[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /goals/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (211 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
211 KB, 1920x1080
Someday I want to live in western Oregon, sort of a Gravity Falls/True Blood kind of feel, although not quite that rural. Currently I'm in Nevada so I'm closer than I was in Dallas. Just quit my job here, have a few months' living expenses saved and I'm trying to motivate myself to find one out there.

I may be a completely socially-impaired cringe machine, but I've achieved goals before and I think I can do this one.

I'd also like to build my own house, it's pretty do-able once I get a decent-paying job. Can pick up a decent piece of property outside most towns (a few acres) for a few thousand dollars, then total cost-of-materials (if you do all the work yourself) is only a few thousand more for a small single-story. Of course, this does mean I'd need to find a job that gave me enough extra money to buy these things while still paying rent and all those other necessities.
>>
That would make a great copypasta
>>
>>24501631
Sounds like a pretty nice setup you got planned there bro.

I'm currently trying to decide on my future here too. Coming off of a great senior season, I'm split between continuing to play football at the collegiate level and opting for a state school right now. I'm not D1 level, but a lot of liberal arts colleges like Williams and Amherst want me to take visits up, but I'm unsure about playing. Who knows what'll happen but it's pretty exciting to see it all pan out.
>>
>>24501680
What? It looks like a pretty shitty copypasta to me, honestly.

Do I come across as that much of a meme?

>>24501835
Wouldn't rec. a liberal arts college, but hey, I've seen many people make it work.

If you can get any decent sports scholarships, it's probably a pretty good deal. I'm sure playing on the team would make the social life a lot more bearable, too. Football players are definitely more socially competent than your average LoL wanker, but it's kind of a meme that they're all these 'roided-up Chads. There are some pretty good people on the team, I'm sure. Popular people are sometimes popular because they're just fun to be around and make you feel happy.
>>
File: 78965654.png (56 KB, 290x301) Image search: [Google]
78965654.png
56 KB, 290x301
>>24501631
Make my waifu ritual and kill myself for her.
>>
>>24502297
If your waifu ritual is a good one, then I'd say that's a respectable goal.
>>
As a native Oregonian, no.

>Decent piece of land near the coast for a few thousand

lol no sorry, silicone valley chads have bought everything for vacationing, so enjoy paying premium.

Seriously if you want to get away from all the shit of the word and fuck the normies, go to the high desert. That's where I'm moving to
>>
>>24501631
our goals are very very similar
>>
For some time I've wanted to read and understand Hegel. That's probably the closest thing to a goal I have left at this point.
>>
I just want to learn how to skate and play hockey.
>>
>>24501631
I would suggest against moving to Oregon. You and everyone else in the goddamn country decided it is the place to be, thus ruining what made it good in the first place. If you like traffic, lots of shitty california drivers, pollution, and incredibly hot dry summers caused by muh global warming and urban expansion come on over.

Most of the rural area that california and midwest shitters haven't moved to yet are occupied by old ass locals who will hate your guts and country ass mother fuckers who will also hate your guts.

Stay where you are, or move to a remote village in Canada
>>
>>24502444
>go to the high desert
I'm in the high desert. It sucks. But you really can pick up a several-acre lot for 2-4 grand.

I'm not talking about resort homes outside Portland or seaside properties, and I know there's a lot of empty land in Bumfuck Nowhere, OR. True, I haven't priced it, and I know land in NV is way cheaper, but I figure I can find something somewhere.

I've lived in high desert (Nevada) for three years, and it's not miserable, but it's nowhere I'd want to build a house and settle down long-term.
>>
File: 1448306289730.jpg (392 KB, 1771x1100) Image search: [Google]
1448306289730.jpg
392 KB, 1771x1100
I want to become immortal in a superior vessel. Also I want to make it so everyone in the world has greater control over their life.

Every other goal I have is related to those 2.
>>
>>24502742
>remote village in Canada
I like places where ice sometimes melts when you put it outside.
>stay where you are
top lel, anyone who sees Nevada as acceptable place to spend your life reeks of defeat.

>implying I care that other people will hate my guts
>implying that's different from anywhere else
Also, sounds like you think I want to move to Portland and be a hipster. Portland's a cancer on your state, practically Seattle minus the few cool parts. It's a beautiful land and it's still relatively sparsely-populated, and it's coastal. Places like that are awful hard to find in Burgerland.
>>
>>24502836
>become immortal in a superior vessel
I could see, within the next few decades, pretty much everything but the brain being possible to replace with essentially-immortal synthetic components. Too bad your brain's far too complex for modern computer engineering to replace with anything. Plus, then you're getting into the "is it still me or just a robot copy of me that thinks it's me" territory, but I'm guessing you don't care too much about that.
>>
>>24502870
Oregonian here. GTFO people moving here in dtoves is completely ruining the state. I'm thjnking of moving its gotten so shitty here
>>
>>24502944
Cool, you wanna swap? I'm in Nevada and it's so shitty I can't imagine anyone wanting to move here yet we still have new houses/apartments going up every year
>>
>>24502912
It is just about preserving myself untill it becomes possible to simulate my brain or gradually replace it with components that do not decay.

About the identity issue, it is a non issue from various perspectives.
-It is not me but I wont care anyway since I cease to exist and a immortal copy replaces me.
-It is me. Success.
-I am already not me from t-1, so it is irrelevant since we are constantly stopping from being me from any given point in time.
-It is also me, just like the same operating system running on two different computers.
-Continuity either is or is not necessary for this version of me to still be the same person. If it is, then every time we lose conciousness we die and then another version of ourselves takes our place once we "reboot". If it isnt, then whi gives a shit
>>
>>24501631
OP here, general criticism is that people are moving to Oregon in droves, but honestly pretty much every Burger state (no experience with other countries) is only growing in population. Arizona's the only place I can think of where I've ever driven through an area that used to be populated, and isn't anymore.

And I'm a huge fan of the ocean, as many others on this board I'm solitary (either by choice or because I'm so cringe-y, depending on the day) and there's something incredibly different about being solitary by the ocean or in a thick Oregonian forest than in a shitty Arizona desert -- beautiful though they can be.

Sometimes, if people are moving somewhere, it means it's a good place to be. Plus, back to the "property" issue, if I build my house on my own property it means I'll never have to deal with a lot of the stuff that tenants, or even new owners who move into existing neighborhoods, have to deal with.
>>
>>24503114
>I am already not me from t-1
Perspective understood, the difference I'm pointing to is a "continuation of existing self-aware entity" vs. "creation of entirely new entity, former entity still exists and will experience death, although new entity possesses all former memories and even believes itself to be old entity" issue.

Sounds like you don't care, though.

Do you care about your body, if 'you' end up being a sentient computer program with no motorized parts would you give a shit?
>>
>>24503218
I think the continuation of myself as a self aware entity is an illusion created by our brains to make sense of shit and so we operate in a coherent manner given our configuration. So in a sense I am already on the second case you point out, only that both enitities never get to coexist since one is in t and the other one in t-1. Besides I will probably try to shoot for both methods: brain replacement and brain simulation. It would be really funny if this approacb is what causes a genuine divergence between simulatedfag (or fags) and replacedfag.
>>
>>24503542
>>24503218
About the last question, no, I would not care that much but would still seek a vessel to do shit. In fact if I can exist in both states, that would be neat.
>>
I want to establish my own family, get nice wife and kids, and get rich or at least sufficiently wealthy in the long run. So far I'm sucking at the first part, being 26 KV and all, but at least I have a job and I keep educating myself to earn more in the future.

>>24502836
And becoming long-lived would be pretty sweet in the future.
>>
>>24501631
I've known a lot of people who have built their own houses. Usually takes them a few years (big houses) but it proves very worthwhile, very fulfilling and very economical in the end. Wish you the best of luck!
>>
>>24504323
I know a couple, until a week ago I was working on one myself.

A family-sized house will absolutely take a few years at the absolute minimum if you do your own work, but a one-story single-bedroom residence wouldn't take too long. Depends on the ground you're building it on as much as the house/labor itself, too.

I haven't designed anything yet so I don't have any realistic time estimates, which would be rough estimates anyway since it'd be a project done in my spare time, but I could build something ready to move into within six months no problem. After that, I'm already living at my own place and the rest is not much more pressing than cosmetic work.

A single-story simplifies a lot of things, too. Electrical and plumbing are far easier, structural requirements (and thus cost) are far lower, and work goes much faster when nothing is any higher than a single-story roof.
>>
Be back in Colorado by spring. Even if I go there with nothing I'm still going.
>>
>>24504826
What's in CO? I've been there once on vacation, beautiful place but a bit cold (and definitely more than a bit landlocked) for me. Absolutely beautiful.

I'd share photos, but they're also on Facebook and I'm paranoid one of you fucks will reverse-search them and out me publicly as the kind of faggot who browses these boards.
>>
File: 1435433225939.jpg (166 KB, 853x1280) Image search: [Google]
1435433225939.jpg
166 KB, 853x1280
Become self employed or go all in on a startup with one of my friends.

Weigh <140 pounds. <3 hour marathon. Visible abs.

I want to suck on some nice, fat tits. kv but I don't even care about getting a gf at this point.
>>
>>24504876
I lived there for two months earlier this year. It was the only time I've really been happy so I'm going back. Last time I was living on the street so I'm going to do it like that again.

Going to migrate from Colorado in the summer and California in the winter. Just live free and do whatever the fuck I want to do.
>>
>>24501631
>leaving Dallas for the Sahara

you colossal retard
>>
File: CountOfMonteCristo.jpg (35 KB, 320x400) Image search: [Google]
CountOfMonteCristo.jpg
35 KB, 320x400
Had no goals, was in bliss. Life was great. Found out that the gf cheated on me. Plotting to get her into massive credit card debt, get her working at a brothel (it's legal here), spread nudes and brothel ads to her family, possibly knock her up, and leave her here in a foreign country in debt, disowned by family, and faced with the prospect single motherhood or abortion (she's Catholic so it'll probably be single motherhood).

Shouldn't have cheated on me, now I have goals.
>>
>>24504905
>self employed
Kind of sucks, construction firms are the only ones I can name off the top of my head where you stand a realistic chance (unless you suck, in which case you won't) of making decent money and (maybe) not working 60-hour weeks.

Weight is easy, seriously, just eat healthy foods and less often. You don't even have to actively do anything, just choose not to do something.

>>24504932
Sounds like a rough life, but i guess there's some appeal to it or you wouldn't be doing it. You /van/ or just find somewhere to camp out or what?
>>
>>24504905
OMG sooo hot
>>
>>24505052
Programming. Around here extremely untalented people charge 10k just to setup a shitty wordpress site. Plus I would have my own projects on the side.
>>
File: TgRqdEO.jpg (31 KB, 750x1035) Image search: [Google]
TgRqdEO.jpg
31 KB, 750x1035
Yeah I have a goal.

It's to get laid.
>>
>>24504976
I couldn't stand Dallas for so many reasons. First off, I'm an idiot and grew up in a small town thus developing no urban-youth-survival skills. It's a miracle I was never shot.

Second, the city goes on forever. Seriously. Dallas-Fort Worth area, I can drive in one direction for hours and not leave developed land. If I take the wrong exit on the freeway it might take me 15 minutes to get back to where I was. I hate the city.

Also, the land around Dallas is absolutely unremarkable. Even the rare undeveloped land, far away from the city, is just featureless and flat. I can see the Sierra Nevadas from my bedroom window, the first 4wheel trailhead starts 1000' from my front door and will take me all the way to the mountain peaks.

Plus, Reno is ridiculously cheap. Know what I pay for my apartment? Two flatmates, we each have our own bedroom, full kitchen, large living room, and two-car garage, and we each pay $350/mo. Nice neighborhood, too, not shitty inner-city or basically-projects stuff.
>>
>>24505119
No shit. That's not bad, I'd only ever heard of programming being a thing you did for larger companies. Nice.

>>24505136
Rent a hooker if you're buttfuck ugly. Fuck a slut with low standards if you're not.
>>
As someone in western oregon right now, its not as glamorous as yiu think from your retard child cartoons. It's wet and cold half of the year and hot as ass the rest. It's mainly political correct white liberals who hate anyone who disagrees with their narrowminded way of thinking.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.