[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it get better or worse in college? If I never lost my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
Does it get better or worse in college?

If I never lost my virginity or talked to any girls in high school is it just going to happen again or is it easier since I won't know anyone and there'll be more people?

pic unrelated new computer no pics
>>
>>29362945
You'll be a ghost, OP.
>>
>>29362945
Not much different from before, but a fresh Start. I'm where you are as well, we can do it. Good luck.
>>
1. High school "cliques" go away pretty quick. No more "cool kids" and "nerds" etc. People just don't give a shit about social status much anymore. Freshmen adjust to this over a couple months as they aren't used to it, but you'll see some chads wearing their high school jacket around for a bit at first, other people kind of chuckle at it behind their back so they lose it pretty quick.

2. Pretty easy to meet people in your major as you already have something in common. In high school, it's basically just a daycare, no one really has much in common with the people they are around. In college, you are in classes (well most) with others with at least 1 similar interest to you. If you are in comp sci, almost everyone else in the class will be into computers. If you are in engineering, everyone else is going to be into math and science.

3. Social gatherings tend to be much more open to everyone. Didn't do any frat/greek life stuff myself but I did get told about frat parties that were happening and everyone was invited so I could have gone. School organized events are also more meet and greet style stuff, makes it pretty easy to just talk to people.

4. Clubs and groups can be a thing that your high school may not have had. My high school didn't have any clubs outside of sports, but college had a variety you could join. They'd usually advertise themselves on some day soon after the start of the first semester.

5. Dorm life is something I didn't experience but I highly advise you do. I got to live at home, which probably saved me $20,000 over my time there, but if I could do it again I'd have stayed in dorms. You tend to meet other people you live around, all of you are likely out of your parents house for the first time in your life and everyone will get a little lonely and eager to meet others. I've heard suggestions that it's easy to meet people in dorms by just leaving your room door open and having a sign letting people know they can come in and meet you whenever.
>>
College ruined my life, but I know some people that got a lot out of it.

Just try to get out early if you're having a bad time.
>>
>>29363213
>1. High school "cliques" go away pretty quick. No more "cool kids" and "nerds" etc. People just don't give a shit about social status much anymore. Freshmen adjust to this over a couple months as they aren't used to it, but you'll see some chads wearing their high school jacket around for a bit at first, other people kind of chuckle at it behind their back so they lose it pretty quick.

They existed in high school in america? I always thought that was Hollywood and not real.

Not op btw
>>
>>29363289
They are heavily exaggerated in Hollywood, but it holds a grain of truth.
>>
>>29363054
Nothing I'm not used to. I have one friend going to the same college but me and him don't really have that much in common other than the fact we hung out with the same group. I mostly hung out with a group I've known since like 7th grade but now they'll be gone and I'm an awkward fuck around strangers and didn't have much friends outside of those people.
>>29363157
Good luck to you too man. It's going to be hard adjusting at first, but it'll be fun and a great opportunity to change things around.
>>29363213
That's a relief, high school was full of petty bullshit like that so glad to hear most people grow up in that regard. I have no clue what I want to major in at this point. I'm going to orientation in a month, is that a good opportunity to meet people (mainly girls)? My uni's fairly big and a large state school so there's probably a fuck ton of clubs and people interested in different shit. I am living in a dorm, already filled out the form and everything and financial aid grants are paying for half the tuition since i'm poor AF. I don't know how I'm going to handle a roommate though. I've definitely been considering a frat.

Wait people are just cool with randoms walking into their dorm rooms and talking to them? Is that a regular thing?
>>
kinda shitty if you ask me, i am in the first year(ending) i know some people and that but i am mostly a ghost.
much like high school.
i live in a dorm soo i get to know some people but most people keep to each other.
better than high school without my parents but most people really do not care about you, only if you are their best friends i think. i really cannot understand that sorry
>>
>>29363257
This as well. If you don't know what you intend to get out of college, don't go yet. Don't go to explore your options. total waste of money.

Also, advise I wish I had (and actually followed) when I went to college: What you know isn't as important as who you know. If you took two people, one who had perfect or near perfect grades but did no coop, went to no recruiting/networking events, made no friends, etc, and another person with a 3.0 who did all those things, the second person is going to have much better results from the money they made.

I've had probably 20 interviews since graduating and not a single one of them asked for a transcript or even questioned me about my grades. Employers, unless they are hiring fresh graduates at the very top of best in the country schools, don't give a fuck about grades. They care that you got a degree. Doing coop and recruiting events gets your foot in the door with lots of places, places that you can now contact, refer to the time you met so and so at an event, or the time you worked for them for 4-8 months and be almost guaranteed a job offer if one isn't already offered to you before you inquire.
>>
>>29363307
That actually Sounds horrible.
I guess I got Lucky in my country, because there was no grouping of people, the nerds talked to the Sport guys and the other way around. Acceptance was better I guess except for one or two hardliners.
>>
>>29363289
Yeah, they exist. It's not necessarily a bunch of douchebag jocks walking around shoving nerds in lockers, sticking their head in toilets and shit, but if there is a party, there tends to be a popularity limit, "you must be this popular to attend" implied. Social groups will congregate together and not be too welcoming to outsiders.
>>
>>29363335
>I'm going to orientation in a month, is that a good opportunity to meet people (mainly girls)?

Don't go to meet girls. Go to meet people. Seriously, just make friends. Having female friends isn't horrible (if they are actually friends and not just treating you like an orbiter) and can give you a lot of opportunities. You are friends with a couple girls and there is a party coming up that they invite you to. The girls invite their girl friends and implicitly vouch for you by introducing you to them and them to you. You make friends with them, anyone you are interested in you can see if they'd like to meet up just the two of you at a coffee shop or something and go from there.

Basically don't just treat it like "ask girl out, she said no, forget she exists, move on to next girl, repeat". That would be like applying for job after job without a resume of your past work or school experience. This girl you made friends with is basically your "relationship experience". It shows you can interact with women outside of a sexual context.
>>
>>29362945
For me it got really better. I only went to high school here for 6 months as I was between countries and moving. Couldn't even speak English when I started. Went to CC, now I'm VP of a club with 80% girls, and have so many friends I don't have time to hang out with all of them. I literally have to pretend im on my phone to avoid saying hi to people.
>>
>>29363500
>how to be an orbiter: the post
>>
>>29363694
Making friends is more important than chasing girls
>>
File: bread friend pepe.jpg (71 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
bread friend pepe.jpg
71 KB, 800x800
>>29362945
Its up to you to make it better.
>>
join a frat. i did and it saved college for me.

you'll be forced to make friends and you'll have a group of wingmen. as a bonus very unlikely for there to be any sjws or cucks, only based alphas who can actually help you become somebody.
>>
>>29363715
>becoming "friends" with a college-aged woman
What do you talk about with them? The latest episode of Criminal Minds? Low-fat yogurt brands? Do you have any idea how utterly banal the average woman's life is?
>>
It gets better if you make it better. I was a loser in high school and I got my shit together in college. But only because I tried.
>>
>>29363351
What job did you go in?
>>
if I'm a 24 year old virgin can I go to college for the first time and fuck a bunch of teenagers? or will I just be a creepy old guy
>>
>>29363849
Originally started out at a web development company but didn't like it so much, moved on to a small company making some CMS software for local businesses but got bored of that as well, decided I liked hardware and networking and security more so learned a bit about that. Moved on to another small tech company that did network and server support for hotels and restaurants (and some doctors/dentist offices) but that didn't last long as they lost some clients so now I'm at another company that does mostly the same (server and network support) for small/medium businesses.

Ideally I'd like to get into the same, but focus on security and network admin in government. Probably less pay overall, but less stress, better benefits, more stability etc.
>>
>>29363335
>Wait people are just cool with randoms walking into their dorm rooms and talking to them? Is that a regular thing?
Absolutely, especially if you live on the same dorm/floor and their doors are open and it's towards the beginning of the year. This is how I met many of my college friends.
>>
>>29363934
>This is how I met many of my college friends
Will they still befriend you if you're a boring unentertaining stammering fuck ._. ?
>>
It gets a little better, at least for the first year. Most people only know a handful of other students, if any, so they're all eager to meet new people. But after that first year, they've pretty much found all their friends, so it dies down after that.
>>
>>29363839
You obviously have no idea what the average woman's life is like because you don't interact with any.
>>
>>29363976
The only way to lose those qualities is to interact with people so you get better at it.
>>
>>29364046
It is somewhat hard though for those qualities in me to fade, since their traits that never make people want to hang out with me, and therefore I've had no genuine chances at interacting with people more and losing them.

People never care to summon me too when they're about to hang out or attend a party. Shit sucks. Do you suggest that it be with the hobos that I chill and learn to get better socially?
>>
>>29364030
Just lol. I have four sisters you baby-dicked cuck.
>>
>>29364072
they're*

English's a third language for me. No bully.
>>
What are college parties like? High school parties were some of the dumbest shit I've ever experienced. Just kids imitating shit they see in the movies/rap videos and getting high of xanax and cheap liquor/wine they stole from their dad. Girls were prudes with bfs or just danced around and acted stupid for attention.

Also how do I get away with doing certain things in a dorm with a roommate like jacking off or watching anime or torrenting? Should I bring my TV and Xbox?
>>
>>29364086
I'm sorry that either your sisters are as dumb and vapid as you clearly are, or that you are so far gone that you project that onto them.
>>
>>29364072
Just fucking stop whining and talk to people in their dorm like I suggested, you child. You're 18 years old. You have every opportunity to correct your behavior and your shitty personality. Get over yourself.
>>
>>29364142
Lol you're a girl, aren't you.
>>
>>29364124
In general, high school parties are about getting drunk and trying to fuck everything. Same thing for college parties for the first couple years I guess.

Later parties mostly end up being smaller groups of people getting together and hanging out, some music playing, chatting with each other, maybe some drinking games or something involved, but nothing really centers around getting wasted and fucking everything.

At least that was my experience.
>>
>>29364124
Different parties are different. It depends on what kind of parties you go to. I've been to chill get togethers where we played Smash 64 and Mario Kart or watched Star Trek: TNG; I've been to slightly larger dorm room parties with alcohol but still pretty low-key; I've been to a packed house party with live music.

Find things to do that don't isolate you and do those things instead of watching anime (unless you find people who like to watch anime with you). Having a TV and gaming console is good if you have multiplayer games; it's an easy pretext for people to come in to your room and meet you and do something with you.

>>29364183
Nah, just a dude who had female friends in undergrad.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 604x438
>>29364157
Thanks.

This is an original comment, because it is original.
>>
>>29364205
>trying to fuck everything.
Wait is this exclusive to american schools? True, I may not have attended many parties, but the most crazed I ever witnessed was maybe some guy getting his dick sucked during a party, and then two girls making out.

Nothing as far-reaching as "omg a girl got so drunk that she's now sucking everyone off in the main room", etc... Americans are weird man.
>>
>>29364233
Nah what you described is pretty much the same here. Girls will make out with each other and some chad might pull a girl and take her to the bedroom but for the most part people just are there to get drunk/high and talk to people.
>>
>>29364258
Wew that's reassuring. I would've hated myself otherwise for not having known an American teenage-hood if the sex was as rampant as I'd thought it was, but apparently its pretty down-toned like it is here.

And yeah pretty much what happened in one of the rare parties I was summoned to: chad takes the slut up to her room and by the time they spent here it's pretty obvious that she blew him, and happens another time again with some chad and another slut.

Guess that's how sex is distributed these days.

And the two girls I saw were just drunk and typical attention-whores.
>>
>>29362945
Well I went to college and I didn't lose my virginity. I'm not sure if some of the guys in my class were virgins but I can confirm they never got any from the college girls. They were pretty much rejected by all of the girls in college, even the fucking Chads got rejected. I know people who got some outside of college though, the ones that went to clubs, the one Chad that got a long-term gf and so on.

I stayed at home like >>29363213 so I never really experienced dorm life either, my college building was about a 1 hour drive from home so why bother wasting money on a dorm room and food?

There were no cliques like high school but damn did some people secretly shittalk each other and so on. I never got involved in any of their drama even though I was a social kind of guy and got to know everyone.

I have to say overall my life didn't change at all. I entered and left college the exact same, I still play all of the vidya I used to (as well as new vidya of course), I still have all of the same friends as before college though I occasionally meet up with the guys from college class.

>>29363894
College being oversexed is a meme and not a good one. I'm a normie (aside from being a virgin) with the confidence of Chad and I never got laid. Granted, I never tried to, but the people who did didn't get laid (in college anyway) either.

>>29364124
>Girls were prudes with bfs or just danced around and acted stupid for attention.
This is pretty accurate for college parties too, at least over here in the Mid-west where I went. You not only have to be Chad, but you also have to be rich and not just normal or dad body, but you need to be the muscled oiled up dude you see on deodorant commercials. If you aren't, you are fucked and not in the way you're thinking.
>>
File: xQqDHEe.jpg (22 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
xQqDHEe.jpg
22 KB, 500x285
>trap waifu
>>
>>29363500
>>29363694
>>29363715
>>29363839
Devilish orbiter who uses the orbiting as means of manipulating to get what I want here. AMA.
>>
stay away from girls with blue hair
>>
>>29365791
>asukafags
>>
Better. Make one trip to see the campus gaming or anime club. Your life will be forever improved, because while you may be autistic, you now know that you're not the most autistic.

>just want to play some video games or watch anime
>every squealing like pigs and obsessing over Nintendo """""games"""""
>everyone only watches AoT, SAO, or some other shonen meme anime
>>
>>29366258
>he thinks he's better than everyone because he categorically denounces Nintendo games
>>
>>29366301
I forgot to denounce fighting games too.

Who the fuck wants to play video games with other people if the only options are all the Smash Bros games and Street Fighter? Especially with the "LE HYPE" tourney culture that those people clearly partake in. I was done the second someone said Kappa in real life and it definitely had to do with the Twitch emote instead of frats, sororities, the Greek letter, the Japanese monster, and so on.
>>
>>29365791
For that matter, just stay away from girls with any clearly fake hair color like blue, purple, green, pink, or pure white.
>>
>>29363213

I lived on campus and it made me miserable. If you're very shy then your room can start to feel like a prison because you're surrounded by normalfags everywhere except for in your room
>>
>>29366387
Most of my roommates were sympathetic Chads. We were night and day compared to each other but we still kept on friendly terms.
>>
>>29366345
You sound just as bad as any of them with your massive superiority complex.
>>
>>29366420
Not really, because at least I think I'm superior for playing good games, instead of thinking I'm superior for playing the Nintendo games I've outgrown.
>>
>>29366450
>I don't have a superiority complex, I'm just genuinely superior.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.