[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some video games that aren't absolute shit and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Fib2sWc.png (78 KB, 282x300) Image search: [Google]
Fib2sWc.png
78 KB, 282x300
What are some video games that aren't absolute shit and have some artistic merit to them? I've recently started to expand my tastes in film and literature and now would like to explore video games. I would post on /v/ but I just went there for the first time and got a headache.
>>
>>29559886
Drakengard
Silent Hill 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
>>
>>29559905
>silent hill 2
good taste my dude
>>
File: Angela Face.png (259 KB, 618x630) Image search: [Google]
Angela Face.png
259 KB, 618x630
I recommend Silent Hill 2 if you're looking for video games with some artistic merit- it tells its story in a way that only a video game can, through enemy and environment designs as well as notes. I consider it art because it tells a good story in a way a movie could not really.

Also the music is wonderful. I highly recommend you play it then read about all the symbolism online. It's worth playing 1 and 3 after that if you like it (they have the same thing, but 3 is a direct sequel to 1 and 1 is less accessible, so I recommend you start with 2 to see if you enjoy.

Here are some download links if you'd like. All safe, I have used them multiple times myself. Will run on any PC really, although 1 requires a PS1 emulator.

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

And in case someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like PowerIso to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
>>
>>29559886
tried bloodborne? Its not very deep art but its sure intense as hell.

Its like the most intense dead nature you could look at.
>>
Lone Survivor.
I was only going to post the name but given those other replies i should add that the developer made a demake of a Silent Hill game (maybe the first? I'm not sure) and LS itself is influenced by the series.
>>
>>29559957
It's not a remake or anything, it's just a spiritual successor of sorts. The item pick up noise is straight from SH, cool enough. Good suggestion though.
>>
>>29559886
I started playing Lisa today, best game I've played in about five years. It's got a lot of meaningful messages in the story too, I think it's what you're looking for.
>>
>>29559886
Braid, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dishonored, LIMBO, The Stanley Parable, Transistor, Dark Souls.

These are a few that I found to be good instances of "games as an art". Maybe you'll like some, too?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.