[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>good at public speaking >useless at one-to-one talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1462269414643.png (71 KB, 1456x1108) Image search: [Google]
1462269414643.png
71 KB, 1456x1108
>good at public speaking
>useless at one-to-one talking

Who else?
>>
File: 1462455350965.png (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1462455350965.png
53 KB, 645x773
>>29018082
>useless at public speaking
>useless at one to one talking
>useless at life
>>
File: [screams internally].gif (994 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
[screams internally].gif
994 KB, 500x279
>>29018082
I have absolutely no problems orating / announcing / dictating to a large group of people, but talking with another person in a casual context is tortuously awkward. I'm just really bad at small talk and I hate having to engage in it.
>>
File: 1459847824411.jpg (707 KB, 868x5000) Image search: [Google]
1459847824411.jpg
707 KB, 868x5000
>>29018082
>>29018850
this, 100%
I've been in front of literally hundreds of people, and so long as both me and the audience know on some level what's expected, even if what I'm saying is off the cuff, I have no problems

Once my parents and teachers realized I was good at it, I was forced to do public speaking/debating all through elementary school and highschool as a hopeful cure for my undiagnosed autism (I even represented my school at some international competitions Deerfield Academy, MA 2009)
Looked great on university applications, but here I am six years into four year degree with a dumpster-fire GPA because I am physically unable to interact with human beings off-script.
In the nine weeks since term ended, I've only left the house four times, each time for (useless) appointments with my shrink and to re-provision.
I pray for death.
>>
>tfw make tons of friends from hilarious and well thought out speeches
>tfw actually talk 1v1 with them and they never talk to me again.
>>
>>29018082
>>29018850
kek, didn't think anyone else was the same

I'm great at public speaking, really confident. Yet at the same I'm a virgin who can barely handle talking to women without feeling sick from anxiety. I don't get it.
>>
>>29018082
>>29018850
>>29019506

Do something with your skill, become Hitler 2.0.
>>
>>29018082
Vulnerability is scary and one on one conversations demand that you either display vulnerability or pretend to have vulnerabilities. Most normies have insane amounts of friends purely because they aren't afraid to look like fools, they bond with each other through sharing these vulnerabilities/secrets. Tbh, I couldn't give enough of a fuck about an entire group of people to share as much as Normans do. These idiots are consistently talking about the sex they've had in grotesque detail and their explosive diarrhea.
>>
>>29019597
Just pretend to cry or something, be angry over a broken heart or some shit. Creating friendship isn't horribly hard. But most people are full of shit anyway.
>>
>>29018082
Used to be the same, then I started autistically analyzing what people actually did when small-talking and now I can get by somewhat by preparing. As soon as something unexpected happens it all falls apart though.
>>
>>29019623
These vulnerabilities are also the shit that keeps groups of normans seemingly tight-knit and friendly. They're mostly pretending to get along and putting up with other people's bullshit because they don't want their secrets to get out.
>>
File: 4th Reich When.jpg (160 KB, 654x900) Image search: [Google]
4th Reich When.jpg
160 KB, 654x900
>>29019600
Funny you say that, sometimes I entertain fantasies of attaining power and prestige much like Hitler did and inspiring the nation with rousing speeches. Except without all the xenophobia and genocide.

>>29019623
>Vulnerability is scary and one on one conversations demand that you either display vulnerability or pretend to have vulnerabilities.

This is part of what does me in. I absolutely hate leaving myself vulnerable to anyone.
>>
File: 1464561841255.png (84 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1464561841255.png
84 KB, 640x400
>Stammer

I was doomed from the start.
>>
>>29019683
>Except without all the xenophobia and genocide.
nevermind don't bother.
>>
>>29019597
Not sure, but I'd say that public speaking is totally different form of expression, when you're in a group or with one person, you have to make a back and forth discussion with both parties giving and input, which doesn't apply to public speaking at all, where only one person takes over and is in almost no means social and doesn't require almost no social skills to execute properly.

Also often times when you are public speaking its on a behalf of something, like presenting a project or presentation, in which case you have a mandate and clear goal to achieve, it's easy to focus on and fulfill, because it has clear boundries as opposed to one on one discussion, where you are merely yourself and there isn't any particular easy pathway to follow, it's pretty much follow the flow of conversation on the spot, which takes loads of personality and social skills to make it work.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.