[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you figure out what to do with your life? >going to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: gunhelmet.png (15 KB, 757x666) Image search: [Google]
gunhelmet.png
15 KB, 757x666
How do you figure out what to do with your life?

>going to uni
>pick major as computer science cause you can't really go wrong with that
>I don't really give a shit about computers except for gaming
>I'm bad at math anyways

I need to pick something else. Where the fuck do I start though?
>>
>going to uni without a passion

ahahahahahahahaha

Unless you're genuinely interested and invested in hat you're doing, uni is fucking pointless.

If you really don't give a shit and just want to subsist, go to college and learn a trade skill. It might not be glamorous but it will literally always be in demand.

I know so, so many people who were very promising kids who are now 2+ years out of uni with no job, whereas all of the retards who went and did a college course are now getting a mortgage on their first house.

I guarantee that you'll never see a poor plumber/electrician/carpenter
>>
>>29241232
>I guarantee that you'll never see a poor plumber/electrician/carpenter

Speaking as a broke NEET with a masters in biochemistry, this hits hard
>>
File: 1465109137366.jpg (113 KB, 428x456) Image search: [Google]
1465109137366.jpg
113 KB, 428x456
>>29241232
>dad was a carpenter
>i grew up so fucking poor we reused ziploc bags
>people always looked at me like i was crazy when i said pop-tarts were for rich people
>>
>>29241232
Don't listen to this retard. A lot of people don't figure out what they're doing until their second or even third year. Get your general requirements done and try different things out.
>>
>>29241286
There's a difference between subsisting as a tradesman and supporting a family
>>
File: malcolm sink.gif (993 KB, 290x198) Image search: [Google]
malcolm sink.gif
993 KB, 290x198
You don't need to have passion to do a uni course and get a related job to that course. A job is a job, they all fucking suck. What's the difference between going to uni for comp sci and working as a software engineer for 8 hours a day 7 days a week, or learning a trade skill that you dislike just as much and working 8 hours a day 7 days a week. There is no difference.

Just try and find a job that won't make you feel suicidal, preferably one with less hours, and pray for the robot revolution to take up all jobs and a living wage to be brought in. If that never happens enjoy being a wagecuck for the next 50 years of your life.
>>
>>29241322
No, its not like he was keeping the money for himself, we were all genuinely poor, he wouldnt do that, he isnt a scumbag. I wish i could've grown up to be half the man he was.
>>
I just thought about what I could be if I tried hard enough.
I realized none of it seemed enjoyable so now I'm just waiting for death
>>
>>29241115
I studied and took courses in just about everything until I went GOD DAMN IT THIS SUCKS I HATE IT ALL AND I'M NOT EVEN GOOD AT IT WHO GIVES A SHIT NOT ME and then moved to another possible career and repeated that process until I had it narrowed down.
>>
The way I see it, unless you're well-connected or just one of those "passionate" type-A weirdos, the typical route of "pay money to learn x, be told your 4 years of what used to be called training and was free, isn't enough, so now you need to pay your dues doubly by working for free for several months, then start at a wage that barely covers your debts, let alone a mortgage or a new car" is a raw deal. Why not look for a more unconventional job while studying a skill in your own time? I'd rather be a cab driver learning IT to start my own contract work or go with a smaller company that actually pays its people, than an indebted intern in some corporate slavery meat grinder.
>>
>>29241612
What did you end up with?
>>
>>29241115
>Studying CS because he likes vidya
Isn't this the story of everyone on 4chan?
The story usually ends like this:
>Dropped out and became a NEET once he realized that CS is all maths and nothing to do with vidya
>>
>>29241825
The good thing is I've only taken one math course, and have only been doing my general courses, so I didn't lose shit.
>>
File: 1464908965402.jpg (235 KB, 1495x1600) Image search: [Google]
1464908965402.jpg
235 KB, 1495x1600
>>29241115
>aspire to be a Chemical Engineer because I was really good with Chemistry and pretty decent at maths
>miss out by 3 points into entry to Engineering so I go into chemistry
>friend tells me about computer science and programming in general
>Decide to take intro course for CS
>Ended up loving it and acing it
>Just got first job recently as a Software Dev
>Shit's comfy as fuck
>Can go to work anytime, can take as many breaks, can work from home
>AS long as I work 7.5 hours a day
Idk though, it is a good hobby of mine, so that might be why I find it really comfy
>>
>>29241115

>STEM

>Bad at math

Do people actually fall for this meme? The minute I realized I wanted to STEM, I started studying math nonstop so I wouldn't be one of those cucks who likes le science and drops out because math is hard.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.