[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did possessing a college degree become a social stigma in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5
File: Contemplating Murder.png (184 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Contemplating Murder.png
184 KB, 512x384
When did possessing a college degree become a social stigma in this country? When did it become a deterrent not to hire a college graduate with a bachelor's degree? I've been looking for work for two months, of the jobs that did call me in for interviews they never called me back after said interview. I'm almost positive it's because I am a fresh college graduate with a bachelor's degree, now mind you these jobs were shitty retail jobs that paid minimum wage at best.

This is the problem that upsets me, why should I not be allowed to work a shitty minimum wage retail job just because I have a college degree? Are the employers afraid I'll only stay for a few months and than leave? Do they believe me to be over-qualified for the job? Are they intimidated by the fact that I have a four year college degree and they don't? Either way the problem most likely lies in my education, and that to put it bluntly is bullshit. Just because I have a four year education doesn't mean I can't pursue a small time retail job making minimum wage until something better comes along. An employer should not discriminate against me just because I went to college and obtained a bachelor's degree, I don't give a shit if I am over-qualified for the job. I just need a job and I need some money, who cares if the job is "beneath me" I certainly don't. A job is a job, if employers are favoring high school graduates and dropouts then that's retarded. There use to be a time where employers FAVORED those with higher education, now it seems employers would hire deadbeat dropouts or those who only obtained a high school education because they know that those people will never leave.

It's a sad time in society when those who chose to pursue higher education are stigmatized for continuing their education, I went to college to get a higher paying job and you might say "you fell for the meme" but even so it's truly sad that employers in this country look down on college graduates.
>>
>>29756650
>Are the employers afraid I'll only stay for a few months and than leave?
Yes, plus the fact that you're most likely an entitled little bitch as shown by the tone of your entire post.

In fact you've even mentioned your desire to leave within a few months.
>>
>>29756650
>When did possessing a college degree become a social stigma in this country?
It isn't. You just hang around retarded populists.
>>
>>29756684
I believe there is nothing wrong with working a high turnover rate job to make some cash until a better job comes along, if you believe I'm wrong than your logic is flawed as fuck.

Secondly I may sound entitled but in reality I'm just upset at the audacity of some employers that manage rinky dink shit minimum wage retail stores, now personally I'm not saying "Oh you need to hire me because I'm easily better than the non college educated workers you have here" that's not what I'm saying at all, what I'm saying is that the employers should not discriminate against hiring me simply because I chose to obtain a four year college degree.

What makes high school graduates and dropouts more likely to get the job than a college graduate? If they aren't hiring me on the premise of "Oh he'll just leave in a few months" than that's bullshit, most shitty retail minimum wage jobs have high turnover rates, I understand employers want people that are going to stay for years and years but there is nothing wrong with a college graduate working a minimum wage job till they can find better work.

Maybe my city is full of retarded employers that don't understand this, who knows.

>>29756718
Like I said, maybe my town/state is retarded. Maybe I wouldn't be having this problem is I lived in a different state or a different part of the country.
>>
>>29756650
You could try, I don't know, not mentioning that you went to college or that you will be leaving in a few months?

Not sure why you would even want to mention that when applying for a shitty job.
>>
>>29756650
TL;DR. There's billions of people in this world. Why the fuck would they hire someone uncertified, with less background? It started becoming a thing when we started importing shitloads of smart foreigners. Try to keep up! :-)
>>
This reads like it was written by Elliot Rodgers. Calm the fuck down, what is your degree?
>of the jobs that did call me in for interviews they never called me back after said interview
If it was about your degree they would have probably rejected you at the resume stage.

Stop being so god damn pretentious and maybe they'll hire you. Realize that you're not better than that job, because if you were, you'd be doing something better.
And yes, it might have something to do with the fact that you plan to leave the moment something better comes up.
>>
>>29756650
Just don't tell them you have a college degree.
>>
>>29756764
Why would a company want to hire someone who's going to leave soon? Of course from YOUR perspective there's "nothing wrong," but the company will be putting it's interests before yours

Besides, if it's affecting your job search that much why don't you just not list your college education on your application, idiot.

Jesus you sound like a piece of shit.
>>
>>29756650
>apply for shitty retail job
>don't get a call back
>apply again
>get job
>been there for almost six years
>all with a b.a
>earned a b.b.a. in the interim
>still at shitty retail job

j-joke's on you OP.
>>
>>29756650

OP, it's not because you have a college degree that you are unhireable, it's because virtually EVERYONE has a college degree these days and half the time it means nothing.college is basically high school you have to pay for.
>>
>>29756832
I'm aware that a lot of places will hire foreigners who are willing to do the same job for less pay, or less hours, etc. That really wasn't my point though, maybe foreigners are part of the problem, but I personally don't think that's my specific reason for struggling with finding work.

>>29756824
I can't lie about my education moron because then I'll have a FIVE YEAR gap in my employment history, I attended college for five years. Any employer would ask "So anon what did you do for these last five years after you graduated high school in 2011?" and trust me making up/lying about job histories is a big no-no. Especially if you have to make up FIVE YEARS worth of job histories, the majority of employers will check your most recent job history and if they call and find out I essentially lied about working at where I said I worked then that instantly destroys any chance of them hiring me.

>>29756889
See my above response, I already answered why I can't lie about my education.

>>29756882
The interviews were for shitty retail jobs, those jobs don't do "resumes" they do "applications" there is a big difference. Big time corporations and companies handle "resumes" a shitty rinky dinky retail job could careless if you gave them a resume, they just want an application and that's it. Also I'm never pretentious during the interview, I tell them that I'm ready to work and willing to learn what I need to.

>>29756896
Once again you and the other retards who say "Just don't list your education hurr durr" I already explained that and you are retarded for even suggesting it, if you actually do this and suggest to other people than chances are you aren't very bright.

Never give advice

>>29756899
That's fine, if you find comfort and enjoyment working at that retail job than more power to you. Some college graduates never pursue higher paying jobs, whatever makes you happy.

>>29756906
While I agree somewhat, I don't believe everyone has a college degree.
>>
>>29756764
every0ne deserve a chance
>>
>>29756974
Where are you?
Some places just have high unemployment rates.
Try a temp agencies, they pretty much get work for anyone.
>>
maybe they want the guy who's actually a hard worker and could prove he knows his shit.
>>
>>29756974
>Once again you and the other retards who say "Just don't list your education hurr durr" I already explained that and you are retarded for even suggesting it, if you actually do this and suggest to other people than chances are you aren't very bright.
Yeah, I'm the moron who can't even find a job bagging groceries, right? If I wanted to clean dishes at Red Robin i'm not going to fucking tell them I'm a medical doctor. I can only imagine why you can't find a job in your field.
>>
Rig the nearest government associated workplace with explosives in vengeance.
>>
>>29757011
I already tired temp agencies, they only help you find blue collar level jobs in my area and I'm not interested in working blue collar jobs. I want a white collar job, a lot of the blue collar jobs these temp agencies help people find is things like "welding, working in factories, steel production, construction, etc."

Basically hardcore manual labor jobs, I also have no experience in these fields. I have no technical skills, I don't know the first thing about welding or doing factory work/construction work.

>>29757026
There's no way to "prove" someone is a hard worker without actually hiring him and observing how he works. Anyone can say they are a hardworker but if they aren't going to give me the chance to prove myself then it doesn't matter what I say, secondly what is there to know? A half dead retarded monkey can run a cash register, fold clothes, sweep the floors, stock shelves, unload trucks, process returns, etc.

You don't need much of an education to work a shitty minimum wage retail job, do I think I'm over-qualified for them? I somewhat do. But does that mean I refuse to work them or don't want to work them? No, no it does not.

>>29757098
I like how you completely overlooked the fact that I would have to account for a FIVE YEAR gap in my job history, what would you do in that situation smart ass? You just gonna make up five years worth of jobs, or tell a giant lie saying "Oh I was living in another country for five years." Either way I understand that some employers might not hire you on the grounds that you're clearly over-qualified for a job but my education should not be a stigma for me in finding work, even if that work is low tier minimum wage work. It's not my fault if employers aren't intimidated by the "big scary college graduate." Oooo he's so scary, he's gonna make us feel insecure and inferior, give me a break.

Anyway that's what I believe and if that makes me wrong than I don't want to be right.
>>
>>29756974
>That's fine, if you find comfort and enjoyment working at that retail job than more power to you. Some college graduates never pursue higher paying jobs, whatever makes you happy.

hey, man. at least i could get a job
>>
>>29757174
>a FIVE YEAR gap in my job history,
That's your own fault for not getting internships, isnt it? What the fuck were you doing in college anyways, and why did it take you 5 years to graduate? Sounds like you were shit at college. Or perhaps you've already graduated a year ago in which case there is seriously something wrong with your application.

>It's not my fault if employers aren't intimidated by the "big scary college graduate." Oooo he's so scary, he's gonna make us feel insecure and inferior, give me a break.
Yeah no, they aren't intimidated by an entitled little shit with you. They just don't want to deal with having to train a little brat like you, only to have you leave anyways after you run off to your "big scary white collar" job

Also anecdotally, my friend with a bioengineering degree from UC Irvine left his college education off his applications and got hired to bag shit at safeway. Nobody questioned his 4 year gap
>>
>>29757174
>they only help you find blue collar level jobs in my area and I'm not interested in working blue collar jobs.

>get a degree in a white collared field, while living in a blue collared area
>complain about not being able to find a job

good going. you should have gotten a trade instead of a uni degree. sorry you wasted your time and money, idiot.
>>
>He fell for the college meme.

Oregano comment senpai
>>
you're a flight risk, you have no obligation to put your education on your resume and I have gotten jobs not revealing the information. It might not be the best move but when I was in your position it worked/ was just a coincidence
>>
>>29756650
Just forge a degree.

That's how I got a job at the hospital making $400k a year.
>>
>>29757298
Why are people so offended by how I type? I literally said "more power to ya" and "whatever makes you happy" I'm not trying to come off as sarcastic. I'm genuinely saying that if that is what you want to do and you're happy in life than I'm happy for you.

Damn I'm not trying to come off as an asshole, stop taking it that way.

>That's your own fault for not getting internships

Not everyone goes for internships while in college, granted I should have started looking for internships during my junior year but I didn't, so yeah I do admit that was my fault.

>why did it take you 5 years to graduate? Sounds like you were shit at college

Actually more and more people are now taking five years to graduate with a bachelor's degree, I know some people that graduated in six years but four to five years is the average. It's not uncommon to take five years to graduate college, try looking it up, you might be surprised. I also wasn't "shit" in college, the process was just long, I took 12 hours a semester during my first year and half, then I bumped it up to 15 hours a semester and eventually 18 hours a semester. I didn't start off taking 18 hours every semester like some people, granted some people want to graduate and get out of college as quickly as they can, I didn't. I didn't care if it took me four or five years to graduate, and surprisingly as I stated earlier it wasn't that uncommon.

Basically their is no correlation between time it takes to graduate and someone's intelligence and work ethic, but nice attempt and trying to insult me.

>my friend with a bioengineering degree from UC Irvine left his college education off his applications and got hired to bag shit at safeway. Nobody questioned his 4 year gap

Well congrats to your friend, I think it's sloppy on the employer's part to not mention a four year gap in job history. Maybe he just got lucky, I refuse to believe every single person/employer is going to get away with that.
>>
>>29756650
Look at this fuckin egghead. Nice job falling for the college meme, should've been a NEET all along. You didn't get any smarter, you just wasted time and money becoming unemployable!
>>
This thread needs the SWEAT Pledge and jesus, post haste
>>
File: 1467774889877.jpg (201 KB, 470x595) Image search: [Google]
1467774889877.jpg
201 KB, 470x595
>>29757602
Keep SWEATing for me, wagecuck. Your labor pays for my tendies.
>>
>>29756650
>When did possessing a college degree become a social stigma in this country? When did it become a deterrent not to hire a college graduate with a bachelor's degree? I've been looking for work for two months, of the jobs that did call me in for interviews they never called me back after said interview. I'm almost positive it's because I am a fresh college graduate with a bachelor's degree, now mind you these jobs were shitty retail jobs that paid minimum wage at best.

When everyone got one. They stopped being special. Every idiot has a BA now. They don't want that. They want someone with a technical degree, or a masters.
>>
>>29757363
I said I was looking for shitty retail jobs at the moment, retard. A shitty retail job is not a blue collar job, it doesn't require any knowledge of a trade or skill. Secondly anyone can move to a different city, I can always relocate and try to get an apartment in a bigger city where white collar jobs are more prevalent.

Holy fuck it's like you just assume I'm bound to my location for all eternity and I'm incapable of going to a different location to look for work, yeah, nice job calling the kettle black "idiot".

>>29757398
Here is your (You) I know you really wanted one.

>>29757406
Well maybe I'll try it, I might not have a choice at this point but it's just a shame that I have to stoop so low as to lie about my education.

>>29757435
I don't need to "forge" anything, I have a real degree from a real college.

>>29757588
Here is your (You) also people like you who say "College is a waste of time and money" really don't have an argument, half the time it's people who either A: Couldn't afford to go to college. B: Are simply envious of those who did go to college and got a degree. C: Are envious that college graduates have better job prospects. or D: You hate college graduates because you believe they think they are better than you and that makes you upset.

Either way you can believe that college is a waste but our society puts college on a pedestal and you can either play ball or not. There are people who seriously wanted to attend college and could not because of financial reasons and what not, it's a bit of a shame. And as you said some people just simply believe they don't "Need" college to be successful in life, and I believe that's true but I also believe you shouldn't bash college graduates just because they chose to further their education.

I never once implied that I was better than you, maybe I'm coming off that way but I don't consider myself to be a demi-god or anything.
>>
File: 1465655620828.jpg (23 KB, 427x375) Image search: [Google]
1465655620828.jpg
23 KB, 427x375
>>29757638
I just happen to be a mischievous neet myself
>>
>>29757679
>Either way you can believe that college is a waste but our society puts college on a pedestal
Yeah, and we also put fancy cars and big houses on pedestals. You gonna buy those, too? Face it, you got tricked hardcore.
>>
>>29757545
>I also wasn't "shit" in college, the process was just long,
You had 5 years to get an internship, a research job, or even working at your school's cafeteria. Yet somehow you came up empty handed. You're the prime example of someone who was shit at college. You probably have a shit GPA too.

>Basically their is no correlation between time it takes to graduate and someone's intelligence and work ethic, but nice attempt and trying to insult me.
Why would anyone who is both smart and hardworking take 12 hours for a year and a half, while not doing any internships or extracurricular?

If you really want to get a job that appreciates your education or whatever, go get a graduate degree in a field that has a stable job outlook.
>>
>>29757639
I wasn't aware Bachelor degree's were so common, I mean, I know that lots of people are attending college and graduate college every year but a lot of people claim that can't afford to attend college, or have no desire to attend.

Also a Bachelor degree trumps an Associate degree from a community college, four year degrees usually hold more power than two year degrees. Though I have noticed more and more people attending graduate school, sadly I can't afford graduate school right now. Maybe in a year or two, I wouldn't mind going for an M.A.

>>29757588
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/catherine-rampell-the-college-degree-has-become-the-new-high-school-degree/2014/09/08/e935b68c-378a-11e4-8601-97ba88884ffd_story.html

>>29757719
>Yeah, and we also put fancy cars and big houses on pedestals. You gonna buy those, too?

Why wouldn't I? Don't most people want nice cars and houses? Obviously if I could afford them I would buy them, you're deluding and lying to yourself if you say you wouldn't. The only reason people say they won't buy them is because they can't afford them, it's a common answer to a common question. As for being "tricked" I don't feel I was tricked at all, I chose to attend college of my own volition, nobody really forced me to go. You have a choice to attend, some people don't because they can't afford it but for the most part nobody is forcing you to attend college.

>You had 5 years to get an internship, a research job, or even working at your school's cafeteria.

First off my school's cafeteria staff is 95% black, secondly most people don't start looking for internships till their third year of college or so. I already said I just didn't bother looking for internships, and not everyone does. As for my GPA, well my first year of college was bad so my GPA took a hard hit. I never recovered from it so I barely managed to pull a 3.0, never the less I did fine in college.

You sound like some typical fraternity normie faggot.
>>
>>29757915
>Not everyone looks for an internship
And they end up like you, unemployed and facing the prospect of homelessness in the near future.
>Barely managed a 3.0
Holy fuck, I slept through my entire organic chemistry final and still manged a 3.85.
>>
>>29757915
>Why wouldn't I? Don't most people want nice cars and houses? Obviously if I could afford them I would buy them, you're deluding and lying to yourself if you say you wouldn't.
Hahahahahaha holy shit, you're the best goy.

>As for being "tricked" I don't feel I was tricked at all
That's because you were tricked so goddamn well.

>free will bullshit
Every single time.
>i made my decisions completely independently from external stimuli!
>my brain functions outside of the laws of physics!

This might be news to you, but if you tell a kid he should go to college for 12 years he'll probably want to go to college.
>>
>>29757787
>Why would anyone who is both smart and hardworking take 12 hours for a year and a half, while not doing any internships or extracurricular?

Probably because it was my first year in college and I wanted to take things nice and slow, nothing says that you HAVE to take 18 hours during your first year of college, I mean you can but that's for people who want to graduate right away. I experienced massive culture shock in college, I didn't know what to expect and everything was new to me. Obviously I didn't want to stress myself out taking the maximum amount of hours you could take, that's like driving a nail into my arm, I'm not a masochist.

Sure, you may think that's an excuse or I sound lazy but I still think I am a hard working individual but do you honestly believe people just love taking 18 hours of course work during their freshman year? No, most people don't want to take that much coursework, except for the ones that I already mentioned who just simply want to graduate early or don't mind taking the extra load.

You must not know a lot of lazy people, lazy people tend to be quick intelligent but choose not to show it, you can be lazy AND smart. For some reason by your logic a lazy person cannot be smart or have a some sort of drive in life. Shows how much you really know about people in general.

>while not doing any internships or extracurricular?

I had absolutely no interest in Greek Life or any extracurricular activities offered at my college, simple as that. I'm not going to force myself to join something that I don't care about, or have no interest in. Also not all extra-curricular activities are resume worthy. I'm not going to put down that I was apart of the "Video game club" at my college for four years. Most people join sororities or fraternities so they can put it on their resume, they also put down that they did community service, volunteered a lot, etc.

Also stop mentioning "internships" I already answered that.
>>
Some employers are cheats and frauds and do not want to hire people who will second guess them/not become reliant upon them and so avoid college graduates. Same vein of people who hire temp foreign workers illegals. You may be hitting this type as a roadblock, but it's hard to say based on no information.
Most likely scenario is whatever you really want to do is saturated and you can't compete with the pool of applicants, so, that sucks you have ostensibly wasted your time but you can probably get a job at a bank or something and at least get a better wage than the shit you're getting rejected from
>>
>>29757982
>I beat the system man
>Down with the government
>Free will doesn't exist
>We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings

Yeah, I know your type. You think you're better than everyone else because you did the OPPOSITE of what society and government says you should do, while you assume people like me think we are the better one's for doing EXACTLY what society and government said we should do. You know will never agree so let's agree to disagree, people like us will always defend our beliefs. Also don't try to use philosophical arguments on me, I know this might sound fedora and neckbeardish but I'm quite versed in philosophical arguments and your "Free will meme" argument is not a strong argument at all.

>>29757980
>Holy fuck, I slept through my entire organic chemistry final and still manged a 3.85.

Congrats, if you want to be proud of that than more power to you. Once again I believe there is no correlation between intelligence and GPA, if you think that just because you got a 3.9 GPA and I got a 3.0 GPA means you're smarter than me then you most likely have very low self esteem and self confidence. Also you don't even know me, you don't even know why I struggled my first year of college. I could sit here for hours writing and telling you about why I did so poorly my first year of college, but it wouldn't matter. All I'm going to say is sometimes college can be hard for in terms of a social aspect, it can really affect your grades and work ethic. Don't act like you can assume I'm an idiot just because of my 3.0 GPA, you don't know what those five years of college were like for me or my specific journey through college.

I believe everyone experiences college differently, it's obvious your experience was much different from my experience and those unique experiences had different results and impacts on us. I'm not going to sit here and make assumptions about you or your GPA, you even admitted to sleeping through a final.
>>
>>29758201
>your "Free will meme" argument is not a strong argument at all.
You're the philosophical equivalent of a creationist. Free will is just code for souls.
>>
>>29758035
>You must not know a lot of lazy people, lazy people tend to be quick intelligent but choose not to show it, you can be lazy AND smart.
Sure they can, but you were claiming to be not lazy, then you mentioned something about time to graduation and how it doesn't correlate with intelligence, so i can only assume you're trying to state that you're both smart and hardworking. Being smart and hardworking (again, both) is not compatible with someone who basically failed the test of college (ie, not having any achievements). You're clearly not very hard working based on your lack of achievements, and judging by your posts in this thread you're not very smart either. Sucks being lazy and stupid.

>I had absolutely no interest in Greek Life or any extracurricular activities offered at my college
I wasnt solely referring to "fun" extracurricular activities such as your video game club or joining a frat. Be a teaching assistant or a tutor, work in a lab, do community service, volunteer at a hospital, get involved in a non-video game club. There are plenty of things to do, of which you did none.

>Also stop mentioning "internships" I already answered that.
Right you answered that, but that's literally the biggest reason why you cant find a job right now so you can't just shake that aside kiddo.

>Shows how much you really know about people in general.
Kek, you were literally 11 years old when i was in college
>>
>>29758154
To be frank, I really don't know what I can do with my degree. When I entered college I had no major in mind, I was undecided for about a year so that is also a reason why it took me five years to graduate, for the guy who is judging me for taking five years to graduate. Anyway in my state a college student can only remain undecided for so long, once you accumulate 40 hours you are required by law to declare a major. I eventually picked a major that I really didn't know much about or know what I could do with it, but I ended up picking it. You might be thinking "Why did you go to college if you didn't have a major in mind? Why did you go to college when you clearly didn't even want to go?" No, I wanted a college degree because I believed it would help me in life, I just simply had no idea what I wanted to do in life and I wasn't about to spend two or three years working at a shitty retail job or fast food job until I decided to go to college. I wanted to get my degree as soon as I could instead of waiting several years like some people, anyway I got a B.A in Communication Studies and yes I know people will say "Haha faggot got a degree in a liberal arts cuck major, what a loser, etc." I've heard it all, anyway I have no fucking idea what you do with a communication studies degree but over the last two or three years I found the subject interesting and learning theories of communication and what not was also interesting. I wrote several research papers and gave many presentations in my communication classes as well, it's not like I hated the major or what I learned, I just simply don't know what careers or fields I can work in. I also don't really have any aspirations, there isn't some golden career in my head that I want to have. I just would like a job making anywhere from $15 to $20 hours or possibly making a minimum of 60k a year, I'd be very content with that. Hell I'd even except 50k a year.
>>
>>29758286
>Being smart and hardworking (again, both) is not compatible with someone who basically failed the test of college (ie, not having any achievements). You're clearly not very hard working based on your lack of achievements, and judging by your posts in this thread you're not very smart either. Sucks being lazy and stupid.

Intelligence is subjective, obviously we hate each other and obviously we are arguing so of course you are going to insult my intelligence. It's usually the most exposed and common thing for people to insult when arguing with someone, especially on the internet. Secondly what grand achievements did you achieve in college, your highness? Clearly you have a myriad of them since you seem to think anyone who left college without achievements is a failure, which by the way I don't agree with at all. Lots of people go through college just to get a degree, I don't know where you get this "Oh you need to accomplish stuff and be successful in college to get a degree" I knew people who fucking smoked video and played video games everyday and they still got their degree, they achieved ZERO achievements at college. Also if we're going to make assumptions about each other based off each other's post then I assume based off your posts that you are highly arrogant, coincided and have a very warped and twisted view on college in general. Let me guess, you got a STEM degree and are making what? 80k a year? or even 100k year? Living the successful life of a STEM graduate in silicon valley? In your expensive apartment over-looking the beach? Get over yourself, we both got college degrees and we both got through college. You can believe you're better than me but that doesn't change the fact that we're both college graduates, you just simply had a completely different outlook and experience on college than I do and that's fine. Everyone will experience and perceive college in different ways, don't act like your view is the only correct view.
>>
>>29758319
>I'll even except 50k, claims communications specialist

well man, 60k is 30 an hour, 50k is 24 an hour, 41K is 20 an hour and 31K is 15 an hour... my guess is unless you go into a trade or figure out a legitimate plan of attack you're going to be doing a lot of wishing and not a lot of getting, but I don't know anything about that career path's prospects
>>
>>29758421
>obviously we hate each other and obviously
I dont hate you, I just think you're an idiot

>I don't know where you get this "Oh you need to accomplish stuff and be successful in college to get a degree" I knew people who fucking smoked video and played video games everyday and they still got their degree, they achieved ZERO achievements at college.
You dont, but don't be surprised if you cant find a JOB afterwards

>Let me guess, you got a STEM degree and are making what? 80k a year? or even 100k year? Living the successful life of a STEM graduate in silicon valley? In your expensive apartment over-looking the beach?
I dont think anyone making 100k would be able to afford an apartment overlooking the beach. But you're right, I'm pretty arrogant
>>
why do you want work some shitty white collar job anyway?

your only going to hate it
>>
>>29758487
I didn't actually bother to do the math on the numbers, man I didn't realize you had to make $30 an hour to pull in 60k a year. I see more people commonly making $40 or $50k realistically with college degrees, so that means they are only making anywhere between $18 an hour and $24 an hour. I guess I need to dial back my goals, I mean I guess $31k isn't too bad if you're living alone in an apartment by yourself and don't have to support anyone but yourself.

I figured 31k is plenty for someone in that situation, I'm not planning to marry, have kids or anything like that so if I can pull 30k year that'd still be fine for someone living a one bedroom apartment or something, at least that's what I figured.

>>29758550
>But you're right, I'm pretty arrogant

Well at least we can agree on that, and since you admitted that you by nature are an arrogant person that really answers even more questions I had about your personality, honestly I'm not surprised at this point.

>I dont hate you, I just think you're an idiot

The feeling is mutual, you act like you've never had an argument with a stranger on the internet before. Obviously we both think the other is a completely retard, and we also both think that we're better than each other.

>You dont, but don't be surprised if you cant find a JOB afterwards

That's fine, I don't have to agree with what you're saying. I do agree those with more achievements to put on their resume might have an easier time finding work, but it doesn't necessarily mean those without them can find work. I see it more as you getting a little "boost" to your resume, like a steroid injection for your resume. A lot of people will leave the achievement or accomplishment section blank on their resume because they have nothing to put there.

Have you seriously never met people who have no accomplishments or achievements to put down on their resume? I've met LOTS of them, it's quite common actually not to put anything down in that section.
>>
File: self-deserting.png (399 KB, 781x537) Image search: [Google]
self-deserting.png
399 KB, 781x537
>>29756650

> be op

> spend 5 years getting a college degree

> don't bother making career plans

> don't bother choosing a useful major

> spent more time rubbing himself raw to hentai pornography and/or shitposting on 4chan than actually studying

> graduate

> mfw no job

> mfw no skills

> mfw edgy cunt

OP: Go to your college's career services office. Tell them you fucked up, that you are retarded, and that you humbly listen to their advice. Then do it.
>>
>>29758608
Well what would you recommend? "Shitty white collar jobs" as you put it usually pay pretty well and can be good, stable and long term careers. The only other option would be to work some blue collar technical job/trade job and I do not have the skills for that. I didn't attend some technical skill where they teach you how to weld, or work on factory machines and what not. I'm aware welding and trade jobs pay pretty damn good money, but as I already said, I had no interest in doing that and not everyone does.
>>
>>29758625

OP, I studied engineering and made $63k my first year, back in 2008, when the economy was prolapsing.

I make $100k now.

SO MUCH MORE COMFY than $30k

uncuck your mind, edgelord
>>
>>29758652
i have no interest in either
>>
>>29758625
either divide a salary by 2080 to get the hourly rate or multiply the hourly rate by 2080 to get the yearly salary
doesn't include benefits, which can be either negligent or very significant but can help when handwaiving or focusing on job ads/offers.
You likely won't be making good money even in a decent career path until you have several years in, but at long as it is livable to you and you aren't getting jewed compared to the regional average for that position you've got to take what you can get
>>
>>29756650
Human life has never been more expendable than it is right now. This fact is reflected in the horrendous economic conditions of the modern era.
>>
>>29758643
You do realize a lot of people don't "make career goals" right? I know lots of people who didn't, or currently do not know what they're going to do when they get out of college and have to start looking for work. Secondly my college career service office will be as helpful as shit, I actually believe I already went to them in the past and they were pretty useless.

Also I guess you're implying I have some kind of personality disorder, or that I'm socially inept. Which is not really the case, granted I have had depression for five years and I have no social life or friends. But I am not anti-social, it'd be ironic for a socially inept, anti-social misanthrope to major in COMMUNICATION studies where we actually learn to COMMUNICATE and SOCIALIZE with people, we also have to TALK and give PRESENTATIONS in front of DOZENS OF PEOPLE.

>don't bother choosing a useful major

I hate this meme, look if someone wants to major in fucking art, music, theater or philosophy then more power to them. Will they have hard time finding work? Yes, yes they will but if they majored in something they liked and they're happy then let them be. I try not to judge others based off their major, sure some majors like art majors and philosophy majors are basically useless, but if that's what the person wanted to do with their life then good for them for pursuing it. More than I can say about a lot of other people on /r9k/ and in society in general.

>SO MUCH MORE COMFY than $30k

Well no shit 100k is better than 30k but for a single male who has no kids, spouse or other obligations, 30k is quite a bit for a single person. Obviously I can do a lot more with 100k but they say you shouldn't be greedy and all that jazz, I could probably live a decent comfy life on 30k if it's just me that I have to support.
>>
>>29758625
>I see it more as you getting a little "boost" to your resume, like a steroid injection for your resume. A lot of people will leave the achievement or accomplishment section blank on their resume because they have nothing to put there.

>Have you seriously never met people who have no accomplishments or achievements to put down on their resume? I've met LOTS of them, it's quite common actually not to put anything down in that section.

It's far more than a "little boost." Those people who have nothing to put on their apps are the ones who do not end up getting jobs. Go get your grad degree in something useful. Or go to nursing school or some shit and get a job out of school making 90k. You clearly have a huge sense of pride and I can tell you think these "temp jobs" are below you (based on how you describe the people who work these jobs), so go and get yourself a job worthy of you.
>>
>>29758722
2080 is 40hours*52 weeks, just to be clear in case your country has a different standard of worked hours than mine does
>>
>>29758783
why are you bothering us with this noise man?
>>
>>29758794
>You clearly have a huge sense of pride and I can tell you think these "temp jobs" are below you (based on how you describe the people who work these jobs), so go and get yourself a job worthy of you.

Let's be realistic here, I really don't like to look down on the people who work these "temp jobs" but I do believe people with college degrees are slightly better than those without college degrees and I like to think I'm in the majority when I say that. I don't think anybody wants to admit that because it makes them sound like an arrogant piece of shit, but that's really how I believe most people think and they just don't want to admit it.

When you walk into Wal-Mart or McDonald's and you look at those workers with tattoo's, long greasy hair, pierced earrings and gauges in their ears. You know that you're better than them because you went to college and were more successful than they are, you probably also consider yourself more intelligent and overall a better person.

It's hard not to judge people by appearances and where they work, we assume people are trash when they work at places like Wal-Mart and Mcdonald's and yes that makes people assholes, but a large majority of people are assholes and never admit it because they don't want to admit it.

>OP, I studied engineering and made $63k my first year, back in 2008,

You have a STEM degree, no shit you made a lot of money your first year. This isn't news to anyone, everyone knows STEM degrees pay much more than other degrees. Obviously my liberal arts degree isn't going to net me 63k my first year, hell I'd be lucky to net 50k or 40k but like I said this isn't news to anyone. Also you're bragging, and sadly I don't really blame you because I'd probably brag to if I was making 63k my first year or 100k yearly in present day.

Overall my point is some people will be satisfied making 30k or 40k a year, as long as they are happy and can live off of it.
>>
Get a job at McDonalds, no one expects anyone to stay more than like a year
>>
>>29758898
yeah sure thats probably how they think, that doesnt mean its nessassarily true.
>>
>>29758898
>you're better than them because you're more successful than they are

bu-but you're not more successful than they are. Is this entire thread just a deep cover troll?
>>
>>29758898
I hope you stick around r9k for a long time buddy cuz you're fucking hilarious
>>
>>29758939
i got that feeling too, but he's spending an awful lot of time responding to all these posts and he genuinely sounds like an entitled new college grad with an inflated sense of self worth. if this is truly a troll post, then hats off to you, OP
>>
>>29758319
I too went to college for five years. I started out as a music major in piano performance. I was passionate about classical music and the piano but I hated performing because I would become a nervous wreck on stage. I went through some crap and then I had to switch to general music studies/liberal arts when I switched to a better uni. I now have a Bachelors in Liberal arts and I am considering a masters. If I go for a Masters, I might pick accounting. I would suggest this to op. Accountants are always in demand and it's a comfy office job where you can work by yourself and you won't have to deal with stupid customers like in retail. I will tell you that I am 23 and that I got my first job at Walmart (where I currently work) and I put on the application that I had a college degree. I had an interview with my manager and he said "anyone can work at Walmart" implying that college degree or not, anyone can get hired there. He has an associates degree. I have a BA. You can try Walmart in the mean time until you go into Graduate studies. WM has high turnover rates. Be willing to take any job though they offer. Do maintenance or cart pushing if they have it even if it's undesirable.
>>
>>29758966
Yo, what do I write in my personal statement for the AAMC? Also i'm not writing my MCAT until August, am I fucked?
>>
>>29756650
You're just overqualified man. Simple as that.

You're set to work jobs that (in theory should) demand more from you. These minimum wage shit-tier jobs aren't going to challenge you, interest you or keep you around for long. A seasonal employee will probably last longer than you.

They'll hire you and you'll be out the door before training is done and if not you'll be gone faster than a seasonal. It's not worth the paperwork for them and it's really not worth your time either.
>>
>>29758999
Im sure you have already applied for Walmart but just understand that it's probably not because of your degree. Like I said, I got hired at WM with a five year degree and no job experience. If I can do it, you can too op. Keep trying.
>>
>>29759009
Are you applying this year? It's kind of late for primaries isn't it? But your best bet is to be honest, or at least be honest with a twist. Why do you want to be a doctor, other than the prestige/money (btw those will feel meaningless very soon).

If you haven't taken your MCAT yet I would really recommend waiting until the next cycle, that way you can get your app really strong for next year. If you apply and fail, its much harder to get in the second time.
>>
12 hours later and OP is still sperging out about this?
>>
>>29759058
Yeah, applications opened in June but i'm not writing my MCAT until August because Canadian and I had pharmacy board exams to finish.

Why is it harder to get in after applying and failing? My ECs are pretty solid and i'm worried I won't be able to get my letters of recommendations if I wait another year since i'll be out of school for so long.
>>
>>29758940
I've been browsing/posting on /r9k on and off for years. You're hilarious as well.

>>29758939
>B-but they have a job and you don't so they are obviously more successful than you currently.

Yeah, I get that. But that wasn't what I was getting at, faggot.

>>29758966
I really am not trolling, and yes I already admitted I was a fresh college graduate. What part of that did you not understand? I clearly stated I just graduated college, secondly maybe I do have an inflated sense of self-worth, I don't think I do but it's possible.

>>29759020
I am sending out resumes to bigger companies on the side, I just simply wanted a job to make some pocket cash and get me out of the house 20 to 40 hours a week, hell I'd even accept part time. I just wanted a shit tier job on the side until something better came along, I guess I should just focus more on finding a long term white collar job, but I haven't been having luck. I also stated that I don't even fucking know what I can do with my degree, or what jobs to really apply for.

I put my resume on Monster.com and I've been getting a lot of insurance agencies and pyramid scheme companies wanting me to come and sell insurance or go door to door selling a product, fuck that noise. I want a nice comfy office job, possibly human resources. I think I'd be good in human resources and it would utilize my communication degree, sadly I can't find any entry level human resource jobs in my neighboring metropolis cities.

I live in Texas if anyone is curious, Dallas and Austin don't have a lot of ENTRY LEVEL HR jobs or anything of that nature. It's all fucking pyramid scheme door to door sales jobs and insurance agency jobs, that's it.

>>29758999
>>29759051
I worked for Wal-Mart twice in my life already, first time as a summer Sales Associate in Lawn and Garden and second time as a Night Stocker, the first time I quit because of school, the second time I walked out without giving notice because the management was moronic.
>>
>>29759073
Yes, yes I am. Don't like it then leave the thread and go shit post somewhere else.
>>
>>29759116
Have you tried hitting up a career center?
They might be able to point you in the right direction.
>>
>>29759116
>he wants to work in human resources

god help us
>>
>>29759107
To add to that, as an example I talked about how I always loved learning about science and shit, but at the same time I've always loved interacting with people and making a difference in people's lives. Then I wrote some shit about how medicine is the perfect combination of those two things. My essay was absolute shit though because i suck at writing.

Unfortunately though, most schools will have reviewed apps around september and have sent out the bulk of their interviews out by that point (well, probably like 60%). If your score isn't even there, then they cant really rank your app so they'll set you aside.

It's harder to get in because if you fail once, you're flagged as a "failure" for the next year. Get your letter of recs now, but you dont have to apply with them now. Although if you're canadian, maybe it doesnt actually make a difference when you apply, I don't know.
>>
>>29759116
but you've never had a job, have you?
I'm not saying they are inherently more successful than you, just that what you're getting at is divorced from reality.

a walmart worker might have the same degree you have, but also have dependents/the work ethic to not sit on his ass pining for a career that does not exist.
What you're getting at is that people judge low wage workers as unsuccessful, but... I don't know if you're correct since the majority of people who have actually had a job at one point worked in food service or retail.
Just... I vaguely understand you're point, but I think it's more of a trope than an actual perception held by human beings
>>
>>29756650
It just sounds like you don't have a job because you are a shitty person, that's all.
>>
>>29759172
Okay, thanks for the advice man. Honestly i'm hoping they look at my pharmacy degree and experience making medical recommendations to people as a big positive. My only hope is pretty much Wayne State because of how competitive things are and they reserve 20% of their spots for Canadians. Sucks that they're decided my September.
>>
>>29759172
you're getting job offers at insurance companies but are complaining about wagecuck jobs not hiring you because you have a degree?
Maybe I've misread this thread, but you should probably take whatever you can get and just leave it when you find something you actually want
Jobs wouldn't be calling you for an interview and then dismissing you once they read that you're a freshman, you probably just interview poorly or are bad at communicating your strengths
>>
>>29759116
>>except 50k
>> 95% black
>> "than"
Instead of then
>>ineffectually verbally assaults all robots with advice
>> communications studies

Inb4 comback
Dude the problem is that your sights are aimed too low. You need to apply towards 1-2 college graduate worthy places a day and followup a week later until something sticks. Honestly you may need to work a few places until you even know what you're looking for and then finding a good fit is a whole different story
>>
>>29759285
a fine gentlemen such as him wouldnt be mared by such quanderies
>>
>>29759172
Sucks at spelling. Sucks at arguments. Sucks at being personable. Sucks at communicating with communications degree. The guy who blasted you about applying at McDonald's and telling them you were a doctor was a better communicator than tou
>>
>>29759270
Not completely decided but mostly. There are a few other schools that take you Canadians, go look on sdn.

It's kind of surreal how I came to this website while freaking out about getting into college and how I'm giving advice on how to get into med school. Time has past by too quick
>>
>>29759406
Yeah, I remember talking to you when you were in your first year. Man, I really don't want to be fucked but it's so competitive and timing has screwed me over. ;_;

Do you enjoy med school or do you regret it? I'm not even sure I want to do it.
>>
>>29759448
I'm already 2 years out of school man. Med school was a good time. You can work as hard or as little as you want, as long as you have your priorities straight and aren't aiming for something like dermatology

If you don't think you can get your app stronger next year, then fuck it go apply now. Working in a lab or in industry for a year is never a bad option though
>>
>>29756650
weird, cuz to me it seems like people are stigmitized for not having a uselss degrees.

have you tried not listing your education on the job app? surely that mustve crossed your mind.
>>
>I just simply wanted a job to make some pocket cash and get me out of the house 20 to 40 hours a week, hell I'd even accept part time

Kaufman lives
>>
>>29759500
The only thing i'd do would be working as a pharmacist so it may boost it, I don't know, it's hard to tell. Unfortunately because of my schooling I have no lab experience but my pharmacy did hand out drugs from medical studies.
>>
File: 1444887601535.jpg (177 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
1444887601535.jpg
177 KB, 650x560
This whole thread is just Elliot Rodgers if he had actually made it through college. Holy shit.
>>
>>29759168
What's wrong with human resources? I'd probably do a better job of it than you could.

>>29759187
I've had about 10 jobs or so in my life.

>>29759351
>Expects perfect grammar on the internet, on a cantonese weeaboo board.

Even people with P.h.D's don't use proper grammar and spelling on the internet, get off your high horse.

>>29759404
>Sucks at spelling. Sucks at arguments. Sucks at being personable. Sucks at communicating with communications degree.

I'm OP and what the fuck are you even talking about, I never bashed or told anyone not to apply at McDonald's. You probably didn't even read the whole thread, moron. Also I'd like to think I communicate better than half the people on this board, a lot of you are anti-social misanthrope's with no social skills.

Most of you don't even know what communication studies teaches, or what we even learn. Yeah, we learn how to communicate better but it's more than that. Don't try to act like you know anything about it, that's like me saying "Oh you majored in Forestry so can you tell me everything about forests and nature?" Seriously people like to think they know everything about another person's major when they really don't know anything about it.

Communication Studies wouldn't be a major if it wasn't deeper than what people think it is, they only see it as surface level. I had to take like 12 or 13 communication classes for my major, a lot of stuff I learned in the classes are things some of you have probably never heard of. Sure, you might think it's useless information to know, but I thought it was enlightening and interesting.

Some of you could probably use some interpersonal communication classes so you can learn how to communicate and relate with women, maybe it'd help your relationship/love life.
>>
>>29760441
And to add onto that, why even bash another person's major? Seriously you don't see me shaming or berating anyone else's major in this thread. Even the people who majored in fucking Philosophy and what not probably know more about philosophy than the general public, maybe it won't help them get a job but if it's something they enjoyed learning about and had a passion for it than good for them.

If you wanted to be a doctor and go to med school then congrats, that's an achievement and not everyone can do so more power to ya. I'm not trying to be an asshole and shame or bash people for their education and major choices in college, if anything half of you are more arrogant and rude than I'm being, and that's saying something.
>>
>>29760441
I don't know if people are bashing your major so much as chuckling at how poorly you communicate given that major

if a random schmuck couldn't identify tree species or diseases it might not make him a laughable person but if a forestry major was unable to it would demonstrate incompetence and in doing so be ridiculous
>>
>>29760690
You do realize that communicating on the internet and communicating in a physical setting are two completely different things, of course I'm not "communicating" that well, but it's the fucking internet.

If we were hanging out physically it'd be much different, you're kind of judging my communication skills based off how I'm communicating on the internet. Which is not really fair, everyone acts and says however and whatever they want to on the internet. I can easily saw you're all TERRIBLE communicators based off how you're communicating.
>>
>>29760788
It's easy to judge and make assumptions about people on the fucking internet, we all do it. You're all strangers to me and I'll never meet any of you in my life, you don't know me and we've never had a physical face to face conversation so you can only ASSUME so much based off my posts on this thread. Also like I said, the internet really distorts a person's personality. You can act and behave however you want to on the internet, doesn't mean you behave that way when physically around others and socializing with people outside of the internet.

Overall how I act on the internet is a lot different from how I talk, interact and socialize with people off the internet. I like to think that goes for most people, so saying "I'm a terrible communicator" is a big assumption that you're making off my communication skills via the internet and not in an actually physical social setting or environment.
>>
>>29760788
re-read your posts man, these are judgements not assumptions
you can say anyone is bad at communicating but the irony isn't there for most
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.