[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why am I handsome looking in the mirror but ugly in photographs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1423114426956.jpg (10 KB, 177x192) Image search: [Google]
1423114426956.jpg
10 KB, 177x192
Why am I handsome looking in the mirror but ugly in photographs?
>>
maybe your face only looks good reversed

or when you look at yourself in a certain light you think you're better looking than you are
>>
>>24301659
so i'm actually bad looking most of the time?
>>
File: Portrait-Focal-Length-II.jpg (1 MB, 2324x1728) Image search: [Google]
Portrait-Focal-Length-II.jpg
1 MB, 2324x1728
>>24301636
When you look in a mirror, you are seeing a reverse (mirror) image of yourself and you grow up seeing this version of yourself more than any other image so when you look at pictures, a true image of yourself, it looks distorted to you because it's not what you are used to seeing.

When you smile in a mirror, you have feedback. You can see how you look and you smile naturally (with the whole face, not just the mouth). When you pose for a picture, you might be forcing whatever look you are going for. If you do a fake smile (just with the mouth or forced contortion of the face) it looks bizarre.

Another reason is the perspective. We tend to stand away from mirrors at a distance that is fairly flattering - pretty close, which tends to make your eyes, nose, and mouth look a little bigger on your face than the more flattened perspective from farther away like in most photos (other than selfies). They used to teach photographers that using a longer lens that flattened perspective made more flattering portraits, but opinions differ and sometimes the closer perspective can look "cuter" because it gives you a little bit of an elfish, or childlike appearance. Pic related.
>>
File: me me me me.jpg (588 KB, 1088x1920) Image search: [Google]
me me me me.jpg
588 KB, 1088x1920
>>24301878
Pretty much this.

But, I can't tell if I'm hideously ugly or a decent 5/10.

I've gotten wildly varying opinions on my looks. Lots of people have explicitly called me attractive/handsome both irl and online, but what I see what I actually look like in pics or a reversed image of me on cam, I look like a fucking ogre and I immediately turn my head.

No one, as far as I know has really called me grotesque but looking at a non-mirrored image of myself shows me how asymmetrical my face really is and I get kind disgusted.
>>
>>24301966
you do look like an ogre desu. take a picture from a different angle and more lighting.
>>
>>24301966
there is no way this is the best picture you have of yourself
>>
>>24301966
If you're attractive, it sure as fuck doesn't show in this image.
>>
>>24301988
>>24301989
>>24302029
That isn't me, you fucks. I'm not gonna post my face on this fucking board.
>>
>>24302049
okay

still though, you should try different angles and lighting to check yourself out.
>>
>>24301878
Is the "true" image that a $50 webcam projects through my monitor the same image that a person in front of my face and facing me sees?
>>
>>24302150
No you retard.
>>
The angles available on your mirrors are the only perspectives you've accepted yourself through.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.