with no prior knowledge. That's what apprenticeships are for. Now I'm a journeyman and it's pretty good
>>
>Learn a trade
lol. At one point i was jealous of everyone from my HS who made the decision to get an apprenticeship for a trade instead of college. But there's been enormous cuts to the trade industries and literally EVERY one of them has lost their jobs in favor of middle aged dudes who have been doing it for 40+ years.
Tradies BTFO, it's not gonna be worth getting into a trade now for another 20 years at least
>>
>>29970993
There's a cycle. Old contract journeymen will be pushed out for new contract apprentices. Lower pensions and lower wages. Businesses are about the money and know younger guys will do the same work as old timers for less money. Rack up your hours while you can
>>
>>29970993
"Employment of electricians is projected to grow 14 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations."

"The job prospects for electricians should be very good as many employers report difficulty finding qualified applicants. In addition to job growth, there also are a large number of electricians approaching retirement age, which should produce more job openings in the coming decade."
>>
>>29970993
The average age of a welder is 55. That's very telling sign that young people are needed in the industry.
>>
>>29971111
being a sparky is one of my backup plans tbqh
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.