[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to treat and remove AvPD without therapy and medication?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1465802047086.jpg (43 KB, 373x337) Image search: [Google]
1465802047086.jpg
43 KB, 373x337
Is there a way to treat and remove AvPD without therapy and medication?

I want to get rid of this shit and move on with my life, but I don't want my diagnosis to be documented for employers to see.
>>
>>29269697
Alien Versus Predator Disease?
Shit man. Do you have acid blood or fluorescent? Do you crawl around or do you go days in the wild just living off the land and hunting?
>>
>>29269697
bumparu
help
>>
>>29269697
>>29270549
I've lost count how many hours I've spent looking into this, and I've come to the following conclusions:
Firstly, I know you didn't ask about this, but there is medication that has documented positive effect that helps you reduce your anxiety in social interactions, but the good stuff is off limits unless you get an official diagnosis. I assume the reason you didn't ask for medical treatment recommendations is because you don't have access to it, but then I would check out the dark net if I were you. I still haven't taken a thorough look myself. Dunno if they sell good stuff there, but they might. If not, then I think the second best medical treatment alternative would be the legal alternatives. I'm in the same boat as you and I recently started taking double and occasionally triple doses of pills from St John's wort extract whenever I leave the house and expect social interactions. At smaller doses it did nothing for me, but once I started upping it I noted a huge difference, so I recommend looking into that. This stuff should be available for online orders without any hassle, but I've only been on it for about a week, so I shouldn't make it sound like I have a long history with this.

The other alternative would be to thoroughly learn cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and start practicing it on yourself. It sounds a bit silly, and I doubt it would be anywhere near as effective as going to a real psychologist that would force you to actively reach progressively more difficult goals, but it might do something for you. But, I'll warn you, self treatment for anxiety disorders tend to be largely unsuccessful and the statistics I've seen implies it's not more effective than your average placebo treatment. It should not be substituted for visiting a real psychologist if you really are serious about getting better, despite the anxiety holding you back.
>>
>>29270893
Forgot to point out a couple of things.
>The 'good stuff' might be available on the dark net
If you are going to get drugs from there, make sure that they are not addictive substances. If you believe yourself to have AvPD then you will most likely have a huge quality of life improvement when you start taking the drugs, but they will quickly have less and less of an effect, and few people in that situation stop taking them then. Most just up the dosage instead at that point, and keep repeating the process when they notice the same thing happening all over. In time, it will render you completely unable to function without the meds, and no better than you started off when you actually take a ton of them. The thing is, because you suspect yourself to be Avoidant, I imagine you won't have anyone to stop you, so it would likely grow out of proportion fast. Normal substance abuse is very common among people with AvPD. Just imagine what some addictive miracle meds would do to you. Bottom line; Do your homework before choosing on your meds, and if you have a choice, go for the less effective non addictive drugs.

>Some guy on a Taiwanese image board for knitting is giving medical advice
That's the thing. If you disregard some course in neurobiology I took last semester at university, I have no more medical training than the next guy. I've just done my own research and this is what I've come up with. I advice you to do your own.

>Self treatment is unsuccessful
When I said this, I meant on average. Every once in a while there is a person pulling through with only self help treatment, but the success stories are very few compared to the people who try and fail to reach any notable improvements. Very few. Still, wouldn't hurt, but you sounded too serious about wanting change for me to actually recommend this route of action.
>>
My last recommendation would be for you to actually schedule an appointment with a psychologist or psychiatrist. Make the arrangements online if you want. Just make sure to sign up on some wait list. Then you just gotta wait for them to get in touch when there's an opening. If you can't force yourself to go once they call or email you, then you need to tell them that once they contact you. That way it will be tougher for you to chicken out at that point, which will increase the chances of actually going and getting real help. It's what I did. Still waiting for my first appointment to get my psychoanalysis though.

I'll try to be around for a while longer to see if you have any more questions.
>>
>>29269697
Parents are riding my ass to get a job and i feel like a cunt not not doing it, im just going to off myself if i cant get better within a year
>>
just do it
stop avoiding people, just go up to someone and talk to them for fucks sake whats wrong with you
>>
File: 1462486779609.png (13 KB, 233x221) Image search: [Google]
1462486779609.png
13 KB, 233x221
>>29271351
Just kill a bunch of people man no one is stopping you
>>
>>29270893
>>29271192
>>29271272
Thanks man, I appreciate it. The reason I'm asking this is because I need to pass a psych eval soon for a government job I spent my life trying to get.

I honestly don't think I have it that bad compared to most people that have it. The anxiety doesn't go away completely after a conversation or social contact starts, but it certainly diminishes. The real anxiety starts after everything is done, I've been having problems with regret when I try to sleep.

>>29271351
A+ for effort, Chad
>>
Sadly, very few ever completely recover from AvPD. This of course doesn't mean nobody ever does. Most get better after treatment, and a lucky few become almost normal, so there's always hope.

I would share a link to the report if I were on my ordinary computer, but just look up "Treating Avoidant Personality Disorder: the Case of Paul" if you want a rather detailed example of a man making significant improvement. I think he had well educated and professional people to help him though.

>>29271351
It seems so simple, but when you've had it ingrained into your mind both before, during and after almost every social interaction of your life since childhood that you are a good for nothing awkward idiot who should just keep their mouth shut because you can't do or say a single thing right, you become hesitant to actually approach people. The only way you know how to not embarrass yourself is to hide from society in your little shell, then gee, that person should just walk up to a stranger on the street, talk with them and they will realize that it was all in their head!
No. It doesn't work like that. People with AvPD have deeply rooted mental issues, mainly caused by tragically low self esteem in social situations. It won't go away by them talking to some random people. It changes nothing. They still have that monster in their brain that's never satisfied with their performance that will just beat them up over what they did and said afterwards like usual.
>>
>>29271455
No problem man. Happy to help.

By the way, I didn't know employers had access to stuff like treatment for mental illness. Good to know I suppose.
>>
>>29271462
>replying to that post with more than ten words
>replying to that post at all
I shiggy diggy.
>>
>>29271602
I'd rather take the 'risk' of replying to someone who was just pretending to be retarded than to have someone who's actually this dumb waltz into the thread and then leave just as uneducated. Especially when I for once have pretty solid knowledge on the topic. Shiggy all you want, I regret nothing.
>>
>>29271192
what drugs could you take to help with AvPD?
>>
>>29269697
No. Neither is there a way to remove it with therapy or medication. This is just your personality. It's just you. At best therapy can help you develop coping skills to deal with it better, though that can be well worth the investment. Also, no employer is going to see your confidential medical records.
>>
>>29271752
Why are you assuming that personality cannot change?
>>
Therapy helped only a little for me, I'm still a anxious NEET that barely leaves his house
>>
>>29272630
What kind of therapy? How long did it last?
>>
File: sad-00000.jpg (18 KB, 300x397) Image search: [Google]
sad-00000.jpg
18 KB, 300x397
>>29271462
It physically hurt to read the second part of your post.
>>
I was in CBT for depression and social anxiety (and suspected AvPD) on and off for 8 years or so.

Self-medication with alcohol helped tremendously, though the therapy did wonders as well. Also being forced into a job where I had to interact with literally hundreds to thousands of people every day made me much more numb to the anxiety. After a complete breakdown first of course.
>>
>>29269697
First step to the BUX anon. A lot of anons would kill for a BUX-worthy diagnosis.
>>
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
>>29269697
>asking for help w/ a meme disease

mfw
>>
Good luck anon. It's notoriously difficult to treat and is typically a life long problem. You could try drinking constantly. That's what I do.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.