[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are psychologists a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Lately I've been feeling really bad, constant crying and finally realized I should get help. Anyone have any experience with these guys? I think that maybe I would have false expectations for a psychologist to magically help me overcome sadness.
>>
I've heard it said that not all of them are terrible.

I have yet to met one who wasn't at least a bit shit though.

The clincher is a psychologist can't make you do anything against your will; they can convince you to try, but you may have to "let" them, which sorta works, but also sorta doesn't, especially when you just end up rolling your eyes and going along with whatever they suggest as a form of lip-service whilst subconsciously chanting the mantra "This is stupid This is stupid This is stupid This is stupid This is stupid This is stupid This is stupid This is stupid"
>>
>>29718543
I like them, they gave me meds that fixed me
>>
>>29718543
Well, I have been in contact with them for the past year and a half and it has helped me a bit.
The biggest benefit was getting an actual diagnosis for my problems and they helped me get into some special school that focusses on IT because I have autism.

I had many talks, which did shed some light on the whole situation and things I can do to improve myself but overall the talks itself don't bring much change and since there is no cure I was told that the best thing I can do is learn to adept as best as possible, talking about possible solutions help a bit but not as much as I would like to.

Anyway, healthcare at least kept it affordable.
>>
It's all a meme. Just like university. Paying exorbitant amounts of money for "guidance" and just end up doing all the leg work yourself.

Think of psychologists as a rent a friend service. Believe it or not venting on this board will give you a cathartic crutch to lean on - free too.
>>
>>29718543
They definitely help, therapy is proven to be effective at treating pretty much every disorder, and is a lot more than just talking to them about shit like so many retards say.

Meds are good, but don't do them until you know therapy doesn't work, because you'll have to do therapy anyway nearly definitely.

They'll help you, but you still have to work really fucking hard at it, they just give you the tools to do so, and ways of approaching issues.
>>
>>29718598
Psychologists did? You sure it wasn't a psychiatrist, bud?

>>29718597
>>29718882
I'd say these guys are spot on in this comments. Listen to them, OP.

>>29718672
How many have you actually been to and persisted with beyond a couple of sessions? You sound like someone who hasn't visited many at all and just instantly made up your mind after seeing 1-3 of them. Many are shit, sure, but far from all of them, and just like >>29718597 and >>29718882 pointed out, they are completely unable to get rid of your issues if you don't fully cooperate and believe in their methods.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.