[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to get out of robotism thread : Stories and advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 231321312.jpg (19 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
231321312.jpg
19 KB, 396x385
Describe your problems, if they're fixable, and your attempts to fix them.

>Social anxiety, metaphysical angst, depression, very bored, other than that I'm not ugly and even kind of cute, but with a really feminine face, I could be a qt female, turns out I have a penis.

Currently trying to fix myself. I began 6 months ago by stoping the Internet and asking myself what was wrong with me. Turns out the two main things are an absence of hobbies that make me uninteresting to the others, and a constant anxiety that make me paranoid and shit. I began to try to read philosophy, a lot, to find answers in order to calm myself, and to have something to say to other persons too. Turns out it worked a little, I read a lot of books non-stop during 3 months, and traded /r9k/ for /lit/. I didn't find absolute answers, but it at least helped me to understand the main reasons of my angst. Then I began to talk to random group of people in my town which is easy because I live in a touristic destination, so a lot of young people gather outsides. Was hard as fuck to get out my comfort zone, the first week I stayed outside all day looking at people without daring to approach them. Then the first tries were kind of cringy with a lot of sphagettis, but something is really cool about approaching people, even if you get violently rejected, you still gain confidence. I finally managed to make me a good group of friends, where I basically play the edgy intellectual card. I think I will soon be able to have more random discussions and be more normal socially, but for now I'm at ease only talking philosophy, and find people who like me for that. Still didn't attempt anything with wymenz, through. I'm still too scared I guess, had kind of little occasions but let them pass, hope I will be able to soon approach girls and react when someone is interested in me. The main thing is that I'm still scared of being judged about my kissless virginity (I'm 22).

>get out normie.
If I succeed I will.
>>
I'm a total unfixable autist.
>>
>Fat as fuck
- Started going on walks every day, I had time, and nothing better to do so why not? Started counting calories, too, stopped grazing. Again, I haven't tried it before, so what did I have to lose? I guess. Dropped 25 pounds. Start going to the gym at uni...its nice to have a regular routine when you have spare time to fill, and most gyms, at least ones that aren't for crazy powerlifters, are surprisingly robot friendly - everyone keeps to themselves, plug your headphones in and its just you and the weights.
Eventually 25 pounds lost turned into 50, which turned into 75, which turned into 100. Its surprising how manageable this was when, again I had spare time to fill, and not a ton of cash. Eventually I'd start lifting heavier, drinking whey protein, got a pretty decent (but not crazy swole bod). Took 1.5 years overall, still hit the gym regularly, but not quite as often as I used to (3-4 times a week instead of daily).

>Lack of independence
Got shitty part time job - pretended to act normal until it felt normal - save up some cash, buy a shitty Honda, find an apartment. I guess I thought of it less as this scary/intimidating thing and more of just going through the motions.

>Can't talk to girls
Get a job at a bar (lots are desperate for help, surprisingly). Work the door. Am now forced to talk to girls as a part of my job. Since I work there they didn't shit on me too much and they often had a reason to talk to me or ask me something. Felt weird at first, but I thought of myself as an employee, not "me." As time went on this felt more natural, the lines blurred, eventually started chatting up and ask girls out there. Again, what did I have to lose? What is nerve wracking? Fuck yes. But if I did NOTHING then nothing would change.

>(Cont'd)
>>
>>29548447
>No longer broke, but now a wagecuck
Find classes at uni I don't suck at and don't loathe (business, stats, psych). Load up on them. 2 yrs or so pass (while losing weight, working at bar) and I come close to graduation. Dad buys me a decent cheap suit (thanks dad) and I start hitting job boards, career fairs, networking events. Cobble together a portfolio of class projects and ad hoc projects I did on my own time. Go into events/conversations/interview with A.) The mindset that I am pretending to be someone with experience and authority, hence the suit, not "me."...and B.) The expectation that I will get brushed off or not considered (again, telling myself idgaf either way). The more and more this happens the better and better I get at selling this character in the suit I am trying to play. Eventually talk my way into getting an job offer, accept it. Realize real white collar jobs are for the most part butt-fuck easy so long as you have some super basic skills and aren't 1000% autistic. Save up some money, buy a Honda that isn't shitty.

And here I am now. If I made it sound easy its because it is...or rather, its only as hard as you make it out to be. If you recognize that you're bored with nothing happening in your life and make yourself numb to what people might think of you (a fuck everything, I'm tired of this shit but I'm not going to do NOTHING) then its just a matter of persistence and patience.
>>
>>29548582
OP here, well done anon. Very motivational, will try to continue my road with the biggest step in front of me, girls.

Your road was clearly more difficult than mine. I '' only '' had to deal with psychological issues, even through I might do some sport in the future. I don't know, as I said I'm skinny with feminine traits, and I try to dress well ( thanks /fa/ ). I think that it somehow fit very well my edgy intellectual character, and is more aesthetically coherent. Do you think I should try to get fit ?
>>
>>29548748
Glad to help - and glad to hear that you're making an effort in the right direction.

Playing off a non-masculine physique with a heavy dose of wit and edge is doable...but some might find it obnoxious. Being clever's a fine thing, but sometimes a guy just needs to play it straight. I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as you are putting yourself out there and trying to be genuine.

I'd say definitely get fit: you don't need to get super swole (that would take enormous effort), but by adding a simple weight routine to your schedule, say 3 times a week, supplemented by protein shakes and big dinners, you'll be at a place where girls' eyes will light up when you remove your shirt (again looking decent/good, not like Charles Atlas...you'd be surprised at how many chads and dudebros have fucking awful bodies, and how easy it is to outdo them with a bit of patience and persistence).

Dressing well is also great! Good work so far.
And keep it up with the psychological stuff too, I'm diagnosed bipolar so I know it can be tough.
>>
>>29548924
>tfw when /fa/ tells me to stay skinny cause that's the only acceptable mode to have good aesthetics and /fit/ to gain weight because that's the only acceptable mode to have good aesthetics.

I will try to follow your advice through, because /fa/ doesn't seem very at ease with girls in general. They basically /r9k/ with 2000$ shirts.

Thanks ! I will look on /fit/ on how to upgrade myself.

A little personal question if that's not too private : Were you a virgin before you decide to quit robotism ? If so, what's the reaction of the first girl you met ( and ar what age ). As I said, I'm really anxious about being judged and I think that it is what stop me to react to girls who are interested.
>>
>>29547479
>Depression
I tried going to a therapist, but I can't drive and working makes it so that I can't get a ride. I smoke a lot of weed, but it just makes me more depressed.

>Unattractive
My work is pretty physical, so it's been helping me lose weight. Once it starts to get easier I may consider working out in addition to it.

Unfortunately, my face is pretty much unsalvageable. When I posted my it here in the past, I got told that I looked like Foggy Nelson with FAS. I'm going to try getting a haircut today. I have no idea what kind of haircut to get or what kind of clothes to wear. I just wear shit from goodwill and tie my hair up in a ponytail.

>Terrible sleep

This is caused mostly by stress and my cats waking me up in the middle of the night. I can't do much about the former, but I can take care of the latter by making sure all of my cats are inside before I go to sleep. My work is what stresses me out. It's concrete, so it's not really that mentally demanding, but I constantly worry about whether or not I'm working hard enough, and the physical necessity of sleep for the labor complicates my acquisition of it.
>>
>>29549208

Do whatever you have to do to get into a therapist. You probably have a legit reason to go.

I can tell because your cats are even able to fuck with your psyche and you don't think you are adequate for even a shit job.

I say keep working your job if it helps you lose weight and you are making good progress. Just keep doing what you are doing. Remember that you are absolutely well qualified for your job, so don't let your boss get inside your head.
>>
>>29549168
>"Basically /r9k/ with 2000$ shirts
Kek.

But yeah, I was still a virgin before I decided to quit robotism. First girl didn't really care because I was a nice guy (not a "nice guy," but a guy that was nice: respectful, straightforward, honest, but still flirty and fun). Unless she's a bitch most girls won't give you shit for it - most of them find it endearing/sweet. But yeah she was more than willing to show me the ropes and it never felt weird.
>>
I have a stable job, a car, my own place, take antidepressants and see a therapist. I'm still a kv introverted loser; I should probably attempt something like OP's described but I really can't get bothered to do it.

it's easier to DUDE WEED and 4chan
>>
>>29549409
>>29549208

also remember that you will be rewarded for your work even if you don't get paid much. I have a feeling you will learn from your experience at your shitty concrete job. I had a change of mindset after an eerily similar experience.
>>
>>29549409
>you don't think you are adequate for even a shit job

I didn't even think of it like that. Still, I was raised to see work ethic as a reflection of how good of a person you are. I'd probably stress out about any job.

My boss has said nothing but good things to me.
>>
File: 1418095564786.gif (280 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1418095564786.gif
280 KB, 400x388
I bought some nice shoes today and might also join the gym. Today is the first day of the rest of my life, maybe
>>
What if I have absolutely no desire for social interaction and give zero shits about societal norms and expectations? I'm content with my life and can easily interact with normies if I really have to, so do tell me why I should bother with bullshit "self-improvement" rituals.
>>
>>29549638
If you're content, why did you post in this thread?
>>
>>29549666
Because this thread is in some way making it sound like robotdom is a bad thing. What a waste of trips.
>>
>>29549703
It's a bad thing to people who want normie things out of life

Consider yourself lucky
>>
>>29549822
Also you're not even a robot to start with, you were just a failed normie all along. You can't get out of robotdom if you were never one to start with.
>>
>poor self-image

I have a really twisted view of myself. Id like some ideas from you guys about what I might be afflicted with.

Basically, I feel sick when I think about myself, or imagine how I appear in a situation. I just start to feel so embarrassed and believe I'm so pathetic I can feel the stress bubble up within me and I start doing weird shit. I start rubbing my face rigorously, or start shaking my head or something. I have these almost tics that i do when those sick feelings come up.

What do you think is going on robuts?

Basically I should go and see a therapist, but I've had various diagnoses, my latest one (social anxiety) I just don't think makes sense.

I know I know I'm not the professional, but still.
>>
>>29549888
So you're mad about people acting like they're part of your super autist club? Can't you see that the specific definition of words matter less than their intended purpose? I'm a depressed kv with drug abuse problems, who gives a fuck if I'm a cyborg, robot, or failed normie? Whatever word you use doesn't change the fact that I hate myself.
>>
>>29549890
That sounds like social anxiety to me bud. I think that continuing to see a therapist is a good idea. Even if you're unattractive, you shouldn't have to feel ashamed about other people seeing you. The fact that you do hints at hidden neuroses.

I spend long periods of time staring at myself in the mirror until I become desensitized, like looking at gore. If you can accept that the face you have is the one you're stuck with, then you can work on resolving to fix the bad qualities that can be fixed, like weight problems, acne, and fashion sense. A well-dressed fit guy can still get by in life, even if he isn't conventionally attractive.
>>
>>29550173
Fair enough. It just feels like there's something more sinister going on.

I'm pleased you have coped with your issues but I have a bad view of how I behave, how my actions represent me as a person rather than anything aesthetic.
>>
>>29550254
What, like walking funny or standing awkwardly?
>>
>high school drop out
>hardworking burger flipper struggling to move out of my parents place
>anxious about living alone or fucking up and ending up homeless
>no gf
>dysthymia (google it, you might find it familiar)
>>
>>29550296
No, like if I made a joke in poor taste I would be very harsh to myself.

What I say and choose to do in social situations and how that reflects on me, basically.
>>
>>29549890
Op here.

I'm not an expert neither, but I think that most social anxiety problems came from a view of the world where you put the world ( i:e all the persons and the things that are external to you and that you can encounter in real life ) as what can give you or not a status. Thus, an absence of individuality, that makes you an object of the world and nothing more, and makes you vulnerable to critics etc.

You basically have to symbolically destroy other first, in order to develop your own self, and then you can make that individuality meet other individualities, without the fear of being judged, because you aren't an object that can be easily destroyed, but a person with an inner life.

I'm sorry, I don't have a really good english and I don't know If I'm understable. Basically that's what happens when I use my time reading philosophy, you develop something that is not subject to the critics of other, a inner individual self if you want. With that, you can meet people without the fear of being destroyed by them because a part of yourself is too private to be desteoyed. That doesn't mean that you should be manipulating and lie about yourself, that simply mean you should be abble to not see yourself entirely under the prism of the other.

Try to read Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard, it's the best book on relation to the other than I know.

The Wikipedia page is really well made and a good introduction/summary of the book :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Either/Or
>>
>>29550422
Thank you OP, I will be sure to give that a read.
>>
>>29550489
My pleasure dude.

Btw I was wrong on the article, the global wiki page is more detailed and explain the relation of the self to other according to the author better.
Read the 'three stages on life ' :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_Soren_Kierkegaard#Three_stages_of_life
>>
Why would I want to get out of robotism? I dont want to be a normie I just want a gf
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 402x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 402x599
>read the thread
>how to get out of robotism
>get fit
>get a better view of yourself
>read philosophy
>participate in city life.

>mfw the greeks were right

You just forget one thing : live according to ethics. The Athenian pill is now complete.
>>
>implying everyone wants to be a retarded normalfag
>>
>>29551033
Judging by the suffering and the hate that is shared here, that seems correct.
>>
>>29551013
Acropolis-core nigga.
>>
Over 30, severe anxiety due to aspergers (or autism specrum disorder) dependent on family because of shit job. I decide to work as hard as I can. I decided that since autism in incurable and I'll never be normal, I'll just work as hard as I can and improve as much as I can at work. I spend 3 years getting better. I get a raise, gain confidence, become able to talk to people with less difficulty, survive multiple bosses, get more raises, work harder, get better, start regaining the happiness I lost at puberty (that is when autism starts to fuck you hard) I now have enough money in my bank account to move into my own apartment with enough hours and pay to live comfortably and maybe get a newer car with my next tax return. It's a great story, except for one thing: Over the past year my hands have started shaking. There is always a muscle twitching somewhere on my body. I've started hurting myself at work constantly. I've almost been in several car wrecks because my limbs sometimes have lag. I'm going to lose everything because I probably have parkinsons. I'm still going to get my own place. Right now my only goal is to make it there and see if I can get laid because it's impossible in my current situation. Once I lose my job I'll be a physically disabled autist dependent on family or the government until I die.
>>
>>29547479
Great job on making this thread OP. /r9k/ desperatly needs this information. Personally, I've been going to the gym and find it extremely enjoyable. I'm currently looking for some good hobbies.
>>
>>29549168
The truth is it doesn't really matter. But being fit makes you feel a lot better about yourself and with that comes a lot of confidence which might make you more attractive to others, or atleast that was the case for me. Getting fit was the key to getting rid of my virginity. Btw I'm not the guy that you replied to I just saw your post and yes I am a normie and yes I will get out sorry for bothering ya'll.
>>
I just got two jobs. I'm clawing my way out
>>
File: Pepestotle.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
Pepestotle.png
103 KB, 624x434
>>29551830
>tfw that philosophy degree you were forced to get isn't so useless after all
>>
>>29552766
>philosophy degree you were forced to get
expand on this please, I'm interested
>>
File: Aristotle.jpg (70 KB, 736x856) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle.jpg
70 KB, 736x856
>>29553398
Part of a terrible scholarship blood pact.
Only way to afford college since I showed philosophical promise.

Don't regret it. Learned a whole lot of great shit that honestly helped me get out of robothood.

But it's not super practical/viable as far as work and things are concerned.

>Aristotle
>Xenophon
>Buber
>Kierkegaard
>Camus
>Vico
>Marcus Aurelius

Some of my personal favorites.
>>
>>29553554
>Kierkegaard

OP here. He is teh shit.

Christian existentialism is best existentialism.
>>
No point in trying in life after a you turn 25 when you turn 25 that's both your physical and social peak if you haven't had sex, had a gf, or made any friends give up now cause once you turn 25 it'll just get worse and worse anon just kill yourself now before you have to live through more pain
>>
>>29553554
Interesting, I majored in English lit and Economics but of my own choice

I love Camus's work personally. I'm far from an expert on philosophy but he was a genuinely good writer.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.