[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bee Yourself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: yata2.jpg (550 KB, 1440x2371) Image search: [Google]
yata2.jpg
550 KB, 1440x2371
OK normies, androids, and non shit-tier people hanging out in /r9k/:

Can you explain to me what the fuck "Be Yourself" is supposed to convey? Isn't the one of the main ideas of Buddhism/Zen is that the ego is a fake concept that your brain generates? How can I "Be Myself" if my self is a figment of my own imagination?

Pic absolutely unrelated.
>>
It means be true to yourself and don't adopt a personna contrived to make people like you.

That doesn't mean to persist in being an asshole - your self has to be generally accepting of others, not lacking in humility and basically not like any of the robot sperglords that think they're a master race despite the fact they're never going to breed.

Or put another way, being yourself works best if you're willing to improve who you are.
>>
File: 1461800909144.jpg (260 KB, 1141x711) Image search: [Google]
1461800909144.jpg
260 KB, 1141x711
It means "be like me", but the one saying it doesnt want to sound like hes bragging, it's a backhanded compliment of sorts, like "you are totally good enough"
>>
The ego thing works like this:

Your ego is the thing that separates you from the universe. Your concept of self is the thing that dies when your brain dies. We're all composed of atoms that essentially came from the same source so we're all made of the same stuff and essentially are the same thing.

Space travel notwithstanding we're just a part of the surface of the earth. When we die we get recycled by the Earth. If you stand far enough back then we're just part of the Earth - it's our egos that make us think otherwise.

If you can lose the ego then you can never die because you were never alive in the first place.

It's not easy to put into words but we are the universe.
>>
>>29055399
>improve who you are
>don't adopt a persona contrived

which is it, faggot?

>>29055593
see telling me to "be one with the universe" makes more sense than "be something that is entirely contrived in the first place"
>>
>>29055643

>improve who you are
>don't adopt a persona contrived

Two totally different things sillybilly. A contrived persona would be pretending you love football when you don't because you think people will like you more.

Improving who you are is realising you correct people when it doesn't matter and realising that constantly correcting people is abrasive and upsets people so in order to make the lives of people you deal with on a daily basis more pleasant, you stop correcting them unless it will make a significant difference.
>>
>>29056199
but you're still contriving the persona of not caring about correcting people when you still internally care about said correctness
>>
>>29056244
No, you just come to terms with the fact that it's not important to correct people constantly. It's like a form of OCD the compulsion to correct people. You make an effort not to do it and eventually you break the compulsion. One day you realise you no longer care.

It's not the other person being wrong that bothers you but the fact that you want to be seen to be right that makes you do it.

You can get over this and become a better person. It's not a false persona it's a genuine improvement.

It's the difference between injecting your muscles with synthol and training in the gym.
>>
>>29056491
You can also start enjoying football, so dislike for football might be just a compulsion.
>>
>>29056491
>It's not the other person being wrong that bothers you but the fact that you want to be seen to be right that makes you do it.

nice false assumption dumbass.
>>
>>29056605
You are a shit tier human.
>>
>>29056653
ah yes, the shit tier human being because I am not constantly obsessed with myself and my appearance to others
>>
It doesn't mean anything without context.

"Be yourself"

"Take responsibility"

"Improve yourself"

"Take control"

Without context all this "advice" is meaningless.
>>
>>29055310
be yourself is the worst well intended advice people give too often.

Be authentic. However, being yourself if it hasn't worked so far is retarded.
>>
>>29056601
Way to miss the point sperglord.

What if you're indifferent to football but feign interest. Indifference isn't a compulsion.

Are you really so lacking in imagination that you can't take pointers from some basic examples?
>>
>>29056653
He being a shit tier human does not make him any less right about his point.

>It's not the other person being wrong that bothers you but the fact that you want to be seen to be right that makes you do it.
Debates are done because people don't like falsehoods, it hurts them. Normies do it as well.
>>
>>29056605
Nice lack of self awareness shitbreath.
>>
>>29056784
But how is one "improving yourself" and the other "being fake"? Because one is passive (not doing it) and the other active (doing it)?

What's the limit between a characteristic that is part of your essence and a characteristic that is just an addon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
>>
>>29056906
You miss the point.

Does liking football make you a better person? No.

Does eliminating one of your character flaws make you a better person? Yes.

Are you being yourself if you pretend to like something you don't? No.

Are you being yourself if you've eliminated a character flaw? Yes, just a better version.
>>
>>29057049
How do you know that eliminating such flaw is not making yourself not you?
It goes back to the problem of the Ship of Theseus.
>>
be yourself = act and think without influence from the outside.
>>
>>29057096
It just depends on what you define as you. Most people think they are a version of their past self. People love saying things like "I'm the sort of person that ..." they think they know who they are but it's probably far from the truth.

You're clearly not the same person you were when you were a child but you are at the same time.

A better analogy is when does a heap become a pile? You have a heap of sand and a pile of sand and move one grain from one to the other repeatedly ... when does the heap become a pile?

The you that is you is like the you as a child wrapped in many layers of experience. You can file some parts down, chop other parts off, build some parts up more than others but it's still you.

It's not the same as the ship analogy because your self isn't built of discrete interchangeable parts it's more like a lump of clay.

It might be that snapshots taken twenty years apart would be unrecognisable but on consecutive days they'd be virtually identical.
>>
>>29057469
>your self is a lump of clay

ayyyyyyy lmao

>You're clearly not the same person you were when you were a child but you are at the same time.

This is entirely the point of the Ship.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.