[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looks like I became a wagecuck after all, who would have guessed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_nzb3nnROKH1v0pigno1_1280.jpg (187 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzb3nnROKH1v0pigno1_1280.jpg
187 KB, 1280x800
Looks like I became a wagecuck after all, who would have guessed.
>software dev in a company affiliated with Siemens
>small team of 10 people
>coworkers are nice
>pay is breddy good for a first job
>hard as fuck
>have to make quality and bug free code
>very stressful at times
>only one without gf there, can feel bantz already incoming
>overall nice, but unsure if I'm fit for such a position

Tell me about your job anons. Bonus points if your job is shittier than mine, a little perspective might make me feel better about all this.
>>
>>29229215
>admin
>large organization
>coworkers are mostly great
>AU$52k + full benefits
>Either nothing to do or 6 things at once
>Lots of responsibilities, though most of it is fine
I'm a little annoyed some of my coworkers who are employed to do the exact same things I do don't have to do half the work since their boss's do it for them.
>>
>LITERALLY cotton picker tier job
>Remove weeds from plazas and other public places
>>
>>29229308

isn't min wage like $20/hour there? Why even settle for a $50k job when you could literally ring people up at mcdonalds for comparable money. god fucking australians are so fucking dumb i hate every one of you
>>
>>29229352
ah yes because running around in some shitty burger joint all day long is so much better than a comfy-ass admin job

how fucking retarded are you?

t. not the guy you're replying to and not australian
>>
>>29229215
>did what parents wanted and got a full time job
>actually pretty decent job, decent career prospects, can afford a car , have my own desk, paid lunches, nice people, decentish career prospects

The thought of working a 40 hour week legitimately makes me consider suicide all day.

Why the fuck is this such a horrible thing to me? Everyone else seems to be able to do it and I know it's part of life but it's just so long, you basically lose 5 days , by the time I get home, eat, get chores done its time to go to bed. It fucking blows

>desperate enough to try twitch streaming in the vain fantasy that it takes off and becones a job

SEND HELP

I had a comfy retail 20-30 hour job that let me enjoy life but still paid them rent but that was never good enough and I was constantly belittled by them over it and pushed to leave. I liked it there
>>
>>29229521

yeah dude

>would you like fries with that?

is so much more stressful than doing tough and stressful job. KYS
>>
>>29229536
This. 8 days wasted at work, 2 hours driving, 6 sleeping. All that's left are 8 hours to be anxious about the next day.
What cruel joke of life.
>>
>>29229536
>Everyone else seems to be able to do it and I know it's part of life but it's just so long, you basically lose 5 days , by the time I get home, eat, get chores done its time to go to bed. It fucking blows
People drown themselves in consumerism and relationships.
>>
>>29229550
admin guy here.
Because I don't want to be a 27 year old burger flipper nor do I want to be a manager of a MacDonalds?
>>
>>29229215
>>software dev
>>hard as fuck
>>very stressful at times

What the fuck? What exactly do you do?
Write low-level shit like operating system drivers or embedded technology? Game development?

I've been in the industry for a while now and it's an absolute breeze
pays really well for how easy it is
>>
File: 1463959631232.jpg (70 KB, 544x548) Image search: [Google]
1463959631232.jpg
70 KB, 544x548
>29
>History Ph.D
>Work in a warehouse

money well spent, university is a fucking meme
>inb4 "humanities"

end my life senpai
>>
>>29229352
I've done burger flipping its stressful as fuck and you get treated like crap. Oh and you won't get full time 20 per hour in fast food. They will employ younger people and pay them less (You don't earn 100% of the minimum wage till 21)

Meanwhile I do IT/admin and do comfy work and get appreciated for it as well. I'm also learning shit so I can start my own business or get a higher paying position is another year or two and won't be stuck flipping burgers.
>>
>>29229701
>>History Ph.D
what the hell did you even study all these years?

there honestly isn't that much to history..
>>
>Fire/Duress alarm tech for 4 hotels
>Easy as fuck
>No set schedule or boss to report to
>Go wherever I want and work on whatever I feel like

Most of the year I fuck off and do nothing until we hit the rainy season. Then it's overtime pay.
>>
>>29229743
>work on whatever I feel like
for example?
>>
File: 1464739170853.jpg (5 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
1464739170853.jpg
5 KB, 201x251
>>29229711
Done my BA in Ancient History and Medieval Studies
Did my Masters in Medieval Period Europe
Pretty much carried that over for PhD

not fucking worth it
>>
>>29229783
so why aren't you a lecturer at a university? or at least a high school?
>>
>>29229783
Aren't you supposed to write books and shieet with this type of education? Or maybe teaching?
>>
>>29229799
>>29229798
yeah, teaching is the main call but it never appealed to me, I wanted to be an archivist but cant for the fucking life of me find anywhere, plus young professors get hardly any respeck

in hindsight i should have just stopped after my masters, i did my PhD basically because "oh i can do it because i know shit", just to try and prove something
>>
>pest control for my dads business
>only work 3-4 hours a day and bring in 40k a year

pretty good but how do I make more money without getting another job? I wanna have kids one day.
>>
>>29229668
There's basically a few large software suits. Over a gigabyte of source each. For use in power grid management. It's pretty complex and they told me around release nearly everyone takes overtime. It probably isn't much harder than other software dev jobs, but it's completely different than being a PHP codemonkey like I was in an internship.
>>
>>29229859
3-4 hours a day? thats part time mang
just ask for more hours?
>>
>Canadian Navy
>Getting paid 50k to travel, drink ,do hard drugs and occasionally fix machinery.
>Will make 85k in another 3 years.
Sailing for months at a time can get somewhat hellish, but I have it good.
>>
>work at a warehouse
>have to lift heavy shit all day
>everyone at work is horrible pieces of shit
>no women at all (although this may be a plus?)
>all of them have wives, multiple gfs, or even cheating on their wives (and brag about it as well)
>always get made fun of for being a virgin
>they can't fathom how someone can be over 20 and not have had sex yet
>3 people at work have multiple mothers of their kids
>legs hurt everyday
>back is all kinds of fucked up from lifting

If the pay wasn't as decent as it is, I would have quit a long time ago. Hopefully I get this job I got a recommendation for soon. Then my life can get started again.
Some of my co-workers have offered to take me to a bar/club to help me with women. But I don't want a one night stand. I want a relationship, which they don't understand why I'd want that.
>>
>>29229859
>only work 3-4 hours a day and bring in 40k a year
Living the dream.
invest/do something productive with the time and money
>>
>>29229536
First of all, your parents should not be dictating your life. If you're making decent money then MOVE THE FUCK OUT and do whatever you want; go back to a part-time job and enjoy yourself.

Secondly, let me tell you a little about my experience. I went to college, then grad school. I got a PhD partially because I also hated the idea of a full-time job and I found that I had a lot of free time when I was in school taking classes and/or teaching and/or working on my dissertation (this is NOT most people's experience; I happen to be a fast learner). I had a couple of full-time software development internships during the summers and I hated them.

Then I graduated with my PhD and I couldn't find a job in academia that I wanted. So I got a job developing software full-time. The first few months were rough, but as I got used to it, I got over it. The 40-hour week no longer bothers me. The key is to do it for a while so that you get used to it, and to have a job that you legitimately find enjoyable and enriching. It is NOT defeat or surrender if the job is good.
>>
>>29229890
cant, thats all the work thats available.
>>
>>29229668
Not him, but I've been at it for a year and I've chatted with people who have been at it for longer. It can legitimately be stressful. I work on a large piece of cloud-computing software, both the front and back end. We have monthly deadlines and it can be legitimately tough getting things out in time. There are always bugs and dealing with the bugs and the deadlines can be stressful. Right now I am just starting on a large project that is kind of a 'capstone' for a promotion I'm planned to receive at the end of the year, and I'm worried about fucking up the project and not getting the promotion. I'm not saying that the job is always super stressful, but it certainly has its moments.
>>
>>29229701
Why didn't you get a job in academia? Surely you could find some post-doc position that you could use to get some associate professorship and move up the ladder.
>>
File: Colonoscopy.jpg (23 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
Colonoscopy.jpg
23 KB, 660x371
>>29230482
it was brought up, but i had too high hopes for what i could do, i didnt know that history qualification were quite so worthless, all i want to do is sit in a nice quiet archive and conduct some research and look at cool shit, and despite this all i have only been to a few archives, the one in my city when i was doing work experience when I was 16/17 and a few briefly during my PhD years

im happy i did it and i still love history as much as i did when i was a young teen, but getting a job thats not a teacher fucking sucks

it also doesnt help that in BA most people you meet in history courses are doing politics and are the most annoying fuckers i have ever met, another reason why being a history professor would suck

but i guess youre right, its no good having qualifications and lifting fucking boxes all day
>>
>>29230656
become one of those cool teachers who include memes in their slides or something like that
>>
op, do you work for smx?
>>
>>29230656

what country are you in faggot? what tier university did you go to?

top tier amerifat humanities phd here, never expected for it to be useful.
>>
>>29230757
England, went to University of York

bretty good uni for history
>>
>>29230728
Nope. I'd rather not name the exact company. I'm not interested in a game of spot-the-sperg on their website.
>>
Im an introvert that works at a call center talking to people all day
You would not believe the energy drain
>>
I "work" for a huge company doing project control but have no work or responsibilities at all and everyone knows it. It's worse than being over worked. Even the graduates and apprentices note on it and make sly comments.
>>
>>29229343
eastern euro community service?
>>
>>29231281
Talk to your manager about it. Ask for some work.
>>
>>29229352
>tfw live in Poland
>minimal wage translates to 4k usd annually
I wish I lived in America.
>>
File: smugwojak4v2.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
smugwojak4v2.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>29229215
This was an utter and complete surprise.
>>
>>29232037
Wait, is OP the wagecuck poster?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.