[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Robot media?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: MediaHandler[1].jpg (129 KB, 954x720) Image search: [Google]
MediaHandler[1].jpg
129 KB, 954x720
What are some good pieces of media that deal with being a robot. (I.E. social isolation, depression, loneliness, etc) I'm kinda looking for podcasts atm but I'm open to anything really. (movies, books, tv shows, anime, whatever)

I've only been able to find a few things that deal with it like Welcome to the N.H.K. or Watamote. Also a couple Scorsese movies like the king of comedy and taxi driver kind of deal with social isolation. Is there a reason more stuff like this isn't made?

Anyways please help a robot out and recommend some good shit pls.
>>
>>29957887
There are a couple of decent manga with robot characters.

Don't let the premise of this one throw you off its really good.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/8967/Onanie_Master_Kurosawa

Ending to this one isn't the best but still worth the read. Mc is in his 30s and udly as shit and has only had sex through prostitutes so i'd say hes pretty robot.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/1238/Ressentiment

From the same author as NHK, its a short but decent read. Its not as robot as NHK but if you liked NHK I'd recommend it.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/5674/Negative_Happy_Chainsaw_Edge

More of a happy manga but the mc is pretty robot, a virgin in his 20s no friends and spends all his time on the internet. I find this one pretty heartwarming though so I don't know if its what you're looking for.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/46282/Chikan_Otoko

Also while you're at it you might want to check out the novel for NHK its short but damn good. As much as I love the anime the book was a lot darker and more depressing in my opinion.
>>
>>29957887
mr robot, the big bang theory, and star wars to name a few
>>
Oh, so most aptly named
>Mr. Robot
>>
>>29958029
>Ressentiment
Oh yeah, I've read that too and I dug it. It was pretty good. I'll also check all of that other stuff out too. Thanks a lot anon!

And kinda off topic but is there a reason that it's mostly Japanese manga/anime that deals with this type of shit? I very rarely see western media try to tackle social isolation or neet lifestyles. I think mr. robot kinda tried too but the MC has sex in like the first or second episode.
>>
>>29958109
Most anime and manga are made by cyborgs so that could be reason. Contrary to popular belief anime isn't very normalfag in Japan. Manga is to an extent but its mostly battle shonen and shjoujo manga that normalfags like over there.
>>
>>29957887
Have you seen the Maniac remake starring Elijah Wood? It's sort of a comical take on isolation, but I still thought it was good.

If you end up enjoying Maniac, Super is also a movie that represents a robot scenario in a comical way.
>>
File: CmYFmogWgAAO3Ai.jpg (50 KB, 652x790) Image search: [Google]
CmYFmogWgAAO3Ai.jpg
50 KB, 652x790
read Fukumoto, that guy is a pure robot, he was working on construction sites and had debts before starting write manga
moreover his manga deal with losers who try to have a better life (not being in debt, working and stop being a neet, etc), his manga have deep psychological analysis of men, most of his characters gamble (kaiji, akagi,...)

another author I like because he is also a big fat mistake, that's asano inio, he has depression since he is a kid (started at elementary school if I well remember)
his manga are fucked up and mainly deal with social anxiety and sexual degenerescence of the young japanese generation
my favorite manga of him is oyasumi punpun, but you can begin with solanin which is very soft, his other manga are really fucked up like umibe no onnanoko (if you want someone eating a shit, just read it)

hope it will help you
>>
>>29958185
>>29958357
I'll check'em out. Thank you guys!
>>
Read medieval chroniclers. Really depressing shit.
>>
File: Punpun_c1p2.png (152 KB, 555x394) Image search: [Google]
Punpun_c1p2.png
152 KB, 555x394
Goodnight PunPun is probably one of the better "robot" mangas out there.
>>
>>29958751
already said but
>oyasumi punpun
>robot
no, not really man
>fucked 4 chicks
>had friends
>just depressed for nothing in the end
>was cruel with his pure virgin oneitis
robot-tier can't definetely describe this book
>>
>>29957887
>robot

that's an exo OP, do your research.
>>
File: jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
>>29957887
Jin Roh is best robot movie.
>>
>>29959019
I loved Jin-roh but what made it robot?
>>
>>29959076
>No friends
>quiet
>Close to no one
conflict of choosing a normie life (the girl) or to continue on in the eventual self-destructive life style he know's best (being operator as fuck)
>>
>>29958751
seems interesting.
origaignaigagag
>>
>>29958029
>Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge
This is really good, thank you for posting this.
I looked into what else he's done since I also liked NHK but it doesn't seem like there's much, other than contributing to an Evangelion anthology. Am I missing something?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.