[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
USA Sat test?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 휘두르다.jpg (123 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
휘두르다.jpg
123 KB, 500x369
hey guys i'm korean and saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTKhDGV7L0 and i was like "is it really that easy for us test?" so is it THAT easy? i mean last year my friend committed suicide because he scored 90 in the test (i scored like 60 kek) i'm a neet so i'm really shitty at math (education in general) but is it really that easy in the US? fuck a lot of people died here because how stressful school is.
>>
Didn't even watch the vid, but your absolute score means jack. College admissions departments judge you by your percentile scores relative to the student body (And also your race, but that's a touchy subject you should ever raise unless you have the proper left-wing opinions). If you're a meh student in Korea, you will be marginally better, but not stellar, here.
>>
>>29322911
SAT prep teacher here. It's basic to intermediate algebra and geometry for math. For Americans this dabbles with some probability and stats as well as trigonometry (very very basic levels). There are a few tricky questions, but it's generally very easy. english is a little more difficult imo and unless you practice that section, you're going to screw up a bit.

I had a few korean american friends in high school and they came to america with all of our math requirements essentially completed.

I can tell you more about the SAT if you have questions. in exchange, please tell me about your grade school English programs and the interests of Korean youth.
>>
File: 31241231235.gif (499 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
31241231235.gif
499 KB, 500x246
>>29323057
>score means jack
k thanks

>>29323076
hmm i think i have a very bad English score too (i only learned english from gaming and movies) ah so it's basic to intermediate algebra and geomtry for math?

>english is a little more difficult imo and unless you practice that section, you're going to screw up a bit.

i think i scored better in english than my math though (i think i got like 78)

>grade school English programs

i think we learned English starting elementary school, i don't really understand any of them, mainly because i don't really care, Talking is easier rather than writing, i can speak fluent english but i don't know how to write the grammar.

>interests of korea youth
you mean those people who overworked themselves to death? or those who overlearned themselves to death? i'm a neet for 5 years so i'm kinda detached from outside world, but last time i checked they're still competing about getting jobs (the better the job the better the life you get in seoul) but then again they don't have free time if they got a job so i think it kinda wastes your time (our lives is short that's why i rather be a neet)
>>
My experience going to one of the most heavily funded high schools in the nation outside chicago, basically the suburbs filled with jews(literally) is that its not even that much of a test.
Nobody I met really cares, even the people who study. They cared more about the ACT at the time, this was '05ish. Someone killing themselves over a score like that would be ridiculous, I can't even take that seriously.
Here in the U.S at least you actually can make more money these days getting a six month certification or becoming a truck driver than most jobs out there. Since our biggest employer is walmart and the average american earns under 30k, I have zero idea why koreans would be killing themselves just to get better scores. I suppose its how your economy and culture works, but here there's no such thing like that.
>>
>>29322911
It's easy as fuck
>>
>>29322911
>sw yoon actually youtubing on a serious level now
YES
THANK YOU OP I DIDN'T KNOW HE GRADUATED
>>
>>29323354
what is corea like
do they whip you if you don't feel like dying from overwork all day? Sounds like a hellhole
>>
>>29323357
>would be killing themselves just to get better scores

it's the pressure, my parents (before they divorced) used to push me to study every time, like if i don't study my life would be fail, but i threw that away because how bullshit the system was, i mean think of it like this, there's 3 whales in a tiny pool, and then the 2 whales were not as strong as the first whale thus they are deem "shit whales" BUT that "shit" whales is actually still. A whale. if you put them in the sea, they pretty much BIGGER than your average fish and they can be number #1 BUT if they stay in the tiny pool, no matter what species they are, they are considered shit JUST because the other 1 whale is better than the two, even though it's not making that much of a different. like 1 whale has 100% capacity while second whale has 99% capacity, the first whale is considered "best" while the second whale is considered "shit" just because there's a better whale, even though the "shit" whale has a score of a fucking NINETY.
>>
>>29322911
The math section is easiest followed by writing
Reading is far away in difficulty
You have to memorize tons of useless vocab and even then it's pretty much impossible to improve on the reading comprehension section because you can't really teach yourself that kind of comprehension without tons of effort
>>
>>29323354
thank you korea anon. I'm trying to learn more about korean students (young, grade school) for a teaching program that I want to participate in as a conversational english teacher. I know I can start with spongebob or pop music as a starting point with american students if i want to be fun, but i know little about young korean students. I would figure it's about the same. Probably like us, they're eager to grow up and either follow their parents, help people, or become some kind of star. input would be greatly appreciated.

>i think i scored better in english than my math though (i think i got like 78)
>i think we learned English starting elementary school . . . i can speak fluent english but i don't know how to write the grammar.
for being shitty at grammar, you do very well

Just to give you a better idea of >>29323354 's post, the numbers really don't mean much because they are adjusted for each specific test. There are also issues with affirmative action and equality that basically change acceptance scores by race. It's literally institutional racism. Colleges tend to see the SAT scores more like a loose general minimum requirement for acceptance. A university whose average cumulative score is 1600 is likely to accept a student with a good record and a score of 1400. The most important part of the application is making sure to present yourself as a tryhard/overachiever, essentially.

>>29323357
is correct. Places outside of cities and poor areas are more likely to have access to stronger schools and have a better time with the test. The ACT's relevance depends on the region. Schools east of the Mississippi river tend to like SAT, schools west of the Mississippi tend to like ACT. I applied for college in 2006ish and they used to require one or the other, some taking both. Currently, most schools will take either. I can affirm the rest of his statements. Good paying jobs are definitely around if you're willing to take them.
>>
>>29323644
Yikes, sounds like a culture doomed to implode. Hope you're doing alright. That kind of pressure sounds awful.
>>
>>29322911
yes all of the math questions are completely easy and doable the only thing is that you have a very limited amount of time to complete so many questions
>>
>>29323644
Yeah but like
You can just retake it

How different is the ACT and SAT? I always imagined ACT was easier because I got a 30 without studying or retaking it
>>
File: 1465882115525.jpg (226 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1465882115525.jpg
226 KB, 1080x1920
>>29322911
>get 24 on ACT
>still get free college

just luck out on scholarships like I did
>>
>>29323770
nah the SAT and ACT are two tests designed to be completely valid and consistent in measuring intelligence so the only way you could change your score is by dedicating massive amounts of time to practice.

according to psychology, a test can only have validity if a person's retest score is either the same or close to the original score
>>
>>29323644
I'm not sure how good 90 is of a score in korea, but yea, the SAT math is a joke in the US. In my school in NYC, pretty much anything other than an 800 would get you laughed at. It's also made up from the fact that getting one question wrong brings you down to a 760/800 or so. Even going to an almost 65% asian school where everyone applied to an Ivy, I think what really alleviates the pressure is knowing that you can always go to a state school, since a few of them in NY are not that bad either, and offer good enough financial aid, so people would "like" to get into an Ivy, but it's not the end of the world if they don't get in.
>>
>>29323719
cont.

>>29323644
This is like the GRE. I got maybe 3 or 4 wrong with a score of 176/180 and I was in the 89th percentile. Complete goybage. Colleges tend to realize these things in murrica.

>>29323680
it's the way the responses are written in the critical reading section. it's very autistic. There are patterns in the methods for standardizing the exam that you can use to find answers. But it's definitely not something easily learned on your own. Typically two of the choices are debatably right if you aren't looking for the autismal pattern
>>
>>29323357
Its all dishonor and letting down their family. Pride, family and honor are much more important and mean different things in east asia than it is to Western culture.

For Americans, you get a bad grade and your parents might be disappointed, but they usually aren't going to disown you and label you an eternal failure. They'll say work harder and do better next time. If you keep sucking at school then oh well, school just isnt your thing, theres plenty of jobs that don't need a degree!

In Japan and Korea, school is a much more serious thing. If you suck at school, get one bad test score, it basically means you will amount to nothing and never earn lots of money, have a high status and bring pride and honor to the family. Your parents will disown you and wish you were never born. At this point death is a better fate to some than having a disappointed parent. Its not just in education, its warfare, the business world etc etc... theres no "try, try again", its "you bring dishonor! Die to redeem yourself!".

Its not an easy concept for us to digest in the west, where we hate our parents as kids and then get kicked out at 18 to do whatever the fuck ever.
>>
>>29323726
Why do you think Japan is dying? Their culture is fucking awful, its all work work work your entire life then die l
Nothing is more important than having a high status at work. They don't even have time to fuck, too busy working 80 hour weeks.
>>
>>29324075
>disown

it's not that bad anon. They just hate you (that doesn't mean they will throw you out of the house)

>>29323719
>Good paying jobs are definitely around if you're willing to take them.

Nice, but i'm happy the way i am now, i still get money from my father's restaurant and spend the rest of my day on the internet, i don't know where my mom is though, probably dead. Thank you for your answer very helpful
>>
>>29324075
>>29324136
Well, hey, they make nice escapist cartoons so everything is fine right?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.