[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the difference between Tumblr/meme depression and something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 0468 - luXBX82.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
0468 - luXBX82.png
65 KB, 285x276
Whats the difference between Tumblr/meme depression and something like a major depressive disorder or persistent depressive disorder?
>>
>>29221737
tumblr/meme depression is usually just self diagnosing without much thought and research. it's usually women that say they have it just for attention.
my advice would be to start researching major depressive disorder or persistent depressive disorder, and if you find the symptoms listed to correspond with what you're experiencing and if it is making a negative impact on your life I would suggest seeing a psychologist or therapist for a while until they advise you to see a psychiatrist (psychiatrists are the ones that prescribe you medication)
If you cannot afford a therapist or psychologist I would advice trying to look up coping mechanisms or how to help yourself without the use of a therapist and doctor.
I'm very sorry about your situation anon, at least, I guess I'm just assuming you're asking this question since youre curious on whether or not your depression is legit. Sorry if my response isn't too great, I really hope that you can figure out what to do and get better.
>>
>>29222000
Thank you for the response!

I'm actually diagnosed with P.D.D and started some medication recently.

I've just heard of tumblr depression and was just curious what people thought about it. I figured it was some sort of attention whore thing.
>>
>>29222074
That's very good! I'm glad to hear that, also yeah, it's basically just an attention whore thing, but what do you expect from 14 year olds on that site right?
>>
File: 1452727572463.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1452727572463.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
>>29222000
Would you say getting kicked out of college and work because I can't get out of bed is a negative impact on my life?
I mean, it's not like my life was heading anywhere anyways.
>>
meme depression is the kind you use as an excuse not to do things, or to get attention. you can still feel like shit but that's because you are shit.

more severe depression doesn't interfere with your life in any way, it just makes you feel trapped and apathetic or negative about everything. people will do anything to avoid thinking about it, so you'll almost never hear them mention it.
>>
>>29222196
definitely, it doesn't matter that your life wasn't going anywhere, because of the fact you cant get out of bed, it's still hurting your life.
Have you thought about what to do about it anon?
>>
>>29222304
>Have you thought about what to do about it anon?
I have to answer this question to my teachers this monday. I have no idea what to answer or say.
>>
I think generally people with severe depression don't try to use it for attention, and when people do they get the tumblr depression label, though I feel that everyone has different means of coping and while I might personally find some distasteful it isn't really my place to judge whether or not their depression is legitimate.
>>
>>29222345
well, I don't know too much about to full situation to really give a great opinion if you do want my advice. The only option I can really see is telling them what's been going on, although, I don't know if they will take you seriously or not, and speaking about this subject, especially towards teachers is very very difficult. I'm sorry anon, I really wish you the best of luck monday. If you want you can talk about the situation more, or vent if you'd like, I'm not the best with advice but I'll be sure to listen and help however I can.
>>
>>29222405
anyone who claims to have depression legitimately has it. that's is literally the only measure we have for what depression is. its not like an actual disease that fucks with your body.
>>
>>29222469
>its not like an actual disease that fucks with your body
Umm, ever here of chemical imbalances. That's why people with meme depression don't respond to SSRI's because they don't really have a problem.
>>
>>29222435
There isn't really anything going on or anything to vent about. I just can't get out of bed, feel like shit, the usual etc.
Without the anonimity I have a very hard time talking about this and actually want nothing to do with depression or any other mental illnesses.
My teachers have asked why I didn't get help and I'm afraid that they will send me to a therapist or something which I'm not too fond of either.
I guess all I can do is wait.
>>
>>29222469
lolwut? Depression has measurable effects on both the brain and body.
>>
>>29222585
Not really..................... but it takes too long to explain so whatever.
>>
>>29222568
Well, I'm sure they can't force you to go see a therapist right? I guess waiting is all you really can do in this situation, good luck man.
>>
>>29222405
This

I have depression and I try to hide it from basically everyone. I don't glorify it and I hate myself.
>>
>>29222255
Are you serious? this has to be meme/bait.
>>
>>29222628
Only if you're a danger to yourself or other I think.
And thank you Anon.
>>
>>29222469

Regardless of the shaky science surrounding synaptic serotonin levels, people with depression have been examined postmortem and have been shown to have degeneration of neurons in the hippocampal region. And the longer they've had depressive symptoms the greater amount of degeneration.

A heritable genetic component involving a specific serotonin pump/transporter has also been discovered to play a role in it.
>>
>>29221737
Look at the DSM V manual, it has a list of criteria.
Final Year Medfag year, things include:
Sleep disturbance
Loss in interest of daily activities
Guilty/worthless feeling
Low energy
Cognitive impairment/Concentration loss
Appetite loss
Psychomotor deficits
Suicidal behaviour
>>
>>29222800
me again just fixing up, suicidal ideation* not necessarily behaviour
>>
>>29222613

>I don't have an argument

k
>>
>>29222856
The DSM (manual of psychological diseases) is decided by vote.
The criteria for what constitutes depression is decided by vote.
The test for depression includes a splattershot of symptoms like insomnia and lack of appetite.
The "antidepressant drugs" used to treat "depression" all affect different neurotransmitters or do something "atypical" so treatment consists of pill roulette and smacking your brain with various wrenches.
>>
>>29222469
this
>>29222537
>>29222585
>2016
>not realizing SSRI's are placebos
lmao
>>
With severe depression you don't whine on tumblr or talk to anyone really. In fact you stop going to class or work or doing any other obligation and you can't properly explain yourself to anyone to the point where you stop being able to talk entirely and just try to sleep as much as possible so that you don't have to be outside of bed. You know as a given that you've failed at your entire life and there's nothing you or anyone can do now to fix it. Your perspective is wholly different from one of a non-depressed mind, I don't think it's possible to imagine any more than imagining what it's like to be a tree, even after you've experienced it.

Also for me my nose would start to run while eating.

source: 3 ~6 month long episodes in my early 20s and still on Lithium after 6 years.

I thought hyperbole and a half did a pretty good job of illustrating it in an accessible way.
>>
>>29223063
>2016
>being an idiot

Praying for you.
>>
>>29223063
>>I was given SSRIs and they didn't work because I have tumblr-tier depression
>>
>>29222537
>chemical imbalances
yeah ive heard of it. but i'm not a fucking moron, so i won't entertain your idea of what that could possibly mean.

>SSRIs work
even if depression was focused on serotonin activity (which it objectively is not), SSRI's are incredibly inaccurate.

>>29222585
but we don't, and cannot measure them. faggot.
>i'm going to use this psychological term but completely ignore the psychology and clinical data/practices behind it because i'm the best
the only reason you'd ever take a physical test while being diagnosed for depression is if the doc thinks you have some other illness that may cause it.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.