[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solipsism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: 1455573657639.jpg (460 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455573657639.jpg
460 KB, 1920x1200
Ask an actual believer in solipsism anything.

For the uninformed: http://www.iep.utm.edu/solipsis/
>>
>>29805625
what is the point in having this belief, how does it improve your life
>>
>>29805625
Hows middle-school?
>>
>>29805636
Perhaps belief was the wrong word. To me it feels like everyone else is just a figment of my imagination, in simple terms. I'm the only consciousness that actually exists. I don't really choose to "believe" it so much as I've accepted it as life. My subconscious created this world and everyone in it is fake. Almost how you know that everyone in a video game is an NPC but act real.

>>29805654
Why does having this view make me immature? I can understand delusional, but I'm not trying to be edgy.
>>
>>29805686
if you really believe this, then what's the purpose of making a thread or visiting 4chan at all? or interacting with anyone?

also, where do you exist if everything you perceive is created in your mind? as in, where is your mind located?
>>
>>29805686
you're a fucking idiot mate
>>
File: 1329520753505.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1443) Image search: [Google]
1329520753505.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1443
>>29805625

What's your top10 anime?

What's a good place to put ones money nowadays?
>>
>>29805686
cool belief.
>>
>>29805625
how can I be in your imagination if i'm thinking about this post i'm typing to you right now

checkmate :^)
>>
>>29805625
>Ask an actual believer in solipsism anything.
why are you asking other people question if you "believe" in solipsism? do you like talking to yourself?
>>
If you believe everyone else to be nonexistent, why are you reaching out to them?
>>
>>29805625
Hi me, I'm texting myself because other people can't really exist. It's all in my head. But, why make a thread about it, me? I mean, I would just create a situation where I would perceive people to be contrary to my point of views regarding solipsism.
-love, me.
>>
File: 1449967685853.jpg (214 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449967685853.jpg
214 KB, 1920x1200
>>29805708
I don't know, to be honest. I view life as pointless, but if I end my own life, then everything here gets destroyed too. It seems like a bit of a waste, don't you think? I suppose I'm just talking to nothingness, really. Interacting with you all is like talking to my subconscious.

>>29805716
Fair enough. I don't plan to convince you because in my eyes you're not even real, and that couldn't be proved anyway.

>>29805742
That list will take me a while, I'm in a game now so I'll post it in a few minutes.

>>29805749
Thank you. Does it mean anything coming from someone that doesn't exist? I don't know.

>>29805755
You only exist when I think of you. When I made this thread you began to exist for the purpose of typing that comment.

>>29805787
Yeah, as I said believe was the wrong word. It's more interaction with myself on a different level I suppose.
>>
File: 1461222192321.gif (1 MB, 320x234) Image search: [Google]
1461222192321.gif
1 MB, 320x234
>>29805625
You're right, OP, this is all in your head.
You know what you need to do now, don't you?
>>
>>29805686
If this world could be unreal as it could be real, why did you pick a side?
>>
>>29805625
you literally don't trust anything your senses are telling you?

Why are you here if you think we don't exist?
>>
>>29805686
Shit i feel like this every day. But you im not the npc, you are. I KNOW YOU ARE ALL FAKE AND IM REAL.
>>
>>29805625

You're wrong

originalino
>>
>>29805850
>You only exist when I think of you. When I made this thread you began to exist for the purpose of typing that comment.

Do you believe that when we're created there's an actual "physical" being typing that takes up "space" in your imagination (you know what I mean), or that the internet just appears without any interaction from any physical beings

btw if solipsism then im the real one not you, sry dude
>>
>>29805625
Hi OP, I'm a solipsist too. Who the hell is the real one? From my perspective, it's me, and for yours it's you, but I cannot verify it myself. And you can't verify it too. At least, one of us who is real can be at peace to know that a part of his subconscious is generating someone to agree with him.

And to anyone here who isn't a solipsist, may I recommend three dialogues between hylas and philonous. It involves two friends arguing about the 5 senses, WTF's the deal about relative size to absolute size, some specialized definitions of what the hell sound really is, is anything ever hot or cold, and how can anything be real if pain isn't real. and what the hell do these things imply.
>>
>>29805625
If we're all just manifestations of your personal universe why would you even consider doing this? How fucking self-indulgent to answer questions about yourself that are asked by yourself. I've met people like you before and they are all ignorantly narcissistic and completely lack self-awareness. Eat a dick.
>>
No proof for solopsisim either.
No proof against it either.
50/50 if its real or not.

Why do you believe in something that only has a 50 percent chance of being real????
>>
>>29805868
Ii picked this "side" because I know for a fact that I exist, but cannot be 100% certain that you all do.

>>29805875
Of course I trust my senses. I just believe that everything was simply created by MY subconscious. So technically, you're all part of my "imagination"

>>29805895
Prove it

>>29805891
You can't prove that either.

>>29805919
Just the internet I suppose. If I saw, for example, a person on the news I'd never seen before then at that point their whole life and interaction with others is created, but it's not out of the question to assume that this "imagination" is self sustaining and has created other people from the moment they're born.

>>29806014
Because I know for CERTAIN that I'm real. I only ASSUME that everyone else is a consciousness. That's why I believe in solipsism.

>>29805925
Hi! I'm still in a game so I'll get back to you in a minute.
>>
>>29806032
>Ii picked this "side" because I know for a fact that I exist, but cannot be 100% certain that you all do.

So, if you can't tell if we're real or not, you decide to believe we are not? seems legit
>>
>>29806096
Chance I am real: 100%

Chance you are real: 50%

Therefore I put all my cards on the confident bet. You COULD all be made up, and since I can't disprove that, it's safer to assume it.
>>
Can i habe da pucci baus
>>
File: 1456012632487.jpg (2 MB, 5178x2912) Image search: [Google]
1456012632487.jpg
2 MB, 5178x2912
>>29805742
My top 10 are probably(not in this order)

JoJo: Battle tendency
Psycho Pass
HxH
JoJo: Stardust Crusaders
Kill la Kill (was one of my first, so it's kinda "special")
Nichijou
WataMote
Psycho Pass 2
Gintama (Pretty good but haven't finished it)
Fate/Zero

I don't watch anime too much, these are probably the only good ones I've seen for the last 3 or so years.

>>29805796
It's like conversing with a consciousness I have no control over, but have created. If you made a game and played it, would it be stupid to talk to NPCs? No. It's similar to that, I can't describe it any other way.

>>29805925
Another one (maybe)! I find it fascinating; I can only be sure of my senses and conscious but are expected to take for a fact that everyone else has and experiences these things, and are not simply following a "cosmic script" of some sort. I'll definitely check those texts out, they seem really interesting!
>>
>>29806263
Yeah, got into them after my bout of Christianity to atheist to mysticism to solipsism. Solipsism really makes me at peace. I mean, it's all just a game.

Of course, yeah. Death sucks. That's the one thing that you can't verify. I believe though, that since this is our imagination, what's the point in ending it so suddenly? And even then, how did we get from nothing to something.

Mostly, I believe that this is some weird beta test game. You choose your basis to reality, like physical objects, some abstract ideas, and you've got some good universe there! Then, (maybe?) become God or just inhabit some being to help perceive the ideas you made.

Either that, or everything is just a stream of creation. Like random generation on the fly.

I used to hang out on some weird solipsist website, forgot its name. It was some long sentence. A bunch of people learning the basis of reality. Unfortunately, the people mostly argued about who was the real slim shady, and then everything fell apart. Apparently, some managed to generate fire on their fingers, some died, some can read thoughts.

So yeah. Solipsism as a belief, is well justified, and maybe unpopular, but its applications are still being studied. Of course, for you, you just made this text up from your subconscious, and we, fellow solipsists, acknowledge that we are acknowledging that, as perceived by only one person, who might be anyone in the group.
>>
>>29806375
The one thing that intrigues me about death is that I don't even know it will happen to ME. Sure, it's "happened" to others, but what if I don't die? What if that's just another "made up" thing like other people? What if, when I die, I get reincarnated into another person, and my actual fate is to live the life of every person that ever has and shall exist? There are so many different avenues of solipsism. Everything could, as you said, be procedurally generated as life goes or, preordained by my subconscious, which gives me the illusion of free will...the possibilities are quite literally endless. Or none of it could be real, also another possibility.

Godspeed, my creation. Perhaps we shall meet eachother again.
>>
>>29806032
I already know it, as I am real and conscious.
>>
>>29805625
I see your solipsism and raise you biocentrism

get on my level senpai
>>
>>29806602
Perhaps. This conversation was very enlightening. Yeah, the possiblilities are endless. Anything could conceivably happen. I mean, can we even die? Reincarnate? Even then, what if we reincarnate in something other than a 4 dimensional universe with the physical laws we know. For all I could care, I'd be reincarnated as a being in a state which I cannot describe, in a universe I cannot describe. I could be born as 4th dimensional being born to a 3-sphere analogue of earth. I can't even visualize that.

Thanks for this thread OP. I was really glad to meet ya. Fate will ordain we will meet again, someday. Maybe in another universe, maybe in a toroidal universe, maybe in flatland

Another recommendation: flatland (the novel and the movie(s)) are awesome. About a bunch of polygons living in a 2 dimensional world, and one polygon goes to to 3rd dimension, and meets some friendly 3 dimensional polytopes. It's mind boggling for him. It might be satire, but it's really expressive of the idea of considering the existence of things we cannot perceive properly, but only get glimpses of. Like for example, shadows of n-dimensional shapes have n-1 dimensions. A shadow of a cube is a square, a shadow of a hyper cube is a cube. It's hard imagining another 90 degree turn, but it's fun to do.

Goodnight.
>>
>>29806707
goodnight dickhead

f-ing oregano cunt
>>
File: 1361783390012.jpg (129 KB, 405x303) Image search: [Google]
1361783390012.jpg
129 KB, 405x303
>>29805625
solipsism is the most narcissistic bullshit philosophy that young people adopt, congratulations retard.

yeah, you can only be SURE of what YOU know but shit man; everyone is pretty fucking SURE of what THEY know. i guess all of my thoughts and inner processes are a part of your thoughts and inner processes to make up my thoughts and inner processes.

makes sense.
>>
Solipsism: The Most Destructive Ideology On The Face Of The Earth
>>
What is it called if I think I'm the only automaton amongst a sea of conscious human beings?
>>
>>29805636
It makes you an egocentric maniac who disregards everyone else's existence. It justifies giving up on life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUw5nLGQEuU

watch this video for more information
>>
When I was young (5~9 years old) I used to think that other people could see through my eyes. I used to basically try not to look at my own dick or poop or say anything bad or anything because I was scared other people could see it. I don't know if that's solipsism or not but it was scary.
>>
>>29805625
Why do you imagine us suffer?
>>
>>29808145
That's a well-documented phenomenon in developmental psychology. They called it egocentrism. You might enjoy reading about Piaget's stages of cognitive development to find out about it and other quirks we seem to grow out of.
>>
>>29805625
Why would you even ask this question on here if we don't exist?

You're a fucking edgy fucker innya?
>>
>>29805625
it's ok you just imagined you mom getting raped, accept it, because it's just your dirty mind
>>
It is an honor to be in your presence, master. We are nothing but braindead slaves for your amusement. You are our creator.
>>
>>29805625
Your dream sucks and you're an asshole.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.