[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a few questions for people who were diagnosed with a mental/psychological
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: freud.jpg (26 KB, 341x500) Image search: [Google]
freud.jpg
26 KB, 341x500
I have a few questions for people who were diagnosed with a mental/psychological condition by a medical professional:

What is your condition and what treatments do you receive for it?

Was it worth it to have your condition diagnosed?

Would you say that you feel better, as a whole?

Would you recommend that someone suffering from your condition or similar conditions seek medical help or does the treatment and stigma outweigh it?
>>
I'm borderline and know one day someone will tick me off the wrong way and i'll do something really stupid which is why I avoid most social interactions .
>>
>>28918385
Alright, OP....

>What is your condition and what treatments do you receive for it?
I was diagnosed with having depression and suicidal ideation. Treatments? Wide variety of meds. Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Prozac, and many others I can't remember. Kinda along the lines of "Well, let's try this and see if it works...because we haven't yet"

>Was it worth it to have your condition diagnosed?
No. The underlying problems that cause your depression aren't going to go away. Professional help isn't going to change that.

>Would you say that you feel better, as a whole?
So-So. I quit taking psychiatric drugs. I also try not to expose myself to as much stress as I used to. Eventually the anxiety of youth will go away anyway when all your fears come to fruition and you find yourself the loser you always hoped and prayed you'd never become. Once I hit 30, I just quit caring so much about my life going nowhere despite working my ass off to be successful. Knowing that success will elude me no matter how hard I work at life, I'm much less stressed trying to make something of myself.

>Would you recommend that someone suffering from your condition or similar conditions seek medical help or does the treatment and stigma outweigh it?
Seems pretty pointless. Reality if the problem. Professional psychiatric help isn't going to change it. It's better just to learn to live with it.
>>
I was diagnosed with "clinical depression" and went to a therapist once a week for 4 years.

worth it is hard to say because I don't feel like it wasn't something i knew. But maybe it was because at least some people were more understanding of me being a boring downer all the time.

I feel much better now but I don't think it really had anything to do with the therapy. The major changes I made in my life that I think made the difference are not related to what I did in therapy.

Something like this is so specific to the person that its really just going to come down to if the specific treatment worked for the specific person. So its not really something I can recommend, but I would say keep an open mind for different treatments.
>>
>>28918385
>What is your condition and what treatments do you receive for it?
depression, anxiety, OCD, trichotillomania (hair pulling)
currently I see a counselor every other week and take 10mg Lexapro daily. I've been on all sorts of shit since I was diagnosed four years ago: Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, Celexa
>Was it worth it to have your condition diagnosed?
yes. I was a bit of a hypochondriac as a kid and was always told to suck it up when I had a cold and thought I was dying of the flu or rolled my ankle and thought it was broken. so as a teen when I was having depressive/suicidal thoughts or panic attacks I'd think I was overreacting again. having a medical professional tell me that I'm not crazy and these things aren't normal and can be fixed made a huge difference.
>Would you say that you feel better, as a whole?
yes, although lifestyle changes could also contribute. I was off and on all sorts of meds for the first couple years of treatment while I was in college but now I'm out and have a stable relationship so I think that helped, especially since my SO is very supportive. plus I found a therapist I really like
>Would you recommend that someone suffering from your condition or similar conditions seek medical help or does the treatment and stigma outweigh it?
yes. I've become a big advocate for getting help if you think you need it and even if you don't. I'm open about my illnesses and have helped a couple friends get treatment too
>>
PTSD and depression. I got shit like seroquel and then other disgusting pills. I remember taking lithium at one point. I didn't like any of it.

No it wasn't worth it. It doesn't help me to know it and just gives me an excuse.

No I feel worse.

No I wouldn't.
>>
>>28919271
>No it wasn't worth it. It doesn't help me to know it and just gives me an excuse.

yeah I've had days/weeks where I felt depressed and didn't get out of bed at all but told myself it was okay because I have depression whereas before I'd be like hey maybe this isn't normal
still wouldn't get out of bed tho
>>
>>28918385
I have had several professionals diagnose me with depression and anxiety disorders.

I have been to a great deal of therapy.

I am not better for it. I understand myself more, but the feelings still come and they still sap my will to live and cause me to flail and waste time and age without living. I have not developed any sucessful comping mechanisms outside of washing dishes as a therapeutic sense of cleansing and preparation for "real life" (which never comes).
>>
If anyone says it was worth it they arent a robot
>>
>>28918765
Out of curiosity do you work? If so, what do you do and why do you feel you have failed?
>>
>>28919398
I think it's worth it to go to therapy so I can have required social interaction each week
>>
>>28918385
I was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder last week

I was prescribed two medications that pretty much would have a month of rapid mood swings, nauseousness, drowsiness, migraines, and decreased sex drive.

I feel a lot worse than I did prior to being diagnosed, but it probably would have gotten much worse later

But more than 50% of people who are bipolar try suicide, so if that says anything about how severe it is... And maybe after this month I'll be normal again. Who knows?
>>
>>28919726
the first few months of meds are the worst, especially since it takes a while for them to get the right med or mix of meds
good luck friend
>>
>>28918385
>diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome
>didn't prescribe any treatment
Guess they just want me to suck it up, fampai
>>
>>28919454
I work as an auto mechanic. I've also worked as a retail clerk, student, and a US Marine.

Best I could ever achieve was competent/semi-competent mediocrity. Not terrible...but nowhere near as good as I should be for the time and effort invested.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.